Ipswich Town vs Coventry City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we p*ss on their parade?

Ipswich Win
15%
Coventry Win
80%
Draw
5%

Total votes: 20

Ricco

Re: Ipswich Town vs Coventry City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ricco » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 pm

Well that is a pretty shocking waste of money when put that way! I don't know what it all amounts to, but I find it hard to believe we have reinvested all acquired money in a window at any point in Evans' reign.

Webster had a sell on clause, so we would have made money on that, how much I don't know. This club has been so poorly run from top to bottom for so long. I'm exasperated, the amount of money we've wasted and good players we've let go is really upsetting.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:07 am

We all invest a lot of money in our cars. When the car breaks down, what do we do???

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:53 am

Bus pass?

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:49 am

Ricco wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 pm
Well that is a pretty shocking waste of money when put that way! I don't know what it all amounts to, but I find it hard to believe we have reinvested all acquired money in a window at any point in Evans' reign.

Webster had a sell on clause, so we would have made money on that, how much I don't know. This club has been so poorly run from top to bottom for so long. I'm exasperated, the amount of money we've wasted and good players we've let go is really upsetting.
I may be completely wrong and being over simplistic but:

I believe we operate at a loss year on year. That means every penny that comes in is being spent, and more besides. I guess the vast majority goes on wages, followed by transfer fees. The only solutions are a smaller squad (which I'm sure we would if only someone would buy our injury-prone or underperforming players) or somehow find good, expensive players who'll play for low wages!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:07 am

Simple solution. Performance related wages.

My company carries out “one day” heating installations. Squads of three. They’ve got 4 installs a week. Sounds difficult but it’s a bit Groundhog Day-ish. But each guy rely’s on the other to do their bit to get the jobs done. Any drop in performance and the wages reflect that. They’re paid very well by the way.
Basically getting these overpaid footballers to actually UNDERSTAND that it’s a JOB they’re doing.

On this basis, ITFC should be richer than many “championship” sides (never mind League One) due to no one being paid for the past two months. That money would make a nice transfer kitty for a new player to come in.

The existing group would certainly pull their fingers out if their wages comes into question. No one plays for the shirt anymore.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:04 am

Andym wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:49 am
That means every penny that comes in is being spent
I mean that as a bottom line is true, but the championship is a loss making division, I think it's extremely unlikely that I'm wrong in saying that a club has not made a sustained profit in the championship.

Money is made by those clubs by the occasional promotion, plus money filtering down from a big sale of a youngster or unearthed gem. Without that you're running at a guaranteed loss. By playing damage limitation Evans removed the chance of the former and used the latter to keep the accountants from vomiting every time they looked at the bottom line.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:38 am

Andym wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:49 am
Ricco wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 pm

I may be completely wrong and being over simplistic but:

I believe we operate at a loss year on year. That means every penny that comes in is being spent, and more besides. I guess the vast majority goes on wages, followed by transfer fees. The only solutions are a smaller squad (which I'm sure we would if only someone would buy our injury-prone or underperforming players) or somehow find good, expensive players who'll play for low wages!
Our squad size is a major factor. We’ll surely be forced to reduce that - but with what? The rotation wouldn’t have occurred if we had first-choice players who knew their roles and were fit enough to play X amount of games. It’s amazing that with the size of our squad we still had to play so many players out of position. And we only had one physically adequate midfielder (Downes) amongst about 7 or 8 midfielders. And no real target man. Did Lambert think hard enough about the balance of the squad and really do enough wheeling n dealing? For example, could we have brought in a couple of players who were the right type, whilst instead kept god knows how many midfielders who can’t add any drive or grit or , even, goals to the team. It’s a hindsight thing, but Lambert had 2/3 of last season to prepare for League 1. How many managers get that luxury?
And we’re now going to have to try to offload players whose reputations and values have decreased in the last season.