...and Lambo is going nowhere

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

...and Lambo is going nowhere

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:51 pm

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: ...and Lambo is going nowhere

Post by marko69 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:10 pm

Some proper scathing comments amongst that lot. Even though I agree that things weren’t going to plan, ..... after nearly three months of nothing, the anger is still at a fairly high level. I thought people would’ve been slightly chilled. Maybe even looking forward to any sort of football.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:40 pm

Quite right too, I dont see any better option given our situation.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:00 pm

I was happy to see PL sign a long term deal but the realisation is we have finished 11th our lowest league position in 60 odd years. I think The season ending early has given PL a bit of time. Big start to next season needed otherwise he will be gone by XMas.

My biggest gripe and always has been since Covid is those teams who voted to end the season will now play in the play offs, this is morally wrong imo. I also feel for Tranmere, today football lost it’s integrity.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:27 pm

I think footy lost its integrity in 1992 Ando. But, yep , it does seem rather blizzare to end the season yet still have the play offs. When will they be played? Where? What’s the process? Will Wembley happen? There’s still questions to be answered.
Although I think PL right royally f*cked up, I don’t see how we can change now.. who would come in? What money could there possibly be for player buys anyway? We just need to pray we can keep some of our more talented players.. if we have any 😂😂

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:36 am

What were they going to do, just ship him out and seek a replacement for when we're underway once again. This isn't even news, it's been a quiet time for the last few weeks, no field action to speak of so what do they do, present a message that most would have realized without need of statement.

The Ipswich Town hierarchy i.e. directors, those on a plateau with required authority invariably seem to be over-tolerant or lenient when it comes to managers coming in and making a continued blunder or week after week of prolonged garbage / lack of progress therefore whatever was disclosed today is it really any surprise.

Better still who would even hire him. Been found out time and again, lo and behold he remains in place where he can continue to underachieve with little risk in the way of termination. Must resemble a pig in sh*t when the media aren't on him / away from focus.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:59 am

It wouldn’t make any sense to change managers now. Evans would still have to pay out his contract. It also doesn’t make sense to expect any significant Investment in the club. Evans was tight when his other business was profitable, it’ll only get worse. So, I’ve decided just to accept League One football and watch the team grow. Let’s see what Lambert can do. Let’s see how the youngsters progress. Let’s not expect promotion. Let’s earn it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:11 am

We had a bad couple of months before we stopped and we have the paid for that,” Lambert told the club site.

No Paul, we had two great months at the start, and then we had five sh*t months.

Due to the Covid situation, I can’t say I’m that bothered he’s staying, but Lambert has got to stop talking sh*t. He’s not fooling anyone - it was a terrible season. If it wasn’t for those two first months, we would have been in a relegation battle.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:39 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:11 am
We had a bad couple of months before we stopped and we have the paid for that,” Lambert told the club site.

No Paul, we had two great months at the start, and then we had five sh*t months.

Due to the Covid situation, I can’t say I’m that bothered he’s staying, but Lambert has got to stop talking sh*t. He’s not fooling anyone - it was a terrible season. If it wasn’t for those two first months, we would have been in a relegation battle.
It's true. the start was fairly sh*te too. Results convinced some people that all was lovely but it wasn't. I won't repeat the post I've just made elsewhere.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:36 am

And hopefully the covid19 has helped Lambert with his hearing.
Remember he was hearing things?
“I’ll leave now! I’ll just go!”

What? Eh? 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully that’s sorted, Paul.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:34 pm

Andym wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:39 am
tangfastic wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:11 am

It's true. the start was fairly sh*te too. Results convinced some people that all was lovely but it wasn't. I won't repeat the post I've just made elsewhere.
w
No, you were right, Andy, we weren’t that good. Having said that, even though the football wasn’t the most convincing, I enjoyed those two months. It was just great to be winning games and top of the league. It felt like the tide had turned. I can understand why people got carried away.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:06 pm

Ipswich Town failing couldn’t have been worse for you Andy. :lol: They are just not helping you out of that pessimistic hole you’re in at all eh?

I am joking sort of, but are you the guy who gets that overly inflated tax bill because you “thought” you would? :lol:

I’ve got a particular buddy who failed his driving test four times, who’s car then fails it’s MOT every year, who’s vet bills are through the roof, who gets charged for a Big Mac meal when he only ordered a coffee........, it’s ALWAYS him. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:31 pm

The fact we were top in January suggests more than Two decent months, even when we were in decline there were numerous games in which we were the better side and should have got more out of them than we did, I'm not saying we were great but we gifted inferior teams the points several times, maybe that suggests a soft underbelly to the team but injuries to key players sure didnt help either, our season definitely went into decline the moment Kane Vincent-Young went AWOL.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:36 pm

What’s done is done and there’s no point looking back because we can change anything. So, more to the point looking forward, what’s our expectations for next season everyone, assuming we’re still solvent ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:57 pm

What about solvent abuse? That an option?

Joking of course. To the youngsters on TB.com, do NOT try solvent abuse immediately after reading a TWTD comments section.

Hashtag: Resist.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:27 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:36 pm
What’s done is done and there’s no point looking back because we can change anything. So, more to the point looking forward, what’s our expectations for next season everyone, assuming we’re still solvent ?
Personally, I think it's gonna be a couple years of rebuilding. The money is going to get especially tight now which means we'll have to rely on our youngsters even more. The squad will probably go through inconsistencies (much like this season) for a while during the process. I'm fairly confident the outcome will eventually be positive, and we'll have a talented, cohesive, young team. I still have a lot of respect for Klug, and our academy...although I have questioned the effectiveness of both in the past. For the first time as a fan, I've lowered my expectations for the club ever achieving any great success again in the future. I just want us to be respected as a good, footballing club again no matter what league we're in.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:45 pm

The one good thing I see coming out of this is lack of finance becoming a leveller in Leagues 1 & 2. There are no parachute payment clubs to compete against and the clubs relegated from the Championship tend to be the poorer ones. If anything we will probably be one of the better off clubs given our season ticket income, gate receipts and sponsorship money will most likely be at the top end for clubs at our level.
Success will therefore be directly linked to player development, coaching, managerial expertise, tactical awareness, motivation and a bit of luck. If this is the case and I’ve not simplified it too much, surely we should have every chance of challenging for a play off place and shouldn’t easily accept or expect anything less.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:05 pm

Those last 2 posts are bang on

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:21 pm

I think given the fact that ALL clubs in L1 & 2 will be seriously hampered by the financial side of Covid, it should help us. We have a good academy, and IF lambert can actually stick to a best 11 or so, we may get some consistency and challenge for the play offs.

I am optimistic that we will be one of the better off clubs in this league, and that may help us get some players in who are released by others due to the Covid financial situation. Maybe I am being too optimistic, but that's just the way I roll :-)

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:32 pm

I must add, it made me laugh when Lambo said he would have done one or two things differently if he could do the season again.....

November to January and February to March :lol:

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:10 pm

I agree with 9 and Charnwood. I am always pessimistic by nature but I get more carried away by good football than results. We should be one of the better off clubs once crowds are allowed back. That was also true last season of course . ...

It will be increasingly more difficult to hang on to our good youngsters as I suspect the financial divide will get wider. But bringing on the youngsters - even to sell on - is key.

I'm still far from convinced there'll be a season at all. I can't see fans being allowed by August and most clubs simply can't afford to play that way. If we do, we will win the league if we attack. Otherwise it's mid table or lower again.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:25 pm

And with less money maybe the youngsters will get the chance, (and have a desire) to just play the game. None of this sitting on a bench for months getting full pay. New beginnings ahead.

Agreed about being regarded as a respected footballing side........ but...... do not go further down than League One.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:27 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:45 pm
The one good thing I see coming out of this is lack of finance becoming a leveller in Leagues 1 & 2. There are no parachute payment clubs to compete against and the clubs relegated from the Championship tend to be the poorer ones. If anything we will probably be one of the better off clubs given our season ticket income, gate receipts and sponsorship money will most likely be at the top end for clubs at our level.
Success will therefore be directly linked to player development, coaching, managerial expertise, tactical awareness, motivation and a bit of luck. If this is the case and I’ve not simplified it too much, surely we should have every chance of challenging for a play off place and shouldn’t easily accept or expect anything less.
Good points but have we seen that Lambert can do this?
We have seen teams with players and managers that we hardly know come and play us off the park in the games after Christmas! I just don’t think he has got what it takes now.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:11 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:27 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Good points but have we seen that Lambert can do this?
We have seen teams with players and managers that we hardly know come and play us off the park in the games after Christmas! I just don’t think he has got what it takes now.
... this will be the test, from what I’ve seen so far bluejacko , Lambo still has to prove himself. Hopefully he will step up a level and prove himself to all who doubt him.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:29 pm

Andym wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:10 pm
I agree with 9 and Charnwood. I am always pessimistic by nature but I get more carried away by good football than results. We should be one of the better off clubs once crowds are allowed back. That was also true last season of course . ...

It will be increasingly more difficult to hang on to our good youngsters as I suspect the financial divide will get wider. But bringing on the youngsters - even to sell on - is key.

I'm still far from convinced there'll be a season at all. I can't see fans being allowed by August and most clubs simply can't afford to play that way. If we do, we will win the league if we attack. Otherwise it's mid table or lower again.
Let’s hope we attack then Andy, I’ll drink to that 🍻

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:33 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:57 pm
What about solvent abuse? That an option?

Joking of course. To the youngsters on TB.com, do NOT try solvent abuse immediately after reading a TWTD comments section.

Hashtag: Resist.
I promise not to try it marko { sniff}

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:36 am

I think we’ll be alright. Last season, we were a relatively big fish in a small pond, but next season we’ll be a smaller fish in an much smaller pond.
I expect bigger clubs will pick off a Downes or a Woolfenden from us..... but we could pick off decent League One players very cheaply or as freebies. There’s going to be lots of players out of contract or needed to be sold to keep club’s afloat. And alongside the youngsters, we need to bring in some experience. Experienced players like Judge, Nolan, Toto, Huws, Keane, etc did not cut it last season at this level and we need to offload where possible. Lambo proved he couldn’t handle a big squad and he’d be better off with a tighter squad who aren’t so injury-prone. Getting the most out of the youngsters could be crucial, but some shrewd recruitment here and there could also be a major factor.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:39 pm

Charnwood wrote:
I think this is exactly the intended pathway The Club have set out upon. Over a year ago, Lambert and Evans said they were going to look to a different approach. One that meant focusing on developing our own academy players ....” aiming to have 50% of the First team within 5 years, comprising of players developed through our own academy”. Last season I think Klug said we were ahead of schedule. Last season Evans also laid out the Clubs strategy of recruiting “ younger players from lower divisions with the aim of developing the, further within the Club”. I think players like Josh Earl who we had here on loan ( from Tranmere?), and more recently , Crane signed from Bury Town ( Suffolk) is an indication that we are actively looking for these types of players. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Josh Earl return here for the next season. I’m trying to find out if this might happen, as he is a good friend of my friends daughter who live in Manchester.

Fans are perhaps unrealistic , or perhaps more accurate to say, impatient for things to change on the pitch, but the building of the squad from the bottom up takes time....several seasons. Lambert actually alluded to that this time last year when during an interview (when asked what was the aim for the season 2019/20), he said “obviously promotion, we will try our best”....but then he also said this might happen this year, but may take a couple of seasons, I don’t know“. I think that last little comment went under the radar a bit for many..but it definitely wasn’t lost on me at the time.

I really AM looking forward to seeing a much younger squad this coming season. Lambert really does need to clear out the older journeymen. The recruitment of younger players from the lower divisions will be cheaper, and therefore within the new budget constraints. In some ways (and I don’t want this taken the wrong way ie no ambition), but being in League One for another season, away from the influences of the toxic Premier League / Championship, Money-go- round, farce that Sky have created, will allow Town to rebuild at a steady and more sustainable pace. The younger players can develop at that next senior level and grow together. Our biggest issue will be hanging onto these better players. I can accept we , like 95% of clubs are selling Clubs, but only if Evans actually starts to get fair prices for these players. But this is more to do with the EFL and PL hierarchy creating some form of more equitable regulation surrounding fees for young players in this Country. But that’s a whole different debate for another day.

Going forwards, Lambert must address the squad size, playing style and his rotation system must end to the degree he used it last season.

NB the other critical thing I’ve forgotten to mention is the need for at least THREE “ leaders” in the team ( ideally spread throughout the 3 thirds of the pitch. We simply don’t have and guts in the squad to deal with the physicality of League One. As a side , Town have been bullied off the ball for YEARS. This has to change.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:11 pm

Great post Liz and you are correct with the Lambert comments about promotion maybe taking a couple of years, most chose to ignore it but in fairness I thought we'd go straight back up. Building with the kids is the right approach and if it takes a couple of years then so be it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:08 pm

I’m not sure if that is prescient wisdom from Lambo about this being a longish project. I think he was giving himself a safety net if it went tits up. And it did.

TBH .... I didn’t see a team being built or any long term planning. We couldn’t guess the team from week to week and there were wasn’t any consistent formations. It felt like a bit of a muddle.

I think Lambo’s bought himself more time with the Covid situation and the expectation levels from many will be more realistic, but he’s got to get more out of his players whoever they are.