Ipswich Town v Wolves, FA Cup 4th Round, 24th January 1977

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:34 pm

A Portman Road crowd of 32,996 were present to see First Division Ipswich Town and Second Division Wolves contest an FA Cup 4th Round tie on 29th January 1977.including over 5k from the Black Country Capital.

Link to watching the highlights,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRQJsnkOqpk

Image...............V.................Image

Ipswich team Photo 1976/77

……………………………………..
Wolves team Photo 1976/77

……………………………………..

Ipswich Town Manager Bobby Robson.. 1969–1982
Robert William Robson (18 February 1933 – 31 July 2009) was an English footballer and football manager. His career included periods playing for and later managing the England national team and being a UEFA Cup-winning manager at Ipswich Town

Wolves Manager Sammy Chung…1976–1978
Cyril Chung known as Sammy Chung (born 16 July 1932) is an English former football player and manager. His father was Chinese and his mother English.Came to the Wolves as Bill Mcgarry assistant in 1968
……………………………………………………….

Players to Watch
………………………..
Ipswich Town,…Paul Mariner

A centre forward during his playing days, Mariner began his career with Chorley. He became a professional player in 1973 with Plymouth Argyle, where he scored 61 goals in 155 appearances and is considered to be one of the club's best players. He joined Ipswich Town in 1976, where he achieved domestic and European success under the guidance of Bobby Robson. He was called up to play for the England national team during his time at Portman Road, and went on to represent his country at the 1980 European Championships and the 1982 World Cup. He spent two years with Arsenal and then Portsmouth before finishing his career abroad. He played for clubs in Australia, the US, and Malta.
………………………………………………………….

Wolves ..John Richards

Richards signed for the Molineux club as a professional in July 1969 and made his debut on 28 February 1970 in a 3–3 draw at West Bromwich Albion. He scored his first league goal for Wolves the following season against Huddersfield Town on 19 September 1970.
In 1971–72, "King John" came of age, scoring 13 league goals and helping Wolves become runners-up in the UEFA Cup. The following season, he was even stronger, scoring 36 goals in total (his highest seasonal tally) and, in 1974, he scored the winning goal as the team beat Manchester City to win the League Cup. Richards was leading scorer for Wolves in six of the next seven seasons, culminating in winning a second League Cup medal in 1980 against Nottingham Forest.
During his time with the club, Richards became Wolves' all-time leading scorer with 194 goals in total, a record that was subsequently bettered by Steve Bull in 1992. However, he still holds the club record for the most FA Cup goals, with 24.

…………………………………………………………………….

Caption 1

……………………………………………………………………
Caption 1
………………………………………………………………….

Ipswich Town Last 6 matches

• Birmingham City 2 Town 4
• Town 0 Derby County 0
• Coventry City 1 Town 1
• Town 2 Manchester United 1
• Town 2 Everton 0
• Spurs 1 Town 0

Wolves last 6 matches

• Chelsea 3 Wolves 3
• Wolves 1 Bolton 0
• Bristol Rovers 1 Wolves 5
• Millwall 1 Wolves 1
• Wolves 3 Rotherham 2 FA Cup
• Burnley 0 Wolves 0
………………………………………………………….

Town Final League position in the old div 1.
1st Liverpool...………………..... 42-57
2nd Manchester City...………..-42-56
3rd Ipswich Town...……………. 42- 52

………………………………………………………….

Wolves Final League position in the old Div 2 .
1st Wolves .........………………...........42-57
2nd Chelsea ...........................….42 55
3rd Nott’m Forest ......................42-52

…………………………………………………………………………………

Ipswich Town 1976/77 results

https://footballsite.co.uk/Statistics/S ... hTown.html

Wolves 1976/77 Results
https://www.footballsite.co.uk/Statisti ... olves.html

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….

Interest Note from this season. 1976/77

Seems like a dream now but in 1976/77 you could watch a Fulham team that included George Best, Bobby Moore and Rodney Marsh. But even with that trio they only narrowly avoided relegation. Moore and Marsh played their final League matches during the season but Best remained at the Cottage for one more season.

can you name the others on this pic,
…………………………………………………..

George Best and Rodney Marsh Link to Fulham v Oldham
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=yo ... ORM=VDRVRV

Bobby Moore Link
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=yo ... ORM=VDRVRV

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town v Wolves, FA Cup 4th Round, 24th January 1977

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:02 am

Great stuff again Wolfie. Very entertaining read.

I recognise the black player but forget his name.The other three I think are Frank Lampard Senior, Alan Ball and Malky McDonald?

That team photo further up the thread of Wolves..... that font that “Wolverhampton W” is written in really takes me back to the 77 sticker album. All teams were in that font. Great memories of that panini album.

I’ll have a go at those captions later when this over zealous traffic warden goes the fk away. Think the wardens are making up for free CV19 parking! 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:14 pm

Watched the highlights.

Jeez... the pitch was in a state. Or probably the norm in those days. Our defence was shaky as hell - even Hunter was sloppy and Cooper was having a mare. I think modern technology would have shown the ball crossing the line. Warky looked a class act. Can’t ever remember Burley scoring so that was a collectors item.

Sounded like Gerry Harrison commenting - my favourite commentator as I always associate him with our glory days.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:18 pm

Was the “black player” not even a footballer, but Kenny Lynch the singer.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:50 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:18 pm
Was the “black player” not even a footballer, but Kenny Lynch the singer.
I Was just going to give a clue but you got it, Kenny Lynch

I have seen a picture somewhere that showed that was over the line, but I was to busy holding on to that iron fence for dear life to see it during the match lol

the crush was manic, I stood next to the Town fans but our side of the fence, they sold 5k tickets to us but should think you could add another thousand on that. :?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:03 pm

Yeah, I couldn't actually work out if he was a player or OJ "the juice" Simpson if i'm honest. :shock:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:34 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:03 pm
Yeah, I couldn't actually work out if he was a player or OJ "the juice" Simpson if i'm honest. :shock:
I might be wrong tho, but I thought it was him as he did hang about with Rodneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

little story on Rodney.