Wigan go under, it's started......

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dubai Blue

Wigan go under, it's started......

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:08 pm

hallamblue

Re: Wigan go under, it's started......

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:16 pm

Ironic that Sky are reporting it. I blame Sky for the majority of what’s wrong in st he game in this Country now.

It’ll be like a pack of cards ..... just waiting for Derby to go bust amongst a few others .

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:49 pm

Yes very sad. And I am sure they won’t be the only ones. Thankfully I don’t see us joining them......

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:10 pm

No, and that’ll be thanks to the owner whether we like or dislike him , it’s a fact .

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:30 pm

I’m surprised Wigan are the first to fall, I expected it to be a club with a club with a higher dependency on gate receipts.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:48 pm

The first domino to fall! As been asked how many more.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:31 pm

Such a shame but there's deffo gonna be a few more to come, especially at our level and lower, it's ironic that what Hallam says is true, Evans is most likely gonna be the saviour in these difficult times.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:31 pm
.....it's ironic that what Hallam says is true, Evans is most likely gonna be the saviour in these difficult times.
Very true. Don't think there is any situation any more ironic at ITFC at this moment in time.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:59 pm

I have to say that I think it is disgraceful how the EFL can put the boot in on a club who clearly have been a victim of the pandemic, what possible good can come from hitting them with a 12 point deduction in these unique circumstances, I find it utterly ridiculous if I'm honest, it is only going to make Wigan's obvious precarious position even more difficult, possibly even terminal.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:45 pm

So from the article they are going to wait and see where they finish before deciding when to apply the penalty.

Wonder why no mention of 13 points above relegation zone or are the EFL that arrogant they don't believe that Wigan can get that many points clear?

Only options they have considered is relegated and be punished or be punished so you are relegated.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:10 am

You talk like they're on the verge of extinction don't think it's anywhere near such magnitude. So the ongoing pandemic issue caused a problem there, are they unique in that no other team were affected. All hypothetical anyhow first you got to see where the team finishes for any points penalty to come into effect secondly reading a number of could be's and what if's, no confirmation / set in stone any action to be undertaken.

Up until 25 years back you'd associate Wigan with Rugby League, only established themselves on a "football" scene in quite recent time. So they need cash injection to survive in the months ahead but they don't state how much or pinpoint a deadline. Too much ambiguity as often, things left aside or it never tells the full picture. Fans left guessing for the most part. It's not our club so there's a certain sense of apathy about it. That said you got to feel a level of empathy for others and hope the situation rights itself in due course. As before they'll most likely survive albeit in a lower league (and) wouldn't say any freefall is irreversible.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:42 am

It’s a shame the EFL don’t allow Premier League Club owners to help local clubs in trouble. As I recall Bill Kenwright owner of Everton offered to personally clear Bury FC’s debt to keep them alive but the EFL wouldn’t allow it.

There are only so many people interested in investing in football clubs and by ruling out owners of Prem League clubs from helping out EFL clubs, the Football League are really limiting the chances of struggling clubs finding a benefactor.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:38 am

The EFL are a bunch of incompetent knobs .

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:29 pm

Former owner Dave Whelan could step in and save them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:59 pm

Bloody good bloke Dave Whelan

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:59 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:42 am
As I recall Bill Kenwright owner of Everton offered to personally clear Bury FC’s debt to keep them alive but the EFL wouldn’t allow it.
WHIT?? :shock: Seriously? That’s actually scandalous. What’s it got to do with EFL if clubs are helped by local clubs? Never read that story.
If it wasn’t for Sir Tom Farmer back in 89, there’d be no Hibernian FFS.

I find that entirely out of order. A club dear to thousands of fans, (especially the older ones that were interviewed,) have their club cease to exist ...... and it could’ve been saved?

Anyone know the legalities of that? Seems unbelievable.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:36 pm

marko69 wrote:
    Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:59 pm
    Charnwood wrote:
    Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:42 am
    As I recall Bill Kenwright owner of Everton offered to personally clear Bury FC’s debt to keep them alive but the EFL wouldn’t allow it.
    WHIT?? :shock: Seriously? That’s actually scandalous. What’s it got to do with EFL if clubs are helped by local clubs? Never read that story.
    If it wasn’t for Sir Tom Farmer back in 89, there’d be no Hibernian FFS.

I find that entirely out of order. A club dear to thousands of fans, (especially the older ones that were interviewed,) have their club cease to exist ...... and it could’ve been saved?

Anyone know the legalities of that? Seems unbelievable.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-ma ... r-50184255

According to this - it was PL rules and not the EFL ( conflict of interest).

marko69
    Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:22 pm

Even that....., still seems like a crazy ruling. Could see a conflict of interests (and maybe complaints from other PL Clubs) if Everton were maybe helping out a PL struggler, ie, Watford, Brighton........ But Bury FC? Too much power kicking about that English Premier League.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:27 pm

I hate the “Premier “, it’s more like the Masons. A closed shop, with funny handshakes. Bunch of self serving tossas IMo.

Bluemike
    Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:07 pm

Which is why I never want us in the Prem tbh, thankfully it will never be an issue anyhow

Ando

Post by Ando » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
    Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:59 pm
    I have to say that I think it is disgraceful how the EFL can put the boot in on a club who clearly have been a victim of the pandemic, what possible good can come from hitting them with a 12 point deduction in these unique circumstances, I find it utterly ridiculous if I'm honest, it is only going to make Wigan's obvious precarious position even more difficult, possibly even terminal.
    Mike we went into administration because of the collapse of TV deals if my memory serves me right and collapse in the transfer market Wigan clearly were running on empty and spent the money they did not have, I see no difference.

At this rate we will get promoted simply down to finances. We will end up with a 12 advantage, should get us into the play offs.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:55 pm

Lol ..,, this is Ipswich we’re talking about . We’d never get that lucky .

Bluemike
    Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:08 pm

Ando wrote:
    Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:49 pm
    Bluemike wrote:
    Mike we went into administration because of the collapse of TV deals if my memory serves me right and collapse in the transfer market Wigan clearly were running on empty and spent the money they did not have, I see no difference.

At this rate we will get promoted simply down to finances. We will end up with a 12 advantage, should get us into the play offs.
    Crikey mate we've spent what 120 million which we didn't have? I know who's worse.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:16 am

Bluemike wrote:
    Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:08 pm
    Ando wrote:
    Bluemike wrote:

Crikey mate we've spent what 120 million which we didn't have? I know who's worse.
    Maybe I am looking at it too simplistically.🤷‍♂️ Many Clubs spend beyond their means and only those with proper rich owners will survive.

What this pandemic has exposed further is what we already know, football operates on the edge when it comes to finances.

Salary caps will help only if they are applied across all professional leagues in England. But can’t see the PL wanting this because players from abroad will be less likely to come thus harming the TV money. Just imagine if those TV companies Who hold PL rights crashed, the PL would be finished.

Bluemike
    Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:29 am

Ando wrote:
    Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:16 am
    Bluemike wrote:
    Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:08 pm
    Ando wrote:

Maybe I am looking at it too simplistically.🤷‍♂️ Many Clubs spend beyond their means and only those with proper rich owners will survive.

What this pandemic has exposed further is what we already know, football operates on the edge when it comes to finances.

Salary caps will help only if they are applied across all professional leagues in England. But can’t see the PL wanting this because players from abroad will be less likely to come thus harming the TV money. Just imagine if those TV companies Who hold PL rights crashed, the PL would be finished.
    We can but hope.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:33 pm

I've always felt that there is a need for a salary cap at all levels. Not a club cap but an individual salary cap. Keep it quite low, topped up with appearance money which could be large.

The advantages of this system are:
    Larger clubs can afford larger squads.
    Clubs aren't paying huge salaries to the regularly injured.
    Players might be better off financially playing for a lower club than being a bench warmer (if that) at a larger club.

marko69
    Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:59 pm

Don’t think many football clubs run even “on the edge”, Ando. The vast majority are way beyond their means and way over the edge.

Be great if I had loads of employees but only one heating installation for the week, ...... and some other guy made up the massive shortfall in cash. 👍