Transfer Rumours

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: Transfer Rumours

Post by hallamblue » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:52 pm

I hope you’re right Mike. But don’t you think Lambert is sounding a tad frustrated , and almost anxious / desperate about it all?

It’d be a first if Town declined selling the crown jewrls wouldn’t it ( given the losses Evans has suffered over the last two years in particular) .

IF we could hold onto Downes, Woolfie, Norwood, Jackson then yes I agree we would only need ( IMO) a CB , Left Back and another Striker ( all of which could cost a few pennies tbh if they were any good ) . But Lambert sounds desperate to bring new players in doesn’t he !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:54 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:47 pm
Just seen that Richard Keogh is likely to sign for MK Dons. We’ve reputedly put in an offer for him, but he’s likely to sign for them. Too much of an injury risk for me, but surprised he’d choose MK Dons.
So, we put in an offer and he chooses MKD. What does that say about what we are prepared to offer players?

Maybe that’s why we’re not signing anyone?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:03 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:52 pm
I hope you’re right Mike. But don’t you think Lambert is sounding a tad frustrated , and almost anxious / desperate about it all?

It’d be a first if Town declined selling the crown jewrls wouldn’t it ( given the losses Evans has suffered over the last two years in particular) .

IF we could hold onto Downes, Woolfie, Norwood, Jackson then yes I agree we would only need ( IMO) a CB , Left Back and another Striker ( all of which could cost a few pennies tbh if they were any good ) . But Lambert sounds desperate to bring new players in doesn’t he !
He started getting stroppy a year ago... and then we signed KVY. Maybe a tactic to get Evans to spend some cash.

Or maybe is Evans is waiting for offers to come in for our players to shrink the squad first.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:37 pm

2 comments:

1. if we need players in, does that mean.all of you who kept saying we had the strongest squad in the league were wrong? Or did they just fail to perform? And if they did, can PL get any more out of anyone else?

2. We are in a very difficult position; the wage cap is still up in the air and we still have an enormous squad.....who apparently weren't good enough. So we need to get rid before we can consider bringing anyone in. But if they aren't good enough and still under contract, hiw do we get rid? Only by selling our few saleable assets.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:02 pm

I would be amazed if we put an offer in for Keogh, I doubt it very much.

Andy, we have lost Garbutt, keane, Norris, Nsiala to name but Four so we are only replacing like with like, I stand by my belief our squad when all fit and performing as they should was as strong as any team in the division, we outplayed Wycombe twice and they've gone up.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:15 pm

Know its been said in the past, (by me no doubt)...., but if Sir Bobby came back ----> "Wycombe? :shock: Higher league that Ipswich? Nooooo?!"

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:17 pm

Any news on us re signing Danny Rowe. I find this a strange one. He was playing well until he got injured.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:51 am

marko69 wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:15 pm
Know its been said in the past, (by me no doubt)...., but if Sir Bobby came back ----> "Wycombe? :shock: Higher league that Ipswich? Nooooo?!"
We’ve had it now marko . This salary cap will be voted in today which will essentially pull the bigger clubs in the division down to the smaller clubs level. With the Championship having a much higher salary cap (£18m), we now haven’t got a hope in hell.

Out if everything that’s happened in the last 15yrs I think this has finally broken me with where I see Town going . It’s got nothing to do with Evans . He’s powerless to stop our decline now even if he wanted too. He should however have invested when we were in the play offs under McCarthy , but chose not to. Well now we’re reaping the rewards of that lack of insight by the owner . We’re finished as a potential second tier club and certainly PL.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:02 am

Am I the only one who sees that maybe the salary cap will work in our favour?

If it's voted in then for sure we will have one season to get promoted and then in our first year many clubs in the Champ will have to trim just to get down to our salary level. That could be good for us too....

Just saying, because I actually think it will be voted down anyway.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:05 am

Andym wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:37 pm
2 comments:

1. if we need players in, does that mean.all of you who kept saying we had the strongest squad in the league were wrong? Or did they just fail to perform? And if they did, can PL get any more out of anyone else?

2. We are in a very difficult position; the wage cap is still up in the air and we still have an enormous squad.....who apparently weren't good enough. So we need to get rid before we can consider bringing anyone in. But if they aren't good enough and still under contract, hiw do we get rid? Only by selling our few saleable assets.
On paper we've got some good players at this level. Many with experience at Championship level. So it looks a good squad, but it didn’t appear to be a balanced squad and not a real team. Far too many midfielders, far too many injury-prone players and wafer- thin depth wise in some areas of the squad. We could have done with a few more streetwise players at this level who could knit the team together. And it all took was injuries to Norwood and KVY and we were really struggling to replace them, however bloated the squad was.

That’s down to Lambert. How he sets up his team - who he brings in - how much can he squeeze out of the players. In his defence, he’s still got some of Hurst’s signings to offload and we’ve got too many injured players that aren’t doing anything except eat up the wage bill.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:25 am

Yes the injury situation was frustrating last term. But who do we currently have out injured? Anyone? I know Nydam is recovering and maybe one or two others still not yet ready for pre-season.

There are some players who are now some distance from their last injury and might contribute more in the coming season. I'm thinking of Huws & Dozzell. It is likely that after a serious injury it takes time for the mind to forget and develop the courage to play with freedom. These two surely have got to this stage now.

On the flip side, a shortened pre-season might be exposing some vulnerable players to an increased risk of injury.

Still plenty of unknowns.......

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:28 am

when Sears returned you could see his head has gone with the fear of getting injured again, possibly the same could apply to Dozzell now so best we get shot I guess even though I believe Dozzell has something to offer at his best.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:41 am

I think you are right Bluemike but surely as time passes they lose this fear. And surely after a decent rest now they might be braver this season. I certainly hope so.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:46 am

Add in Huws and Bishop. Just think those two are just one stiff tackle away from a lengthy time in the treatment room. Judge also had a bad injury which kept him out for the rest of the season- although COVID came and no-one was really bothered.

Lankester has been out for over 18 months. Will he be the same? Same as Nydam.

It could be these players are considered fit, but I can’t help feel they’re injury prone and it’s got to affect their mental approach as well.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:53 pm

As has been said before, it will also take a settled team throughout the season. A sense of stability will have a positive affect especially for the younger players I think. Lambert explained his rotation policy was based on a Manchester City formula. Maybe it's time for an Ipswich Town in League One formula. Any ideas? :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:38 pm

Yer it’s this

1) Pick your strongest 11 EVERY-TIME
2) Pick a formation/ tactic to suit your strongest players
3) Do not change that formation / team for anything other than injury.
4) Do not cancel fixtures in International weeks.
5) Play the U23in ALL cup fixtures ( these cup games mean nothing to this Club this season)

Sole objective is PROMOTION !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:22 pm

Numbers 2 & 3 Hallam will always be subject to the opponent on the day. We’ve all seen that scenario whereby a managers team are getting gubbed 2-0 at HT and he changes nothing first 20 minutes of the second half.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:00 am

Don’t start getting technical on marko :lol: x

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:51 am

Town eyeing free agent Danny Graham?

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... -1-6784119

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:13 am

Sunderland it is then.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:59 pm

Town are reported to have made a final move for former loanee Luke Garbutt, who is also being targeted by Sunderland.

According to the Northern Echo, the Blues made the approach to Garbutt’s representatives over the weekend, the Black Cats having made a formal offer to the left-back, a free agent following his release by Everton, earlier in the week.

The Wearsiders are said to be confident their deal will appeal to the former England U21 international, but Town are also claimed to be hopeful. It’s said that Garbutt, who spent a successful spell on loan at Portman Road during 2019/20, will make his decision before next weekend.

The Blues and Black Cats have also been linked with Danny Graham and it’s reported both clubs have spoken to the 34-year-old striker, who is a free agent having left Blackburn Rovers. Town are reported to be ready to match whatever is on offer at the Stadium of Light.

Sunderland are said to be hopeful that Gateshead-born Graham, who was previously a Black Cat between 2013 and 2016, will be interested in a return to the North-East. Again, the much-travelled frontman is believed to be weighing-up his options in the days to come.

Both Garbutt and Graham are likely to have to accept very significant drops from their previous wages with the Blues and Wearsiders appearing to have little room for manoeuvre when it comes to adding to their squads given the salary cap which was introduced on Friday and with Town revealing yesterday that the contracts of players already on the books are being treated as if they are earning £113,000 per annum.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:35 pm

Is that report straight from Facebook mike ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:48 pm

No lol, TWTD

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:40 pm

Ah, FB then :lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:43 am

Another journeyman? Or worth a look?

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... -with-town

And of course it’s likely to signal the much expected “Garbutt signs for Sunderland” news flash.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:55 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:43 am
Another journeyman? Or worth a look?

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... -with-town
Who knows? One year contract?

Usually if we’re looking at 34 year olds like Graham or Ward I’d be pretty unimpressed. Depends if they’re still hungry and fit enough. Both Graham and Ward have played at a decent level. And we need a LB and a target man.
Here’s the thing, with the salary cap thing we’re really not looking long term - just get out of this bloody league this year. If they’ve one good season left then it’s all I’m looking at.
In many ways, what’s now the point of buying a young player to develop into a multi-million player to sell on - if you get millions- you can’t spend it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:40 pm

Very true ..... and probably music the Evans’ ears. He’s now got a reason not to spend !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:51 pm

Stoke and Brum both after Jackson ....

Roberts joins Hearts

So that’s bugger all I expect for half decent players leaving ..... and us paying top dollar for other clubs has beens .

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... th-jackson

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:50 pm

Funny how not many Town fans rated Jackson and yet a fair few better teams than us seem to want him.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:23 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:50 pm
Funny how not many Town fans rated Jackson and yet a fair few better teams than us seem to want him.
yes, but it depends why many fans don't rate him.

I do not rate him at all in the Ipswich Town setup.

However, playing in a team with a more creative midfield and alongside a big striker who wins most aerial duels, he may well be quite good. Maybe that's what these other, better teams see in him?