Colchester tonight - first friendly

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ando
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by Ando » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:52 pm

El Mizouni caught the eye for me. A lot more pace in the first game and the game flowed better. Second game seemed more like last seasons team Less pace and slow build up. However difficult to compare because I have no idea how the two Col U teams compared strength wise.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by number 9 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:25 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:41 pm
If that is the way of playing to get us out of Lg 1 I fear for our chances. Tippy tappy football around our own box side to side and back again. Better teams than Colchester would press us and force us into hoof ball. We will see. 2nd match nobody was poor but nobody stood out either The goal was well worked from a corner and taken well.
https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2020/august ... olchester/

Apparently Lambert disagrees Derick..."Some Brilliant Football Played!" he says.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22008
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:12 pm

There was some very good passages of play, considering it was 5 months since any competitive action I thought it was more than acceptable albeit weak opposition.

hallamblue
Posts: 24871
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:17 pm

How did the two different midfields in the two games compare Mike ?

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22008
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:54 pm

The first game was Better, Bishop was a real handful with some good runs which led to the penalty, he also played the ball through for Drinan to score the first. Huws was a little ineffective tbh while Skuse was typical Skuse., I thought Ward and KVY got forward well too, Dobra was ok and kept busy as did Edwards.

Second game wasn't so dominant, Downes sat deep but for me Dozzell again drifts in and out too much. Judge had a decent game and Lankester started well but faded, the movement and penetration of the first game just wasn't there, Sears and Jackson weren't in it.

Ando
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by Ando » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:35 pm

Jackson will be more effective with Norwood or Hawkins up with him

tangfastic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by tangfastic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:49 pm

Ando wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:35 pm
Jackson will be more effective with Norwood or Hawkins up with him
i do wonder if Lambo will go for a 4-3-3 (4-3-2-1) and not a 4-4-2 this season. If so, I do wonder if Kayden Jackson will play a wide role - and not as a central striker. Lambo preferred that formation when he first came here.

tangfastic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by tangfastic » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:54 pm
The first game was Better, Bishop was a real handful with some good runs which led to the penalty, he also played the ball through for Drinan to score the first. Huws was a little ineffective tbh while Skuse was typical Skuse., I thought Ward and KVY got forward well too, Dobra was ok and kept busy as did Edwards.

Second game wasn't so dominant, Downes sat deep but for me Dozzell again drifts in and out too much. Judge had a decent game and Lankester started well but faded, the movement and penetration of the first game just wasn't there, Sears and Jackson weren't in it.
When will Dozzell ever take a game by the scruff of the neck and take his chance? Obviously talented, but, apart from the odd classy pass, just breezes lazily through games. He was well ahead of Downes at one stage, but Downes has rocketed ahead of him and I’d, personally, put El Mizouni and Dobra ahead of him now. At least they look as if they want it.

hallamblue
Posts: 24871
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:52 pm

Dozzell like his dad before him has a languid style which looks lazy. He can see a pass well ahead of his team mates , and occasionally he delivers a peach of pass . BUT he fails time and again to impose himself on games . I don’t know if it’s lack of confidence since his injury , or if he’s lost that edge . You just know if he leaves us , and goes to a better team he will bloody shine ( with better players around him giving him space on the ball ?) . But if he doesn’t deliver in games this season we may as well offload him as I’d rather have Dobra or El Mizouni in the side .

Ando
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by Ando » Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:18 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:49 pm
Ando wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:35 pm
Jackson will be more effective with Norwood or Hawkins up with him
i do wonder if Lambo will go for a 4-3-3 (4-3-2-1) and not a 4-4-2 this season. If so, I do wonder if Kayden Jackson will play a wide role - and not as a central striker. Lambo preferred that formation when he first came here.
It did look a 4 3 3 in the first game with Drinnan the only striker. But that could have easily been a 4 5 1. If he does play it I wonder if others like Dobra Lancaster El Mazouri would get selected ahead of Jackson in a wide position.
I did notice a couple of regular patterns of play. During the first game whilst in possession we often had 4 players Looking a cross the line also the full back getting high and wide then as the ball wast switched to that particular side of the pitch a midfielder would move wide and behind the fullback. These tactics are improvements and last year.

User avatar
derick_ipsw
Posts: 3348
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: CHESTER

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:47 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:25 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:41 pm
If that is the way of playing to get us out of Lg 1 I fear for our chances. Tippy tappy football around our own box side to side and back again. Better teams than Colchester would press us and force us into hoof ball. We will see. 2nd match nobody was poor but nobody stood out either The goal was well worked from a corner and taken well.
https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2020/august ... olchester/

Apparently Lambert disagrees Derick..."Some Brilliant Football Played!" he says.
I suppose he has to say that no.9. We beat Colchester last year 5-0 in friendly as well, what did that prove? There was some good bits of play but the messing around side to side back to the keeper etc etc is not the way to play in lg1. 1 up front not for me I'm afraid. It was more 4 1 4 1 than 4 3 3 . Let's wait till the real games start. I would love to be wrong. It might help when the EFL. Introduce the 22 man squads. He will have less to choose from. :wink:

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22008
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:52 am

I must admit I don't like one up front at all either, never have never will.

tangfastic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by tangfastic » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:34 am

I think the one up front can work if you’ve got the right supporting players and the right lone striker.

Two up top could well work, but if the midfield 4 is too deep, those two strikers can get isolated as well.

Depends a lot on the personnel, whichever formation. And that’s going to be a headache for Lambert. It’s supposed to be a good problem but we’ve too many players - especially midfielders - and I can’t help feel Lambert will be tempted or forced to rotate.

If Lambert has a formation in mind - whether it be 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or whatever- I hope he sticks to it as best he can. Too many players as well as too many formations just gets too confusing.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22008
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:39 am

If he is going to play one up front then he needs to sell Jackson, Sears and about Four midfielders minimum.

tangfastic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by tangfastic » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:15 am

Streams for Spurs and West Ham games. 10 quid each. Might seem steep but camera work and commentary has to be better than the Colchester game

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-ne ... d-west-ham

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22008
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:27 pm

I think its reasonable tbh, nobody is forced to pay it, we should all be well off after the last five bloody months

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 1917
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by rossi » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:34 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:42 pm
El Mizouni goal was excellent. Kvy looked fit and lively. Thought Huws and Skuse were both poor. Opposition very poor. Good run out though.
no change there, then :|

tangfastic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Colchester tonight - first friendly

Post by tangfastic » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:39 am
If he is going to play one up front then he needs to sell Jackson, Sears and about Four midfielders minimum.
Not going to be easy getting rid of anyone surplus in this situation. I thought we might have got rid of Cotter, but he’s returned to the club after a week’s trial at Leyton Orient.

I think maybe loaning out players could be a problem as well.

Post Reply