State of the Forum

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

State of the Forum

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:04 am

I’m not trying to cause a contentious debate here, but I’m a bit concerned about the forum. I’m not sure if the lack of interest is due to Covid 19, or if folks are just cautious about posting unpopular comments. Hardly anyone posts on a regular basis anymore. Have we censored ourselves into indifference, or do people just not care about football anymore? Seriously I’m just asking because it’s really hard to engage in any conversation on here anymore...positive or negative! I always check the forum daily, and to be honest it’s getting a bit boring. While some may differ, I miss the back and forth of Mach_Polish and G&B or the straight to the point humour of Derick. Even Marko rarely posts anymore...Niscreamer, Blueblood, Barmy Billy, Aylesbury, Rossi. Where are you? I hope you’re all ok, but come on let’s get to posting again!

COYB!!!

nicscreamer

Re: State of the Forum

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:13 am

I’m still here. There’s not masss happening until the season starts, and I don’t enjoy any abuse that did start to pervade the forum last season. I see it that we are all in this together so abuse is never needed.
However, I have just got married this weekend , so my mind has kind of been elsewhere 😀.
For the record, my wife is gorgeous beautiful funny witty sexy and the most amazing woman I have ever met.

I shall make sure I post more in the coming season... I promise.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:47 am

Personally I think its nothing more than being between season's with a Five month gap with no football, there has been, as Nic says, very little for people to talk about, once the season starts and the prediction league kicks in I'm sure it will pick up again, I seem to recall most close season's being much the same.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:16 pm

Gorgeous, beautiful, funny, witty, sexy & amazing? The only thing that makes these great features disappear is marriage. Why did you do it, Nics? :D

Do I post less, 9? Jaysus H, must’ve been posting waaaay too much if you think it’s less now ——-> I’m on here talking bollocks most days. Ok, the attempts at striking up conv bombs most days but it’s certainly not for the lack of trying. 👍

Check out the prediction league thread, ...... writing out posts trying to garner a unity with some participation and then someone posts “No” as their full and complete reply? That sort of thing from people kills forums and many people do just give up, ...... not me though. I’ll stop posting in this area when Frosty calls it a day or when the big man upstairs calls my number.

My own view on lack of activity since 09 when joining ...... other social media outlets. There’s too many now. People these days can sit for HOURS going through all their different sites that they frequent. Tractor Boys just heads down the league table of priority. I mean, seriously, what’s better......., finding out about Flynn Downes future, or finding out what your mates cousin had for dinner last night complete with photograph? 🤷‍♂️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:42 pm

There's lots of "forums" on FB connected with Town now and many, many Town fans post on them, me included. As you say marko, many outlets on social media now. Id say even TWTD don't have the same number posting as they used too.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:49 pm

Congratulations Nic! Well done, mate. Getting married again at my age would be a ‘State’ indeed. You’re both probably right BM & Marko, it just seems different. And...not a day after I post this Downes hands in his transfer request! A topic that will generate numerous comments I’m sure.

It’s a funny old forum In’it! :D

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:30 pm

Firstly congratulations on your wedding Nic.

More good reason for me to buy you a beer when you finally get to NZ.

No.9, overly censored is a bit harsh isn’t it fella?

Yes, obviously the more the merrier on the forum, however, I certainly didn’t enjoy the periods when posts were being made with the sole purpose of inflaming tensions, personal attacks or basically trolling for effect.

Based on messages I received, I believe the majority of the forum doesn’t like these incidents either.

I think the forum activity will pick up again once the season starts proper, although that also may be a bit dependent on how good or bad we are doing my friend.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:23 pm

Thanks Frosty, i am certainly very happy :-). Second time round for me, and at my age i intend to stick with this one :lol:

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:41 pm

I think forums naturally quieten down over the summer months and this has been particularly so this summer due to a number of things e.g. our poor league finish, a curtailed season, certain players not living up to expectations & Covid19. If these were not reason enough, nothing good has come out of PR to give anyone optimism for the forthcoming season & now Downes looks as if he is on his way; good luck to him by the way.

We have a manager who is very quick to say he has played at the top level, been there, done that & got the teashirt, yet still seems totally clueless with his team selections & tactics. Is it any wonder we feel despondent. I cannot remember a time when I felt so depressed about our chances next season. All I can see is a mid-table finish at best.

I truly hope I am wrong.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:16 pm

Going to go out on a limb here and attempt to get into the head of Number9 and his reasons for starting the thread. And before doing that, your post is “arguably” spot on, Barmy Billy.

There are people who pop along to the forum to chat. And there are people who pop along to ONLY chat about Ipswich Town, and of course, that’s fair enough, it’s an Ipswich Town forum after all.

The thing is, if everything about the club is currently sh*t, then the conversation can become tedious and very edgy as opinions will always differ. Passions already raised on whatever Flynn Downes decides.

And here is where I attempt to get into 9’s head because I truly feel 9 is on my wavelength. I believe he regards the forum like a pub. I do too. 100%. I talk on this forum, (as I believe 9 does) like he’s down the pub. Open to views, open to banter, open to ridicule and taking that ridicule on the chin. Answering posts as you would if the guy or gal were standing right beside you. Which I believe should be the essence of every forum.
(Do you own sussies and a leather Whip, Hallam?)

I realise 9 has said he misses the issues; I’d say he misses the beginnings of borderline banter but unfortunately some don’t know when to lower the tone. .... then it becomes the keyboard warrior type stuff. That can be very sad and none of us want to see that.
But do tailgaters tailgate with their trolley in a supermarket? No they don’t. It’s that type of mentality. “I’ll be a d!ck because they can’t touch me.” (Ok you could follow them home but who’s got the time for that type of immature nonsense :lol: )

I suppose 9 just wants everyone to be “lightened up” and just have normal conversation but MORE of it. And that’s why he’s saying “the state of the forum”
I do firmly believe it’s a social media and the other outlets problem but definitely hoping a lot more people return, Shed on Tour, Herforder, Jack22, Mr Disco??? a host of others......., delighted to see Azzurro and Dubai post...... it’s like we’re down the pub speaking with these guys. 👍

To finish off....... when the season starts and the legendary Derick_Ipsw expertly and matter of factly expresses his opinion on Paul Lambert, Marcus Evans and most of the players...... don’t pour beer over his head. Respectfully disagree if that’s the case and continue the discussion. 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, that’ll be that. Going to get a cowbell of beer in the face now. 🤦‍♂️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:32 pm

Laughed out loud at that post Marko . Spot on btw 👍..... and for the record “ no I don’t!” :lol:

Think I’ll join ya for that beer ....

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:58 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:32 pm
....and for the record “ no I don’t!” :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:09 pm

Thanks Marko, that's exactly how I feel. I'll buy you a cowbell of beer the next time I see you down the pub. :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:13 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:58 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:32 pm
....and for the record “ no I don’t!” :lol:

Ha ha it didn’t work did it !! :lol: and I bet it was rude !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:28 pm

nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:23 pm
Thanks Frosty, i am certainly very happy :-). Second time round for me, and at my age i intend to stick with this one :lol:
congrats bud, pleased for you mate

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:02 am

For me it has just been a result of no footy and to be honest, a lack of interest in what footy there has been (ie no crowds and taking the knee etc etc). I will post again where I have a view when there is something to have a view on!

On that topic - how do people think the 'taking the knee' action will be received if/when it is done in front of a crowd? For me, i just think it was entered into by the PL and the EFL without thought. Its like mixing sport and politics. We are now in a position where - even if you support the sentiment of BLM (and not necessarily the movement itself) - which i do - but refuse to take the knee for whatever reason, you are immediately branded as a racist. For me, that is just as much bullying as forcing someone to do something they don't want to do!

Oops... is that a can of worms I have just opened...? 😱

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:35 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:02 am
For me it has just been a result of no footy and to be honest, a lack of interest in what footy there has been (ie no crowds and taking the knee etc etc). I will post again where I have a view when there is something to have a view on!

On that topic - how do people think the 'taking the knee' action will be received if/when it is done in front of a crowd? For me, i just think it was entered into by the PL and the EFL without thought. Its like mixing sport and politics. We are now in a position where - even if you support the sentiment of BLM (and not necessarily the movement itself) - which i do - but refuse to take the knee for whatever reason, you are immediately branded as a racist. For me, that is just as much bullying as forcing someone to do something they don't want to do!

I agree completely, there is no bigger bully in sport right now than Lewis Hamilton . Also I think the PL & EFL should of made a jesture to all the front line workers who lost there lives during Covid by wearing there names on shirts rather than taking the knee for some convicted criminal who died in sad circumstances while resisting arrest.
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:44 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:02 am

I agree. I very much support BLM but supporting it is a personal choice. I feel exactly the same about shirts with poppies on. It's just a publicity stunt that becomes an expectation. Imagine the uproar if a newsreader was caught on screen without a poppy - these things shouldn't be corporate decisions.
Similarly, some religions are opposed to gambling I believe. Imagine a player refusing to wear a shirt with a gambling sponsor. I wonder if they'd be allowed to wear a different shirt.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:59 am

So next question.... if the first game fans are back at PR, players all take the knee - would you:-

- Applaud it?
- Boo it?
- Sing something else (like a footy song or land of hope and glory)?
- Other?

I know its controversial as a topic (and really should not be but the PC bullies have made it that way in my view) but it needs to be aired! For me, I would certainly not applaud it and sadly, would probably react depending on how the general crowd did. Thats a sad admission from me but the truth is - if you booed it and was the only one or one of a few, you would be crucified for it! Sad times I am afraid...

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:51 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:28 pm
nicscreamer wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:23 pm
congrats bud, pleased for you mate
Cheers Mike ;-)

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:12 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:59 am
So next question.... if the first game fans are back at PR, players all take the knee - would you:-

- Applaud it?
- Boo it?
- Sing something else (like a footy song or land of hope and glory)?
- Other?

I know its controversial as a topic (and really should not be but the PC bullies have made it that way in my view) but it needs to be aired! For me, I would certainly not applaud it and sadly, would probably react depending on how the general crowd did. Thats a sad admission from me but the truth is - if you booed it and was the only one or one of a few, you would be crucified for it! Sad times I am afraid...
I would applaud it because it's a cause I believe in. But if I didn't observe a minute's silence on armistice day if be crucified too. I don't think.any observance, religious, political of otherwise, should take place in public gatherings.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:33 pm

I certainly wouldn't boo or disrespect it, however I would probably roll my eyes to the heavens and say to myself, get on with the game FFS.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:15 pm

Not sure recognize 'Take the knee'. What, a malicious tackle or some allegiance to a reigning monarch. Guess the latter but don't think it's something
we need implemented for a simple "football" game. All about nobility and that, believe someone was right when they mentioned Land of Hope and Glory being prohibited to some extent due to causing offense to some say, certain individuals, is contentious in itself.

Maybe topic went off on a tangent from the intended discussion but say now with others when don't want such practice at Portman Road or other venues come to that. We're here to play a game, get a result, become competitive. It's the be all and end all of what the industry is, all other ideologies can go by the wayside.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:10 pm

Wow Saint - what planet have you been living on for the past 6 months if you don't recognise 'taking the knee'? Wish I had a ticket to it cos it sounds better than where I have been! 😂

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:51 pm

6 months? Kaepernick was "taking a knee" in the NFL over 2 years ago. Top of the bill, world wide, regular & sports news.

Didn't think the thread would take such a path. Thought it'd stay on track and discuss ways to breath new life into this place. Not sure any of this and relatively strong opinions on BLM is going help the football area of this forum in any way at all. I mean obviously, when crowds return to stadiums, and the knees are happening, the attending fan has no choice but to be there, witness and either applaud or boo, but it was still their choice to attend the game in the first place.

With ANY controversial topic, there needs to be non biased "discussion" and probably, like most forums, in a political area where people can go if they choose, (much like going to a game) I think airing too many strong opinions without a counter to balance things out is a pathway to chaos. And sometimes (no, all of the time), most attempts at balancing out, finding middle of the road reasoning is the most chaotic, ....., in some cases leading to death threats which were encountered on an Australian forum......, (not to me) , but couple of other people with opinions that were poles apart.

Maybe an idea for Frosty as forum owner to think about a sub-forum for "political only" topics. I don't mean the "non football" area....., I mean an actual area with a "Politics" heading.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:31 pm

Totally agree marko. This is getting twitteresque , and it’s not what I really want to come here and discuss in any passionate way

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:05 pm

Well there's definitely been a surge of posts over the last few days. I didn't mean to create a thread that opens the door to politics. Regardless of what someone thinks about BLM, it is here and it's not going away. If frosty feels the need to lock this thread, by all means do what you have to do.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:18 pm

So its go along with it and be supportive of it but don't aire a view that doesn't support something? Democracy lol.

There ya go I've deleted my views on the nonsense, would hate to offend but I'll carry on being offended.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:24 pm

Well happy for it to be elsewhere but i think at the moment it is VERY footy related as they bloody started doing it! Look - I don't care if it is never mentioned again but was trying to gauge peoples views. Strange that in trying to open more posts, there is a suggestion that we should shut this one down? Democracy indeed! 😂

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Don't know about Frosty, but I certainly don't think the thread needs locked as its actually been useful in hopefully creating a politics area for all sorts of Brexit, Covid, BLM, Elections, Trump and BJ talk......., no, not blowjobs ----> Boris.

But maybe a boobs and blowjobs area might be decent as well. Something to think about.