Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Creation of a new sub forum for contentious topics

Yes
12
48%
No
13
52%
 
Total votes: 25

Ando
Posts: 1198
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:07 pm
I wouldn’t mind a Politics sub forum, I’d be really interested to try to understand why anyone would vote for Brexit, or indeed if those who voted for Boris, would vote for him again given his performance since the election.

This could be a test to see how well it would work. 😛
Well that’s rich coming from someone who lives abroad and clearly European, (just showing how personal things could get) when whole communities in the U.K. are being over run by Europeans moving in to their communities.

Why can’t we have the Canada deal? Because the Europeans want our fishing grounds, well get stuffed I say. They will come round when we stick larger levies on their cars. I live in a fishing town where generations of my family worked in the fishing industry, including myself and watched Quotas destroy my town to allow the french to take our fish

I voted remain by the way, but the more this goes on the more I am glad we are leaving.

I voted for Boris because we needed to honour the referendum result, it’s called democracy. Also It was him or Comrade Corbyn and Diane Abbott, ffs there was no other choice. Abbott today defending extinction rebellion come on let’s all get a grip.

As for Jimmy Cranky she is a liability however I do think she has done well since the start of COVID apart from not knowing what stay alert means 🤷‍♂️. The SNP still trying to break up the U.K., you had your vote! Get over it !

As for Boris performance, yes there have been mistakes but this government is dealing with more issues than any over government since WW2. The alternatives are un electable imo.

Those Labour voters moaning about Brexit should have voted Lib Dem so stop blaming people for being stupid not knowing what they voted for! At least they voted for what they believed.

Time to breathe 😂😂😂😂

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18111
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:05 pm

And you’ve earned that breath, well done 👏👏👏👏

Thanks for backing up the “yes” vote, Ando. All the above would be in a designated area. 🤷‍♂️ Job done. 👍

Let’s be clear here. A designated area isn’t to START contentious chat. It’s a place to TAKE contentious chat to should it arise like it did last week.

Ando
Posts: 1198
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:36 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:05 pm
And you’ve earned that breath, well done 👏👏👏👏

Thanks for backing up the “yes” vote, Ando. All the above would be in a designated area. 🤷‍♂️ Job done. 👍

Let’s be clear here. A designated area isn’t to START contentious chat. It’s a place to TAKE contentious chat to should it arise like it did last week.
Bugger me I voted no 😂😂

Ando
Posts: 1198
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:39 pm

What contentious chat? Have I missed something?

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18111
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:13 pm

Ando wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:39 pm
What contentious chat? Have I missed something?
I’d love to tell you....... but there’s no designated area. 🤷‍♂️ :lol:

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4279
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:33 pm

Ando wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:26 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:07 pm
I wouldn’t mind a Politics sub forum, I’d be really interested to try to understand why anyone would vote for Brexit, or indeed if those who voted for Boris, would vote for him again given his performance since the election.

This could be a test to see how well it would work. 😛
Well that’s rich coming from someone who lives abroad and clearly European, (just showing how personal things could get) when whole communities in the U.K. are being over run by Europeans moving in to their communities.

Why can’t we have the Canada deal? Because the Europeans want our fishing grounds, well get stuffed I say. They will come round when we stick larger levies on their cars. I live in a fishing town where generations of my family worked in the fishing industry, including myself and watched Quotas destroy my town to allow the french to take our fish

I voted remain by the way, but the more this goes on the more I am glad we are leaving.

I voted for Boris because we needed to honour the referendum result, it’s called democracy. Also It was him or Comrade Corbyn and Diane Abbott, ffs there was no other choice. Abbott today defending extinction rebellion come on let’s all get a grip.

As for Jimmy Cranky she is a liability however I do think she has done well since the start of COVID apart from not knowing what stay alert means 🤷‍♂️. The SNP still trying to break up the U.K., you had your vote! Get over it !

As for Boris performance, yes there have been mistakes but this government is dealing with more issues than any over government since WW2. The alternatives are un electable imo.

Those Labour voters moaning about Brexit should have voted Lib Dem so stop blaming people for being stupid not knowing what they voted for! At least they voted for what they believed.

Time to breathe 😂😂😂😂
Have to say I disagree with nearly all if that.

Ando
Posts: 1198
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:37 pm

Which bit do you agree with ?

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4279
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:10 pm

Ando wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:37 pm
Which bit do you agree with ?
I was being polite. i disagree with all if it 😂😂😂

Ando
Posts: 1198
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:15 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:10 pm
Ando wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 10:37 pm
Which bit do you agree with ?
I was being polite. i disagree with all if it 😂😂😂
😂😂😂

User avatar
Frosty
Forum Owner
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:46 am

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Frosty » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:29 am

Oh what have I done ........................ ???

No wonder Brexit was a bit of a contentious issue for you chaps! :lol: :lol:

User avatar
Dubai Blue
Posts: 4470
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Dubai, UAE

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:50 am

No for me. I love nothing more than to spout off about anything political. But it has the potential to create divisions amongst us that don't need to exist. We are all united by our love of ITFC. Let's keep it that way not look for ways to create issues between us.

Sometimes a political issue will come up 'subtly' in a footy post and this gives us all the opportunity to have a good humoured banter session about it. But most of the time because it's in a footy forum we know better than to go full on with it and can just wink and move on. This is healthy in my view and builds respect in the TB.com family.

Plenty of other places exist to vent on politics.

Just my opinion of course.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18111
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:40 am

Someone needs to vote either Yes or No. I do not care anymore. ....... it’s sitting at 55/45 ..... bringing back painful memories. 🤦‍♂️

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 12804
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:08 am

I think this thread highlights just how divided Britain has become. Take any subject whether it be Politics, Black Lives Matter, Brexit, Scottish Independence, Climate Change, Immigration etc, etc, etc, our Nation is divided, and whilst this exists we will never regain our status as a major player in the world. For that to happen we need to be united.

User avatar
Dubai Blue
Posts: 4470
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Dubai, UAE

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:58 am

Can't help but disagree with you on that Charnwood.......










........... :P

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4279
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Andym » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:11 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:08 am
I think this thread highlights just how divided Britain has become. Take any subject whether it be Politics, Black Lives Matter, Brexit, Scottish Independence, Climate Change, Immigration etc, etc, etc, our Nation is divided, and whilst this exists we will never regain our status as a major player in the world. For that to happen we need to be united.
We never will. I remember the debate last year when I said Ipswich aren't a big club. We were. We aren't any more. Similarly we aren't a major player and never will be. We are a small country and we need to understand that.

Ando
Posts: 1198
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Ando » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:53 pm

With the 5th largest economy in the world.

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4279
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Andym » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:03 am

But as a result of the moronic decision taken by the country under the influence of the Daily Hatemail and Daily Excess, we now need to negotiate trade desls with 2 extremely large organisations- the EU and USA. There was NEVER a chance of a good deal with the EU; why should they give us a good deal that might encourage others to leave? But David Davis kept saying they would fall over themselves to give us a good deal. Fuckwit. Johnson said we had an oven-ready deal. Another fuckwit. We might be the 5th largest economy but if you're trying to deal with larger ones, you are going to get f*cked over. If the country wasn't ruined before, the brexit vote consigned us to the bin of slso-rans.

User avatar
Frosty
Forum Owner
Posts: 3113
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:46 am

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Frosty » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:37 am

Don't know I entirely agree with you Andy.

Yes, there will be pain in some sectors post Brexit.

In many respects a similar thing happened to NZ in 1973. The UK joined the EEC and threw NZ under a bus as we lost favoured trading status for our Agricultural products to our biggest export market. (ok that was me being dramatic I concede :wink: )

What it did ultimately is make us look for new markets, become more efficient and diversify into other areas than just being a giant farm.

Although we are a small economy, it made the producer boards and the Ministry of Trade get off their arse and develop new markets and negoiate trade deals around the world.

This was achieved even though 'distance wise' we are not in an easily accessible location geographically and have higher transport costs.

As the UK's economy is approximately 45% services based?, geographic location doesn't matter so much as countries trading physical goods.

As I say Andy, I accept your fears and worry for the UK, however, you may ultimately come out of this stronger in time without being reliant on Brussels decisions that may cost the UK in other areas in the future.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 12804
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:34 am

...and here lies the problem Dave, since the Brexit vote more than 1 Trillion US$ have been shifted out of London as the banking sector looks to downsize in the UK and relocate within the EU. Only this week Credit Suisse has announced plans to move its investment banking hub to Spain from its current London headquarters as a part of its post-Brexit plans. Some banks have already done this and others have plans to do so to guarantee their access to EU markets in event of a No Deal Brexit. I know Ando is concerned about the fishing industry which is one of the three points Boris is prepared to hang the UK out to dry on, but the fishing industry represents only circa 1% of UKGDP. Furthermore the UK only wants more fishing quotas for export not for our own consumption. At the moment we export surplus fish to Europe which is far less likely to happen after 1 Jan.

The final stages of the Brexit negotiations are a complete f*ck up managed by a f*ck wit of a PM. Brexit negotiations were 95% done by the previous government and whilst I admit the final 5% is the most difficult and most contentious we’ve made no progress since this Government was elected by disillusioned Labour voters who couldn’t see beyond Brexit. If we do have a No Deal Brexit the value of the £ will tumble as will the markets, there are signs of this happening already as a No Deal looks more and more likely.

If the UK is to become a Global Powerhouse again it’s unlikely to be seen by this generation and most certainly won’t happen under the current dis-functional Government led by Boris Johnson.

.... and by the way I’ve been a life long Conservative supporter.

PS; It looks like we already have a Politics Thread 🤓

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22008
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:29 pm

The yes/no vote was clearly pointless lol.

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 1919
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Ricco » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:40 pm

Well the vote is pretty close, perhaps meet in the middle and have a politics forum, but only on Sundays, and only if Ipswich won the day previous?

User avatar
BLUEBLOOD
Posts: 2284
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:43 pm

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:53 pm

STOP the YES/NO Vote
STOP the YES/NO Vote
STOP the YES/NO Vote
Image

Ando
Posts: 1198
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:10 pm

Reading all the theories that have been posted, in reality we have no real idea what will happen let’s be honest. That’s the reason I voted remain because nothing really seemed broken. I don’t confess to knowing about all the complexities of deals and nor does the majority of the population. People voted based on what they saw happening to them, to say people where Merely mislead by lies in newspapers & the leave campaign Is just Nonsense.

We tend to view things from a U.K. perspective, the EU will be under immense pressure also, the French fisherman are planning to block ports in the event of no deal. The Germans and french will be worried about car sales and it’s just the tip of what we import from the EU.

It’s in everyone’s interest to strike a deal it’s who will blink first, my money is on Europe. 🤞

Can anyone tell me why we can’t have a Canada style trade deal other than for political reasons? Because what’s good for them should be good enough for the 5th largest economy that i believe imports more from Europe than it exports 🤷‍♂️

tangfastic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by tangfastic » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:45 pm

Pretty decent debate so far. And nothing unruly.

We’ve had far more handbags over a Cole Skuse side pass

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22008
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:07 pm

A very large percentage of people voted to leave because they thought it would rid the streets of foreigners, that's a fact and a ignorant one at that.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18111
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:40 pm

Extremely ignorant. Some complain about BRITISH people with Indian heritage who’ve lived in the UK for generations. And yes, you’re correct...... some people DID think Brexit was all about “foreigners”. Fkn idiots.

I know Ricco was joking but I think you’re spot on..... political chat after a Town win could be ok. 👌 :lol:
Lose?
“AHH, FK OFF WI YER CANADA DEAL!” :lol:

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4279
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Andym » Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:07 pm
A very large percentage of people voted to leave because they thought it would rid the streets of foreigners, that's a fact and a ignorant one at that.
I agree. And I still maintain the negative view of immigrants- taking our jobs, living off benefits, etc etc - is largely down to the prejudices and lies of the tabloid press.

What I could never convince people of was the fact (and it is a fact) that over 50% of immigrants were from outside the EU. So if we chose to, we could have cut immigration by more than 50%. But we didn't. Because we need them. Having had surgery for prostate cancer neatly 18 months ago, a 3 or 4 hour operation performed by an I did an doctor, and then having been attended to every hour throughout the night by a Chinese nurse to empty my catheter bag (A lovely job I'm sure), take my blood pressure and ask if I needed pain relief.....im bloidy glad they are here.

Ando
Posts: 1198
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:28 pm

Those people who helped you Andy will still be able to come here. I agree we need people from abroad to fill the short fall in some sectors and make contributions to the economy. Some people get confused with EU and non EU migrants.

The trouble is the British people hate being told what to do that’s where the EU gets it bad press. In the end for many the EU became too big and with it the U.K. had lass say.

Once the trade deal is sorted and after an Ipswich win we can move on to Scottish independence. 👀

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18111
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:38 pm

As long as Anstruther Fish bar still has enough fish for their world famous fish suppers, ...... am no givin’ a fk! :D 👍

User avatar
Dubai Blue
Posts: 4470
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Dubai, UAE

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:43 am

Useful article on the Canada style deal here:
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/br ... 10951.html

Post Reply