Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Creation of a new sub forum for contentious topics

Yes
12
48%
No
13
52%
 
Total votes: 25

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 12804
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Charnwood » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:07 pm

This is far too orderly and polite for a Politics Thread.

Let’s get rid 😇

tangfastic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by tangfastic » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:26 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:38 pm
As long as Anstruther Fish bar still has enough fish for their world famous fish suppers, ...... am no givin’ a fk! :D 👍
Have to admit, I’ve just recently heard about Anstruther’s Fish Bar in a food review. 10 out of 10. Queues around the block apparently.

Up yours Delors!

Ando
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Ando » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:05 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:26 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:38 pm
As long as Anstruther Fish bar still has enough fish for their world famous fish suppers, ...... am no givin’ a fk! :D 👍
Have to admit, I’ve just recently heard about Anstruther’s Fish Bar in a food review. 10 out of 10. Queues around the block apparently.

Up yours Delors!
Was that on food review club?

tangfastic
Posts: 2849
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by tangfastic » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:57 pm

Ando wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:05 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:26 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:38 pm
As long as Anstruther Fish bar still has enough fish for their world famous fish suppers, ...... am no givin’ a fk! :D 👍
Have to admit, I’ve just recently heard about Anstruther’s Fish Bar in a food review. 10 out of 10. Queues around the block apparently.

Up yours Delors!
Was that on food review club?
Think it was actually- if it was the rosy-cheeked fat lad doing the review. Good looking fish supper.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18111
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:25 pm

Rosy cheeked good lookin’ fat lad ✅

True story. Had installed heating in a house in Anstruther. Months later, went to Anstruther with wife for fish n chips. She asked where the job was. Told her it’s around the corner and up the hill and way to the right.
Then we got to the Fish bar........ the queue stretched right past the front door of the heating job. :lol:

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18111
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:28 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:07 pm
This is far too orderly and polite for a Politics Thread.

Let’s get rid 😇
Yep, think you’re right on that note.
Wanted absolute pandemonium in here ..... for 9 especially. He loves it! :lol:

hallamblue
Posts: 24870
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:35 pm

Shut it!

















😇

Ando
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Ando » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:35 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:28 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:07 pm
This is far too orderly and polite for a Politics Thread.

Let’s get rid 😇
Yep, think you’re right on that note.
Wanted absolute pandemonium in here ..... for 9 especially. He loves it! :lol:
I tried my best. But stand by every word.

User avatar
Dubai Blue
Posts: 4470
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Dubai, UAE

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:20 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpAvcGcEc0k

Which room are we looking for exactly?

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 12804
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:57 am

Ando wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:35 pm
marko69 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:28 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:07 pm
This is far too orderly and polite for a Politics Thread.

Let’s get rid 😇
Yep, think you’re right on that note.
Wanted absolute pandemonium in here ..... for 9 especially. He loves it! :lol:
I tried my best. But stand by every word.
I guess I owe you a reply then Ando.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18111
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:56 pm

Could discuss the PSG v Marseille game yesterday when FIVE players were sent off in the 90 + 7 minute after Neymar claims racist comments were being made.

I could post several links on this as I’ve read a few ...... think Neymar needs to go find his form again. That’s a coupon bursting 1-0 defeat to RC Lens last week and now another home goalless defeat to Marseille.

Neymar has very little credibility in sport these days. He brought that on himself with antics in the Champions League and World Cups. He has a very dishonest side to him.
He makes claim, his team mates react, but the opposing players react ten times worse after the accusation, hence the blow up.
Think he’d do well to STFU and start scoring goals for PSG.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:53 pm

Neymar is over-rated...but I'm sure his life matters. :lol:

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18111
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:19 pm

100% . But he’s full of sh*t.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 12804
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:14 pm

Ando wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:26 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:07 pm
I wouldn’t mind a Politics sub forum, I’d be really interested to try to understand why anyone would vote for Brexit, or indeed if those who voted for Boris, would vote for him again given his performance since the election.

This could be a test to see how well it would work. 😛
Well that’s rich coming from someone who lives abroad and clearly European, (just showing how persI onal things could get) when whole communities in the U.K. are being over run by Europeans moving in to their communities.

Why can’t we have the Canada deal? Because the Europeans want our fishing grounds, well get stuffed I say. They will come round when we stick larger levies on their cars. I live in a fishing town where generations of my family worked in the fishing industry, including myself and watched Quotas destroy my town to allow the french to take our fish

I voted remain by the way, but the more this goes on the more I am glad we are leaving.

I voted for Boris because we needed to honour the referendum result, it’s called democracy. Also It was him or Comrade Corbyn and Diane Abbott, ffs there was no other choice. Abbott today defending extinction rebellion come on let’s all get a grip.

As for Jimmy Cranky she is a liability however I do think she has done well since the start of COVID apart from not knowing what stay alert means 🤷‍♂️. The SNP still trying to break up the U.K., you had your vote! Get over it !

As for Boris performance, yes there have been mistakes but this government is dealing with more issues than any over government since WW2. The alternatives are un electable imo.

Those Labour voters moaning about Brexit should have voted Lib Dem so stop blaming people for being stupid not knowing what they voted for! At least they voted for what they believed.

Time to breathe 😂😂😂😂

Hey Ando after your comment on Saturday I thought your post deserved a response.

Had it not been for Brexit, like tens of thousands of others I would have continued to share my time between the UK and Spain and continue paying my taxes in the UK. Unfortunately record numbers of us have been forced to relocate to allow us free movement between the two countries. Meanwhile thousands of less well off Brits have have been forced to return to the UK to access the NHS, Social Care and benefits not available in Spain and other European Countries.

For what it’s worth, I’ve voted Conservative in 12 of the 14 General Elections I’ve been eligible to vote in, however in my opinion this current Government in Westminster is the worst Conservative Government in my lifetime led by the poorest Conservative PM ever, and tbh I didn’t think that was possible post Teresa May.

I can understand why you have a personal concern about fishing territories but in reality the Fishing Industry is only worth circa 1% of GDP and isn’t worth falling out over. Furthermore in the UK we catch more fish than we need for home consumption and with a No Deal Brexit we will have nowhere to export any surplus to as most of this is currently goes to Europe who may no longer be willing to take it.

As you rightly say a No Deal Brexit would be brutal for the motor industry and today 23 auto industry associations have issued a joint statement saying that failure to secure a deal could potentially eliminate production of 3 million vehicles over the next 5 years which could cost EU plants 57.7 billion euros and UK factories 52.8 billion euros. Given there are 4 countries in the UK and 27 across the EU it’s not difficult to see where it hurts most.

These are just two Industries but there are many more, however you look at it the UK stands to suffer more than the EU if a deal can’t be struck. Already since the referendum our exports to the EU have fallen dramatically and not been replaced.
Even worse, if Boris screws up the deal he’s already signed with the EU, this will almost certainly breach International Law and diminish further his standing with other countries across the globe making it more difficult to sign up trade deals elsewhere as nobody will trust him.

As for the Canada Deal, whilst it operates it’s never been signed off by all EU member states and most likely never will, but as it only represents less than 10% of either regions exports both sides appear to be happy to operate it under the radar. Also to the best of my knowledge it only covers the export of goods not services, and circa 75% of the UK’s exports are classed as Services, eg
Miscellaneous business services: US$109.1 billion (31.1% of UK total)
Financial services: $83.2 billion (23.7%)
Travel: $43.8 billion (12.5%)
Telecom/computer/information services: $25.6 billion (7.3%)
Insurance/pension services: $19.3 billion (5.5%)
With this being the case a Canada Deal wouldn’t be much use to us.

If you’re not convinced about the level of Boris’s incompetence take a look at his performance in Parliament this afternoon where he was utterly exposed and shamed by Ed Miliband and others, not just by Labour - but also by his own Conservative colleagues who totally exposed his truth twisting incompetence. By the end of the debate he looked broken weak and incompetent with head bowed, arms folded and muttering to himself. What an embarrassment for our country at such a critical time.

I don’t know what the future holds for the UK, but sadly I fear the worst especially if it continues following the current course under the direction of its current leader.

Ando
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:17 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:14 pm
Ando wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:26 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:07 pm
I wouldn’t mind a Politics sub forum, I’d be really interested to try to understand why anyone would vote for Brexit, or indeed if those who voted for Boris, would vote for him again given his performance since the election.

This could be a test to see how well it would work. 😛
Well that’s rich coming from someone who lives abroad and clearly European, (just showing how persI onal things could get) when whole communities in the U.K. are being over run by Europeans moving in to their communities.

Why can’t we have the Canada deal? Because the Europeans want our fishing grounds, well get stuffed I say. They will come round when we stick larger levies on their cars. I live in a fishing town where generations of my family worked in the fishing industry, including myself and watched Quotas destroy my town to allow the french to take our fish

I voted remain by the way, but the more this goes on the more I am glad we are leaving.

I voted for Boris because we needed to honour the referendum result, it’s called democracy. Also It was him or Comrade Corbyn and Diane Abbott, ffs there was no other choice. Abbott today defending extinction rebellion come on let’s all get a grip.

As for Jimmy Cranky she is a liability however I do think she has done well since the start of COVID apart from not knowing what stay alert means 🤷‍♂️. The SNP still trying to break up the U.K., you had your vote! Get over it !

As for Boris performance, yes there have been mistakes but this government is dealing with more issues than any over government since WW2. The alternatives are un electable imo.

Those Labour voters moaning about Brexit should have voted Lib Dem so stop blaming people for being stupid not knowing what they voted for! At least they voted for what they believed.

Time to breathe 😂😂😂😂

Hey Ando after your comment on Saturday I thought your post deserved a response.

Had it not been for Brexit, like tens of thousands of others I would have continued to share my time between the UK and Spain and continue paying my taxes in the UK. Unfortunately record numbers of us have been forced to relocate to allow us free movement between the two countries. Meanwhile thousands of less well off Brits have have been forced to return to the UK to access the NHS, Social Care and benefits not available in Spain and other European Countries.
It is a shame that people’s lives are directly impacted this way but just like your 1% fishing quarters, the numbers of people impacted is tiny in comparison to the population.

For what it’s worth, I’ve voted Conservative in 12 of the 14 General Elections I’ve been eligible to vote in, however in my opinion this current Government in Westminster is the worst Conservative Government in my lifetime led by the poorest Conservative PM ever, and tbh I didn’t think that was possible post Teresa May.

I can understand why you have a personal concern about fishing territories but in reality the Fishing Industry is only worth circa 1% of GDP and isn’t worth falling out over. Furthermore in the UK we catch more fish than we need for home consumption and with a No Deal Brexit we will have nowhere to export any surplus to as most of this is currently goes to Europe who may no longer be willing to take it.
60% of the fish caught in our waters is by foreign vessels that 60% used to be British fishing fleet and the quotas were set by the EU. To say it’s not worth falling out over goes against the purpose of becoming a self governing nation again. It’s not about the numbers.

As you rightly say a No Deal Brexit would be brutal for the motor industry and today 23 auto industry associations have issued a joint statement saying that failure to secure a deal could potentially eliminate production of 3 million vehicles over the next 5 years which could cost EU plants 57.7 billion euros and UK factories 52.8 billion euros. Given there are 4 countries in the UK and 27 across the EU it’s not difficult to see where it hurts most.
i don’t understand the comparison between 4 & 27 countries. Not all these countries export to us do they? Surely the majority of 57.7 is from 4-5 countries at best. They are not EU jobs they are German, French etc, the countries that have the factories.

These are just two Industries but there are many more, however you look at it the UK stands to suffer more than the EU if a deal can’t be struck. Already since the referendum our exports to the EU have fallen dramatically and not been replaced.
Even worse, if Boris screws up the deal he’s already signed with the EU, this will almost certainly breach International Law and diminish further his standing with other countries across the globe making it more difficult to sign up trade deals elsewhere as nobody will trust him.
exactly no international law will be broken until any amendment is implemented, it’s all political point scoring and scaremongering at this point by the opposition, purely politics to undermin the government. That’s how it works we all know this. It would appear the EU are using Northern Ireland to apply pressure on the talks, therefore any government would take steps to protect its own interests.

As for the Canada Deal, whilst it operates it’s never been signed off by all EU member states and most likely never will, but as it only represents less than 10% of either regions exports both sides appear to be happy to operate it under the radar. Also to the best of my knowledge it only covers the export of goods not services, and circa 75% of the UK’s exports are classed as Services, eg
Miscellaneous business services: US$109.1 billion (31.1% of UK total)
Financial services: $83.2 billion (23.7%)
Travel: $43.8 billion (12.5%)
Telecom/computer/information services: $25.6 billion (7.3%)
Insurance/pension services: $19.3 billion (5.5%)
With this being the case a Canada Deal wouldn’t be much use to us.
I was meaning a Canada style deal. Not the exact same one. Again figures are figures but the moral issue here is the EU has to been seen to be tough and make an example of the U.K. to ward off any other countries from trying to leave, again all political.

If you’re not convinced about the level of Boris’s incompetence take a look at his performance in Parliament this afternoon where he was utterly exposed and shamed by Ed Miliband and others, not just by Labour - but also by his own Conservative colleagues who totally exposed his truth twisting incompetence. By the end of the debate he looked broken weak and incompetent with head bowed, arms folded and muttering to himself. What an embarrassment for our country at such a critical time.
Do you think the majority of the 17.4m give two hoots about potentially breaking international law? they are probably pleased the government is standing up for them. I have seen his performance and his reaction to Milbands comments, again all political point scoring, Milband was asked one question from the Irish MP and got flustered himself because he was off script, in the main dogged the question and carried on. Johnson should have remained poker faced, but it’s all irrelevant as the government won the vote .

I don’t know what the future holds for the UK, but sadly I fear the worst especially if it continues following the current course under the direction of its current leader.
The whole thing is a nightmare hence why I voted remain, you just knew all this sh*t was coming

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4279
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Andym » Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:27 pm

Personally I find it hard to understand why anyone who wasn't brainwashed by the press - all of course owned by non-doms for tax purposes- would vote for Brexit. It was bound to be a train wreck.

But I feel the same about people who voted for a prime minister who has hot where he is through creating a cuddly image and relying on bluster - no morals (political or otherwise), no political ideology, no understanding of what truth is and bone idle, uninterested in try8ng to understand the facts of a situation. Without doubt the worst Government in living memory; what makes it worse is that it was predictably so. Except the Mail/Express/Sun/Times told us we couldn't trust Labour, they'd be incompetent! f*ck my life. That wasn't down to Cornyn, they say it about every Labour leader.

Changing the subject, it's good to see construction of HS2 will create 22,000 jobs. With a minimum estimated budget of £88 billion, that's a mere £4 million per job....
for a railway that will be used by so few.

Ando
Posts: 1199
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Ando » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:47 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:27 pm
Personally I find it hard to understand why anyone who wasn't brainwashed by the press - all of course owned by non-doms for tax purposes- would vote for Brexit. It was bound to be a train wreck.

But I feel the same about people who voted for a prime minister who has hot where he is through creating a cuddly image and relying on bluster - no morals (political or otherwise), no political ideology, no understanding of what truth is and bone idle, uninterested in try8ng to understand the facts of a situation. Without doubt the worst Government in living memory; what makes it worse is that it was predictably so. Except the Mail/Express/Sun/Times told us we couldn't trust Labour, they'd be incompetent! f*ck my life. That wasn't down to Cornyn, they say it about every Labour leader.

Changing the subject, it's good to see construction of HS2 will create 22,000 jobs. With a minimum estimated budget of £88 billion, that's a mere £4 million per job....
for a railway that will be used by so few.
Totally agree would not matter who was in charge it was always going to get messy. Any government having to deal with Brexit and Covid however competent would struggle.

The irony is if this government does go down in history as the worst it will be down to the fact they were up against the worst opposition at a general election in history. Too left wing, no stance on Brexit completely missed the mood of a nation and got absolutely battered at the polls, seeing the red wall of working class people turn its back on the party of the people. A party that didn’t listen too the working man who took votes for granted, whilst blocking the democratic will of the people.

With the SNP dominant in Scotland a left wing Labour Party will never take office with a majority, the only way to get elected is to move to the Centre ground. It’s only chance was against Teresa May, in reality even then Corbyn was nowhere Near.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22008
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Politics Forum - Yes/No?

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:42 pm

Agree with every word of that Ando.

Post Reply