Ipswich Town vs Wigan Athletic Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Winning start to our League 1 season?

Town Win
69%
Wigan Win
8%
Draw
23%

Total votes: 13

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Wigan Athletic Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:44 am

ImageIpswich Town v Wigan Athletic Image

Sunday 13th September 2020 – 12:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Now For The Real Thing........

Tuesday evening's EFLT fixture against Arsenal U21's ended in a somewhat disappointing defeat, hopes were high that Town's impressive opening day win against Bristol Rovers could be built on and initially thing started very well with Town cruising through the first half and looking in complete control without breaking sweat, while the performance lacked a little bit of the zest from the Rovers game some of the Football was still pleasing on the eye with the Midfield in particular again standing out. Of course we contrived to concede a 45th minute equaliser which really swung the game Arsenal's way and the stepped up a gear in the second half to boss it for long spells, their second goal was worrying in that it carved us wide open and this is something that will need addressing and quickly. Town did respond in the final Fifteen minutes and created numerous chances but it was all to no avail as shots were cleared off the line, saved by the keeper or finding the woodwork which left everyone frustrated and a tad disappointed and while it is not a disaster it wasn't quite what was expected, to progress to the second round it looks as if we will need to beat both Gillingham and Crawley, not that too many are overly fussed.

Once again Andre Dozzell caught the eye and while he faded a little as the game wore on some of his play, particularly his passing was a joy to watch at times, as somebody said he sees passes others don't and maybe, just maybe we are about to see the emergence of the player that Arsenal courted for quite a few Million quid a few years back, it's been a long time coming and of course it's very early days but there is no doubt he is looking like a player again.

The emergence of Corrie Ndaba is another big plus point for me, I knew the club rated him highly but was waiting to see why, I think it is clear we are starting to see that now, a couple of times he raced back to put in superbly timed tackles and avert danger, add to that his composure on the ball as he brings it out of defence belies his age and experience and he has definitely put himself in the frame for a first team slot, suddenly we have real competition for places in that department.

The Bread and Butter league campaign kicks off with a visit from crisis club Wigan Athletic who it has to be said are fortunate to even be competing this season such was the mire they find themselves, indeed at the time of writing it was still not 100% certain they would be granted permission to play, fingers crossed on that one. The fire sale has ripped their squad to pieces and it is a depleted team that will take to the Portman Road pitch, again we can expect to be up against a fair few youngsters if reports are correct so Town really do need to take advantage of this situation, the Sky cameras are also in Town which is not normally good news for Town fans such is our dismal record but for a change i think we should be approaching this one with real confidence.

The injury situation isn't great and at present we can't really be sure as to what starting line up Paul Lambert will go with but even with the injuries we still have a fair bit of strength in depth with the likes of James Norwood, Kayden Jackson and Kane Vincent-Young all closing in on a return to first team Football. It's vital for moral among the fans that we got off to a winning start and I believe we will do just that, 20,000 fans would have helped no end but that can't happen so it's up to the boys to raise their game as they did against Bristol Rovers and get the league campaign off to a flyer, it won't be a stroll, it never is with Town but I see us bringing home the points by the odd goal. Let the real season begin, it all starts now. COYB'S

The Opposition – Wigan Athletic

Founded in 1932, the club plays at the DW Stadium since 1999, sharing the stadium with rugby league club Wigan Warriors. They previously played at Springfield Park for 67 years.

Wigan Athletic played in the lower Leagues until 2nd June 1978 when they were finally elected to the Football League after 34 attempts and near misses over the preceeding 46 years, including one controversial but headline-making application in 1972 to join the Scottish League Second Division.

They gained their first Football League promotion under the management of former Liverpool player Larry Lloyd in 1981–82, when a points tally of 91 saw them join the former Division Three for the first time, beginning a 10-year spell in English football's third tier, until they were relegated for the first time in the club's League history in 1992–93.

Wigan struggled in the fourth tier of English Football, finishing well down the table and average attendences fell to 1,845 by 1995.

Local entrepreneur Dave Whelan acquired the club in 1995, providing funds to move into the JJB Stadium, now named the DW Stadium in his honour.

Through Whelan's business connections in Spain he attracted three Spaniards to the club – Roberto Martínez, Isidro Diaz, and Jesus Seba – who became known as 'The Three Amigos'.

Whelan appointed John Deehan as manager during the 1995–96 season. Deehan took the Latics within two points of a play-off place in his first season; and the following year Wigan Athletic became Division Three champions.

In the summer of 2001, highly regarded young manager Paul Jewell took over as manager. His first season in charge saw mixed results, but Jewell's second season in charge was far more successful. Wigan Athletic went on a run to the quarter finals of the League Cup, and won the Division Two championship, securing promotion to the second tier of the English Football League for the first time in their history.

After losing their first ever game in Division One, Wigan Athletic confounded expectations to go unbeaten for the next 17 games and and finish seventh in Division One.

The following season in the last fixture at home the Latics won promotion to the top division of the English football for the first time in their 73-year history by finishing second in the League.

The club's first ever Premier League season (2005-06) saw a 10th place, which remains the club's highest ever league placing.

Over the next four seasons Wigan struggled for Premier survival with a number of managers taking the helm over this period.

Wigan appointed Roberto Martínez, then manager of Swansea City, as manager prior to the 2009–10 Premier League season.

At the beginning of the 2010–11 season, Wigan fell to the bottom of the league by the end of February. However, despite remaining in the bottom three for the majority of the season, Wigan managed to retain their Premier League status on the last day of the season.

In the 2011-12 season Wigan reached the FA Cup Final for the first time in their history and went on to beat Manchester City 1–0, with a goal in injury time, earning a place in the following seasons Europa League. Unfortunately for Wigan this season also ended their eight year spell in the Premier League and they became the first team to be relegated and win the FA Cup in the same season.

On 14 June 2013, Dave Whelan revealed that a deal had been agreed with Owen Coyle to become the new manager of Wigan Athletic replacing outgoing manager Roberto Martinez who left for Everton. Coyle left the club by mutual agreement on 2 December 2013 having won seven games out of twenty-three. Uwe Rosler replaced him on 7 December.

On 9 March 2014 Wigan beat Manchester City in the 6th Round of the FA Cup to reach the semi-final at Wembley for the second successive year, where they played Arsenal, and lost on penalties after normal time and extra time resulted in a 1–1 draw. After finishing 5th in the Championship, Wigan lost their Championship play-off semi-final to Queens Park Rangers.

Rösler was sacked in November 2014 with the club in the relegation places, and was replaced by Malky Mackay. Whelan resigned as chairman on 3 March 2015, remaining as owner but handing over the chairmanship to his grandson David Sharpe. The following month, with Wigan in danger of relegation to League One, Mackay was sacked and replaced by former Wigan captain Gary Caldwell, yet the team ended the season with relegation.

Over the coming summer the club underwent a transformation with the majority of the playing staff that had been relegated leaving and a raft of new signings arriving.

The club soon found themselves challenging for promotion in the play-off places by mid-November. Following an impressive run of form in the second half of the season where the side lost only once in 23 matches the club effectively sealed promotion at the first attempt.

In October 2016, following a poor start to the season, Caldwell was sacked as manager and replaced by Manchester United coach Warren Joyce. Results did not improve under Joyce, who was sacked in March 2017. Wigan were subsequently relegated back to League One in April and interim manager Graham Barrow left, ending a 15-year association with the club.

Paul Cook, who had just won League Two with Portsmouth, was appointed Wigan manager in June 2017.

The 2017/18 season was a good one for Wigan, the club finished 1st in League One and were promoted to the Championship. They reached the FA Cup quarterfinals after beating Premier League teams, Bournemouth, West Ham United and Premier League champions Manchester City. At the end of the season it was announced that the Whelan family had agreed a deal to sell the club, stadium and training facilities to the Hong Kong based International Entertainment Corporation in a £22m deal.

In the 2018–19 season, Wigan finished 18th in the Championship with 52 points, well clear of the relegation zone.

On 4 June 2020, IEC sold the majority of Wigan Athletic shareholdings to Hong Kong-based Next Leader Fund; the sale was formally ratified and approved by the shareholders of IEC, the Hong Kong Stock Exchange and the EFL. On 1 July 2020, the club - standing 14th in the Championship, eight points clear of relegation, in a season delayed due the COVID-19 pandemic - announced it had gone into administration as Next Leader Fund had refused to invest promised money.

On 4 July, Wigan, previously unbeaten in nine games, lost 3–0 at Brentford. Three days later, on 7 July, 75, around half, of the club's non-playing staff were made redundant by the administrators.

Meanwhile, on 7 July 2020 the club had appealed against the 12-point deduction imposed by the EFL for entering administration. On 14 July, Wigan recorded their biggest League victory, beating Hull City 8–0. This, combined with other results, meant Wigan would not finish in the relegation places, so the 12-point deduction would be applied at the end of the current season. Wigan's appeal against the points deduction, heard on 31 July, was set to cost the club between £400,000 and £500,000. Wigan drew 1–1 against Fulham in their final game of the season; the 12-point deduction pushed Wigan into the bottom three, meaning the club would play in League One if its appeal was unsuccessful. On 4 August, the club's relegation was confirmed and, following the resignation of manager Paul Cook, Leam Richardson was appointed caretaker manager.

The Gaffer – Leam Richardson

Marko’s Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

🏆 Welcome to the new Caption Competition “THE DON CUP” season 2020/21 with the current Champion: AYLESBURYBLUE 🏆

THE DON CUP PICTURED BELOW

The trophy is fast becoming like the snooker world trophy in that debutant winners are not retaining it.
Will the current reigning champion retain his crown? I’m certainly hoping that he pops in on the forum and delivers his sometimes dry wit and sometimes “sock it to ‘em” wit. Last December / January time he was absolutely killing it and 16 points ahead at one point.

Good thing about scoring this season ——> I’m not doing it. 🕺🏽🕺🏽🕺🏽🕺🏽🕺🏽🕺🏽
You’ll see a new member who’s joined just for this sole purpose. His name is Tin Mad Dog, my buddy, and he’s gathering scores from a few others and then posting the result on the following match day thread.

Side note: Hats off to the guys scoring the prediction league. That must be an absolute ball breaker. This is just captions and I seriously struggle to gather the emails and attempt to get the points totted up and scored. So, Tin Mad Dog, working from home until November 2093, said it’ll be a pleasure. No it won’t, but he said it.
He will leave that league table until the 3rd Saturday of the season then post 3 weeks scores and a table.

Good luck y’all...... it is good fun getting that trophy back from the engravers...... always wonder who the next name will be. Stick in, make them funny, witty, clever, rude, get banned, etc etc.
🏆

WIGAN CAPTION PHOTO

Match Referee – Thomas Bramall

IPSWICH TOWN 2 WIGAN ATHLETIC 0

number 9

Re: Ipswich Town vs Wigan Athletic Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:53 pm

I hope we come out of the gates flying and win the match comfortably. We don't need to start the season with a loss, obviously. So, I'll go for the draw 1-1.

Caption: "Another word about my man-boobs and you're off!"

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:14 pm

Caption:

Camp Ref to player: “ Be brutal if you must... but do you think this lime green top is slimming?

Player: “Pick a windae, yer leavin', ye sassenach bufty”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:57 pm

Will read this preview tomorrow when more time, but thanks for posting the pic, Mike. Cheers 👍

Forgot to say in preview...... same rules , two submitted captions, labelled 1 & 2.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:05 pm

Just dived in and voted for us to win it. Instinctive.

Victory on the first weekend of a new season isn't paramount and last time out the team went what 12, 13 games unbeaten only to fall away rapidly as the season had reached March. Left us with little to no chance of a promotion chance at least not in an automatic sense.

Hope to win this, the Bristol game was encouraging but seems such scores and performance are all too rare around here. A 2 - 0 home win but of course these things are subject to change.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:45 pm

Hopefully Town will have enough to be able to beat a Wigan side who have sold there best players unfortunately they still have 2 ex Town players in Garner & Roberts who will want to stick one up us. Garner will spend most of the afternoon throwing himself to the floor and winning dubios freekicks which Roberts will take. If Town don't commit stupid mistakes at the back and have there finishing boots on i would expect to win. But unfortunately this is Ipswich Town and with the manager we have anything is possible.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:46 am

From what Lambo has said, it looks like it’s going to pretty much the team from the last two games.

Toto appears fit, so likely we have Chambo again at RB. Sounds like Lambo will stick with the same midfield and Downes will sit this one out. Probably makes sense to start with Drinan, and throw Norwood or Hawkins on later in the game.
With all these players coming back to full fitness it still feels like pre-season.

With the amount of players leaving Wigan it sounds like it should be an easy game - just like Bolton last year. Much as I’d like to win, hopefully Wigan can put out a decent side and they can give us a game.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:07 am

I always look forward to the start of the season because there’s always a good atmosphere with loads of expectation and anticipation but it feels so strange with no fans and a real anti climax.

I can’t believe we’re on the TV Sunday and I’ve another commitment I can’t get out of, why do friends have Birthdays on a Town Sky Tv Match day, how bloody thoughtless.

Anyway I’ll be following as best I can, maybe I can follow on my iPhone if I’ve got enough internet speed it’s pretty fast in Spain so there’s an outside chance.

Prediction; 1-1. ( a win if it wasn’t for the Sky cameras present)

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:15 pm

I just read we’ve only won 2 of the last 30 televised matches! :roll:

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:20 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:15 pm
I just read we’ve only won 2 of the last 30 televised matches! :roll:
3 out of the last 31 by Sunday afternoon 😁

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:57 pm

Was the last time we won when Noel Hunt scored the last minute winner and Chambers swore on camera?

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 12, 2020 5:36 pm

Do season ticket holders get a free ifollow code or is it only on sky?

Sorry.....found the answer now.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:26 pm

Bloody confusing, can see the free pass thing getting a bit messy with a few missing out on registration.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:40 am

CAPTION 1.........
"Ref to player"....... " I don't make the rules, you can't be in the wall, 6 in there already, Boris says no more than 6"

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:04 am

Wilson in for Woolfenden not another injury?😬
Picked up a knock in training as did Lankester.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:19 am

WTF is going on in training? Injuries +

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:19 am

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:21 am

How the hell do we pick up so many injuries?

Wilson’s hardly played in pre-season due to injury and Toto got injured in the warm-up last game. Don’t think anyone would predict our first league CB partnership would be Toto and Wilson. I wouldn’t rule out Hawkins finishing the game at CB.

Downes not even on the bench. Plenty of time for a head to get sorted out.

With no Dobra or El Mizouni on the bench I think they’re not in Lambert’s plans and will be out on loan.

Ipswich Town: Holy; Chambers, Nsiala, Wilson, Ward; Dozzell, Nolan, Bishop; Judge, Sears, Drinan

Subs: Cornell, Donacien, Kenlock, Huws, Edwards, Norwood, Hawkins

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:24 am

Toto has been better than Woolfy in pre season and the Rovers game so hopefully he will carry that on today, Wilson just needs to do the simple things well and defend it when required. Wouldn't be surprised if Woolfy is off too tbh.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:25 am

CAPTION 2......."You've got to go off, you've just been sold"

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:28 am

Every season it is the same. No one has ever been able to resolve the issue :astroll: What is it that we do to players to turn them into crocks?

Looking forward to the match though & hope the performance is up their with the Bristol game!

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:40 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:24 am
Toto has been better than Woolfy in pre season and the Rovers game so hopefully he will carry that on today, Wilson just needs to do the simple things well and defend it when required. Wouldn't be surprised if Woolfy is off too tbh.
I agree about Woolfy potentially leaving.

I worry about that back 4 if we try and play it out from the back. We could come unstuck.....or resort to hoofball.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:00 pm

, the welcome to portman road sign has just been shown on sky tv, it looks knackered, covered in bird sh*te and broken. Great advert for itfc

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:15 pm

1-0 Teddy Bishop, Wigan had started well, nice header from Bish.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:18 pm

Good to see Bishop scoring but we are rubbish and should be losing.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:19 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:18 pm
Good to see Bishop scoring but we are rubbish and should be losing.
Spot on.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:20 pm

indeed. We are very poor

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:31 pm

Coming into it now, Drinan header off the bar when should have scored and Bishop effort tipped onto the post

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:32 pm

Yes. playing better now

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:35 pm

Ward is a great signing.