Bristol Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Two League wins in a row?

Bristol Win
10%
Ipswich Win
70%
Draw
20%

Total votes: 10

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Bristol Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:51 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:49 pm
Having watched the highlights I've changed my opinion slightly. I still think Bristol were terrible and we player fat too many long high balls from the back. But the h8ghlights show that we created s4veral good chances. some saved, some blocked, one cleared off the line and a couple missed.

Still think it was a poor game but we very much were the better side.
It's often the case with me too Andy, you watch it again and see things you missed or slightly differently, now't wrong with that.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:11 pm

I saw the extended highlights (8- 9 mins with Bristol commentary). In actual fact, we were a bit slack in defence regarding crosses at times. BR did have chances but were toothless.
A large part of the game was stodgy, but I thought we showed some genuine classy moments. Nolan’s through ball to Edwards where he rounded the keeper was fantastic and Dozzell’s movement and cross down the left where Hawkins headed wide was brilliant. And Nolan took his goal well. He had two defenders in front and just dropped his shoulder to create space to bobble his shot past the keeper. It was hardly a gift.
I’m not sure what we have to expect? I’m seeing a new style and a different combination of players and you can’t just go from crap football to 90 minutes of total football overnight. Maybe it’s because I’ve watched so many disappointing performances in the last few years, but I didn’t think that was in any ways bad at all.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:44 pm

We have played 2 very poor sides and sit top the league. Please do not start getting carried away that we are a top side, because we are far from it. I would love us to dominate this league but I just don't think we are good enough.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:16 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:44 pm
We have played 2 very poor sides and sit top the league. Please do not start getting carried away that we are a top side, because we are far from it. I would love us to dominate this league but I just don't think we are good enough.
I agree. The midfield is functioning well. Not sure about up front. The defence has yet to be really tested. I thought Chambers had a good game all rpund on Saturday. But when he is the most constructive defender you have to wonder about the rest.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:15 am

Yes it's early days but you can only get 6 points from 2 games and we have achieved that. The others have to knock us off our perch now.

From the highlights I have seen we are moving the ball much faster now and our midfield trio is really showing the kind of quality that we expect. This kind of football is going to be very hard for our opponents to match 7 times out of 10 in this league. We didn't yet experience any 'bruising' encounters so it remains to be seen whether our strategy will work for that too but early signs are really encouraging.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:37 am

True we have played poor sides t date. But to say we (the fans) are getting carried away just because we dare to comment how great it feels to be top or that we are playing well, but its only against poor opponents is a bit churlish tbh .

When can our poor longstanding fans ever be allowed a moment of happiness and positivity if it isn't when we do win? Why does it have to be gloom and doom all the time. Its self defeating tbh . Enjoy the feeling of winning while it last, and if we lose to a team , it doesn't mean its a case of,
"I told you so" either. I hope Tow can stay focused throughout the whole season , and the crux of whether we are true promotion candidates will probably lay in the 10 fixtures we have against the top 5 clubs around us - last season we failed to beat any of those clubs