Injuries at this Club

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

tangfastic
Posts: 3158
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by tangfastic » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:05 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:51 am
Tang: of course I agree Skuse has probably had his day now. But my question was who have we got that can fill that role now ?

Downes is out for 3 months plus. So who else is there ?

On the question of Downes. He does seem / appear to be a tad reckless in his tackling . Yes I love a player that goes snd gets the ball . But the refs are very hot on overly aggressive play , and tackles from behind these days aren’t they ! He just seems to lunge in and unless he tempers / modifies that s little he’s going to see a lot of red cards in his career I think .


For now anyway, is Huws the one ?
No I don’t think anyone can truly do the same job as Downes. Including Skuse. We just assume that because Downes can do a defensive job, then Skuse is his obvious replacement. I think they’re two different players. Downes has more bite and strength and can provide more than Skuse going forward.
Seeing as we’ve got about 10 players in the squad who can play central midfield, then that says something about the balance of the squad if no one else can offer some defensive cover. Huws, Nolan, Judge, McGavin... I dunno... one of them has to step up if needed. It’s not as if Skuse was a one-man midfield defence who snuffed out every attack.... it should be a combined effort from the midfield. I don’t see a perfect solution... but what we miss out from Skuse defensively we can possibly gain more offensively from someone else. I’d say if we were to bring on Huws as a sub it would be to stiffen up the midfield as opposed to add more going forward. So maybe Huws.... I can’t see him as a number 8 anymore or a number 10 ... so maybe he could do the job of sitting deeper. We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it as I doubt if both Skuse and Downes would have been in the first eleven anyway today if fit.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 1986
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by rossi » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:12 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:51 am
Tang: of course I agree Skuse has probably had his day now. But my question was who have we got that can fill that role now ?

Downes is out for 3 months plus. So who else is there
?

On the question of Downes. He does seem / appear to be a tad reckless in his tackling . Yes I love a player that goes snd gets the ball . But the refs are very hot on overly aggressive play , and tackles from behind these days aren’t they ! He just seems to lunge in and unless he tempers / modifies that s little he’s going to see a lot of red cards in his career I think .


For now anyway, is Huws the one ?
To be honest, I'm not sure we need anybody in a defensive midfield role - we play 4 across the back against a maximum of 3 strikers, so in my book if the defence are doing their jobs properly they will be able to do their own mopping up.

Ando
Posts: 1311
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by Ando » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:21 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:12 am
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:51 am
Tang: of course I agree Skuse has probably had his day now. But my question was who have we got that can fill that role now ?

Downes is out for 3 months plus. So who else is there
?

On the question of Downes. He does seem / appear to be a tad reckless in his tackling . Yes I love a player that goes snd gets the ball . But the refs are very hot on overly aggressive play , and tackles from behind these days aren’t they ! He just seems to lunge in and unless he tempers / modifies that s little he’s going to see a lot of red cards in his career I think .


For now anyway, is Huws the one ?
To be honest, I'm not sure we need anybody in a defensive midfield role - we play 4 across the back against a maximum of 3 strikers, so in my book if the defence are doing their jobs properly they will be able to do their own mopping up.
I agree Rossi, Dozzell is playing in that space and is the ball player, Downes has been playing ahead of dozzell, saying that the midfield does interchange a bit and Dozzell often pops up on the left wing. Tactically you do need someone to take up the space in front of the back four especially with the fullbacks pushing on.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22575
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:31 am

If we are going to play a defensive midfielder then McGavin is the obvious choice from the remaining options, I'm just not sure about him tbh but he sits very deep as opposed to the likes of Huws etc.

tangfastic
Posts: 3158
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by tangfastic » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:48 pm

Ando wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:21 am
rossi wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:12 am
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:51 am
Tang: of course I agree Skuse has probably had his day now. But my question was who have we got that can fill that role now ?

Downes is out for 3 months plus. So who else is there
?

On the question of Downes. He does seem / appear to be a tad reckless in his tackling . Yes I love a player that goes snd gets the ball . But the refs are very hot on overly aggressive play , and tackles from behind these days aren’t they ! He just seems to lunge in and unless he tempers / modifies that s little he’s going to see a lot of red cards in his career I think .


For now anyway, is Huws the one ?
To be honest, I'm not sure we need anybody in a defensive midfield role - we play 4 across the back against a maximum of 3 strikers, so in my book if the defence are doing their jobs properly they will be able to do their own mopping up.
I agree Rossi, Dozzell is playing in that space and is the ball player, Downes has been playing ahead of dozzell, saying that the midfield does interchange a bit and Dozzell often pops up on the left wing. Tactically you do need someone to take up the space in front of the back four especially with the fullbacks pushing on.
Agreed. So far we haven’t used a specific defensive midfielder yet and it’s working so far. We haven’t let many in and we’re scoring goals - from midfield !

I think it’s a team effort more than anything. When we didn’t have the ball yesterday, the team worked hard to get behind the ball and, at times, were able to break quickly. Early days but it might be a blessing in disguise that Downes and Skuse aren’t available. It means others have to take their chance... and maybe we need to back ourselves that if we will concede one or two, then we’ll score two or three.

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4544
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by Andym » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:32 pm

I agree. We are covering well for each other. And st our best we are moving forward quickly and getting the midfield in the opposing penalty area.

tangfastic
Posts: 3158
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by tangfastic » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:48 pm

Injury update .... sort of. Even though our host of injured players are doing well, there’s no real time-frame when they’ll be ready.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-t ... -1-6908187

Looks like Norwood is ahead of KVY, Drinan, Downes and Skuse as he’s returned to training.Might need a few weeks to get match fit and get rid of extra pounds though.

hallamblue
Posts: 25291
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:50 pm

Thanks for that tang. I am a bit encouraged with the news tbh 👍. Here’s hoping we get these players back soon . We need them.

hallamblue
Posts: 25291
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:59 pm

Ok then here's the injuries update .....Usual lengthy time out predicted . Im past caring now tbh.......

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... -fortnight

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18621
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by marko69 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:11 pm

Headline in that link , Hallam

Bish out for a few weeks and Sears out for a fortnight.

That's the f**king same is it not? :lol:

hallamblue
Posts: 25291
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by hallamblue » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:33 pm

ha ha yes it appears to be . I think PL has "lost" it now tbh .....with his latest interview on twtd , he almost seems to expect to be sacked...or sadly is begging for it so he can just walk away.

It looks like Bishop wont be playing this side of the New Year, whilst Sears is out for a couple of weeks...no make that months as is normal for our players .

I think we have 9 senior players out now .Laughable .

mugen1
Posts: 379
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by mugen1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:07 pm

It's the same season after season & no one ever gets to the bottom of it. How is that possible? :astroll:

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22575
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:42 pm

Well we've tried to blame several managers and owners with little change, maybe it's time to look at who really cause the problems, the players !!!!!

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 1961
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by Ricco » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:15 pm

Players causing their own injuries, you mean lifestyle-wise? Or do you mean the bigger picture?

Evans has owned the club for 13 years next month (nice little omen!). Even Chambers and Skuse have only been here 8 and 7 years respectively, there hasn't been many other constants in that period of steady, but very consistent decline.

I think plenty of the blame can be levelled at the players, they seem to not have to take any responsibility these days, but on the flip side, they are largely young and stupid, it's up the club as a whole, whether that's coaches, manager or senior players to get the right mentality in to the playing squad, maybe that's where fans come in to the equation too.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22575
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:35 pm

I meant the bigger picture to be honest, I forgot the thread title and read Mugens comment, the teams failure, players at fault as much as anyone.

User avatar
Ricco
Posts: 1961
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:05 pm

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by Ricco » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:02 pm

Ha I did exactly the same to you and only realised it was an injury thread after posting.

Players are so protected these days, perhaps more so at higher levels, but if they get criticised, then they just sulk until their agent can get them a transfer elsewhere (like Dele Alli). Or as a whole they just play crap until the manager is sacked, pretty shameful, even Dyer recently admitted he had regrets after doing such things.

tangfastic
Posts: 3158
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by tangfastic » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:38 am

The fitness coach Jim Henry leaves the club.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/jim-henry ... -1-6947974

Not that much info - whether he was sacked or resigned. It mentions there has been some disagreements behind the scenes. With who - it doesn’t mention.

Seeing as we’re in a period where players are dropping like flies - has he been singled out? Seems like he’s got a decent history as a coach and has a working history with Lambo.

hallamblue
Posts: 25291
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:06 pm

Lol you beat me to it Tang .

Interesting move by the Club I think .

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22575
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:06 pm

From Hibs, say no more...... :wink:

hallamblue
Posts: 25291
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Injuries at this Club

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:39 pm

lol ...not meaning to ageist in any way here , but at 68yrs old , isn't he a tad too old to be the LEAD sports strength / conditioning coach at a professional Football Club, that should be using the most up to date and scientific led professional conditioning methods ? More examples of Evans cost cutting ? I think the cleaner is now running that sector of the Club. It really is a farce isn't it!!

Post Reply