Ipswich Town vs Rochdale AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3rd Win in a row?

Ipswich Win
94%
Rochdale Win
6%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 17

derick_ipsw

Re: Ipswich Town vs Rochdale AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:06 pm

Good win against decent opposition Hawkins played very well as did Edwards and Bishop.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:07 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:04 pm
Agree with Mick Mills in that we did tend to sit back too much and invite Rochdale onto us near the end. However, another 3 points, another clean sheet lots to be positive about.
Yes, was wondering that myself from the stats; 15-15 in shots.

But 3 out of 3 ... and Wigan beat Pompey away and burst my coupon .... so...... Great start. Get a Lambo statue started.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:08 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Agree with Mick Mills in that we did tend to sit back too much and invite Rochdale onto us near the end. However, another 3 points, another clean sheet lots to be positive about.
That’s an age old problem of ours tbh. Think we’ve got the game sown up only to gift a goal more often than not . Certainly will against better sides.

Footnote: just to demonstrate how hard this division is , I see Wigan beat Pompey away !

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:18 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:35 am

Prediction 2-0 home win, which is a bit of a worry given my current Prediction League form.
Looks like the sleeping giant might be waking from his slumber? :wink: ....well certainly compared to my meagre week 3 total of 4 points so far. Really need Liverpool to come good for me now!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:20 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:08 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Footnote: just to demonstrate how hard this division is , I see Wigan beat Pompey away !
This League seems as difficult as the Championship for unpredictable results. Nice to see Derby doing so well! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:21 pm

Don't know what people watch sometimes, Nsiala excellent second half.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:21 pm
A few of his longer forward passes worried me in first half, but when it came to defending in the box i agree he did everything asked of him, including one paricularly well timed challenge which could easily have resulted in a penalty if he had got it wrong.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:31 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:21 pm
Nsiala defensively strong today, but did give the ball away 3 times first half that put us under pressure. Thought him and Wilson looked pretty comfortable all game.

Dozzell looking better and better every game, wont surprise me if a club comes in for him before the transfer window closes. Edwards looked a threat throughout. Lots to be positive about.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:31 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:07 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Yes, was wondering that myself from the stats; 15-15 in shots.

But 3 out of 3 ... and Wigan beat Pompey away and burst my coupon .... so...... Great start. Get a Lambo statue started.
Is that the same Wigan who are the "weakest team in our division" ? Maybe our win against them wasn't so worthless after all.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:40 pm

I thought it was a pretty comfortable victory without us needing to be anything special, however I felt we did a few things really well. Again for me our Midfield was very impressive with Dozzell carrying on his good form and being well backed up by Bishop and Nolan, defensively we stayed strong for the most part, yes Toto made a couple of sloppy passes but his defending saved Two almost certain Rochdale goals and I think he won nearly every header that came his way, the tackle where he tracked back to dispossess the striker in the box was top notch.

I thought Edwards started slowly but improved as the game wore on, Chambo, Ward and Wilson error free and solid. Only weak link for me, yet again was Sears, I'm afraid he's garbage, woeful free kicks, awful shooting, powder puff tackling etc etc, get him dropped and we'll be fine.

I thought Hawkins offered so much more than Norwood ever has and could on another day have had a hat-trick, he is a real handful. Holy was not overly troubled and only had One save to make, his first in Three games really.

All in all a pretty comfortable win which could have been Four or Five, another clean sheet and plenty of players returning from injury, plenty of reasons to be cheerful, Peterborough, Portsmouth and Fleetwood all fancied all having blinders today lol. We must stay grounded though as we haven't beaten anyone yet.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:53 pm

Lots of positives today.
1. Lots of good quick.passing. Short passes and long passes. As Tang said, there's nothing wrong with a long ball if it finds it's target. Very few aimless humps from the defence today.
2. For the first hour we won so many 50-50 balls, getting there first. A sign of confidence and attacking intent.
3. I haven't seen the goals back yet but I guess we had 3 or 4 in the box for both goals. With Dozzell playing deep we have 5 others getting forward. The loose ball will eventually find a Town player. That's going to be important as Hawkins is more of a hold up player than goal scorer.. Soniften last year we would have one (or fewer) in the box.
Overall a good performance.
The negatives.
1. Downes. Very disappointed that he seemed more interested in niggling than taking control of the game. A very good player but he won't get in the team like that.
2. Sears' free kick.
3. In previous games we struggled in defence in the air. Today I was more worried on the floor. Last season we started with a winning run because the opposition didn't take their chances. Once they did we struggled. Three clean sheets but I really don't feel comfortable. We allowed them 15 shots today. We blocked a few but it was inaccuracy on their part that helped us maintain the run.

I don't think we are promotion contenders as I say I'm not convinced by the defence and we haven't had a striker score yet I think. But we certainly have enough to be top half. As long as that's true we can always aim to make the play offs. A little wary of our midfield. They are playing so well in what is close to a 4-1-2-3 formation. Once a decent team attacks down the wings we could be exposed as it's a very narrow formation.

Regardless of all that, lots of good footy today in far from ideal conditions.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:32 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:53 pm
Lots of positives today.
1. Lots of good quick.passing. Short passes and long passes. As Tang said, there's nothing wrong with a long ball if it finds it's target. Very few aimless humps from the defence today.
2. For the first hour we won so many 50-50 balls, getting there first. A sign of confidence and attacking intent.
3. I haven't seen the goals back yet but I guess we had 3 or 4 in the box for both goals. With Dozzell playing deep we have 5 others getting forward. The loose ball will eventually find a Town player. That's going to be important as Hawkins is more of a hold up player than goal scorer.. Soniften last year we would have one (or fewer) in the box.
Overall a good performance.
The negatives.
1. Downes. Very disappointed that he seemed more interested in niggling than taking control of the game. A very good player but he won't get in the team like that.
2. Sears' free kick.
3. In previous games we struggled in defence in the air. Today I was more worried on the floor. Last season we started with a winning run because the opposition didn't take their chances. Once they did we struggled. Three clean sheets but I really don't feel comfortable. We allowed them 15 shots today. We blocked a few but it was inaccuracy on their part that helped us maintain the run.

I don't think we are promotion contenders as I say I'm not convinced by the defence and we haven't had a striker score yet I think. But we certainly have enough to be top half. As long as that's true we can always aim to make the play offs. A little wary of our midfield. They are playing so well in what is close to a 4-1-2-3 formation. Once a decent team attacks down the wings we could be exposed as it's a very narrow formation.

Regardless of all that, lots of good footy today in far from ideal conditions.
I think you have somed it up perfectly .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:16 pm

Read on a couple places now about Downes today. Sounds like he might be angry about something.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:24 pm

CAPTION 2.. " LMFAO did you see Sears free kick"

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:20 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:16 pm
Read on a couple places now about Downes today. Sounds like he might be angry about something.
losing his place to a better player hopefully.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:29 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:40 pm
I thought it was a pretty comfortable victory without us needing to be anything special, however I felt we did a few things really well. Again for me our Midfield was very impressive with Dozzell carrying on his good form and being well backed up by Bishop and Nolan, defensively we stayed strong for the most part, yes Toto made a couple of sloppy passes but his defending saved Two almost certain Rochdale goals and I think he won nearly every header that came his way, the tackle where he tracked back to dispossess the striker in the box was top notch.

I thought Edwards started slowly but improved as the game wore on, Chambo, Ward and Wilson error free and solid. Only weak link for me, yet again was Sears, I'm afraid he's garbage, woeful free kicks, awful shooting, powder puff tackling etc etc, get him dropped and we'll be fine.

I thought Hawkins offered so much more than Norwood ever has and could on another day have had a hat-trick, he is a real handful. Holy was not overly troubled and only had One save to make, his first in Three games really.

All in all a pretty comfortable win which could have been Four or Five, another clean sheet and plenty of players returning from injury, plenty of reasons to be cheerful, Peterborough, Portsmouth and Fleetwood all fancied all having blinders today lol. We must stay grounded though as we haven't beaten anyone yet.
i thought Chambo got forward really well today, and some of his forward passes and crosses where really very good. Hawkins I think will get better and better as he finds his feet at Town. He's a big ole lump for sure and quite nimble on his feet considering his size, but also not especially quick over the first couple of meters from standing, but he uses his body brilliantly ( that assist was quality ). But you cant have it all really, but as you say , he's offering more than Norwood. The competition for a place in the side is very good. Ward oozes class tbh and I don't here any complaints about his age now fans can see what he's about.

Nsiala was very good , and brave at times getting in where it hurts with his head. His distribution out of defence is suspect, but then so also was Dozzell at times. I just think the better sides will score against that defence though . So I think we need something else in there.

I don't want to be too picky today given it was a professional performance IMO and we did what we needed too, to get the 3 points ( and that's largely what its about this season), but i really want us to put teams like this to the sword and capitalize. Be more clinical, because when we play the likes of Sunderland , Posh, Pompey, Hull, etc we might only get one chance in the game and we have to be able to take it .

COYB's

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:48 pm

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:15 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:29 pm

i thought Chambo got forward really well today, and some of his forward passes and crosses where really very good.
I was worried when he started the season at right back. But so far he's done very well both defensively and getting forward. At his age it can't be easy getting up and down the pitch but he has really impressed me.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:22 am

Bluemike wrote:

Agree with much of that.

Sears hasn’t done it the last couple of games. Lankester seems the obvious one to replace him, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sears start again or even Judge come in out wide.

I think the way we play, we’ll be bringing in a wide player before the deadline. Hopefully, someone who has an eye for goal.

And Freddie’s free-kicks ... Jesus... he must be nailing those in training, but they’re pathetic, powder-puff efforts. Just get someone to leather it at the wall. If it doesn’t clear the wall, it’s likely to wind or concuss an opponent.

Hawkins did well and deserves to start again. Can’t see him scoring many, but if he unsettles the opposition and brings in other players then he’s doing his job. Norwood’s got a fight on his hands to get back in the side. Noticeable he gave away a free-kick whilst challenging for a high-ball where Hawkins would have won it and he was winning most in the air.

Just don’t agree that Toto was excellent. Too many sloppy passes. The great goal-saving tackle he made was down to him giving the ball away in a dangerous position. Some very good headers and tackles, but too many mistakes. Wilson has been more solid IMO. I’d still stick with Toto and Wilson even if Woolf is fit, though.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:52 am

It may be that I'm being a little generous towards Toto due to his definite improvement on last season but while I agree his passing in the first half especially was poor I still felt he was excellent second half.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:46 am

Andym wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:15 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:29 pm

i thought Chambo got forward really well today, and some of his forward passes and crosses where really very good.
I was worried when he started the season at right back. But so far he's done very well both defensively and getting forward. At his age it can't be easy getting up and down the pitch but he has really impressed me.
I think both our ageing “ wingbacks”, Ward and Chambo have done a remarkable job tbh. Obviously I’d rather have KVY in there ahead of chambo but I’d have Nydam as awards understudy in the absence of any other experienced LB, and certainly have him ahead of the disappointing Kenlock who just doesn’t seem to have it in him to push on does he.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:48 am

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:00 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:22 am
Bluemike wrote:

Agree with much of that.

Sears hasn’t done it the last couple of games. Lankester seems the obvious one to replace him, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sears start again or even Judge come in out wide.

I think the way we play, we’ll be bringing in a wide player before the deadline. Hopefully, someone who has an eye for goal.

And Freddie’s free-kicks ... Jesus... he must be nailing those in training, but they’re pathetic, powder-puff efforts. Just get someone to leather it at the wall. If it doesn’t clear the wall, it’s likely to wind or concuss an opponent.

Hawkins did well and deserves to start again. Can’t see him scoring many, but if he unsettles the opposition and brings in other players then he’s doing his job. Norwood’s got a fight on his hands to get back in the side. Noticeable he gave away a free-kick whilst challenging for a high-ball where Hawkins would have won it and he was winning most in the air.

Just don’t agree that Toto was excellent. Too many sloppy passes. The great goal-saving tackle he made was down to him giving the ball away in a dangerous position. Some very good headers and tackles, but too many mistakes. Wilson has been more solid IMO. I’d still stick with Toto and Wilson even if Woolf is fit, though.
Dozzell will once again be attracting attention of the bigger clubs come the next window I’m sure, and he’ll probably go despite all his rhetoric.

There has been a fair bit of chat on the other forum for a while about a possible link with Marcus Maddison. Could just be that, “chat”, but PL said yesterday didn’t he that he wanted a winger. I think he’s very cagey about Lankester doing too much after two bouts of spinal injuries, so yes I can see Sears starting ahead of him , and they’ll gradually reintroduce him to the games over the season I think. Your right though, Freddie should be steered we’ll clear of any free kicks . He’s abysmal :lol:

Toto is a mixture of things really. p*ss poor passing out of defence especially first half. But then his actually defending abilities looked pretty solid. He won just about every single header, made two or three blocks on dead- cert goals from Rochdale. Maybe he needs to look for Dozzell ( who made several poor passes out too I might add, and had to helped out by Nolan coming deeper in the end), for the shorter pass from Toto?

As you say though , sticking with players is the right thing to do. It creates competition and players know they will have to be on their game to get into the side. But more importantly it allows little partnerships to develop all over the side.

Norwood? I’m starting to wonder about him .id rather have Jackson in the side ,but as many have said he doesn’t seem to fit the pattern of play we have adopted. But we have no pace in the team, which I think were going to need against the better teams.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:15 am

Toto has come a long way from almost a year when it looked like he had played his last game for the club. Good move from PL to get him out on loan.

I agree with Tangs comments on Hawkins, I loved the way he put himself across the defender when the ball was played into him for the bishop goal. That’s such a weapon to have especially with players running off him. Does he need some bigger socks? He reminds me of Ian Marshall a bit.

I think PL will keep picking Sears whilst easing Lankester back. Sears has been linking well with Ward and is a threat coming off the left. NO MORE FREE KICKS. But is there anyone else apart from Judge?

I liked Bishops celebration, I think it’s likely to do with people on social media saying he should be replaced by Downes. Don’t think there has been anything nasty but it does point to healthy competition for places.

Another pleasing sign for me was the number of chances we created against a team who sat deep and played on the counter. We struggled against this tactic last season and were often caught on the counter. I am sure we will get caught a few times on the counter as the season progresses, hopefully we will continue to create at the other end.

Rochdale played their part in what I thought was a decent game of football.

The key for me as always is injuries, any successful season for any club has an element of luck with injuries.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:25 pm

Did not expect to be beaten. You don't lose at home to Rochdale. Games hereafter, Milton Keynes, Charlton and Accrington, you got to believe there are further victories ahead. Maybe playing without the crowd works for us, you know, lowers expectations. Players can relax a bit and get on with what they got to do.

Stats indicate the opposition yesterday created a number of chances and maybe could have taken something from it but I felt the result was never in any real doubt even before game start. Still so much to do and time ahead but this is a real move in the right direction. You can't ask for much more where the team's at.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:22 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:20 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:08 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
This League seems as difficult as the Championship for unpredictable results. Nice to see Derby doing so well! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Derby are my fav for administration of the Championship clubs. They’ve dodged the bullet for so long now. I hate they way they’ve been so reckless.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:22 pm

Derby are my fav for administration of the Championship clubs. They’ve dodged the bullet for so long now. I hate they way they’ve been so reckless.
They certainly have been eeckless. The thing is, where has throwing loads of money at their attempts to get to the premier league? Absolutely nowhere! Even with their gamble on the former big names of Cocu and Rooney to manage/play seems to be spectacularly backfiring.
Personally i have no sympathy for them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:18 pm

Nsiala in Team of the week, rightly so, clearly I'm not going mad.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:06 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:23 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:22 pm

They certainly have been eeckless. The thing is, where has throwing loads of money at their attempts to get to the premier league? Absolutely nowhere! Even with their gamble on the former big names of Cocu and Rooney to manage/play seems to be spectacularly backfiring.
Personally i have no sympathy for them.
Me neither. I lost count of the millions they were spending year on year and yet they kept dipping out of the playoff zone every season. Now they’ve had to sell they stadium to pay off some of the debts ....what else have they got left to sell? It could be another “ Bolton” if the get relegated, I think.

Mike, I think Toto getting in that team of the week has blasted a few Town fans lol . Hopefully he’ll settle down and relax into the position a play even better going forwards . But we need ALL players at the top of their games this season. We can’t rely on just one of two players trying to pull the team through. I think that’s half been Chambers problem. He’s been trying to do it all ..ie covering for other players . He’s not the quickest and so gets caught out doing this I think.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:42 pm

We do need everyone pulling out their best performances and tbh so far we've seen this, with the odd exception the players are doing what is required, I do think Norwood and Sears need to up their games though.