MK Dons vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Remain Unbeaten?

Dons Win
7%
Town Win
57%
Draw
36%

Total votes: 14

Andym

Re: MK Dons vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:15 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:57 pm
Those three 2-0 wins before today against those so called easy teams well all three won today, got to look on the bright side. 😂
The downside of which is that we were outplayed today by the team currently bottom of the league. 😂.

Realistically it was just one of those games. We couldn't cope with being tightly marked. To summerise, the front 6 all were pretty nonexistent through poor service from the back 4. Yet they (the defence) defended pretty well. Unfortunately they kept returning the ball to the opposition.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:24 am

Andym wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:15 pm
Kerry Blue wrote:
Those three 2-0 wins before today against those so called easy teams well all three won today, got to look on the bright side. 😂
The downside of which is that we were outplayed today by the team currently bottom of the league. 😂.

Realistically it was just one of those games. We couldn't cope with being tightly marked. To summerise, the front 6 all were pretty nonexistent through poor service from the back 4. Yet they (the defence) defended pretty well. Unfortunately they kept returning the ball to the opposition.
Mmmm sounds familiar doesn’t it?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:42 am

Exactly, we were told those Three were all sh*te just because we beat them, well all Three keep getting good results against so called better sides, hilarious really.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:43 am

And yesterday was nothing like last season because last season we lose that type of game.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:54 am

bluejacko wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:24 am
Andym wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:15 pm
Kerry Blue wrote:

Mmmm sounds familiar doesn’t it?

Well that sounds to me like a poor midfield ( the link between defence and attack surely !)

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:58 am

number 9 wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:31 pm

Ward Achilles, Downe's Knee...great. :astroll:
And no doubt with our injury record and rehabilitation credentials these two players will be out far longer than they should be , AND get injured again when they return as past experiences appear to indicate . At least these two injuries actually happened in a match situation!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:16 am

In the grand scheme of things a draw’s not a bad result. MK looked pretty decent, but lacked sharpness up front. Not so much worried about the result. It’s a 46 game season and an away draw (if that means anything in empty stadiums) is ok.

It’s just disappointing that pretty much all the match, MK dominated the game. If they were squeezing us, then there would be other areas of space on the pitch which we could exploit. We didn’t though. Even though we finished a man down, it was 11 v 11 for most of the match, but it felt like they had a man or two advantage. That felt like last season. We should have enough nous and experience to deal with that at times.
No need to panic, but I hope there’ll have a good team discussion about how were dominated so much and how we can find space more easily. I hope someone’s giving good advice to Dozzell and Bishop about how they can deal better with close marking.
Not sure what the advice at HT was, but we went further into our shell and MK just took even more control.

On the substitution’s , agree with Downes for Bishop ( who went missing), but I don’t see what Judge had to offer on the left wing. Freddie isn’t the quickest and very rarely beats defenders in a foot race, but Judge is even slower and is not a wide man. Jackson could have provided that extra pace on the wing against a defence which wasn’t the quickest. Hopefully, the new guy, Bennett’s, can provide that extra bit of pace and natural width down the flank.
Defence held out well. Toto especially was very good. Thought Holy was a bit flaky coming for crosses. Crosses should be his meat and drink for a 6ft 9” GK.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:15 am

After seeing the brief highlights and reading two other match reports, what you’ve written above seems to be bang on the money, Tangfastic.

So much different from the Aussie AFL post match stuff. The team I follow lost their Qualifying final play off yesterday to go into the elimination final play off next week, and the coach was saying it like it clearly was ——-> “it’s just not good enough, we need to be better, we need to be the first to every ball, we need to be quicker, sharper........” And he was talking about his team who finished 3rd in the table of the overall season. They’ve been superb all season. But yesterday they were lethargic.

Don’t know what it is about McCarthy and now Lambert in relation to Ipswich Town fans. Does he think they’re all thick? Because both seem to take the p*ss slightly. There is NOTHING wrong with saying it like it is without being aggressive. I’d have an absolute ton more respect for Lambo if he said it like it is. Yes, he done well praising the defence because the defence looked as if they stood up well to what MKD were doing, but the stats warrant more of a Damien Hardwick Richmond Tigers presser, regardless of league position, ....... “we need to be better.”
Repeating that over and over should permeate into the players heads.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:26 am

well, it was definitely a game of 2 halves for me.

First half, I was quietly optimistic about our chances this season.

Second half - woeful, we didnt have a clue. It beggars belief the difference between the performances of the 2 halves, and to me it indicates that is one thing we still have to change from last season.

High point for me was N'Siala - I thought he was a colossus and he's getting better and better.

Low point was Lambert's insistence on giving Judge some game time - he offered nothing and for me it was one of the worst substitutions I've ever seen in my life.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:11 pm

Although the second half was awful from our perspective, i didn't see it as a game of two halves.. I implied at half time that we were second best.

I think their extra numbers in midfield closed us down and we had no answer. I'm still not sure what we could have done unless we adopted the MM approach of matching them. It's almost a 4-1-2-3 formation which lacks midfield width but it's worked in previous games where we were given space.

The real positive for me in a game where there were very few was how we get forward in numbers. A scrappy goal that we wouldn't have got in previous seasons because we had 4 men in the opposition box. And when Sears sh*t wide in the first half there were I think.at least 3 other Ipswich players in the area. That's why the midfield are scoring this season; they no longer are tightened to get forward. Long may it continue.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:23 pm

The comments on this thread regarding Judge I fully concur with . I think he’s a total waste of space. What a shame we didn’t take QPR’s offer ..,, hindsight as they say !

I don’t think he should be anywhere near that first team squad. When he goes play he tends to wander all over the pitch and cocking up any agreed game plan. He’s one I’d definitely offload ASAP.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:29 pm

Last word on this and there isn't really much to add to it but Lamberts analysis on the event made interesting reading. He quotes "One of our best performances, team resolve and desire were effective, players threw bodies for the cause, (I) was really happy with them"

He goes on "We're a big club and everyone wants to beat us. We are still unbeaten and form is highly satisfactory. I'm pleased" "We're playing really well, it were a very good performance (given the dismissal into the second period) . Really happy with a lot of what went on"

He will however field a much changed line-up for the Gillingham Cup game that will entail a junior team with little to no senior figures featuring.

Point being, I read a lot of post-game reports on how poor the team may have been and the manager comes out with something different or builds it up to something encouraging. Can be tough to highlight the truth sometimes but Lambert was there and viewed what occurred. Guess his opinion is a little more optimistic than some others. Didn't realize at first the opposition now sit at the foot of the league and that puts things into context a little more but knew ahead of time the winning run was to end sooner of later. It's remains a very good position to be in so soon into a new season however. A cup win in the EFL trophy thing would be good for morale maybe but how determined will the players be that the manager selects on the day or how much do they - or Lambert - even want to progress in it.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:59 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:11 pm
Although the second half was awful from our perspective, i didn't see it as a game of two halves.\. I implied at half time that we were second best.

I think their extra numbers in midfield closed us down and we had no answer. I'm still not sure what we could have done unless we adopted the MM approach of matching them. It's almost a 4-1-2-3 formation which lacks midfield width but it's worked in previous games where we were given space.

The real positive for me in a game where there were very few was how we get forward in numbers. A scrappy goal that we wouldn't have got in previous seasons because we had 4 men in the opposition box. And when Sears sh*t wide in the first half there were I think.at least 3 other Ipswich players in the area. That's why the midfield are scoring this season; they no longer are tightened to get forward. Long may it continue.
so are you saying that we were awful in both halves? :D

Not sure I agree with you about midfield - they played 3-5-2 and we played 4-3-3, which effectively is 5 in midfield whatever you call the formation

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:53 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:26 am
well, it was definitely a game of 2 halves for me.

First half, I was quietly optimistic about our chances this season.

Second half - woeful, we didnt have a clue. It beggars belief the difference between the performances of the 2 halves, and to me it indicates that is one thing we still have to change from last season.

High point for me was N'Siala - I thought he was a colossus and he's getting better and better.

Low point was Lambert's insistence on giving Judge some game time - he offered nothing and for me it was one of the worst substitutions I've ever seen in my life.
Agree with pretty much every word of that.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:50 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:59 pm

so are you saying that we were awful in both halves? :D

Not sure I agree with you about midfield - they played 3-5-2 and we played 4-3-3, which effectively is 5 in midfield whatever you call the formation
Yes. More awful second half, but the first half wasn't good either. I said so at the time.

Regarding midfield, you are probably right. I'm not sure how much our wingers came back and our full backs were pinned back so we seemed very narrow in the middle. At the end of the day I guess we didn't match their closing down. We gave them space and had they allowed us the same we probably would have won. But they closed us down so quickly and we didn't have an answer. Just aimless clearances.

And just when I thought the break would help us due to a poor performance and injuries, we arrange another match. Hey ho.