Super Freddie- our saviour

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Super Freddie- our saviour

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:48 am

Someone at EADT wants to remind us that we have a fit, quality striker at PR .... the Mike-maligned Freddie Sears!

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/north-sta ... -1-6889087

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Super Freddie- our saviour

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:06 pm

Did type out a few words regarding Lamberts comments about “no recognised striker” then the granddaughter deleted it all. She knows stuff!

But the fact is...... and it is a fact because there is evidence, he can score some very decent goals from some difficult positions.

Problem is, he misses the same amount, (if not more) easier chances. But all strikers do except Mo Salah!! Even George Best missed a couple sitters at Easter Road in the 80s.

Lamberts comments yesterday in that particular area were terrible. Play him through the middle and he’ll finish top scorer, especially witn that midfield slotting through some decent balls.

To the Freddie doomsdayers....... bright side ——-> he’s not Tampon Pishflapskin

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:11 pm

Sorry but he's cack, one goal changes nothing, this is a striker who went over 30 games without scoring not once but twice and even if we use the excuse he was out of position it doesn't change the fact his shooting is powder puff , his tackling and crossing are sh*te and he just fails to get into goalscoring positions anywhere near as often as he should. Lambert was right, we had no recognised striker.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:30 pm

Well, I cannot argue with that. That'd be like you coming on a Hibs forum and telling me who's good and no good......., you see waaaaay more than me. I just really like how, on his day, he has the ability to finish not so clear cut chances, a bit like a Robbie Fowler. Especially three of those five goals just prior to his knee injury.
If he leaves, I'd wager the garden shed that he'll start scoring regularly. Seems to be the story with Ipswich Town past 10 years........, LEAVE, and your goal tally rises. No idea who's fault that is.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:21 pm

I’m probably too easy-going with Freddie (maybe to balance out Mike’s venom) , but I didn’t think those two first half chances he missed were easy. Did well to outrun and hold off the defender for the first chance. Thought it was good goal-keeping more than anything. The second chance - a sharp chance where all he could do was poke it goalward with the the GK in directly in front. Would have been lucky to squeeze that one in.

On the other hand .... not sure I’d want him to be our lone striker for any length of time. Better option than Judge, though.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:09 pm

Venom!!!! How dare you :lol: :lol:

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:22 pm

My issue with Freddie is he is not aware of what's going on around him. How many times has he shot when simple lay off is on? Even the goal he scored which was great finish but there was a simple layoff to his left for an easy goal

Ok we know strikers can be greedy but like been mentioned his scoring record is pitiful. I bet more people would forgive and like him if he just lays off the ball when an easier option is on. If he had missed on Saturday i wouldn't of liked to to hold Mike back from his intense Poison Venom :wink:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:20 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:22 pm
My issue with Freddie is he is not aware of what's going on around him. How many times has he shot when simple lay off is on? Even the goal he scored which was great finish but there was a simple layoff to his left for an easy goal.
Exactly! I've seen him do that on numerous occasions.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:31 pm

The problem is that he is a likeable guy, he's just a very limited Footballer.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:36 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:20 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
My issue with Freddie is he is not aware of what's going on around him. How many times has he shot when simple lay off is on? Even the goal he scored which was great finish but there was a simple layoff to his left for an easy goal.
Yep, but it never pans out as clear as this does it? It looks "simple", but is it? Then the player with the shot after the "simple lay-off" skies it...., Freddie (or ANY striker) is to blame for not having a shot. Sometimes its never so cut n dry. In fact, forget "sometimes", its NEVER as cut n dry in pro football.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:49 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:36 pm
number 9 wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:20 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
Yep, but it never pans out as clear as this does it? It looks "simple", but is it? Then the player with the shot after the "simple lay-off" skies it...., Freddie (or ANY striker) is to blame for not having a shot. Sometimes its never so cut n dry. In fact, forget "sometimes", its NEVER as cut n dry in pro football.
Seriously Marko, watch him. If any player skies then sure blast him, but when you try to score from acute angles and miss like he has, then blast Sears

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:41 pm

Freddie hardly ever looks up, so he wouldn't even know if someone was open for a tap in.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:32 pm

I don't know what people expect. Sears is a low name forward in a third tier team, we don't possess Gerd Muller or anything. Contributes and scores with occasional frequency but rarely seems to have the players around him to really show any true potential. Who else on the inactive roster in terms of injury up front. Jackson, Norwood, in defense I don't get to see all that goes on like some others.

Sears could never be labeled prolific but that's what you'd expect from players of that nature. Murphy did well a year or two back albeit for one season but was sold on, players like Stewart, Bent and say Kuqi although in recent time are a thing of the past but could be relied upon to contribute regularly. Point being we haven't possessed a true forward that could get say twenty goals at least in terms of successive seasons since the aforementioned names. Case in point the team has fallen away such as it has or hasn't been able to find its once previous status.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:14 pm

saint jude wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:32 pm
I don't know what people expect. Sears is a low name forward in a third tier team, we don't possess Gerd Muller or anything. Contributes and scores with occasional frequency but rarely seems to have the players around him to really show any true potential. Who else on the inactive roster in terms of injury up front. Jackson, Norwood, in defense I don't get to see all that goes on like some others.

Sears could never be labeled prolific but that's what you'd expect from players of that nature. Murphy did well a year or two back albeit for one season but was sold on, players like Stewart, Bent and say Kuqi although in recent time are a thing of the past but could be relied upon to contribute regularly. Point being we haven't possessed a true forward that could get say twenty goals at least in terms of successive seasons since the aforementioned names. Case in point the team has fallen away such as it has or hasn't been able to find its once previous status.
Read that, squinted, reread and squinted again. Freddie was the same in the championship so not fully understanding why are mentioning prolific and third tier. I don't think anybody is saying or suggesting Freddie should be prolific.

For me can be first tier, third tier or Sunday league player you still should know what's around you. Point blank Sears does not look around or know what's happening around him, or just ignores what's going on

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:38 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:14 pm
saint jude wrote:

Read that, squinted, reread and squinted again. Freddie was the same in the championship so not fully understanding why are mentioning prolific and third tier. I don't think anybody is saying or suggesting Freddie should be prolific.

For me can be first tier, third tier or Sunday league player you still should know what's around you. Point blank Sears does not look around or know what's happening around him, or just ignores what's going on
I've said the same about most of our team for some time. It's one of the reasons why we can't cope when closed down, we have no awareness of where our team-mates are. If we had that awareness of where others are on the pitch, we wouldn't get caught offside, and we'd play one touch football.

In fairness to Saint, if he had that vision he (like many of our squad) would be playing at a higher level; I think that's the point he was making.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:46 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:38 pm
we have no awareness of where our team-mates are. If we had that awareness of where others are on the pitch, we wouldn't get caught offside, and we'd play one touch football.
If ANY of that is true, then Paul Lambert can finally sleep at night. Because none of it would be his fault, other than allowing players who haven't got a feckin clue what they're doing play football.

Do you watch Ipswich Town thinking that Nolan, Edwards, Huws etc etc have no awareness of where each other are? You must watch ITFC like you're watching the Under 11's? That actually answers the questiion as to why you think they'll lose a lot. Fair enough though. If that is how you are perceiving it all.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:27 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:38 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:14 pm
saint jude wrote:

I've said the same about most of our team for some time. It's one of the reasons why we can't cope when closed down, we have no awareness of where our team-mates are. If we had that awareness of where others are on the pitch, we wouldn't get caught offside, and we'd play one touch football.

In fairness to Saint, if he had that vision he (like many of our squad) would be playing at a higher level; I think that's the point he was making.

To be fair Andy that's a different topic and not one i was suggesting. We could all say if we had better keeper, better defenders and attackers. If this was the case we would be in much better position. Better players do pass better, quicker on the ball etc, etc, etc.

All i am saying and i believe others are that Freddie Sears does not help his course, or Ipswich Town's by pure fact he seems unaware of better options than trying to score from almost impossible positions when better placed players are on

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:33 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:46 pm

If ANY of that is true, then Paul Lambert can finally sleep at night. Because none of it would be his fault, other than allowing players who haven't got a feckin clue what they're doing play football.

Do you watch Ipswich Town thinking that Nolan, Edwards, Huws etc etc have no awareness of where each other are? You must watch ITFC like you're watching the Under 11's? That actually answers the questiion as to why you think they'll lose a lot. Fair enough though. If that is how you are perceiving it all.
I think this season has seen an improvement which is why it's been better to watch. I think actually there are 3 key skills needed to play well when being closed down. They are:
1. Awareness of tram mates before receiving the ball.
2. A good first touch.
3. Team mates moving into space nearby.

The most improved of these thus season is 3. It's why we have seen less hoofing although it has been evident when under pressure. To revert to the Skuse argument, he wasn't bad at 1 or 2. But 3? Never. That's why when he was playing we hoofed it from the back. I'd watch Chambers on the ball. He'd look up and there would be no options.

Much improved this season. The midfield by and large are moving into space. And if maybe they don't see the pass they take players on.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:49 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:33 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:46 pm

I think this season has seen an improvement which is why it's been better to watch. I think actually there are 3 key skills needed to play well when being closed down. They are:
1. Awareness of tram mates before receiving the ball.
2. A good first touch.
3. Team mates moving into space nearby.

The most improved of these thus season is 3. It's why we have seen less hoofing although it has been evident when under pressure. To revert to the Skuse argument, he wasn't bad at 1 or 2. But 3? Never. That's why when he was playing we hoofed it from the back. I'd watch Chambers on the ball. He'd look up and there would be no options.

Much improved this season. The midfield by and large are moving into space. And if maybe they don't see the pass they take players on.
It’s easy to draw comparisons between this season and last with our good start, but I’m feeling more optimistic because we’re creating better chances from midfield and taking the game more to the opposition. And we’re tucking away chances, ironically
without the strikers scoring.
Are we dominating games? I’d say no. And our defence has been put under more pressure without a Skuse or a Downes there - but they’ve done well so far coping.

Early days, but it’s more enjoyable , even with periods where we’re under the cosh and, frankly, not playing that well. But the whole team seems like they’re working hard more as a unit to deal with that.
One loss and they’ll be moans and cries for players/system changes, but I think we should stick with it as best we can. And, sorry Cole, but I prefer Dozzell there who wants the ball and wants to spark something going forward rather than Skuse being an extra defender.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:12 pm

The defence may have been put under mire pressure but with Dozzell in front of them they have an outlet when in possession.

I too am more optimistic....honestly! As you say we don't have to dominate, we just have to create (and take) chances. I no longer feel thst i can't see where a goal is coming from. And that is largely due to the greater and quicker movement, and getting mire players forward.

There will come a match when wd geg csught out at the back because we have pushed up. But it's more entertaining.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:16 pm

Back to Super Super Freddie...all S&J and myself are saying is Super Super Freddie isn't aware of his surroundings. Surely that is a basic skill of a professional footballer or do the likes of Gerd Muller only attain those skills? When I played in the Sunday football league I would call the name of the player I was passing to and 9 out of 10 times the ball would land at or near their feet! I'm not kidding! I also had peripheral vision and I always knew if I had a player open next to me. These are basic skills really...but I will say I see the headless chicken stuff even at the Prem level. How many times have we seen crosses into an empty box??

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:23 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:12 pm
The defence may have been put under mire pressure but with Dozzell in front of them they have an outlet when in possession.

I too am more optimistic....honestly! As you say we don't have to dominate, we just have to create (and take) chances. I no longer feel thst i can't see where a goal is coming from. And that is largely due to the greater and quicker movement, and getting mire players forward.

There will come a match when wd geg csught out at the back because we have pushed up. But it's more entertaining.
Andy, are you hitting the wine early.... you’re spelling is getting a bit Hallamesque?
I’m a h alf a bottle in and a couple of cans in already myself.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:38 pm

Just on my first glass of wine. Curry cooking. Beer in the fridge ready.
Whisky on hand if required.....But won't be needed. 4-0 Ipswich. Sears hat trick.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:46 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:38 pm
4-0 Ipswich. Sears hat trick.
:lol: Everybody ......, print this off and frame it!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:48 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:16 pm
9 out of 10 times
Really 9? Not 6? And 4 times in a hedge?

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:59 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:46 pm
Andym wrote:
But we all would love this to happen....

Honestly really hope and love Ipswich to win, and if Freddie scores the winning goal let alone a hat trick.. Bravo Super Freddie

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:01 pm

Seriously, if Doncsster play nice open football that will suit us too.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:28 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:46 pm
Andym wrote:
He's lost it, pissed even :lol: