Lincoln City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we bounce back?

Imps Win
58%
Town Win
17%
Draw
25%

Total votes: 12

Ando

Re: Lincoln City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ando » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:38 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:22 am
It's not a good period in ITFC history when they are beaten by f**king Doncaster Rovers and Lincoln f**king City in the same week.
Agree, but here lies the fundamental issue with a lot of fans. We are in L1 because we are a L1 side with L1 players and the name Ipswich Town with its past history and decent support does not give the club any divine right to think it can go out and roll teams over as many fans seem to think.

I am not saying we have to accept being in L1 by any stretch of the imagination but we do have to be realistic, like many of the smaller clubs in this league do.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:55 am

Ando wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:28 am
I still think he has felt the contact as you point out Tang at the point the byline approaches and he has gone to ground. Saying that Toto should be aware of the situation and has made a poor decision.

When asked about the pen PL referred to the tackle on Bishop therefore by avoiding the direct questions I think he will be frustrated with Toto. I suppose We will find out Tuesday when the team is announced. I don’t like singling players out but that’s 2 pens in 2 games so keeping in line with owning the shirt policy, I don’t think there can be too many complaints if he is replaced.

If replaced who would it be Woolfy or McGuiness ?
I supported Lambert’s decision to stick with Toto for this game. Toto had earned the right to keep his place after one bad game and, also, to make amends. However, it’s another massive error IMO. 2 pens in 2 games... and they were avoidable.... and prior to those pens Toto also got turned and out-paced on both occasions. Also, this playing from the back doesn’t suit Toto. It was noticeable that there was a lot of Holy to Toto passing and Lincoln were very comfortable for him to have the ball. I’m sure there was a reason for that. I think it would be reasonable man-management for Lambert to put his arm around Toto and say he needs to work on parts of his game although he’s done really, really well - but the shirt goes to Woolfy for the time being. Toto’s great as a barn-storming CB where he only has to head, clear, charge down, etc, but there’s too many errors.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:56 am

Divine rights have got absolutely fk all to do with it. Thats a phrase that some loser tw*t invented and it’s stuck. Means nothing. Absolutely nothing and its nothing to do with ITFCs history either. Brighton, Watford, Bournemouth, Huddersfield ..... the list goes n and on, have NO history and, (if you want) “have no divine right” bla bla bla..... But they’ve all done it, overtook Ipswich Town by a country mile.

But listen....... that’s NOT my point. My point, and my anger is, DONT tell the fans it’s brilliant and your proud, Lambert. It was sh*t. Did he use the divine right thing because I turned it off.

SMH

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:15 am

Ando wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:38 am
marko69 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:22 am
It's not a good period in ITFC history when they are beaten by f**king Doncaster Rovers and Lincoln f**king City in the same week.
Agree, but here lies the fundamental issue with a lot of fans. We are in L1 because we are a L1 side with L1 players and the name Ipswich Town with its past history and decent support does not give the club any divine right to think it can go out and roll teams over as many fans seem to think.

I am not saying we have to accept being in L1 by any stretch of the imagination but we do have to be realistic, like many of the smaller clubs in this league do.
Here’s the thing, Ando, how far can we keep on sliding before we’re allowed to have that bit of swagger and confidence to believe we should win? We’re not a Championship club anymore and when I hear “ we lost to a good side” it feels like excuses used when we’re in the Championship. No, there’s no divine right to beat sides and we’ve got to earn the right to win. But 3-4 seasons ago Lincoln were 3 divisions below us, yet now we’re going into a game with them thinking a point would be good.
Overconfidence and being unrealistic is one thing, but we have to have that confidence and swagger as part of our game. And I don’t think we should accept defeats too easily.
Lambert might not feel we have the divine right to win every game but it seems he feels he has a divine right to get every referee decision in our favour.

But I do agree we shouldn’t hark back to the glory days. They’ve gone. However we are one of the bigger League 1 side with a big squad who’ve mostly been together for the last 2 seasons and we should have realistically optimistic expectations against smaller clubs.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:27 am

Decided to watch the game again and here's my faults for whatever they maybe worth

Whether its a penalty or not and for me that's soft, very soft and no i don't think it was but why do it Toto? Where was that player going? Seriously Toto has a clanger in him where he just reacts because he is quite slow. Though we can moan about the decision, certainly Toto has to look at himself. He was also easily turned in the first half and there player just dragged the ball wide also.

I thought it was a foul on Bishop but like been pointed out there was lot of play from that foul to the penalty. A point would of been great but its now these two games at home that are critical for me

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:30 am

I'm a bit surprised that some think we were sh*te yesterday, we did ok and bossed the second half, beaten only by a fuckwit ref, and all this with a plethora of injuries, almost a first team missing for one reason or another, even Ward was still clearly far from fit. For me its one of those classics where we look at the result, see we lost to an unfashionable side and deem it that we were sh*te, we weren't, we weren't great by any stretch but its not the calamity being portrayed.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:31 am

The guy wasn’t going nowhere. There was time and space to square the ball to create an opportunity to score but he was barged!! (yeah! Another one) ..... and that’s why it was a penalty.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:34 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:30 am
I'm a bit surprised that some think we were sh*te yesterday, we did ok and bossed the second half, beaten only by a fuckwit ref, and all this with a plethora of injuries, almost a first team missing for one reason or another, even Ward was still clearly far from fit. For me its one of those classics where we look at the result, see we lost to an unfashionable side and deem it that we were sh*te, we weren't, we weren't great by any stretch but its not the calamity being portrayed.
I need to stop watching highlights I think, Mike. Because they’re no doubt lowlights and the more decent stuff offered by ITFC is missed.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:41 am

marko69 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:56 am
Divine rights have got absolutely fk all to do with it. Thats a phrase that some loser tw*t invented and it’s stuck. Means nothing. Absolutely nothing and its nothing to do with ITFCs history either. Brighton, Watford, Bournemouth, Huddersfield ..... the list goes n and on, have NO history and, (if you want) “have no divine right” bla bla bla..... But they’ve all done it, overtook Ipswich Town by a country mile.

But listen....... that’s NOT my point. My point, and my anger is, DONT tell the fans it’s brilliant and your proud, Lambert. It was sh*t. Did he use the divine right thing because I turned it off.

SMH
Don't even bother to read or listen to his post game comments now as you know what he is going to say regardless of the result or performance.
Can't comment on yesterdays or any of our performances this season as haven't watched one game.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:51 am

Mike, I don’t think it’s calamitous or a season-changing game. I just don’t see where we were that dominant or, in Lambert’s words, really, really good. If dominance means far more possession then perhaps, but we didn’t create bugger all from open play.
A lot of sideways passing without little penetration. Lincoln were pretty comfortable letting us have the ball. The Bish free-kick and penalty decision aside - Lincoln worked that ball into our area really well at pace from deep and got behind Toto too easily. Fair play to them- slick counter-attacking football. A 0-0 could have been a fair result - or very attainable - but Lincoln were better IMO as they created more chances and defended better.

I’ve just seen 10 mins extended highlights (from EFL app) where they showed the Bishop foul. I’m still not sure if it was a foul. The guy comes in from the side or from the back and gets the ball and takes out Bishop as well. Pretty hard challenge where I think more often than not a foul - but not 100%.

Also, it showed the free-kick where Edwards missed his header. Ward got that free-kick by nut-megging the defender and then running into the defender. I thought that was a bit soft, too, and quite cute from Ward.. but we wouldn’t have complained if Edwards had scored.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:51 am

Marko there were defenders defending around the six yard box. Toto just saw red mist. I don't totally agree that the attacker had time and space. I know this, would of been sight harder to pass the ball to an attacker and that attacker scores from that position than them scoring from a pen.

Shame for like said a point would of been great. I do think we did ok especially second half. Two wins from next two games and all be smiling again

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:26 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:55 am
Ando wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:28 am
I still think he has felt the contact as you point out Tang at the point the byline approaches and he has gone to ground. Saying that Toto should be aware of the situation and has made a poor decision.

When asked about the pen PL referred to the tackle on Bishop therefore by avoiding the direct questions I think he will be frustrated with Toto. I suppose We will find out Tuesday when the team is announced. I don’t like singling players out but that’s 2 pens in 2 games so keeping in line with owning the shirt policy, I don’t think there can be too many complaints if he is replaced.

If replaced who would it be Woolfy or McGuiness ?
I supported Lambert’s decision to stick with Toto for this game. Toto had earned the right to keep his place after one bad game and, also, to make amends. However, it’s another massive error IMO. 2 pens in 2 games... and they were avoidable.... and prior to those pens Toto also got turned and out-paced on both occasions. Also, this playing from the back doesn’t suit Toto. It was noticeable that there was a lot of Holy to Toto passing and Lincoln were very comfortable for him to have the ball. I’m sure there was a reason for that. I think it would be reasonable man-management for Lambert to put his arm around Toto and say he needs to work on parts of his game although he’s done really, really well - but the shirt goes to Woolfy for the time being. Toto’s great as a barn-storming CB where he only has to head, clear, charge down, etc, but there’s too many errors.
Summed up perfectly imo. 👍

It’s a tactic they employed well to let the CB’s have the ball. With Woolfy we will get a little more composure and less stress on the old ticker😂.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:36 pm

Didn't create anything ? I take it everyone missed Hawkins header being cleared off the line or Edwards open goal header from 3 yards, jeeeez.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:36 pm
Didn't create anything ? I take it everyone missed Hawkins header being cleared off the line or Edwards open goal header from 3 yards, jeeeez.
They were from a corner and a free-kick. Can’t recall us creating anything from open play. The nearest was where Lankester put in a fantastic defence-splitting pass for Edwards who fluffed it.

Mind you.... maybe we’ve become spoilt and we should be grateful for two chances per game. Two chances per game in a Mick MCCarthy team was verging on decadence.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:14 pm

I don't think we should be grateful, apart form the odd game we've had more shots on target than the opposition all season, even at Donny we matched them Four apiece, this was a day where efforts on target were few and far between, still doesn't mean you are entitled to be cheated out of the game. I have just watched the penalty again and again and again and I am surprised people cannot see that the attacker actually jumps into Toto while lifting both Legs off the ground at the same time, played for it 100%

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:46 pm

Took the time to view game highlights. No audio possible but thought the decision that gave them the goal was questionable. Forward player was running out of space in the area and at best could have attempted a low cross in. Didn't seem much contact but those with clearer and prolonged viewing time accepted the referee was poor and made an error in the penalty award given.

People upset about being beaten by opposition of this nature and Doncaster with it. 10 years back I'd be inclined to concur but the time is now and we're playing at the level they're at. Lincoln are #1 position in the league let's remember and Doncaster admittedly have assembled something of a capable team. Days of going over to Continental Europe and taking on / beating stellar club sides are no more regrettably.

You got to realize we can - and will - now lose to a number of less distinguished club teams than before. Frustrating yes, but need to offer a little understanding to those around us now we've fallen into lower league.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:08 pm

Do people not read posts anymore? Jaysus H Christ. 🤦‍♂️

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:25 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:08 pm
I have just finished a bottle of red please expand 😂

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:41 pm

marko69 wrote:
https://youtu.be/cVsQLlk-T0s

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:18 pm

marko69 wrote:
Actually Marko no, I try to read as few as possible these days lol.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:06 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:41 pm
marko69 wrote:
https://youtu.be/cVsQLlk-T0s
:lol: more cowbell, 9

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:18 pm
marko69 wrote:
Actually Marko no, I try to read as few as possible these days lol.
:lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:08 pm

I just can’t see anywhere where anyone has went on about the glorious past? Yet there are a few posts informing us to “move on”.....

Feck off with that Shyte...... no one is mentioning the past.

Sunday night red, Ando? You on lockdown? Long lie in the morning ? :D

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:16 pm

The point I was trying to make is people think we are a bigger club than we are.

Yep lovely bottle whilst cooking roast beef dinner, beef done in slow cooker 😋.

What’s lock down? I’m a Civil Servant no such luck. But accept fortunate to have my job unlike many others. Worked harder over lockdown than pre COVID.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:21 pm

If Lambert wants to continue playing the passing game out of the back then bloody give Mcguiness a runout alongside Wolfie, Bench Toto, against Gills at home Tuesday will be an ideal time, He wouldn't regret it, got him from Arsenal have seen him work against us in the crap cup, and the lad looked bloody good, so get him in Lambo and stop F*****G around :D

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:51 pm

so my take on the game, having read others opinions...

1) I cannot see how we dominated most of the game. First 30 minutes we were second best, after that I thought things were pretty even. OK, we had most of the possession, but all we did with it was to pass sideways and backwards and play deep. We still do not seem to be able to cope with teams who close us down quickly, and if we cant learn to deal with that quickly its going to be a problem.

2) Sure, we created 2 good chances - Hawkins was very unlucky, Edwards was a bad miss. But Lincoln created more than double the number of clear-cut chances.

3) I'm not sure that the Bishop incident prior to the penalty was a foul - the opponent came at him from the side and took ball before man, that's not a foul in my book. Disregarding that, Lincoln still had to get the ball up from deep, and we allowed them to do so.

4) As for the penalty, well as I understand the rules it was a stonewall penalty - Toto was stupid and gave the ref no alternative.

5) Nolan was equally stupid, and with his red hair reminded me of a nasty version of Scholes. And what the hell was PL doing putting an arm around him as he was walking off - I'd have kicked f*ck out of him

6) I'm getting tired and frustrated by PL's ridiculous post match comments

7) Tuesday's game will be a real test that we need to come through - I'm worried that I'm already starting to get a sense of deja vu.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:52 pm

A couple points.

More than one person has commented on the amount of possession we have coupled with the fact that we seen unwilling or unable to provide a final pass to the strikers. Why is this? Are players not good enough, or do they lack the confidence for fear of criticism? Training, possibly?

Secondly, I am also sick & tired of Lambert's post match comments. Once again, does he lack the intelligence to realise what rubbish be spouts, or is he concerned not to upset the players?

Come the day when everything clicks and we truly do play brilliantly, I fear the outcome could be orgasmic for PL.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:39 pm

Must admit I don't listen to PLs comments.

We were playing the ball quicker in the games we won. Not sure what's happened. I just wonder if playing Hawkins encourages us to lump long balls rather than getting men forward. Or maybe we aren't moving so well off the ball. I said earlier how we were getting man in the box. That has stopped. i just think we either get pushed back by the better teams. Bishop isn't getting on the ball so much, we just aren't picking him out.

Hopefully tomorrow will be different. It will definitely be interesting to see the team selection.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:10 pm

I’ve been a way for a few days , and so didn’t see Towns game. But from what people have said, my thoughts are that Toto is totally committed but I feels tends to dive in sometimes when he shouldn’t , meaning he gives the ref a decision to make.
The comments from the Imps manager and I think local radio up there , is that we are one placed and predictable. I personally
( rightly or wrongly), feel Lambert ( especially with all the injuries we have), must now give youth is chance and put some of these young players in. They have pace and play without fear. I’d love to see the likes of Dobra, El Mizouni,
(I know he’s out on loan), McGavin, the lad on loan from BMG, be given a chance to play part of the games.

If I’m being honest , I’m sick to the back teeth of players like Judge wandering around the park. He lacks discipline and messes up things for others players on the pitch as he takes their space as he goes in search of the ball. Nolan, by all accounts sees to be another version of Leadbitter, ( passing sideways or backwards?). The other problem we have is a lack of an out and out goalscorer. I think our injury list is yet again biting us in the bum.

Overall, time might not be on Lamberts side, and if we continue to drop points and drop out of the top six, Evans may feel the need to change things before Xmas. Time will tell I guess. But agree with many on here PL post match interviews are beginning to sound over stated and like a cracked record. I don’t tend to read or listen to them much now either.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:38 pm

I don't think PL should be too hard or hasty with Toto. It's only a couple of weeks ago that people were singing his virtues & saying how good he is.

Give him a bit longer I say.