Ipswich Town vs Gillingham FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we arrest the fall?

Town Win
57%
Gills Win
14%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 14

Tangfastic

Re: Ipswich Town vs Gillingham FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:35 pm

4 losses on the spin. I think Evans is trying to talk himself out of the sack.

TBH.... I was amazed how Evans set up his team and approached the game. If he’d really done his homework I would have thought he’d have squeezed our midfield more and put more pressure on two inexperienced CB’s. It was only in the second half they changed things. I was surprised how easy it was for us in the first half.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:31 pm

We beat Gillingham in the EFL trophy not so long back you'll remember. Didn't realize at first we'd beaten the same opposition twice at home in a matter of weeks, maybe some are (rightfully) largely apathetic towards the nature of this elimination contest. Read a moment ago they've labeled the tournament now the Papa John's Trophy, that's right a recognized pizza chain : therefore the prize that awaits us if the team can go on to win it.

I know it's all about commercial opportunity and companies wanting a hand in something but some bizarre involvements out there. Yes this competition is largely immaterial whether we're involved or not but to label it with the aforementioned title over the standard EFL Trophy can only deride the competition further. Should have waited until we're involved again in the damn thing but that could take some time and only read the story within last half-hour. Apologize if people were aware of it before but I for one wasn't.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:15 pm

saint jude wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:31 pm
We beat Gillingham in the EFL trophy not so long back you'll remember. Didn't realize at first we'd beaten the same opposition twice at home in a matter of weeks, maybe some are (rightfully) largely apathetic towards the nature of this elimination contest. Read a moment ago they've labeled the tournament now the Papa John's Trophy, that's right a recognized pizza chain : therefore the prize that awaits us if the team can go on to win it.

I know it's all about commercial opportunity and companies wanting a hand in something but some bizarre involvements out there. Yes this competition is largely immaterial whether we're involved or not but to label it with the aforementioned title over the standard EFL Trophy can only deride the competition further. Should have waited until we're involved again in the damn thing but that could take some time and only read the story within last half-hour. Apologize if people were aware of it before but I for one wasn't.
SJ, this cup has been sponsored before by Freight Rover, Sherpa Vans, Leyland, Autoglass, Auto Windscreens, LDV Vans, Johnstone’ Paint and Checkatrade.... compared to some of that lot it’s rather catchy and exotic. I wonder if a Pizza delivery company is doing good business in these times?