Kieron Dyer a Town manager only the making ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Kieron Dyer a Town manager only the making ?

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:31 pm

Or just a romantic dream ?

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/mike-bacon ... -1-6905410

Not sure what to think tbh . I know he’s got his via bing badges ( according to the article), and yes he “ bleeds Blue”, but does he really have the focus, mentality, or drive to manager a Club such as ITFC?

What experience does he have other than coaching kids football? I know he left the Club to “broaden his football horizons “. Strangely enough I’d spoken to a family member of his only last month ( who lives next door to my uncle and KD is often at that address visiting) I asked what’s KD doing these days as if not heard anything about his football development since he’d left the Club 18 months ago. The neighbour told me KD had left Toen because didn’t want to be coaching the kids teams but wanted to be involved in senior football. I asked where was he then ( thinking he’d be at another Club). The reply was simply ,” oh he’s not doing anything really “. He is involved in an elite car sales company on the edge of town and has been for many years. But nothing in football. Then last week I read he’s off to do the celebrity SAS programme , but then pulls out and is announced as the U23’s coach .

For me, I acknowledge he was once a good footballer. But his record / attitude in the game is questionable. But we all grow up eventually and he seems to have changed in that respect , but is he really big club managerial materials? If so what’s that based on because his CV looks a bit thin to me. Had he actually been involved to a higher than kids level at another Club for the last 18 months I’d have thought, yes ok, you’re doing your apprenticeship. But I’m just not convinced of him .

What do others feel about his future managerial prospects with Town? Cheers guys .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Kieron Dyer a Town manager only the making ?

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:39 pm

As a manager I wouldn't touch him with a barge pole tbh.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:39 pm

Not knowing him personally, it's a bit difficult to draw proper conclusions.

But I dare say that age has improved his outlook and attitude, and it may well be that being out of football for a time has honed other skills necessary for successful football club management.

I don't think for one moment that he would be any worse than, say, Roy Keane or Paul Hurst or maybe even PL

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:45 pm

Imo it would be a risk. I feel he would need to prove himself elsewhere before he was given the opportunity to manage ITFC,
I struggle to understand this thing about having ex-players as a manager. At the moment it is Dyer, previously Butcher, Kuqi have also been mentioned.
I have no doubt that KD would love the opportunity to manage ITFC and maybe in the future it might happen but for me he needs to get experience first.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:33 pm

Remember to this day Dyer in tears after the last game of what would have been 1998/99 season after the team lost out on an automatic promotion place. Results didn't go our way and think Bradford City got second place instead of us. Things like that you can recall.

Dyer switched to Newcastle that summer and missed out on the two year harvest under Burley that saw us win the play-off rounds / Wembley win and the subsequent great season thereafter and fifth place. In hindsight you'd imagine he'd wish he had stayed on but can't fault the player wanting a new challenge after the disappointments of before.

Manager here ? Maybe one day but it's far too premature to contemplate the idea right now. Hasn't got the necessary experience and always a bit skeptical about ex-players trying their hand at management with clubs they were once part of. Invariably wherever you find it, it doesn't work.

The team's in a very good position now and Lambert has only been here a relatively short time. Say in two years the club still finds itself in League One and promotion doesn't occur then give Dyer the chance if still available. It's all hypothetical, so many if's and maybe's but this proposal is for a future date just can't see it as a viable alternative at present time.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:10 pm

I don't think so, and I'm sure he won't be considered until he's done a job at lower levels. He's young and new to it, he needs to build a thick skin and some confidence in his abilities if he truly wants to be a good manager. Being a good player means very very little other than it might get you a shoe in the door, its has little affect on how good a manager you'd be.

Nothing against him, I think he's a great bloke, but do I think he'd be assertive enough at the moment and would demand respect? No chance. Do I think he has the passion to put in the hours of study and hard work? Probably not.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:23 pm

As the article states, it's a possibility 3 or 4 years from now. Why not? If Dyer is still involved with the U23s and we are still in League 1, he may be the only qualified and affordable option available. Of course I hope that's not the case and we get promoted this season, but without pissing off anyone..."We have no god given right." :roll:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:38 pm

I think Chambers is far more likely

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:07 pm

Chambers fits the bill more in terms of leadership abilities and it seems like he’s always had ambitions for management. I’m not sure about Dyer. Seems since he’s retired he’s done bits n pieces without sticking around long enough anywhere. If he wants to be a manager then hopefully he’ll take this opportunity to get his head down and do the day to day responsibilities within the club for a period of time.

Back to Chambers.... ii he wants to be a manager here then I’d prefer he’d go elsewhere and learn the ropes there first. A new environment could do him good and if he’s a success then he’d be a candidate. Anyway, we’ve got four more years of Lambert and if we’re in the top six at Christmas then he’s likely to get a contract extension.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:38 pm
Good shout Mikey.... but does he or Skuse have their Coaching badges ?

Ps tang, I’m not convinced we will have four more years of PL. Evans is no mug where money snd contracts are concerned.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:39 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:33 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Ps tang, I’m not convinced we will have four more years of PL. Evans is no mug where money snd contracts are concerned.
I don’t either. Tongue in cheek.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:43 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:39 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:33 pm
Bluemike wrote:

I don’t either. Tongue in cheek.
:lol: soz being a bit slow there!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:05 am

Just seen the subject heading but can’t really take it seriously, without being unkind I just don’t see KD as having all the credentials to become a Football Club Manager anytime soon.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:53 am

Changing lanes...I think we should hire a female manager. Big bosoms, nice bum, fair face. Of course a genius footballing mind...American influenced and accent. Well I must say...that would probably get a rise out of Barmy Billy! :D