Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

We gonna make it to the 2nd Round?

Ipswich Win
40%
Pompey Win
50%
Draw
10%

Total votes: 10

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:09 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:06 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:00 pm
Sod the Bonfire lol
Its fine , ive put peppa on to save the evening!
On the bonfire? Bet that smells great. Think I’ll go get a bacon sandwich.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:11 pm

Portsmouth on the front foot now

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:12 pm

:lol:
marko69 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:09 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Sod the Bonfire lol

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:14 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:09 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Sod the Bonfire lol
Oh yes. Lovely bit of crackling. :lol:

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:17 pm

Mcguinness for 19 looks class. Got a great future i think

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:32 pm

Mike Jones will be expecting a call later.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:32 pm

Yet another f**king Ref c*ck up, offside but goal stands, absolutely f**king relentless this sh*t

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:33 pm

Can't get game action or radio commentary just making do with updates. Portsmouth appear more dangerous now and likely to score ? Got to be finalized on the day - don't agree with it - but f*ck the rules and regulations. sh*t, they've scored - just seen update and they're back ahead ?

Guess it was coming. Disappointed and it's going to be tough to get back in it once more but at least we made a fight of it this time although even that may be incorrect. Still hope we can do this but really..

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:38 pm

saint jude wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:33 pm
Can't get game action or radio commentary just making do with updates. Portsmouth appear more dangerous now and likely to score ? Got to be finalized on the day - don't agree with it - but f*ck the rules and regulations. sh*t, they've scored - just seen update and they're back ahead ?

Guess it was coming. Disappointed and it's going to be tough to get back in it once more but at least we made a fight of it this time although even that may be incorrect. Still hope we can do this but really..
3 games in a fow the refs let us down

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:41 pm

f**king refs have cost us yet again. I think we are ear marked by refs . Tossas !

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:43 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:41 pm
f**king refs have cost us yet again. I think we are ear marked by refs . Tossas !
You can’t make it up can you😡

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:44 pm

f*ck me, poor again from the officials, Foul on Hawkins pen, red card for their sub and clearly off side for the 3rd goal.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:47 pm

Is VAR used in FA Cup games? The game wasn't on ESPN+ so I didn't get to see the match. Anyway, good to see Norwood get a goal. Disappointing to get knocked out, but it sounds like we gave it a go. Fewer cup games should help with injuries in the long run. COYB!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:49 pm

And that commenter, what is he on?

The Ref kept smiling, patting players on the back, Lovely, nodding his head. why did he give them a drop ball and not allow it contested by telling us to go back, go back? It's crazy.
3 major decisions go against us again.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:49 pm

Shame we couldn't have maintained our 2nd half performance into extra time, as up until then we had them on the ropes. However, despite their superiority in extra time, only poor refereeing gave them the win. So frustrating all these poor decisions!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:55 pm

I haven't seen no ref f*ck-ups or poor decisions, judgment will have to wait until able to see actual game coverage but seems the match officials have got an issue with us about something. It's an overused word but disappointed to have been beaten. Portsmouth maybe deserve it, they've beaten us again, horrible curse team for us in the competition but stats indicate they were always more likely winners after we leveled it.

Last run in the competition you got to back to 1993, just to emphasize the time passed, we don't do these sort of things anymore. Winners probably at home to Basildon or Weston-Super-Mare zoo keepers in the second round. Could have been us but been undone once again by a number of factors. Catch up with game report and further analysis when more information comes in.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:10 pm

Only saw from 80 minutes onwards so I can't comment....except: I know you shouldn't argue, and we've been saying we get sh*t refs because no one wants to do it. But I hate to see anyone (Norwood today ) get a card for telling the ref he was wrong when it was the truth.

In extra time there was only going to be one winner. I imagine most of us aren't too bothered about going out of the cup, it's the way it happened that is frustrating. The positive is we can make all those changes and still go close to beating what I think was pretty well a full strength opposition.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:41 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:10 pm
Only saw from 80 minutes onwards so I can't comment....except: I know you shouldn't argue, and we've been saying we get sh*t refs because no one wants to do it. But I hate to see anyone (Norwood today ) get a card for telling the ref he was wrong when it was the truth.

In extra time there was only going to be one winner. I imagine most of us aren't too bothered about going out of the cup, it's the way it happened that is frustrating. The positive is we can make all those changes and still go close to beating what I think was pretty well a full strength opposition.
Agree Andy, we were second best in extra time and in the end with no revenue from cup games it does the result really matter?

For me it was the performance that was more important. First half hour we were terrible, Pompey set up well and played on the counter and deserved their two goals, however encouragingly we turned it around with a goal against the run of play.

I think we we will be ok this season if we continue as we are, we are better than last year even with injuries.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:57 pm

Ando wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:41 pm
Andym wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:10 pm

Agree Andy, we were second best in extra time and in the end with no revenue from cup games it does the result really matter?

For me it was the performance that was more important. First half hour we were terrible, Pompey set up well and played on the counter and deserved their two goals, however encouragingly we turned it around with a goal against the run of play.

I think we we will be ok this season if we continue as we are, we are better than last year even with injuries.
Agree Ando in most part, but still needing that luck and good officials. Can say lately we lost 4 points to bad officiation and now this Cup Game to same reason, poor officials

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:52 pm

I’ve said the same Shed. There seems to be this feeling amongst the coaches that keeping possession and moving the ball out from defence has to be done a snails pace. We don’t even have to do the opposite and do it at break neck pace....just a CHANGE of pace in our game could probably do wonders for our scoring chances.

On the plus side , I was slightly encouraged by Norwood showing second half. Thought he looked reasonably up for it give the amount of time he’s been out.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:54 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:43 pm
hallamblue wrote:
It’s beginning to be a sick joke now isn’t it.

Question I have is , what’s happened to LINESMEN in the game ( don’t give a shyte what the modern terminology for them is), just what the hell has happened to these officials . Yo7 never seem them flag anymore. WHY??

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:17 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:54 pm
bluejacko wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:43 pm
hallamblue wrote:
It’s beginning to be a sick joke now isn’t it.

Question I have is , what’s happened to LINESMEN in the game ( don’t give a shyte what the modern terminology for them is), just what the hell has happened to these officials . Yo7 never seem them flag anymore. WHY??
In the good old days, the moment the ball was goalbound and the bloje was stood on the goal line, as a linesman you'd flag straight away. Now they have to wait in case they touch the bloody ball....which in some cases means trying to keep track in your head who was inside, who was off. It's another change in the rules which has been for the worse.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:12 am

What happened in injury time? We were dominated, yeah poor off side decision but it looked like we couldn't be bothered towards the end.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:13 am

Magicmark wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:12 am
What happened in extra time? We were dominated, yeah poor off side decision but it looked like we couldn't be bothered towards the end.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:19 am

Crap refs aside.... Pompey probably were the better side over 120 minutes. They were far better in the first half - we were the better side in the second half... but Pompey were well on top in ET as we ran out of steam. That’s irrespective of major decisions which went against us .... again.

This playing from the back is fine if there’s some speed and purpose to it, but it’s just balls back and forth across the back line and then usually punted up field to no-one. Just slow and ponderous. Teams aren’t bothering to press the back four and happy to let the defenders have the ball as they know we’ll give it back to them. Also, at times we’d intercept the ball in midfield, but instead of striding forward or looking for a quick forward pass, we check and it’s passed back to the defence. It’s when we inject some pace into things we look a different side. That’s something we need to work on. We need to do this right from the start, instead of going 1 or 2 goals behind first.

I thought Brett McGavin looked good in the second half. Maybe he will jump ahead of Huws to start some games as replacement for Dozzell.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:14 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:48 pm
Is Huws Skuse in disguise when it comes to scoring? 😂
Huws, and Judge also.

It's amazing how many midfielders we have that have no attacking mentality or ability

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:36 am

so, having read and digested the comments above, just a few thoughts from me:

1) we were awful first half, AGAIN. I don't know what PL is doing for the pre-match build up, but clearly it's not working

2) although we were much better second half, Pompey were the better team over 120 minutes, and deserved the win

3) I think PL making 9 changes for this game shows just what a crap manager that stupid FRISP PL is. Pompey play in the same league as us, they have the same number of games to play, yet their manager clearly places more importance on a settled team and therefore achieves better consistency

4) our main game plan seems to be to slow it down as much as possible by playing the ball around in defence. Trouble with that is that the players get into that mindset and then have difficulty picking up speed and attacking direction

5) I don't think that Norwood made any difference to us second half - the difference was that the team were moving the ball quicker and creating more chances. Poor Hawkins got nothing in the first half. I concede, though, that Norwood took his goal very well

6} Yes, I know we should have had a penalty, I know they should have had a man sent off, I know their winning goal was offside, and I know that we've been the victims of some very poor decisions by the officials (linesmen as well as referees) in the last few games. However, it's easy to blame our misfortune on that - fact is you make your own luck in this world and the way we have gone about our business lately does not merit luck.

7) As a football fan, I have to say Thank God for Sky and BT Sport - at least I get to watch some proper football instead of relying solely on the dross that ITFC serves up

8) I think the last few games have shown us exactly where we are as a club - average at best and not playing very good football for a lot of the time. Unfortunately, I can't see anything changing any time soon, and I still think there is something very rotten in the core of the club. Therefore, I expect to be stuck in this awful league for a few seasons yet

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:40 am

I agree with much of that Gary except for number 6, yes usually you get the luck you deserve and you make your own luck but it's gone beyond that the last few games with Referee's admitting they gave penalties that weren't penalties and players who score admitting it shouldn't have stood, it's been a torrid run of awful decisions which we haven't deserved at all, at Sunderland we made our own luck by dominating much of the game and yet we still got the rank bad decisions so that theory doesn't really hold up.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:07 pm

I know many disagree but I’m with Rossi on No 7, thank God for Sky, BT Sport and other Channels for the great choice of live football which even without fans has been so entertaining. We really have had some great games recently and potentially at least one more this afternoon with Wolves going to Leicester and Liverpool to Man City.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:40 am
I agree with much of that Gary except for number 6, yes usually you get the luck you deserve and you make your own luck but it's gone beyond that the last few games with Referee's admitting they gave penalties that weren't penalties and players who score admitting it shouldn't have stood, it's been a torrid run of awful decisions which we haven't deserved at all, at Sunderland we made our own luck by dominating much of the game and yet we still got the rank bad decisions so that theory doesn't really hold up.

We’ve definitely been out of luck recently Mike, but over a season there’s a high probability good and bad luck will be evened out and teams will be promoted on merit.