Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

We gonna make it to the 2nd Round?

Ipswich Win
4
40%
Pompey Win
5
50%
Draw
1
10%
 
Total votes: 10

Kerry Blue
Posts: 520
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm
Location: Listowel Co Kerry

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:24 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:19 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:40 am
I agree with much of that Gary except for number 6, yes usually you get the luck you deserve and you make your own luck but it's gone beyond that the last few games with Referee's admitting they gave penalties that weren't penalties and players who score admitting it shouldn't have stood, it's been a torrid run of awful decisions which we haven't deserved at all, at Sunderland we made our own luck by dominating much of the game and yet we still got the rank bad decisions so that theory doesn't really hold up.

We’ve definitely been out of luck recently Mike, but over a season there’s a high probability good and bad luck will be evened out and teams will be promoted on merit.
I've found out where all our good luck is about 45 miles up the road 😬👎

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22355
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:34 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:19 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:40 am
I agree with much of that Gary except for number 6, yes usually you get the luck you deserve and you make your own luck but it's gone beyond that the last few games with Referee's admitting they gave penalties that weren't penalties and players who score admitting it shouldn't have stood, it's been a torrid run of awful decisions which we haven't deserved at all, at Sunderland we made our own luck by dominating much of the game and yet we still got the rank bad decisions so that theory doesn't really hold up.

We’ve definitely been out of luck recently Mike, but over a season there’s a high probability good and bad luck will be evened out and teams will be promoted on merit.
I hope so Andy because we have loads of good decisions to come and as we are already second in the table that can hopefully only mean one thing.

tangfastic
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by tangfastic » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:40 pm

I’m with Rossi on pretty much of all that - especially number 6. We’ve been hard done by, but we’ve got to start making our own luck. For example, we could have defended the winning goal better from the free kick and not rely on Cornell making a very good save and the linesman doing his job properly thereafter.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3024
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:46 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:36 am
8) I think the last few games have shown us exactly where we are as a club - average at best and not playing very good football for a lot of the time. Unfortunately, I can't see anything changing any time soon, and I still think there is something very rotten in the core of the club. Therefore, I expect to be stuck in this awful league for a few seasons yet
I'm scratching my head after reading this part because a lot of people have been saying we're much better than last year, and a few others like Rossi have been saying we're not very good. I haven't seen many games this season, but the one's I have watched aren't very inspiring to be honest. I've seen flashes of great movement and attacking play, but those have been far and few between...at least from my perspective. I'm curious what Rossi means by "something very rotten in the core of the club"? I suppose I could guess, but I'd love to hear a comprehensive explanation.

The realization I've had this morning after reading all of the complaining about referee decisions going against us...is it's true we have to make our own luck and we shouldn't be losing games due to a few bad calls. I'm tired of hearing how poorly we've played in a half or for the whole game. Surely we've got the players to do better than that, don't we?

I don't really care about the cup game, but it's the same old story in the league. Anytime we play a team near the top of the league, we struggle. I'm hoping injuries are the main cause of our inconsistencies and we'll be able to kick on and get promoted. If we fail again, I'm afraid it's gonna become very difficult for a lot of fans to remain interested.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18374
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:31 pm

Didn't want to start a new thread, and no where to put this but I suppose it is general football chat section.....

sCunthorpe 2 Solihill Moors 3

That must be a sacking.

Maybe the name Paul and ITFC don't work in a management sense. Manager of the year at the Shrews......., career nose-dived right after his first meeting with Marcus.

This isn't a "pop at Lambo" post, but merely a "show us convincing form, Paul" post.

And 9, same with the head scratching over the divisions in opinion regarding performance.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 1966
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by rossi » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:40 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:46 pm
rossi wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:36 am
8) I think the last few games have shown us exactly where we are as a club - average at best and not playing very good football for a lot of the time. Unfortunately, I can't see anything changing any time soon, and I still think there is something very rotten in the core of the club. Therefore, I expect to be stuck in this awful league for a few seasons yet
I'm scratching my head after reading this part because a lot of people have been saying we're much better than last year, and a few others like Rossi have been saying we're not very good. I haven't seen many games this season, but the one's I have watched aren't very inspiring to be honest. I've seen flashes of great movement and attacking play, but those have been far and few between...at least from my perspective. I'm curious what Rossi means by "something very rotten in the core of the club"? I suppose I could guess, but I'd love to hear a comprehensive explanation.

The realization I've had this morning after reading all of the complaining about referee decisions going against us...is it's true we have to make our own luck and we shouldn't be losing games due to a few bad calls. I'm tired of hearing how poorly we've played in a half or for the whole game. Surely we've got the players to do better than that, don't we?

I don't really care about the cup game, but it's the same old story in the league. Anytime we play a team near the top of the league, we struggle. I'm hoping injuries are the main cause of our inconsistencies and we'll be able to kick on and get promoted. If we fail again, I'm afraid it's gonna become very difficult for a lot of fans to remain interested.
It's a bit difficult to explain, and more down to a gut feeling.

There's the question of why we have so many long term injuries. And I'm still not convinced about the motives and intentions of ME. But I know one thing for sure, if I was paying the wages of a largish squad whom many believe to be among the strongest in the league, and then was to witness the utter dross we play time and time again, I'd have got rid of this manager long ago. And yet we just jog on.

As I said, it's just a gut feeling I have

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22355
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:35 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:40 pm
I’m with Rossi on pretty much of all that - especially number 6. We’ve been hard done by, but we’ve got to start making our own luck. For example, we could have defended the winning goal better from the free kick and not rely on Cornell making a very good save and the linesman doing his job properly thereafter.
we will have to agree to disagree cus for me that's nonsense and very harsh. I would like to know what Sunderland did against us that was so wonderful to warrant their good fortune in getting the help of a cheating Ref. That was a very good performance by us that gets pretty much zero recognition other than it's our fault for getting relegated in the first place.

tangfastic
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by tangfastic » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:50 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:46 pm
rossi wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:36 am
8) I think the last few games have shown us exactly where we are as a club - average at best and not playing very good football for a lot of the time. Unfortunately, I can't see anything changing any time soon, and I still think there is something very rotten in the core of the club. Therefore, I expect to be stuck in this awful league for a few seasons yet
I'm scratching my head after reading this part because a lot of people have been saying we're much better than last year, and a few others like Rossi have been saying we're not very good. I haven't seen many games this season, but the one's I have watched aren't very inspiring to be honest. I've seen flashes of great movement and attacking play, but those have been far and few between...at least from my perspective. I'm curious what Rossi means by "something very rotten in the core of the club"? I suppose I could guess, but I'd love to hear a comprehensive explanation.

The realization I've had this morning after reading all of the complaining about referee decisions going against us...is it's true we have to make our own luck and we shouldn't be losing games due to a few bad calls. I'm tired of hearing how poorly we've played in a half or for the whole game. Surely we've got the players to do better than that, don't we?

I don't really care about the cup game, but it's the same old story in the league. Anytime we play a team near the top of the league, we struggle. I'm hoping injuries are the main cause of our inconsistencies and we'll be able to kick on and get promoted. If we fail again, I'm afraid it's gonna become very difficult for a lot of fans to remain interested.
TBF, 9, I feel a bit more optimistic than last year. Also, it doesn’t feel right to moan when we’re second or third in the league.
This season there does seem more of a plan to play better football and we do in certain stages of the game - but more in fits and starts. And, also, we’ve got more players scoring - Edwards, Bishop, Nolan - than last season.

But we still look clueless at times and it has to take a moment of inspiration (maybe Edwards or Bishop) or the opposition to slip up or a bit of luck to get us going. It’s bloody frustrating the last 3 games because we’ve started these games so poorly. Teams have worked us out. The vast majority of this squad have been together for 2 years and yet, at times, look like strangers. Teams like MK Dons and Crewe with less resources and lesser regarded players have passed us of the pitch. They look better coached and better drilled. How long does it take for a side to gel and look like a well-oiled team?
But if you listen to Lambert he only talks about how well we’re playing.... and yet we’re just not playing well for large parts of the game. I hope he doesn’t believe that as there’s definite improvements we need and we’ve got last season as a reminder of how it fell apart.

Ando
Posts: 1285
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 am
Location: Out and about

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by Ando » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:50 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:36 am
so, having read and digested the comments above, just a few thoughts from me:

5) I don't think that Norwood made any difference to us second half - the difference was that the team were moving the ball quicker and creating more chances. Poor Hawkins got nothing in the first half. I concede, though, that Norwood took his goal very well

Agree we were woeful first half, Nolan’s ball came out of the blue as we really never threatened enough because we could not pass through them and here is why.

When we gained possession they sat their forwards generally 5 yards inside their own half and pressed well at certain times, also because Hawkins can not run in behind, therefore their back four can take a higher line thus condensing the space even further. First half’s are usually tighter affairs because the players are fresh. Then factor in none of our midfield 3 could beat a player and all looked to show for the ball we get bogged down. The only exception was when Nolan scored and we played back to front.

I accept we did look sharper before Norwood came on but they were not as disciplined as they were first half and as you say we started to pass the ball quicker. But when Norwood came on he started to turn the defence and run the channels meaning defenders dropped off slightly giving more space to play. When they did stay high we could play into the channels hence how Norwoods goal came about, again back to front. These types of goals often come from patient possession football. It can be frustrating at times but that’s the tactics. I do feel we can overplay and we are not quick enough when we win the ball back

Therefore Norwood does make a huge difference and the same can be said for Jackson. When all fit and firing Norwood is our best striker without question imo.

I do feel for Hawkins because we don’t get any players around him quickly enough when it’s lumped up to him and with two CB’s one can always drop off to pick up the second ball.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18374
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:53 pm

"Making your own luck" is just another bollocks saying that Harvey Two-Face invented. How the hell can Ipswich Town determine the ruling of an incompetent referee? Or are people meaning if ITFC take their chances and are 3-0 up, these decisions don't matter?? That is equally absolutely insane.

Referees have been "seeing things" for decades. Personally blame the three foreigner rule being scrapped ---- > instantly made their jobs harder. Every player jumped on that continental diving bandwagon. But that is for another thread. Fact of the matter is, IF making your own luck is true, then Ipswich were indeed playing well and making good moves (and on the front foot, "making their luck" if you like) when the referee decided to step in v Sunderland.

2012 Scottish Cup Final......, At 2-1, Thomson sees a foul inside the box...... was two yards outside the box. Heads down as realizing they are playing the opposing team AND the ref. Finishes 5-1.

Hard job though. That's never been brought to debate.

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 1966
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by rossi » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:35 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:40 pm
I’m with Rossi on pretty much of all that - especially number 6. We’ve been hard done by, but we’ve got to start making our own luck. For example, we could have defended the winning goal better from the free kick and not rely on Cornell making a very good save and the linesman doing his job properly thereafter.
we will have to agree to disagree cus for me that's nonsense and very harsh. I would like to know what Sunderland did against us that was so wonderful to warrant their good fortune in getting the help of a cheating Ref. That was a very good performance by us that gets pretty much zero recognition other than it's our fault for getting relegated in the first place.
sorry Mike, but I have to take issue with that.

Incompetent, definitely. But to say he cheated implies he deliberately made the wrong decision in order to disadvantage us, either through taking a bribe or through some sort of malicious devilry. I know that Liz also mentioned that maybe refs in this league have got something against us - I'm sorry but I just don't believe that to be true.

tangfastic
Posts: 3016
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by tangfastic » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:35 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:40 pm
I’m with Rossi on pretty much of all that - especially number 6. We’ve been hard done by, but we’ve got to start making our own luck. For example, we could have defended the winning goal better from the free kick and not rely on Cornell making a very good save and the linesman doing his job properly thereafter.
we will have to agree to disagree cus for me that's nonsense and very harsh. I would like to know what Sunderland did against us that was so wonderful to warrant their good fortune in getting the help of a cheating Ref. That was a very good performance by us that gets pretty much zero recognition other than it's our fault for getting relegated in the first place.
How was it a great performance when we were terrible the first half hour? And at the point when Dozzell got sent off it was even . At that point, the most likely result was a draw. Just because we’re a victim of bad decisions it doesn’t mean we automatically played better.

And the refs didn’t cheat us. They were lower standard refs who made poor decisions. They have nothing to gain by cheating us. That’s very emotive language to call them cheats - they’re just not that good. We might have to get used to that. Point is, if we defend better in our box then by the law of averages we’ll have less decisions go against us and if we are better in their final third we’ll get more decisions go our way. As for the bit about its our fault getting relegated - never said that.

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4441
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by Andym » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:27 pm

Agreed. We might feel cheated but the referees are not cheating. There is a difference.

And I think you do make your own luck. If you have 2t shots, there's a better chance of a lucky deflection than if you have 3 shots. Get men in the penalty area 20 times in a game you are more likely to get a pen than if it happens twice a match.

I've argued that we are playing better this season. And still think overall we are. But we aren't moving into space as much to get the quick passing going..

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18374
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:28 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:16 pm
As for the bit about its our fault getting relegated.......
That's the year on year after effects of a Roy Keane management.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22355
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:49 pm

If we have been cheated as many have said it can't make the Ref anything else but a cheat, how we interpret that is questionable.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22355
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:49 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:53 pm
"Making your own luck" is just another bollocks saying that Harvey Two-Face invented. How the hell can Ipswich Town determine the ruling of an incompetent referee? Or are people meaning if ITFC take their chances and are 3-0 up, these decisions don't matter?? That is equally absolutely insane.

Referees have been "seeing things" for decades. Personally blame the three foreigner rule being scrapped ---- > instantly made their jobs harder. Every player jumped on that continental diving bandwagon. But that is for another thread. Fact of the matter is, IF making your own luck is true, then Ipswich were indeed playing well and making good moves (and on the front foot, "making their luck" if you like) when the referee decided to step in v Sunderland.

2012 Scottish Cup Final......, At 2-1, Thomson sees a foul inside the box...... was two yards outside the box. Heads down as realizing they are playing the opposing team AND the ref. Finishes 5-1.

Hard job though. That's never been brought to debate.
100% this

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9025
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by saint jude » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:24 pm

Seen game highlights twice now, a third view is unnecessary. These things never tell the full picture but provides relevant insight into main talking points. First goal may well have gone off Cornell after hitting frame of goal, the second were a clear deflection that deceived the goalkeeper. Their third and ultimate victory goal shouldn't have been allowed but once a referee makes a decision they're unlikely to change their thinking. We had one or two legitimate penalty claims that came to nothing. All told the referee was lame and made a number of pivotal mistakes but it wasn't just one individual that cost us the game.

Lambert took a chance with a changed side and fielding an unrecognized name in goal, had our regular keeper been included would we have been beaten. On the basis of extra-time and our first half performance the opposition were perhaps value for their victory but losing to the same team time and again in the competition is now approaching too much. Lot of other established names i.e. former winners and finalists in recent years went also at the first stage but being quote "The most glamorous cup competition in the world" is by and large bullshit. May have had a claim to it at one time but not anymore.

You can't help but notice we concede a number of goals to set-pieces. Obviously this issue would be covered in training routines but once out on the field and any real action is underway it becomes another object lesson. A succession of incompetent stupid sh*t game officials have only compounded the situation. Not corrupt, just inept and lacking necessary game time and experience. Restricted to League One and lower levels ? That's what worries you, how long is the team going to remain there and when and if we return to second league do you really expect the standard to improve to any great extent. The team shall still be on the wrong end of poor decisions and inept 'professionalism' you can only imagine.

hallamblue
Posts: 25105
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth FC Preview & Matchday Thread - 1st Round

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:40 pm

Some good points in there Saint .

Personally I think Town give away far too many senseless free kicks in or around the edge of box. This means we are forced to defend good balls coming into the box at pace when the defence is stationary.

I also noted that Town faded away in Extra Time, we just ran out of steam physically. I’d put this down to two factors perhaps. Fringe players running out of steam,
(generally having not had much game time this season and certainly not at this level of opposition) and some regular first teamers returning from injury, who lack match fitness not having played many games.

All in all I thought it was actually a fairly even cup tie that ebbed and flowed for each side . The refs decisions were ultimately the defining monuments and not any superiority by one side over the other in my view .

Post Reply