Crawley Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread - Papa John's Trophy

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

The battle of the Towns

C-Town Win
56%
I-Town Win
44%
Penalties
No votes

Total votes: 9

arana peligrosa

Re: Crawley Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread - Papa John's Trophy

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:35 pm

Can't help but feel a bit embarrassed. It's a piece of crap trophy / competition that most won't care two figs for granted but to finish bottom of a group that contains Crawley, Gillingham, and who was the other one (not that it matters now) isn't really acceptable. Out of all domestic cup competition before end of year which leaves only the league. What excuses will there be now if we don't make it up by end of season, the stage is clear of all other distractions.

Lambert evidently was totally apathetic towards today's event as the line-up demonstrated. A number of names in the side I couldn't recognize and how often will the kids that featured out there today be utilized again for future league games. Seems it could well be a one-off for some out there I don't think they'll get another opportunity to feature in the first team now there's only one true objective left.

Would like to be back involved at league level again as soon as able, don't give a sh*t for International breaks but provides a week or two for the players to regroup and proper names to come back into the team. Say again there can't be any real excuse now not to be able to gain promotion. The players and manager require to give something back.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:43 pm

Would've been good to get this in the cabinet though, Saint.

Champions of England
FA Cup Winners
UEFA Cup Winners
Papa Johns Winners.

I mean, that'd be impressive. Could've had the usual three stars above the badge and a jalapeno.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:32 am

:lol: :lol:

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:08 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:43 pm
Would've been good to get this in the cabinet though, Saint.

Champions of England
FA Cup Winners
UEFA Cup Winners
Papa Johns Winners.

I mean, that'd be impressive. Could've had the usual three stars above the badge and a jalapeno.
What about the Texaco cup 1973 winning 4-2 on aggregate beating Norwich 👏👏👏

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:47 am

well it doesn't matter that we're out of a tin-pot competition we had absolutely no chance of winning, BUT...……………

That result is an absolute disgrace, and I'm really angry about it.

Why rest so many first team fringe players - even first team regulars - when they do not have a game for the next 10 days?

For me, it sums up everything that's wrong with this club, and what has shown itself over the last few games and actually over the last few seasons - ABSOLUTELY NO PROFESSIONAL PRIDE. The whole management team needs to go now, before even more damage is done.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:22 am

I’ve made a comment on the other forum that some ( many?) of our senior players will now have a “ rest” for something like 18 days by the time the next league match happens. We see time and time again that Town simply fail to “ turn up” after even a week of International break . I’d out money on it Town will fall short in their next league game, and if it’s possible play even slower and more pedestrian.

If the Club are worried about injuries etc then they need to look at their training and conditioning regimes and not prevent players playing matches. It’s bloody ridiculous. SBR 80/81 team played in excess of 65 matches that season. They didn’t have a problem with wholesale season long injuries. I do wonder sometimes if players these days are just a bunch of pansies!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:32 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:08 am
What about the Texaco cup 1973 winning 4-2 on aggregate beating Norwich 👏👏👏
Get it added to the list, Kerry.

Three stars, a jalapeño and a petrol pump. 👍

rossi wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:47 am

Why rest so many first team fringe players - even first team regulars - when they do not have a game for the next 10 days?
Yep. Posted “wow” last night because I was feckin speechless on checking the BBC results website.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:40 am

It did feel a bit like last year when we’re resting players for the long arduous season ahead, yet that backfired. They didn’t look any fresher and we lost our last four games of last season.

Lambert has also bemoaned that, due to the virus, players can get injured more easily when they have a long layoff. Can’t have it both ways. Well, here was an opportunity to get some game time for some fringe players.

I felt that was just too much and Lambert wanting to stick two fingers up at the EFL.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:42 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:22 am
SBR 80/81 team played in excess of 65 matches that season. They didn’t have a problem with wholesale season long injuries.
You make an excellent point here. Ipswich were playing tons more due to the European games and injuries were few and far between.

AND........ the tackling was tougher with less strict refereeing.

I recently watched the YouTube highlights (again) of the ITFC 6-0 March 1st 1980 win over Manure. Some of the tackles?? :shock: It was FANTASTIC. Players almost murdered and the ref just waving away claims. :lol:
They’re all overpaid (waaaay overpaid) pansies, Hallam.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:49 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:40 am
.....due to the virus,......
This is getting everywhere now isn’t it.

Yesterday, wife’s car in garage:

“So what is required is the middle section and the tail pipe.”
“No worries, i’ll pop back later and collect it?”
“Err, no, we need to order it.”
“Ok, So, will I take it away and bring it back. How long does it take to get exhaust parts?”
“Well, ye see, it’s the Covid........”

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:16 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:42 am
hallamblue wrote:
SBR 80/81 team played in excess of 65 matches that season. They didn’t have a problem with wholesale season long injuries.
You make an excellent point here. Ipswich were playing tons more due to the European games and injuries were few and far between.

I recently watched the YouTube highlights (again) of the ITFC 6-0 March 1st 1980 win over Manure. Some of the tackles?? :shock: It was FANTASTIC. Players almost murdered and the ref just waving away claims. :lol:
With VAR that would have been 0-0 and Eight sendings off.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:24 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:16 am
marko69 wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

I’ll stick my neck out and say you ain’t joking with this? :lol:
Because you’re spot on. 👍

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:24 pm

rossi wrote:
well it doesn't matter that we're out of a tin-pot competition we had absolutely no chance of winning, BUT...……………

For me, it sums up everything that's wrong with this club, and what has shown itself over the last few games and actually over the last few seasons - ABSOLUTELY NO PROFESSIONAL PRIDE. The whole management team needs to go now, before even more damage is done.
rossi
Have to say I agree totally agree with this comment. The other thing that concerns me is when the manager virtually says I don't give a flying f*** about this competition then surely this could lead to players having the same attitude before they even step out on the pitch? I feel that any responsible owner would question this.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:26 pm

rossi wrote:

Of course there were a chance of winning it but such was the insignificance of the tournament any real progress was doomed before it were even properly underway. We were never going to show any real interest in going for it as last night demonstrated.

Can understand peoples ire about the elimination such was the contempt that Lambert showed with the squad selection and we're out of another so-called cup competition. The FA CUP is understandable, this p*ss-ant "tournament" last night, are people really going to be that inconsolable we're no longer part of it. Interesting with the former, would have been a home tie with Kings Lynn in the next round - and with it arguably a third round place in January - but we weren't to know that when losing to Portsmouth just recent. That kind of pisses you off in knowing what could have been, get one over on Norfolk and a almost guaranteed victory in what would have been a second round event.

TODD66
Posting Game Moderator

Post by TODD66 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:17 pm

marko69 wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

And most of the players from that era are crocked are they not!

Hip, knee replacements.Fused ankles etc. The list goes on.

They had all the same injuries as the lads do now but they were just shot up with steroids, cortazone and pain killers to get them out on the pitch as they were needed as squads were smaller.

Things have moved on and the clubs have a different focus and duty of care with their investment.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:59 pm

Sadly the way the great Sir Bobby Robson and Co did things f*cked Kevin Beattie, to name but One, FACT.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:34 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:59 pm
Sadly the way the great Sir Bobby Robson and Co did things f*cked Kevin Beattie, to name but One, FACT.
Oooo!! Ouch! But relative to the times though? Yes? ——-> pansies now, so they’re all pansies!
And so, “be tough or you don’t play” , and only very very few didn’t play. ..... on the pitch at all costs.

Things have moved on massively medically with advanced deep scanning etc. Players never “run off” injuries these days. They’re down, circular motions with their hands, “get me off!”
And rightly so with today’s knowledge.

But....... the guys of old....... (and Aussie Rules footballers now) ———> warriors.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:02 pm

TODD66 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:17 pm
marko69 wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

And most of the players from that era are crocked are they not!

Hip, knee replacements.Fused ankles etc. The list goes on.

They had all the same injuries as the lads do now but they were just shot up with steroids, cortazone and pain killers to get them out on the pitch as they were needed as squads were smaller.

Things have moved on and the clubs have a different focus and duty of care with their investment.
Very good points Toddy! And apparently ITFC as we know it has a ‘different focus’ on playing well...you can define ‘well’ however you like. :wink: :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:09 pm

It is about common sense. If a player is injured then they don't play. They have a whole medical team and evidenced based practice behind their rehab these days, not as was righty pointed out the steroid jab (all Clubs used that approach). The "physios" weren't even qualified / chartered Physiotherapists.

So, with all the weight of medical science behind training, medical interventions and follow up rehab, you have to ask the question why does this Club still appear to get it so wrong ?

...and Todd, you forgot dementia ( from heading a cast iron, brick of a ball back in the day) :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:23 pm

Unfortunately the dementia issue is relative to today also, Hallam.
Because the “strikers” have forgotten where the f**king goals are.

Jungman

Post by Jungman » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:13 pm

That game really hurt because I lost a bet with my betting app that I've got from captaingambling.com and the early goal of Crawley took my mood down. Hopefully Ipswitch will perform better against Shrewsbury next week.
Last edited by Jungman on Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:24 pm

Welcome to the forum, Jungman.

In the words of the late Graham Taylor........ “We’re gonna win every game until the end of the season!” 🤦‍♂️

Hopefully starting by turning over the Shrewz!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:26 pm

Few years ago when i was invited to join the upper crust as then David Sheepshanks and co in the directors box to watch a game. Part of that day was go behind the scenes at the training ground and also talk to the support staff.

This was several years ago as i mention but when going into the medical centre i asked about main injuries and courses of them. I was told most injuries now are pulls, tears etc and the MAIN course of injuries now believe it or not are the pitches, both at training ground and stadium. They are fantastic compared to years ago to play on but no give. Great to play on as truer and more even bouncing of the ball and not so much bare patches and divots etc.
Years ago they were boggy, you could slide and if you do a sharp turn your studs didn't get caught in the ground. Problem with today pitches so i was told, your feet gets stuck in the grass and lots of pitches have weaving to hold the grass roots but they don't give as much so your body turns but your feet get rooted. This course Lots with pulls, strains and tearing injuries.

Not so much contact injuries now through rule changing becoming lot stricter but though the pitches have improved since Sir Bobby's day here, they do course some concerns

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:16 am
marko69 wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:13 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:26 pm
Few years ago when i was invited to join the upper crust as then David Sheepshanks and co in the directors box to watch a game. Part of that day was go behind the scenes at the training ground and also talk to the support staff.

This was several years ago as i mention but when going into the medical centre i asked about main injuries and courses of them. I was told most injuries now are pulls, tears etc and the MAIN course of injuries now believe it or not are the pitches, both at training ground and stadium. They are fantastic compared to years ago to play on but no give. Great to play on as truer and more even bouncing of the ball and not so much bare patches and divots etc.
Years ago they were boggy, you could slide and if you do a sharp turn your studs didn't get caught in the ground. Problem with today pitches so i was told, your feet gets stuck in the grass and lots of pitches have weaving to hold the grass roots but they don't give as much so your body turns but your feet get rooted. This course Lots with pulls, strains and tearing injuries.

Not so much contact injuries now through rule changing becoming lot stricter but though the pitches have improved since Sir Bobby's day here, they do course some concerns
That's fascinating, but you would have thought that boot technology would have dealt with these issues also.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:59 am

It says a lot about this game when there are literally no comments about the game itself during or after it. Comments about Lambert’s selection policy or injuries or Doobs’ timing issues ( 25 posts in 13 years and wisely selected a nothing game to get some advise about the forum time). Maybe one comment about Bennetts being poor — which he was. I felt sorry for Bennetts though as basically he was the only outfield player who has a chance of being in the normal match day squad in that team. That’s the biggest vote of no-confidence from Lambert to a first-teamer - “I want you to play in a team I want to lose - I have complete confidence in you”.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:24 am

I was thinking the same Tang, you have to question the point of a match thread.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:30 am

I think regardless of how well Ipswich play, the site needs the matchday thread. Look through the first page. Every matchday thread reaches 3 or 4, even 6 pages.
The matchday thread dies, the forum dies with it.
As Ashford would say, “That’s a f**king FACT :shock: :shock: :evil: :twisted: :shock:

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:48 am

I do so humbly and sincerely apologise to post a comment on a previous post in this thread regarding injuries. I shall slap my wrists and of course endeavour to seek out any existing stinging nettles i can find and whip myself accordingly.

Far as the game itself i really do not know what people expect. It's a nothing game. Sure could of played few more experience players and run the risk of further injuries or just play the kids

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:57 am

Tangfastics post was purely aimed at Paul Lambert, Steve & Jo. He’s using the apathy amongst fans at the moment to get his point across. All cool 👍

Think you had the classic “Key & Peele” moment there good buddy! :lol:

https://youtu.be/naleynXS7yo