RIP Ray Clemence MBE.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

RIP Ray Clemence MBE.

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:00 pm

RIP Ray Clemence one of England’s best ever goalkeepers who unfortunately was around at a time of great keepers such as Leicester’s Banks and Shilton which limited his England Caps to 61 after sharing GK duties with Shilton over his 12yr International career. Despite this he still managed to win Total Football's poll of the best ever goalkeeper, beating players of the calibre of Lev Yashin, Pat Jennings, Gordon Banks and Peter Shilton.

Clemence died today 15 November 2020, after 15 years with prostate cancer. He was 72.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: RIP Ray Clemence MBE.

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:43 pm

Another of those players I relate to from the 70s when for me Football was at it's best. A class keeper, RIP Ray Clemence.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:24 pm

Me too - he was a class act throughout his playing days and the remainder of his life. RIP

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:41 pm

Don't think he ever played in a national tournament, Spain in 1982 maybe but recall Shilton, Banks or Woods were nearly always involved at such stages. Great ambassador for the game and had a real colorful career including a number of FA Cup Final appearances but seem to remember more being on the losing side than picking up a winners medal. Would have been involved in a Championship winning team guess it goes without saying.

Respect to Mr Clemence and immediate family. Been a terrible last few weeks for past names and greats of the game passing on.