Gareth Southgate - Should he stay or should he go ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Gareth Southgate - Should he stay or go ?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:58 pm

1) Stay
33%
2) Go
33%
3) Couldn’t care less ?
33%

Total votes: 9

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Gareth Southgate - Should he stay or should he go ?

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:58 pm

After England’s indifferent performances in the UEFA Nations Cup and failure to qualify for this seasons EURO Championships should Gareth Southgate remain in charge or hand over to someone more dynamic.

number 9

Re: Gareth Southgate - Should he stay or should he go ?

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:38 am

I’ve never been a fan of Southgates; his cautious tactics and bizarre line ups have came back to haunt him. England has underachieved for decades, so I’m not really sure who would be a better manager. I don’t think I’ve ever witnessed England playing brilliantly as a team, and with the lack of talent that’s what it’s gonna take to win anything.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:12 pm

Surely there's a better candidate for England manager than Southgate.

Negative boring tactics never win much - in fact his negative boring tactics have never won England anything.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:18 pm

In a fantasy world, I'd like to see Marcelo Biesla take charge of England. I love the counter attacking tactics he's created for Leeds. Just watch how many players surge forward on Leed's counter attacks. That explosive play is reminiscent of Newcastle in the 90s, ManU when they were still good and dare I say the Germans? Germany were at the pinnacle of 'brilliant team play' for years. Granted, Leeds has struggled a bit defensively...but if Biesla figures out how to defend with those attacking tactics Leeds could be a top four team in no time. England usually produces good defenders, so defense shouldn't be as much of a problem. Of course, it would never happen mainly because he's Argentinian.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:33 pm

Such a one dimensional manager in my opinion.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:37 pm

Frosty wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:33 pm
Get him a pair of 3D specs. Sorted.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:40 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:37 pm
Frosty wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:33 pm
Get him a pair of 3D specs. Sorted.
Priceless Marko.

Other question is, who would people replace Southgate with? Not keen on foreign managers. Steve Bruce maybe

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:32 pm

He got you to a World Cup semi-final what more do you want. If all the hype and bullshit from two years ago were to believed you'd have expected to win the goddamn thing. Southgate was a strange appointment from the start, guilty of one of the most infamous moments in English national history yet they gave him the job. Not my country but from a say 'neutral' perspective he's done well and carried the team to heights you wouldn't have envisaged when first coming in.

What was that mention at the start about failure to qualify for next years Euro Championships. Thought they had made it ? Must be the nations league thing or something, is there something going on simultaneously you know two different competitions next summer. You want to appoint someone else maybe give Shearer a go, he'd have the fans backing although lacks managerial experience. MIchael Owen maybe, even the rat Gerrard. Ex-players that raised a nation and made important contributions.