Lambert will only play 433 beacause......

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

ipswichtownNo1

Lambert will only play 433 beacause......

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:08 pm

In his words we are " no good with 2 up front" .
So mr lambert why is that?
Is it
A) beacuse we dont have enough forwards to choose from?
I doubt this, we had three on the bench tonight

B) because we cant get a decent ball into the box to supply our forwards?
Well maybe because you insist on playing judge and take off bennetts who looked like the only player capable of setting up a forward.

C) because you cant coach the players you have to fit that system?
My money is on this

Imagine being a forward at town after that comment from lambert. Poor norwood, played his socks off alone today, knowing he will have to do that week in and week out with little to play off. Also the others on the bench or at home thinking why the f*ck do we bother, they and players like dobra must be itching to get away from portman road.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Lambert will only play 433 beacause......

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:14 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:08 pm
In his words we are " no good with 2 up front" .
So mr lambert why is that?
Is it
A) beacuse we dont have enough forwards to choose from?
I doubt this, we had three on the bench tonight

B) because we cant get a decent ball into the box to supply our forwards?
Well maybe because you insist on playing judge and take off bennetts who looked like the only player capable of setting up a forward.

C) because you cant coach the players you have to fit that system?
My money is on this

Imagine being a forward at town after that comment from lambert. Poor norwood, played his socks off alone today, knowing he will have to do that week in and week out with little to play off. Also the others on the bench or at home thinking why the f*ck do we bother, they and players like dobra must be itching to get away from portman road.
Wow. :shock: Did he actually say that?

Been keeping away from pressers but i'll go try and find this one.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:18 pm

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:25 pm

He did indeed.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:27 pm

Cheers ITNO1`

Think that needs to be read 24 hours after a game so that a fan can "maybe" relate to SOME of it. But, "getting nasty" etc etc. It's all words. Means fk all. The guy is an idiot.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:35 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:27 pm
Cheers ITNO1`

Think that needs to be read 24 hours after a game so that a fan can "maybe" relate to SOME of it. But, "getting nasty" etc etc. It's all words. Means fk all.
I read it tonight marko. I am actually quite calm tonight as i thought they played well, but judge was not great. To me they look like a bunch of players with no purpose, no understanding of what to do as a team. Lambert also says he is happy with the possesion we had but thats no good if you create nothing with that possesion, and also most of it is in our own half. He has also again thrown the youngsters under the bus tonight. Really poor man management imo. And for ANY manager to say his team cant play 442 needs to question if he is the man for the job, its his job to coach that. He is basically saying ive got noting but 433 up my sleeve.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:40 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:35 pm
And for ANY manager to say his team cant play 442 needs to question if he is the man for the job, its his job to coach that. He is basically saying ive got noting but 433 up my sleeve.
I agree. A bloody daft thing to say.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:45 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:35 pm
And for ANY manager to say his team cant play 442 needs to question if he is the man for the job, its his job to coach that. He is basically saying ive got noting but 433 up my sleeve.
Yep, and like you also said; not the best thing for the youngsters to hear.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:28 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:27 pm
Cheers ITNO1`

Think that needs to be read 24 hours after a game so that a fan can "maybe" relate to SOME of it. But, "getting nasty" etc etc. It's all words. Means fk all. The guy is an idiot.
I’ve always been behind Lambert , as I honestly thought he’d do the job here , but I’m finished with him now, as I hope Evans sees him as finished at this Club. Come 5pm Saturday Town will quite likely be out of the top six and another season will be over with before it’s even got going.
He’s not good enough for the job at ITFC. There, I’ve said it !

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:32 am

Lambert’s contract will be extended by Christmas. :?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:48 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:32 am
Expired I hope No 9.

I just listened, or at least started to listen to his post match interview, how bloody uninspiring is he. He speaks as if he’s utterly bored, thoroughly pissed off and totally clueless. All he could say umpteen times is, we’ve got to be more nasty.

I just hope Marcus Evans gets more nasty and very quickly too, and send him packing.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:13 am

I've always thought you should give a manager time but I think he has had enough now but who would in there right minds that's any good want to manage Ipswich Town?, It would be difficult to find the right man for the job.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:22 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:48 am
number 9 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:32 am
Expired I hope No 9.

I just listened, or at least started to listen to his post match interview, how bloody uninspiring is he. He speaks as if he’s utterly bored, thoroughly pissed off and totally clueless. All he could say umpteen times is, we’ve got to be more nasty.

I just hope Marcus Evans gets more nasty and very quickly too, and send him packing.
Well Andy, that sounds like a manager that has run out of ideas and knows he’s now on borrowed time.

A Name being bandied about as potential replacement is Paul Cook. Right now id take a bloody Elf !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:20 am

As you well know Liz I have never liked Paul Lambert however I was quite impressed with how he dealt with the transition period post Mick McCarthy’s departure and he did a great job bringing the fans back onboard. He also lifted club morale although I believe many of the players were themselves disappointed to see MM leave, probably because he was a more intelligent football manager, it’s just a shame his style wasn’t more exciting.

All said, I see no future with Paul Lambert at the helm because in my opinion he’s a “has been” manager with no future in the game. His methods are old hat, his tactical nous is non existent and he has no idea how to change things mid game to either exploit an opponents weakness or mitigate an opponents strength.

To make matters worse he gives the impression of not having an inspirational bone in his body, lacks self motivation let alone motivation of others, and always gives the impression of being depressed.

I know some will say we’re doing well, we’re in the Top 6 blah blah blah etc, but for me with Paul Lambert in charge we will never enjoy sustained success.

I’d also remind any of you guys who thought relegation would be good for the club and afford us the opportunity to rebuild and bounce back quickly, where we are now underlines all of the reasons why that wasn’t such a good idea.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:39 am

Agree with all that Andy, I really liked him in the early days and he did indeed unite the fans but as some said a week or Two back, is last season going to repeat itself? We just cannot afford to still be in League One next season so the manner in which we rolled over in terms of not changing it up and giving it a go is scary to say the least and why I think if change is going to come this season it really needs to be while we still have an excellent chance of promotion, sadly I just don't see Evans budging on this. As for relegation being a good thing, whoever thought that needs serious help, it could only ever have been a disaster.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:02 pm

I fully agree with what Charnwood & Bluemike say.

Lambert did a brilliant PR when he took over & everyones expectations rose accordingly, but as CW says he seems very much yesterday's man when it comes to coaching/tactics, etc. His comments about 4-2-2 post match were very hard to comprehend & exposed even more his apparent lack of tactical nous.

For me the big question is, what the hell does Evans do now?

I was not a McCarthy fan (mainly due to his character & attitude towards the fans), but just as a thought, I wonder where we would be now had he stayed.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:18 pm

Probably still struggling in the bottom half of the Championship BB but bored to tears, however without fans it would have been more tolerable. To be honest at the moment I think I’d take that in preference to having the same situation one division lower.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:30 pm

I agree with you CW.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:39 am
Agree with all that Andy, I really liked him in the early days and he did indeed unite the fans but as some said a week or Two back, is last season going to repeat itself? We just cannot afford to still be in League One next season so the manner in which we rolled over in terms of not changing it up and giving it a go is scary to say the least and why I think if change is going to come this season it really needs to be while we still have an excellent chance of promotion, sadly I just don't see Evans budging on this. As for relegation being a good thing, whoever thought that needs serious help, it could only ever have been a disaster.
I agree 100% with this - we DO need to get out of this league this season, and at the moment we still have a good chance of promotion (I would not say excellent), but this chance will diminish with each week that PL remains in charge until there is no way back.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:38 pm

Personally, I lost faith in Lambert last season. It was a terrible campaign which got steadily worse. This season he at least tried to stick to a certain team and formation which I was pleased with as I think Lambert’s very limited and he’s better to do things simply. What worries me most is the lack of improvement we’ve made in 2 years with a squad that’s mostly been together for a long time. What a waste of a season last year was. I’ve no idea what they do on the training pitch except get injured.

Other teams look better coached, drilled and disciplined than us. They seem to know what they’re doing. This season we’ve relied on individuals like Edwards and Bishop and played well in small spells, but never really dominated teams. We shouldn’t be fooled by this possession football - other teams want us to have the ball, especially our defenders. This league is poor and we have some good footballers who will win us games against poor sides- which is why we’re in the top six. But I’m not sure we’re good enough to stay there with Lambert in charge. We can still get promotion but not because of Lambert, but more in spite of him.
His interviews are getting more and more embarrassing. Telling us we’re playing well when we’re crap or indifferent. Getting snarky with the media over reasonable questions. Having a pop at young players whilst letting under-performing senior players off the hook. Surely Evans and/or O’Neill must be concerned about how he’s coming across and how this season is looking more and more like last season. I’m not totally convinced that with a fully fit squad Lambert can get the best out of them anyway. We need better coaching and a more tactically astute manager. I can’t see Evans getting rid unless we have a terrible losing streak but I think we’ll meet enough crap sides to dig out a win often enough to keep Lambert in his job.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:40 pm

Lambert's contract won't even be reviewed at end of year. Evans or whoever will just allow things to continue without taking any action, you know how it's going to be. The owner has a number of other business enterprises you can only imagine the welfare of this club is far from high on a list.

Maybe the manager doesn't know what his best formation is, maybe whatever style the team deploys we don't have enough quality in the team to challenge this league. Playing nasty as was suggested, don't think by that he wants to run risk of further caution and suspensions, he just wants an extra aggression factor or that we're simply a soft touch.

It's as futile to vaulting over a ten foot wall with a six foot pole but one last time Lambert (Norwich apart) has failed at every club he's been appointed to. (And there's been a considerable number) Guess a great many didn't realize it at time of arrival - or simply chose not to.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:54 pm

Saint , Lambo hasn't done anything since he split with Culverhouse. But the suggestion that the latter was the real manager at narwich is a bit wide of the mark for me . Id say it was more of a successful / effective "partnership"...neither has done a thing since their acrimonious split.

Its the same old waiting game now isnt it ....how long before Evans pulls that trigger.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:20 pm

I'd really be surprised if ME replaces Lambert this season unless we're in a relegation battle which I don't see happening. He's not gonna want to fork out any unnecessary contract pay offs if he can avoid it. Imagine how much money he's already lost from his primary income sources due to Covid. The only reason he's maintained ownership of ITFC as long as he has is for the tax break as we already know. I think he'd love to sell the club if he got the right offer. For now, he's fine with staying in League One for a few more years with a Salary Cap which totally mirrors his financially cautious approach of owning a football club anyway.

So,...we're stuck with Lambert I'm afraid. All we can really do is hope that a full squad of injury free players is going to be enough to get us promoted. I said at the beginning of the season after watching a few matches we won, we didn't look like promotion contenders. Fast forward to where we are now and we're playing even worse.

Lambert will only play 4-3-3 because he can!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:28 pm

Well I know it's tempting to go after the gaffer but I really do think that he's been royally stuffed by the injury situation this season. Watching the Hull game last night made it quite clear. We have no effective midfield and there really are no players that could be drafted in to make a difference. If we had kept the same midfield line up fit that we had in the early games of this season then I'm 100% certain that we would not be having this conversation.

Maybe switching to 4-4-2 would help alleviate this but that would be a lot to ask of the 3rd line youngsters who have been working hard in training on our 4-3-3. Switching formations mid game is something that only experienced players can really do well IMO and we don't have many of them in MF at the moment.

If we keep on beating the lower teams and maybe get a few points against those around us we will be in the mix. Maybe then we can tackle the playoffs with a full strength side. Don't forget other teams are dropping points all the time too.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:40 am

There’s a real surge in wanting Lambert out.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-t ... -1-6945388

Can’t say this is knee-jerk - a relegation, a dismal 11th place finish with arguably the best (or biggest) squad in the league and this season seeming to mirror last season’s. I can understand we’ve had decisions go against us and the catalogue of injuries but gut reaction feels we’re not making progress after 2 years of Lambert. Bad luck aside - we look clueless and off the pace too often.

Whatever happens I hope this mood doesn’t rumble on throughout the season, but have a feeling it will. We’ve been here too many times before and you feel it’s too far gone for Lambert now to win back the fanbase. But will Evans pull the trigger or be able to afford it?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:42 pm

I see the banner was tied to the “training ground” gates? Some may fall over and become very injured on seeing this.

I certainly take no pleasure from being part of the “Lambert get the fk out” group but it also started for me way last season after some highly irritating press conferences....... one in particular.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:13 pm

I think the problem is marko , if Town don't go up this season , we stand to lose all our best youngsters (why would they stay?). There's been a few things this season directed at them and its really odd that "PR Paul" is so scathing of the them, when some senior players are so abysmal.

I think we will have something like 20 senior players out of contract in the summer too. That together with the wage cap, will mean Town really will be an entrenched Three division Club. If Lambo continues as he currently is ( injuries or no injuries ) , we will fall away just like last season. I think we will be out of the top 6 by 5pm on Saturday. Surely any half decent manager should be able to get these players to compete at this level ??

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:27 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:28 pm
Well I know it's tempting to go after the gaffer but I really do think that he's been royally stuffed by the injury situation this season. Watching the Hull game last night made it quite clear. We have no effective midfield and there really are no players that could be drafted in to make a difference. If we had kept the same midfield line up fit that we had in the early games of this season then I'm 100% certain that we would not be having this conversation.

Maybe switching to 4-4-2 would help alleviate this but that would be a lot to ask of the 3rd line youngsters who have been working hard in training on our 4-3-3. Switching formations mid game is something that only experienced players can really do well IMO and we don't have many of them in MF at the moment.

If we keep on beating the lower teams and maybe get a few points against those around us we will be in the mix. Maybe then we can tackle the playoffs with a full strength side. Don't forget other teams are dropping points all the time too.
Thanks DB - that's quite the best laugh I've had for weeks :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:40 pm

Don't want no play-offs, our record in them is sub-standard and in this league we should be looking at automatic promotion. With a settled team and enough consistency this is within our grasp but too often not every player pulls their weight or nowhere nearly focused enough. Displaying a fancy Lambert out banner is all very well but how far do you think it's going to get them. Not the words I'd use, would be a touch more cynical in putting a point across.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:49 pm

"I think Bryan Klug's answer in his interview on the club website makes a mockery of PL' insistence on his preferred 4-3-3. Reading between the lines it could be seen as a subtle dig at the current system.

Thanks for your time, Bryan. First of all, what is your role in terms of establishing a style or styles of play at the Club?

"I’d like to think that over the years, the Academy have had not one particular style but a way of playing. It’s very good for the first-team to settle into a way of playing and it’s our job to produce players who can do that. There’s more than one way of playing football, that’s something I’ve learned over many years. When players come out at the other end of the Academy, we like to think that they’d be prepared to play in a way that any manager can want them to play. We haven’t had to adapt too much.

Credit: itfc.co.uk