Lambert will only play 433 beacause......

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

AzzurroMark

Re: Lambert will only play 433 beacause......

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:52 am

One thing which has occured to me; If, as we are told, ITFC are sticking to a 4-3-3 formation throughout the whole club infrastructure, how come our U23 appear to be making a degree of success of it?
Our U23 currently sit top of their league! Like the first team, they are likely to be able to field a reasonably strong side, just not sure if the teams they play against are inferior, commensurate to the First team and League One?
I have never watched an U23 match before, and while Covid prevents anyone from seeing them, i would just like to know why they appear to be doing ok? Are they being flexible and changing approach during the game, or like PL's team sticking rigidly to the formation?
I can only guess that it is because League One football needs a totally different approach to it, being able to mixit up and play ugly!
Any thoughts?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:22 am

I can’t see I’ve seen any 23 matches, but they seem to be playing good football (from highlights). All managers have said there is a massive gulf between the standard of 23 football and senior level. I think that’s very true.

I think at that level the intensity and physicality levels are much lower and teams can play more freely. Also, I’d imagine tactics probably aren’t as important. Our opposition at senior level know our players and style of play because there’s video footage and managers will check out the opposition prior to games. I think if the opposition allowed us to play, we’d look very good. But they won’t and they’ve been pretty effective in closing us down. Whatever formation we play, we look a bit tactically inept and unable to adapt during games. I think it could be a case just picking your best players and choosing the best formation that suits them, rather than having one strict formation or style of play. The team should be able to mix it up, adapt and play whatever formation that the match situation dictates.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:33 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:22 am
I can’t say I’ve seen any 23 matches, but they seem to be playing good football (from highlights). All managers have said there is a massive gulf between the standard of 23 football and senior level. I think that’s very true.

I think at that level the intensity and physicality levels are much lower and teams can play more freely. Also, I’d imagine tactics probably aren’t as important. Our opposition at senior level know our players and style of play because there’s video footage and managers will check out the opposition prior to games. I think if the opposition allowed us to play, we’d look very good. But they won’t and they’ve been pretty effective in closing us down. Whatever formation we play, we look a bit tactically inept and unable to adapt during games. I think it could be a case just picking your best players and choosing the best formation that suits them, rather than having one strict formation or style of play. The team should be able to mix it up, adapt and play whatever formation that the match situation dictates.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:21 pm

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head Tang, what I do know is this, when we went 4-4-2 in a game a while back, think it was Plymouth, Hawkins and Jackson linked up really well and won us the game, it was a couple of days after the genius that is Paul Lambert said we are sh*te at 4-4-2 and can't play that way.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:06 pm

I’ll also add........ (and it’s not a defence of Lambo because I think he needs removed for VARIOUS reasons) ..... but from highlights, it looks to me like Ipswich are regularly playing against 7,8,9 sometimes 10 men defences. I’ve never commented on the “they’ve worked us out” thinking because I don’t think they have. It’s just a flooded defence strategy.
Much like the Alloas, Stranraers and Raiths when playing Hibs. It’s like Ipswich are playing against the primary 7’s in some highlights.

It’s a SHYTE League.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:21 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:06 pm
I’ll also add........ (and it’s not a defence of Lambo because I think he needs removed for VARIOUS reasons) ..... but from highlights, it looks to me like Ipswich are regularly playing against 7,8,9 sometimes 10 men defences. I’ve never commented on the “they’ve worked us out” thinking because I don’t think they have. It’s just a flooded defence strategy.
Much like the Alloas, Stranraers and Raiths when playing Hibs. It’s like Ipswich are playing against the primary 7’s in some highlights.

It’s a SHYTE League.
Well you could argue they have worked us out. Just let us have the ball and we’ll do nothing with it. We’re slow in possession and they could get five teams behind the ball if they could in the time we get the ball out of our half.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:30 pm

Well, 🤔🤔🤔, not sure it’s actual working out? If it is, it’s lazy working out and counter attacking when Ipswich are frustrated. I don’t know. Based on what I’ve witnessed when Ipswich are in and around the box....... sometimes looks impossible and all you can hope for is a deflection of some sort.
Bear in mind, haven’t witnessed 90 mins since 18/19 season, so 🤷‍♂️

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:39 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:30 pm
Well, 🤔🤔🤔, not sure it’s actual working out? If it is, it’s lazy working out and counter attacking when Ipswich are frustrated. I don’t know. Based on what I’ve witnessed when Ipswich are in and around the box....... sometimes looks impossible and all you can hope for is a deflection of some sort.
No you’re right, especially the last game at Burton where we managed to get to their box and put in about 20 harmless crosses which were headed out. In other games, though, we struggle to pass it out of our half before we boot it upfield. Anyway, new signings and returning players should make an impact. How much... who knows?
I just think the most important back room staff now are the medical team, because our best chance is keeping the best players fit - as I have little faith in us tactically out-witting opponents.

AngusThermopyle

Post by AngusThermopyle » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:21 pm

OK,

Let's face facts. Since Mr SmugEvans took over the club, we have slid lower and lower. We now struggle to beat clubs like Doncaster Rovers and Portsmouth. This is what Mr Evans has done to us

Lambert is a good manage. But you can't give someone a sh*t sandwich and say it's great. Evans and his policy of no funds is the root of all Ipwiches problems.

Lambert is great manager for where we are. It's not his fault, but Evans. If I was Lambert I would be looking for a new job, not hamstrung by a total w*nk of an owner.

Shaun Wallace

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:03 pm

Welcome back, MPB. 👍

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:59 pm

It's that mastermind champion off The Chase not Mach Polish. Hell it could be Paul Sinha, Anne Heggarty or Mark Labbett coming on. Quite an honor to be with such distinguished company.

Allow it though that Evans has had a huge hand in the fall away but that dance is now tiring and then some. Lambert not a good manager, that's been proven in the wider picture. Hold on it goes to mention he's a great manager, you kind of lose focus on what to add after that.

As an aside do you really believe that, I mean Paul Lambert is a good efficient team coach or words to such extent (?) He won't resign / look for employment elsewhere either. On a cushy job here. Can largely fail or a continuation of poor results and performance and an owner who will do next to nothing to rectify a situation.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:39 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:30 pm
All true. But also we fail to get sufficient bodies in the box.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:35 pm

….that's probably coz they are still pratting about in the defending half passing it side to side amongst themselves ! :lol:

AngusThermopyle

Post by AngusThermopyle » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:46 pm

Hi Saint Jude (patron Saint of lost causes and policemen)

I may, just may lol have got carried away on my anti Evans rant. I disagree with "that dance is now tiring". How can this ever tire when he is the REASON we are struggling (ffs) in league one. He needs to go or nothing will change, full stop.

Shaun

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:23 pm

The trouble is Shaun, until we have somebody else who is prepared to pump in 7k Monday morning and then 7k next Monday morning and 7k the Monday after that etc etc etc we are kinda stuck with him.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:44 pm

Only 7K, Mike? Genuinely asking....... thought it’d be more. A lot more actually.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:48 pm

I think that’s Norwoods weekly wage.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:25 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:44 pm
Only 7K, Mike? Genuinely asking....... thought it’d be more. A lot more actually.
I read many moons ago he was topping up by that amount every week to just keep the Club afloat, that was the shortfall required to pay the Norwoods of this world, it could well be a lot more now as it was a few years ago. That is on top of everything else he puts in.

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:35 pm

AngusThermopyle wrote:
Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:21 pm
OK,

Let's face facts. Since Mr SmugEvans took over the club, we have slid lower and lower. We now struggle to beat clubs like Doncaster Rovers and Portsmouth. This is what Mr Evans has done to us

Lambert is a good manage. But you can't give someone a sh*t sandwich and say it's great. Evans and his policy of no funds is the root of all Ipwiches problems.

Lambert is great manager for where we are. It's not his fault, but Evans. If I was Lambert I would be looking for a new job, not hamstrung by a total w*nk of an owner.

Shaun Wallace
Goodness Shaun that name takes me back...........it's been a long while since I've thought about The Gap Cycle and poor old Morn Hyland. I might pick it back up again - at least it would take my mind off the bl*ody depressing football.