Lamberts tactical ability ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Lamberts tactical ability ?

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:06 am

I think the more I hear and see of PL this season, the more I am now of the opinion he simply doesn’t have the tactical awareness, or ability to change things from what he sees as the “right way to play”. For me, He demonstrates a total lack of flexibility in his thinking process. He appears unable to recognise when his plan isn’t going well or of the need when to change his approach, even if it’s just for part of a game. He seems to get a “ plan” fixed in his head, and stick to it come what may. Last season it was squad rotation. This season it’s a style of play.

This rigidity of thinking, (which many will view as stubbornness), was his downfall in previous jobs I think, and will eventually be so at ITFC.

The problem Evans has is that 5 year contract ( I can’t believe he hasn’t built some productivity or escape clauses), and what it would once again cost him to pull the trigger. This season is different in so much as he has virtually no income to the business due to the effects of CoVid. His personal costs for running ITFC Ltd will have increased significantly, so he may not be in position to even pull that trigger, even if he wants too.

For us fans the “ pain “ continues, and I think Evans will be forced to act once we get to the point of ST renewals again. This time however not only does he have a disenchanted fan base, but a fan base that has got used to not attending PR. And so the downward spiral continues. Groundhog Day.

So the question is, does Evans keep faith whatever, with PL, or does he go and get someone like Paul Cook in whilst he’s still available?

AzzurroMark

Re: Lamberts tactical ability ?

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:50 pm

Was thinking along the lines of his 5 year contract just this morning, and was going to start a thread on the subject. However, i think your post has covered that ground quite well.

I will hold my hands up and say i was one of those who was strongly supportive of the potential positives of the original deal. At the time i felt it would "lay to bed" those rumours of unrest. In the camp, which were circling at the time. I believed ME was making a strong statement, saying "PL is my man, i believe in him". I gave other supportive comments too but hopefully you get my drift?

Now however.......! I feel this is similar to a case of someone having a nice sizeable plot of land and buying the materials for the foundations of their dream home, then employing a builder who had a reputation as a talented brickie responsible for some great construction work in Scotland and being part of a crew who built a formidable mansion in Germany. He set out with an old work mate of his, leading a construction firm, but it soon became apparent that his mate was the gifted one, This lead to a parting of ways, and soon people started seeing that perhaps this guy wasn't all that! He bailed out on a couple of jobs and sadly his houses seemed one-dimensional! One year he would constantly bring in different hired hands, but on seeing the shoddy results this brought, tried to be more rigid the following year, by only building houses with 4 rooms downstairs, 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms, despite the calls from many others to change the designs.So now the owner has been lumbered with a builder who doesn't appear capable of finishing the job to the exacting standards he set out with.

Now then, what was Hallam's question? :lol:
Hopefully further caveats/clauses have been included in PL's contract, otherwise we look as though ME might have shot himself in the foot with his 'well-intentioned" plan and he is landed with a very stubborn manager.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:17 pm

Ha ha , that’s a brilliant analogy 👍👍........

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:30 pm

I agree with Mick Mills for once; I prefer a manager with a set style of play rather than the MM method of setting up to neutralise the opposition. But you have to be flexible and change things during the game of they aren't working. That is where PL regularly fails.

No one can get it right for 90 minutes every week. To my mind a good manager is one who can change things for the better by tweaking the system in the second half.

So my question is: do we regulatly improve after half time if we are struggling? If the answer is no, then the manager is failing.