LAMBERT, GET THE FK OUT.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

LAMBERT, GET THE FK OUT.

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:45 pm

That’s it. No more needs said.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: LAMBERT, GET THE FK OUT.

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:54 pm

Agreed

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:58 pm

Agreed although tbh got past the point of caring.
For me rossi hit the nail on the head when he said there is so much wrong with this club.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:04 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:58 pm
Agreed although tbh got past the point of caring.
For me rossi hit the nail on the head when he said there is so much wrong with this club.
That's so very sad to hear but I agree totally

Let the fun begin

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:22 pm

Evans won't do squat this season no matter how Lambert performs. He's only been here a relatively short time, Hurst apart all managers here were allowed to continue poorly and ineffective before long overdue their employment were terminated. I don't think any club outside the EPL would give Lambert a chance right now. They either realize his management record is largely sub-standard or they're in a position where there's no need to change personnel.

Best scenario, Lambert quits before end of year, we get someone in with ideas and ambition and give ourselves a real chance of making it back to the second level. If it continues as it is we remain in League One for another year, I'm about 90 per cent certain on it. Just that slight element of giving the manager the benefit of the doubt that he can turn it around and take the club back up to where it should be.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:16 pm

The other side of that coin SJ, perhaps no team would want Lambert but what manager is going to want to come here, I mean seriously, if it wasn't a poisoned chalice before, it certainly seems that way now.

The club is in even more turmoil than ever and the only blessing is that for now, our league position is fairly healthy.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:33 pm

So who would/could we bring in to replace him?

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:44 pm

mugen1 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:33 pm
Kieron Dyer, he's probably about the only man on the planet that would take the job! That or Chambers player manager?! Though I have heard Paul Hurst is available too.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:45 pm

I don't think changing managers will have that much of an impact on results. We didn't look terrible today; we just need that cutting edge to finish attacks and score goals. More worrying for me was our defence today. Toto looks like he's taking a stroll in the park, and Woolfy looks like an injured cat. Chambo is great going forward, but we need all the help we can get in defence. Same thing for Ward. We played better near the end with two strikers.

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:53 pm

So why doesn't he stick 2 up front? More chance with 2 than 1. He just doesn't want to change formation over the course of a game :astroll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:10 pm

mugen1 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:33 pm
Someone else.

Anyone.

9's injured cat?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:16 pm

mugen1 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:53 pm
So why doesn't he stick 2 up front? More chance with 2 than 1. He just doesn't want to change formation over the course of a game :astroll:
Lambert's gonna have to make some changes soon. Obviously the 4-3-3 isn't working against top six teams.

Andym

Re: Ipswich Town vs Charlton Athletic Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:08 pm

Final comment (for now 😀): I said previously a good manager is one who will change things when it's not going well. He failed that test again today.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:27 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:08 pm
Final comment (for now 😀): I said previously a good manager is one who will change things when it's not going well. He failed that test again today.
In my opinion Andy this is Paul Lambert’s biggest weakness, he either fails to identify an opponents strength or weakness or can’t fathom out how to nullify or exploit it the same way as good managers do intuitively. Whereas most very good young football managers climb a career ladder, as we know Paul Lambert’s career has for five years been sliding in the opposite direction, in my opinion solely because he lacks the ability to read a game and make effective tactical changes in play.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:43 pm

It looks to me that when Lambert had a fall out with Ian Culverhouse it was the turning point in his career as a manager, he just doesn't seem to have a clue IMO.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:57 pm

Things going really well since getting rid of McCarthy. Looks like Lambert will be booted now. So.... onto the next manager.
I think Ipswich Town are potentially facing a number of years in League One. Shame as should be a Championship club all day long but on the slide and a bit to go yet.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:00 pm

It's tough being an ITFC supporter. We really deserve better after all the shyte we've endured.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:21 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:00 pm
It's tough being an ITFC supporter. We really deserve better after all the shyte we've endured.
Hmmm, how much is self inflicted.
Club is in mess and its not going to be fixed any time soon. Great club living on past glories, needs to be turned upside down and reset

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:44 pm

f*ck me, you only come out of the bloody wordwork when things are going wrong, just stick to following the pile of sh*te up the road mate.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:12 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:21 pm
number 9 wrote:
Club is in mess and its not going to be fixed any time soon. Great club living on past glories, needs to be turned upside down and reset
I can't remember where you live and how many matches you see. I understand why you think we made a mistake wanting MM out, as potentially we might (and only might) still be in the Championship if he was still here.
I ask the question about where you live and how many games you watch because i think it's important. For a club i follow but don't watch (in my case Luton, my home town) results and league standing are all important. But for Ipswich, the team I watch, I want to see us play entertaining football. Under MM that wasn't happening. If other managers since have failed, that is the fault of the owner in appointing them rather than in sacking MM. The early weeks of this season when we moved the ball quickly and got the midfield in the opposing penalty area were far more enjoyable than the last few years under McCarthy.
I respect your views, and agree we are going nowhere. But I for one am still glad I'm not watching MM's style (using the word loosely) of football.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:26 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:44 pm
f*ck me, you only come out of the bloody wordwork when things are going wrong, just stick to following the pile of sh*te up the road mate.
eh when have they been going well recently. Btw the pile of sh*te up the road are better than Ipswich Town at the moment ? Don't underestimate Scottish football compared to League One in England.

Its enormously frustrating watching what has happened to Ipswich Town over the last 3-4 seasons and the stupidity of it. Chickens have now come home to roost and its going to be a long road back.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:32 pm

I should also add that today we defended poorly for the goals. We gave the ball away cheaply in midfield. We wasted some good crossing opportunities.

There may be organisational/ management/ tactical issues. But poor play by the 11 on the pitch is not all down to the manager. I may not agree with his team selection or tactics, but ANY professional footballer should be able to pass and cross a ball.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:36 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:12 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:21 pm
number 9 wrote:
I can't remember where you live and how many matches you see. I understand why you think we made a mistake wanting MM out, as potentially we might (and only might) still be in the Championship if he was still here.
I ask the question about where you live and how many games you watch because i think it's important. For a club i follow but don't watch (in my case Luton, my home town) results and league standing are all important. But for Ipswich, the team I watch, I want to see us play entertaining football. Under MM that wasn't happening. If other managers since have failed, that is the fault of the owner in appointing them rather than in sacking MM. The early weeks of this season when we moved the ball quickly and got the midfield in the opposing penalty area were far more enjoyable than the last few years under McCarthy.
I respect your views, and agree we are going nowhere. But I for one am still glad I'm not watching MM's style (using the word loosely) of football.
Disagree, no matter what you think of McCarthy's style, you are far better off playing in the Championship as you can always improve. McCarthy used the resources he had wisley and was a cunning fox. If he had the tools to play attractive football he would have. He was able to work the loan market superbly as top managers trusted him with their players.
Getting rid of McCarthy was a monumental mistake by Ipswich forced by fans. The board had no intention of getting rid of him as they knew his value but both MM and the board ended up with no option.
They then go down a shambolic route with Hurst and are going nowhere under Lambert. Maybe not all Lamberts fault either. Maybe doing the best he can with what he has.
The club is a mess, the owner doesn't have the resouces, the fanbase was deluded a few years back and now getting a reality check. Long way to go but the club is Championship level and needs sorted out from top to bottom. It will get there in the end but when it gets back to the Championship it might not be playing the football you crave at that level. Then what ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:53 pm

To be fair guys Valley Road may only be an occasional poster but his view has never wavered regarding Mick McCarthy, and as much as some of us don’t necessarily agree with his opinion it is a valid view and worthy of discussion. As far as I’m concerned McCarthy made his position untenable and contributed big style to his own demise. In a slightly different way Lambert is doing exactly the same.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:03 am

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:43 pm
It looks to me that when Lambert had a fall out with Ian Culverhouse it was the turning point in his career as a manager, he just doesn't seem to have a clue IMO.
I wish I had a pound for every time a successful manager of a football club was supposedly down to his assistant ?
Its nonsense. Paul Lambert actually has a very good football record if you do your work and research.
I would say he is working his backside off at Ipswich and doing the best he can with the resources he has.
I would stick with him but I'm not sure how long Lambert will stick with Ipswich Town ?

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:06 am

saint jude wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:22 pm
Evans won't do squat this season no matter how Lambert performs. He's only been here a relatively short time, Hurst apart all managers here were allowed to continue poorly and ineffective before long overdue their employment were terminated. I don't think any club outside the EPL would give Lambert a chance right now. They either realize his management record is largely sub-standard or they're in a position where there's no need to change personnel.

Best scenario, Lambert quits before end of year, we get someone in with ideas and ambition and give ourselves a real chance of making it back to the second level. If it continues as it is we remain in League One for another year, I'm about 90 per cent certain on it. Just that slight element of giving the manager the benefit of the doubt that he can turn it around and take the club back up to where it should be.
If I remember correctly this was how Paul Lambert was described ?
So we now have MM, Paul Jewell, Roy Keane and Paul Lambert all not good enough for Ipswich Town.
All managers who have won the Championship, some on multiple occassions and kept teams in the Premiership with limited resource.
I think the problems at Ipswich Town may lie in other areas ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:22 am

If Lambert goes my biggest concern is how we attract a quality manager to a football club in decline. Get it wrong and we could drop another level to League Two.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:43 am

Charny please don’t mention League Two yet!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:48 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:43 am
Charny please don’t mention League Two yet!
Sorry No9, I won’t mention it again, that’s a promise.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:50 am

I really can’t see Lambert hanging around regardless of what we might want, it’s simply not his style.

To be honest I find it all pretty depressing after yet another good start to a season just evaporating into thin air.

My concern is that at this rate of decline we could be mid table by Christmas/New Year.