George Burley statement......

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

George Burley statement......

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:27 pm

..... not sure how recent this comment by George is....

“The tradition of this club, with what Alf Ramsey, Bobby Robson and even myself achieved shouldn't be forgotten. Right now, Ipswich should be contesting for the top six in the Championship every year at the very least – that's where I think they should be. I was at the club for 21 years as a player and manager and the standard never dropped below that. That's the level Ipswich Town should be endeavouring to be at again. That's where they should expect to be. It's that type of club.When I took over in 1994 the first thing I said was I wanted to take the club back into Europe and we did that“

Is he throwing his cap in the ring re the managers job ??

Tangfastic

Re: George Burley statement......

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:44 pm

From May 2017. Even before the great MM left.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-t ... 1-5038022

Could this be getting out of control :).

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:47 pm

EDIT: Ah that makes a bit more sense Tang...

Can't find that statement anywhere, only recent stuff I can see from Burley is about Maradona.

Would be pretty unprofessional for him to heap pressure on Lambert. Was it during Hurst appointment that he definitely did throw his cap in the ring? 64 years old and nearly 10 years out of management, even a desperate Evans mightn't consider that would he? Might be as good as any to rattle the cage and sort out the time wasters at the club?!! Can't believe I just said that.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:14 pm

Call me crazy, but I'd take Burley over MM, Hurst or Lambert! Of course hindsight is 20/20.

* I just remembered I got chastised by a few on here when I suggested his name before McCarthy.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:22 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:14 pm
Call me crazy, but I'd take Burley over MM, Hurst or Lambert! Of course hindsight is 20/20.

* I just remembered I got chastised by a few on here when I suggested his name before McCarthy.
You’re f**king crazy!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:30 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:22 pm
number 9 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:14 pm

You’re f**king crazy!
8)

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:47 pm

:lol: , I wasn’t sure if it was a recent statement so thought I’d put that question in. As for getting out of hand tang. I’m not sure on that front. Something’s got to change, either our performances or the manager. We could be mid table by mid December at the current rate, and more out injured than are fit to play. Lol

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:43 am

Has George really been out of management for ten years. Must have been considered here at some stage of that, pity we couldn't bring him in. Guess he didn't want a return to the forefront of coaching a team once more or decided he'd never be able to replicate here the heights reached at the turn of millennium.

Burley won't come back now, nice idea as it sounds the past is the past and in truth we need to focus on more viable routes ahead. Same with Royle, he put together an exciting team that was promotion material (despite not making it) but it's so many years on from what occurred it's another name or idea that is essentially dissolved.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:25 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:47 pm
:lol: , I wasn’t sure if it was a recent statement so thought I’d put that question in. As for getting out of hand tang. I’m not sure on that front. Something’s got to change, either our performances or the manager. We could be mid table by mid December at the current rate, and more out injured than are fit to play. Lol
No, I’m in agreement there needs a change. I just meant that now some are posting any old crap - I guess you saw that on TWTD before you forwarded it on. Why someone brought that quote into play on there when it’s over 3 years old and nothing to do with the current situation. We’ve been here before and it sometimes becomes silly season.

I just can’t see a way back for Lambert. Even two good wins this week and the anti- Lambert feeling will still be there.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:26 am

saint jude wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:43 am
Has George really been out of management for ten years.
January 2011 he left Palace, he did have that stint in Cyprus, but I'm not sure that really qualifies!

Quite amazing and bizarre that he kept having those issues and never quite got back in to a job after his spell at Southampton.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:21 am

I think George Burleys football management career is long gone, possibly caused by his excessive drinking which may have contributed to his downfall and premature disappearance from the game.

I have just read 'George Burley: Too many signings after making Europe cost us at Ipswich' at https://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth ... team-2000/.

It’s a very good read and don’t be put off by the heading, there’s some good stuff in there about George and in particular about some of the talent he’s nurtured especially during his time at Southampton as well as Town.

I thought you might enjoy reading it too, it is a very recent article dated October 2020.

I think it best we remember George Burley for all his good times at ITFC and leave it there. I certainly wouldn’t want him anywhere near the Managers chair these days.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:16 am

Same here Andy, way past his sell by date.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:18 am

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:25 am
hallamblue wrote:
No, I’m in agreement there needs a change. I just meant that now some are posting any old crap - I guess you saw that on TWTD before you forwarded it on. Why someone brought that quote into play on there when it’s over 3 years old and nothing to do with the current situation. We’ve been here before and it sometimes becomes silly season.

I just can’t see a way back for Lambert. Even two good wins this week and the anti- Lambert feeling will still be there.
Do you want me to answer why Tang?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:12 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:25 am
hallamblue wrote:

I’ll answer Mikes point lol. There are a load of knobs on TWTD tis true, but even though that Burley quote is 3 yrs old, in many ways the essence of it remains valid even today. Is GB the msn for the job? Not long term but caretaker role , maybe.

I agree with you Lambo has probably gone beyond the point of no return now , and I think it’s just a matter of time before he leaves . I’m sure there is a get out of jail clause for Evans . He’s no mug .

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:36 pm

Liz, I wouldn’t want to see George Burley anywhere near ITFC other than watching from the stands as a guest or as a match day ambassador.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:40 pm

lol , he's not that bad Andy , surely ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:58 pm

He's just liking the ale 🍺 lol