Current Injury List.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Current Injury List.

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:52 pm

There may be others but I’ve just seen this list elsewhere of Town players currently injured which is quite frightening just two months into the season. No surprise really that we’re struggling to score goals given that the list includes our Top 3 goal scorers Edwards, Bishop and Sears. Should we be cutting Paul Lambert some slack, because with the addition of a goalkeeper there’s a half decent team there.

Kane Vincent-Young,
James Wilson,
Toto Nsiala,
Teddy Bishop,
Cole Skuse,
Flynn Downes,
Emyr Huws,
Tristan Nydam,
Brett McGavin,
Gwion Edwards,
Freddie Sears,
James Norwood.

Tangfastic

Re: Current Injury List.

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:57 pm

On the surface, yes, it could be right that Lambert should be given a bit of slack due to the injury list.

But looking through that list, it’s more down to certain players who are injured, rather than the number of injuries.

Recently, Bishop and Edwards are out and we’ve missed them for their individual abilities- the only ones capable of beating defenders and making space. Our style of football is so lethargic and predictable we need a couple of players who can run at defences and do something unpredictable. why wasn’t Dobra brought into the squad earlier as back up for these players and given the odd 15-20 mins here and there to get him up to speed? Not just chuck him in from nowhere. Same with Gibbs.
We miss Downes as well. But he could well leave soon anyway. Did senior players like Huws and Nolan deputise well in his absence? And Norwood looked sharp on his return, but now we have 3 other strikers available, in fact, 2 experienced strikers on the bench. Apart from Gibbs, our bench was full of experience- we’re not completely down to the bare bones.

If we were better drilled and coached, maybe we wouldn’t be so reliant on a couple of individuals? We could out pass and move the opposition because we should be a better squad of players.

As for the injury list and link to COVID- surely other clubs have the same problem? Why do we get it worse than them? We’ve got a far bigger squad than pretty much any team and so we should be faring better. The fitness side of things is Lambert’s responsibility, too. He brought in Jim Henry as fitness coach who’s now suddenly gone. Was that an acknowledgment that we’ve got things wrong with the fitness?

At the moment, the injury list is pretty much all Lambert’s got. So we hang on till they’re all fit ( yeah right) and then we storm the league. Probably too late by then. The problem is that we’ve got short memories and Lambert proved he couldn’t get much out of the team last season. So why now? Too many questions and Lambert’s been here two years. It’s nearly a life-time in football.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:35 pm

Imagine having that many employees and them all unavailable to work. I’d cry myself to sleep every single night.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:24 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:52 pm

Kane Vincent-Young, *
James Wilson, ***
Toto Nsiala, ***
Teddy Bishop, *
Cole Skuse, ***
Flynn Downes, *
Emyr Huws, ***
Tristan Nydam,
Brett McGavin,
Gwion Edwards, *
Freddie Sears, *
James Norwood.*
* fully fit would be automatically in the first team . So effectively we have half our first team out injured , PLUS those who would likely be first off the bench ***

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:13 pm

Does this affect opinion of Lambert and the job he's doing? Or is he to be held accountable for not making strides to address a horrendous injury trend that has seemingly affected the club for years?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:30 pm

I've said that the Club are (IMO) unlikely to sack PL atm due to the injury crisis ( which to be fair is definitely affecting his ability to put a decent team, out), and that because of this injury situation , he actually has some level of plausible deniability doesn't he . However what he is responsible for is the crass tactics and decision making with the players he has got at his disposal.

The strength / fitness coach has effectively been sacked and it remains to be seen how this effects our injury list and the time players are out once they are injured. I fail to see how this individual can be kept on as an employee in a consultancy role, when he's job effectiveness appears to be in doubt. But this ITFC all over isn't it !

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:57 pm

Has he been sacked though? I read that he moved back to Scotland for 'personal reasons'. That could be anything, assisting a family member with cancer treatment for example. Maybe in the covid bubble being remote is not really any different. I don't know the answers but we should probably not make too many assumptions.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:13 pm

Knowing us he probably hasn’t been sacked , but it does seem REALLY odd that he’s gone back home just when there are a lot of questions being asked re injuries snd rehab times . The timing is uncanny really ..... who knows !?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:51 pm

7 of those on that list happened in games and McGavin is ill.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:52 pm

Yes true, but how long ware they going to take to get fit again? I would also say Norwood was on crutches just 2 weeks previous yet he’s suddenly “ fit” to play ? Lo snd behold he breaks down again. Our players seem to get injured far too easily and regularly . I appreciate there is a higher incidence at clubs in general atm but I’m not looking at this in a single season isolated situation Mike.

Players that have joined us over recent season seem to get injured and stay injured of get repeatedly injured , why? They leave this club and suddenly their injuries appear resolved. I’m just highlighting and questioning the trend that appears to be ongoing at ITFC . Wish I knew the answer and the club could sort it . We might actually have them s full strength side . Something I can’t recall the last time had tbh.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:43 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:52 pm
Yes true, but how long ware they going to take to get fit again? I would also say Norwood was on crutches just 2 weeks previous yet he’s suddenly “ fit” to play ? Lo snd behold he breaks down again. Our players seem to get injured far too easily and regularly . I appreciate there is a higher incidence at clubs in general atm but I’m not looking at this in a single season isolated situation Mike.

Players that have joined us over recent season seem to get injured and stay injured of get repeatedly injured , why? They leave this club and suddenly their injuries appear resolved. I’m just highlighting and questioning the trend that appears to be ongoing at ITFC . Wish I knew the answer and the club could sort it . We might actually have them s full strength side . Something I can’t recall the last time had tbh.
I think with the “currant” injury crisis, the other players should be “raisin” their game, Hallam. If only the “sultana”of Brunei could step in with some cash for that fantastic South Korean goalscorer, Sun Maid-Plum.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:40 pm

Ha ha , oh bollox to it :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:42 pm

Hallelujah......hallelujah.....hallelujah.......hallelujah........

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/492633/vin ... w-weeks/#0

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:50 am

Is there any news about Downes, Edwards, Bishop and Norwood about when they’re ready to return? Good news that KVY has returned to training- but doesn’t seem much news about the other four. Downes was supposed to be out for 2 months and that was 2 months ago. With little information it makes me thinking it’s quite a few weeks away for these players.

These 4 are key players. Whatever system we play or how poor we’re playing, they’ve got a bit of quality about them and should add something extra. I can’t say that Lambert’s strength is tactically out-manoeuvring the opposition and the best chance we’ve got is to simply get as many of our best players on the pitch... and then roll the dice.

As for KVY, I don’t know what we’ll get if and when he’s fit. A year’s a long time out injured.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:16 am

Still waiting to be convinced by KVY. Good going forward but we never saw him stretched as a defender. Hopefully he cn do the job; just saying we never really saw him having to defend.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:33 am

Andym wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:16 am
Still waiting to be convinced by KVY. Good going forward but we never saw him stretched as a defender. Hopefully he cn do the job; just saying we never really saw him having to defend.
He only has played 9 games for us - and 2 of them was when he limped of injured. So... I think we need to judge him a bit more cautiously and not one of our proven performers.

Personally, I’d play him out wide in front of Chambers. We’re lacking a threat out wide and someone with pace. He’s scored a couple of decent goals and he should be able to provide defensive cover. Depends on his fitness, though.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:05 pm

That's exactly where id like to play KVY tbh Tang. Not sure who he'd be pushing out of the team if he played there though (Lankester?)

I think there is a lot going on behind the scenes at this Club regarding fitness and rehab. And we don't appear to have a leader of that group now do we. I suspect as usual the Club will be trying to muddle through and Evans do it on the cheap. , which is false economy given the number of influential players put and for how long they have been out . Its just ridiculous .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:44 am

Just adding yet another injury ( long term), since we never get an injury of just a few days or a week do we!!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... eral-weeks

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:31 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:44 am
Just adding yet another injury ( long term), since we never get an injury of just a few days or a week do we!!

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... eral-weeks
I know you regularly comment on the injury situation. We seem to get a few groin problems - which I guess is part and parcel of the game, stretching, kicking etc puts a stain there. But do you think that there is either a training problem (that the muscles don't get sufficiently strengthened) or a warm-up issue?

I wonder if anyone (outside the club, who I hope would) has kept a record of the types of injuries we get.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:57 pm

I’d say a lot of our injuries are down to inadequate strengthening / conditioning. Things like groin strains for a professional footballer would be down to weakness from repetitive stress on the muscle/ tendon insertion point onto the bone. The same type of injury would be seen in say professional tennis players with lateral elbow pain...it’s an overuse injury. What feeds into any over use injuries is poor technique, poor equipment ( extrinsic factors, which can include, equipment used, playing surfaces), etc etc

So a footballer is always kicking balls time and time and again . That’s his job. A
The training staff / Owner need to ensure that extrinsic factors are the best available , so that’s training surfaces, gym equipment used, and intrinsic factors, ( conditioning methods, duration, intensity, loading, involved in training methods, and importantly rest periods between the types of training sessions an individual undertakes. It’s all science based now.

All of this is BEFORE a player gets injured. Then when they are injured, what does the medical staff do to rehabilitate a player? The body has a certain time span in which tissue injury repairs itself . By and large you can hurry it up too much, but you can hinder it. If you do the wrong thing ( loading?) at the wrong time. For instance I was amazed when Norwood was back in the team with a hamstring injury . They normally take 8-12 weeks to rehab. So IMO he was back in action too soon, and wasn’t &habilitated fully , so he gets injured again, ( usually worse and a longer lay off). Achilles’ tendons, can be several months. Bu5 say for KVY they question should be “ WHY” did he sustain a tendon injury having been out so long with a groin problem. I’m think , foot biomechanics issue ! Needing orthotics? ...lower limb biomechanics issue, ( weak glute medius, core weakness etc ). These are all things the rehab team and strengthening / training team should woods on JOINTLY.

Anyway, sorry , I’ve twitted on far too long. I know clubs are suffering injuries this season. But our lengthy injuries are every season not just this season. Which is why im so frustrated that the club aren’t sorting it out.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:30 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:57 pm
I’d say a lot of our injuries are down to inadequate strengthening / conditioning. Things like groin strains for a professional footballer would be down to weakness from repetitive stress on the muscle/ tendon insertion point onto the bone. The same type of injury would be seen in say professional tennis players with lateral elbow pain...it’s an overuse injury. What feeds into any over use injuries is poor technique, poor equipment ( extrinsic factors, which can include, equipment used, playing surfaces), etc etc

So a footballer is always kicking balls time and time and again . That’s his job. A
The training staff / Owner need to ensure that extrinsic factors are the best available , so that’s training surfaces, gym equipment used, and intrinsic factors, ( conditioning methods, duration, intensity, loading, involved in training methods, and importantly rest periods between the types of training sessions an individual undertakes. It’s all science based now.

All of this is BEFORE a player gets injured. Then when they are injured, what does the medical staff do to rehabilitate a player? The body has a certain time span in which tissue injury repairs itself . By and large you can hurry it up too much, but you can hinder it. If you do the wrong thing ( loading?) at the wrong time. For instance I was amazed when Norwood was back in the team with a hamstring injury . They normally take 8-12 weeks to rehab. So IMO he was back in action too soon, and wasn’t &habilitated fully , so he gets injured again, ( usually worse and a longer lay off). Achilles’ tendons, can be several months. Bu5 say for KVY they question should be “ WHY” did he sustain a tendon injury having been out so long with a groin problem. I’m think , foot biomechanics issue ! Needing orthotics? ...lower limb biomechanics issue, ( weak glute medius, core weakness etc ). These are all things the rehab team and strengthening / training team should woods on JOINTLY.

Anyway, sorry , I’ve twitted on far too long. I know clubs are suffering injuries this season. But our lengthy injuries are every season not just this season. Which is why im so frustrated that the club aren’t sorting it out.
I know, it’s been a talking point for a long while. McGoldrick and Webster are prime examples of miraculous recoveries when they leave the club. And ironically it’s the excuse of the number of injuries now that is keeping Lambert in his job.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:40 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:57 pm

That's brilliant. Thank you. Hopefully sometime someone at the club will act accordingly.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:12 pm

Clive Baker ex pro himself makes some valid points regarding ITFC and our ongoing injuries, ( see link below), Some which many of you know ( and no doubt get fed up with), banging on about . But I reiterate yet again ( 4 years on), there is something seriously and fundamentally wrong at this Club regarding our injuries, rehabilitation and overall strength/ conditioning approach.

Put simply, NO Town manager has a hope in hell working at this Club under Evans tenure.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/493806/6-i ... -games/#75

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:53 pm

The only manager who highlighted issues about sports science and wanted to address this was Paul Hurst.

Obviously he was a disaster. Did he have a point on this, though?

He brought in Nathan Winder who’s gone on to work in the PL at Sheffield United.

Very strange that at the time when fitness is vitally important we have our fitness coach leave - or officially continue his job remotely hundreds of miles away. A lot of things don’t add up.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:19 pm

I agree tang, I think there a lot going on behind the scenes at this Club and I’ll put money on ( sorry for the pun), that it all boils down as usual with us , to money !

Oh and yes, and i agree, I think there is a point to made that Hurst’ s tenure , disastrous as it appears, may have been central to all that’s wrong at ITFC. He came in a very quickly ruffled a lot of feathers. It wasn’t liked ( certainly by senior players), but maybe he trod of a few back room toes too? I wouldn’t mind betting that a lot of people within the game are not at surprised t9 see Town we’re they are now and of the real reasons why we are languishing in division three.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:57 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:12 pm
Clive Baker ex pro himself makes some valid points regarding ITFC and our ongoing injuries, ( see link below), Some which many of you know ( and no doubt get fed up with), banging on about . But I reiterate yet again ( 4 years on), there is something seriously and fundamentally wrong at this Club regarding our injuries, rehabilitation and overall strength/ conditioning approach.

Put simply, NO Town manager has a hope in hell working at this Club under Evans tenure.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/493806/6-i ... -games/#75
So Evans is to blame for all the injuries now ?
Then you go onto say NO town manager has a hope in hell but continually slate every Town manager there has been over the last number of years ?

I think its an absolute cert that managers of the calibre that Ipswich have had will be constantly looking at how they can improve the injury situation. Its standard practice at any professional football club.

Clive Baker a blast from the past. Had a great season in 92-93 campaign. Looks like he has been throwing his toys out of the pram recently

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:00 pm

Troll!

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:42 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:00 pm
Troll!
Nah its just your diversionary tactics

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:33 pm

So is it my “divisional tactics “ then when I tell you the father in law of a previous Town player but who is now manager at another Club, when asked if he would want to return to Town, said to his family that he’d never return to this Club whilst Evans was owner?

I think you are a Troll . And if ever there’s a poster on here looking to divide , it’s you. I’m not the only one you’ve picked a fight with, the difference is you don’t push your luck with a moderator ( who has already warned you).

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:32 am

Hawkins out for 6 weeks now, undergone a Knee op.