How lucky are we with League One midweek results.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

How lucky are we with League One midweek results.

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:18 am

How crazy is this League ?..... last weekend we lose at home to Charlton, and this evening Charlton lose at home to MK Dons 0-1 !

Also very helpful tonight is Wimbledon winning 2-1 against a Peterborough. These two results help us to keep in touch with the teams immediately above us in the table.

Not to mention of course last nights games in which Portsmouth lost 1-0 at Blackpool, Fleetwood losing 1-0 at Northampton and Sunderland only managing a 1-1 draw at home to Burton. Results couldn’t possibly have gone better for us and keep us well in touch with the Top 6.

Dubai Blue

Re: How lucky are we with League One midweek results.

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:29 am

You are absolutely right Charnwood. Furthermore let us take note that we are not the only side who is not finding this league to be straightforward. We are in a battle for promotion with a number of other clubs and cannot expect to get it all our own way any more than they can. I think we sometimes have the view that we are somehow superior to the clubs around us in the table but the evidence suggests that we are not.

Our record against top six sides so far this season is very poor but on the other hand our record at grinding out results against lower sides is actually much better than most, possibly only Hull have done even better against lower sides. 3 points is 3 points whoever you get it against and most of the league is not top 6.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:05 am

Well, that there lies the problem for me. I DO see Ipswich Town FC as superior. WAY more superior than the other sh*te in the table. Fleetwood, Crewe, Swindon, Bristol Rovers etc etc etc etc.

And it's not a lot to do with past history. It's about being in the higher tiers for almost 60 years and now Wycombe Wanderers and Luton Town are feckin higher. I bet Wolves , Man City , Forest and even Coventry City fans all believed they were superior than the dross around them when lurking in the 3rd & 4th divisions.

To be perfectly honest, I have no idea at all why Ipswich are absolute sh*te now; the demise can actually make you feel emotional, ........., but they'll be infinitely more superior than Doncaster Rovers, Shrewsbury and Saturdays opponents, Plymouth Ar effin gyle! Who?

When will the day's end when Ipswich Town can stop relying on FKING WIMBLEDON beating Peterborough to help the cause? :twisted:

"We've got no divine right..........." ------------>>>>> FK off

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:14 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:29 am
You are absolutely right Charnwood. Furthermore let us take note that we are not the only side who is not finding this league to be straightforward. We are in a battle for promotion with a number of other clubs and cannot expect to get it all our own way any more than they can. I think we sometimes have the view that we are somehow superior to the clubs around us in the table but the evidence suggests that we are not.

Our record against top six sides so far this season is very poor but on the other hand our record at grinding out results against lower sides is actually much better than most, possibly only Hull have done even better against lower sides. 3 points is 3 points whoever you get it against and most of the league is not top 6.
Yes, I agree with you that it shouldn’t be a walkover, but it’s up to us deal with that and set our own destiny - not just rely on other clubs slipping up and beating crap sides.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:54 am

Problem is , Town are incapable of taking any advantage from other teams demise , are they.

This is such a PITA of a division. No quality . No out and out good sides. its just who can be the most consistent at getting points. Hull exemplify this . They're nothing special but they are picking up points every week from quite ordinary performances. Town even with regular players in the team I doubt can do this.

Its nauseating and frustrating tbh .

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:02 pm

Actually I thought that earlier in the season that's exactly what we were doing, picking up points every week from quite ordinary performances. And where were Hull then? The same week were beating Blackpool 4-1 Hull were being tonked by Fleetwood 1-4. It's a long season. We need improvement that's for sure but there are twists and turns left and our best goalscorer and creative players still to return.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:50 pm

you are sounding exactly as I normally sound Dubai, and in all probability its a fair stance, sadly this season we can take zero risk where promotion is concerned and while I accept the injury list is horrendous I cannot accept sh*te team line ups, sh*te tactics, inept substitutions, inability to change game plans and embarrassing interviews from our manager, whether we agree with it or not he has lost the fans, it only ends one way, he HAS to go now.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:13 pm

There is certainly an inconsistency in results. We should all know that from the prediction league. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to take advantage of those because our form is so consistently poor. Obviously, we need a win against Plymouth.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:51 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:13 pm
There is certainly an inconsistency in results. We should all know that from the prediction league. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to take advantage of those because our form is so consistently poor. Obviously, we need a win against Plymouth.
There’s not an inconsistency in results - we’re very consistent in not winning against top end sides and we tend to get our victories against bottom end sides. Hence our 11th place position last season. And we’ve consistently gone off well from the start and teams have worked us out pretty quickly. This is last season and now. Work it out ..... we’re very consistent

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:58 am

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:51 pm
number 9 wrote:
There’s not an inconsistency in results - we’re very consistent in not winning against top end sides and we tend to get our victories against bottom end sides. Hence our 11th place position last season. And we’ve consistently gone off well from the start and teams have worked us out pretty quickly. This is last season and now. Work it out ..... we’re very consistent
Inconsistent results for the league in general...didn’t I say we are consistently poor? Did you read the whole post?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:27 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:58 am
tangfastic wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:51 pm
number 9 wrote:
Inconsistent results for the league in general...didn’t I say we are consistently poor? Did you read the whole post?
Sorry, 9. You’re right, I didn’t read it through :)