Marcus makes a Statement......

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Marcus makes a Statement......

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:39 pm

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Marcus makes a Statement......

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:52 pm

Blah blah blah. We need to get behind Lambert then cus he sure as hell ain't going anywhere any time soon

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:32 pm

Christ if we are on the right track now god help us if things take a turn for the worse.
What a load of BS.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:37 pm

The green shoots he’s seeing are not corresponding with matchday thread posts from the likes of Bluemike, IpswichTownNo1, Tangfastic, AndyM etc etc etc.

Which can only mean one thing to me as a NON i-follower ...... those 4 mentioned above know Fk all! :P

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:08 pm

"I have a detailed view of all of the facts as to what is best for the club", Yes you could f*ck off and leave, best course of action. Saw this earlier but gave it another read, like Evans you wonder why you bother.

Disingenuous sh*t-wibble. Ever notice how the owner only speaks out when the club is near it's lowest point or going through a period of maelstrom. Almost devoid of tangible passion or a real sincerity of ambition and many rightly have had enough and dismiss these statements out of hand.

Not enough hours in the day to criticize certain aspects of the club set-up. Not much else to add to this issue, hollow words from a hollow individual. Many have been with it long enough to read between the lines and see it for how it is. If - or when - the club falls into the fourth league of the spectrum you'd expect Evans to surface again and ready another chapter of transparent indignities. Apologize Evans if you're reading, but then again, you won't be.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:49 am

When I read the topic heading I was really looking forward to reading whatever it was he wanted to share with us, but, having read it I couldn’t believe how little I learned about where we are, where we want to be and how we plan to get there. But instead I read a number of statements that bare no resemblance to what I witness following ITFC of late, I mean really Marcus do you really believe.....

1) We will progress through skilful team management...

2 The manager, coaching staff, captain and players are all doing everything that I have asked of them in building a foundation for the future

3 Everything I have seen close at hand, behind the scenes and on matchdays this season gives me confidence... blah, blah, blah...

Surely you don’t believe all this Marcus, or is this your way of saying, I’ve invested enough in this football club, no more guys.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:16 am

All I can see is that the usual infighting that occurs on TWTD has totally disappeared and that forum is 100% unified against Marcus Evans. I think he’s totally misjudged just how pissed off the fans really are. I think this might escalate now into full out war against the owner. It’s been a long time coming . I think the Club should be thankful only 2k fans are allowed in the ground at the next home game !

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:13 am

I read it the first time and felt the same blah blah blah - move in feeling that others have suggested. However, in second reading, the 'be careful what you wish for' is actually a real dig at the fans who had had enough of McCarthy and is a real poke in the eye! Given that it was evans who appointed Keane, Jewel, McCarthy, hurst and now Lambert, to try and point the finger back at us and suggest that he won't make that mistake again is hugely disingenuous. It really feels, following Lamberts post Oxford comment and now this that they are approaching some kind of siege mentality (as did McCarthy at the end of his term) and are actually starting to oppose the fans. For Evans to also say that he had the deep facts that he draws upon to make the best decision for the club is also a bit like 'hiding your hand' when playing cards. Sirely we, the paying fans have a right to see some (not all of course) of those facts? The bit about green shoots, i could forgive if we were consistent and at a level we were all happy with but given 15 years (or more) of constant decline, quite frankly you could even identify the fact that they painted the turnstiles and cleaned the roof as some sick form of green shoots...? As Mike says, Lambert is going nowhere fast and i fear that this is Lambert and Evans drawing their battle lines. What happens next depends on results and the actions (not words) of the fan base. Sad times but interesting ones too....

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:23 am

It’s all very well to turn against the owner but without a buyer in sight he is our only option. I think the guy is well intended but like most businessmen is fed up losing money. Unfortunately payback in football requires huge investment even more so in Covid times, sadly with our large squad and more than our fair share of players not earning their money our situation is dire.

My guess is that Marcus Evans understands completely the situation he’s in but has tried to camouflage it with waffle which has backfired because it’s made him look completely out of touch.

I just hope we can survive for a couple of seasons without further decline in the hope that the tide will turn.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:16 am

Worse still is on reading it 3 times I genuinely don't think they are even worried if we don't go up this season, it reads like a plan is in place which could take a few seasons to get us back up.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:34 am

The watershed is the coming this summer when 50% of the squad are out of contract. Many are no good anyway, but amongst them are some jewels , all of whom. Will walk away. From ME’s point of view, “ happy days” for the majority of his financial commitment. Then the wage cap will kick in and we will have lost any potential financial advantage over the 90% of this division we have had. We will be well and truly a 3rd Division outfit in every sense of the word. Game over as far I can see.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:40 am

Well at least people are reading this crap for what it is this time, an attempt to hush the fans a little while they continue to run the club poorly.

I nearly tore my hair out when he did his little staged interview about what was being done to get the club back on the right path. Not all, but many lapped that salesman talk right up, I'm glad that doesn't seem to be the case now.

Marcus, you'd get more people on side with truth, supporters are not naive, they may have been last time, or blinded by hope, but not this time, call a spade a spade, say that we're in a deep pile of league 1 excrement and that it's not good enough, be one of the fans.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:03 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:16 am
......it reads like a plan is in place....
What are they all about with their plans and 5 point plans etc? If a plan is in place then these people must've sat around discussing stuff and that, for me, is sounding like a scene from "Life of Brian".

ME: Right, so that's it settled then, the plan is complete. You all know what to do.
PL: I'll make it a part of the plan to look at how formations work.
ME: What? You've been here two years?
PL: Aye. And?
ME: I extended your stay until 2025?
PL: Aye, because I played for Dortmund, your point is?
ME: My point is, you should know about formations. I don't ask you to do my VAT return do I?
PL: Why would you do that?
ME: I DON'T do that because you don't know how to do it. I pay you to know formations!
PL: Aye, And I'll know more about formations when I've finished reading about tactics on Wikipedia
ME: WHAT? You don't know about tactics either?
PL: Well apparently they coincide with formations and I can only read one wiki at a time.
ME: I don't believe this.
PL: Naw man, it's true. If I play a 5-3-2 and Cole is.......
ME: I MEAN........ I mean I don't believe you're still learning this. That's NOT part of the plan for Gods Sake.
PL: Aye ah know that. What is the plan by the way?
ME: Well the NEW plan is I go out to the media and make up sh*t about "a plan" that's going well.
PL: Tell them I know stuff and played for big teams like St Mirren & Dortmund.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:29 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Worse still is on reading it 3 times I genuinely don't think they are even worried if we don't go up this season, it reads like a plan is in place which could take a few seasons to get us back up.
That’s exactly what I got out of it.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:45 pm

It's league 1 FFS, and with the players we've had at our disposal, it's not rocket science is it. Recruit a high quality balanced squad (easy when you have championship caliber players already at the club and more pulling power than just about any team in the division), pick a team and a style of playing, keep the players fit, happy and motivated.

There. Done. A plan that I've just pulled out my arse and it trumps whatever they've managed in the 18 months or whatever it's been that we've been a league 1 club. 3 years plans, building for the future, bullshit, it's football, just stick 11 decent blokes on the pitch, light a fire under their arses and away you go, more success than the sh*te we've had to endure, Ipswich have been truly apaling at times, no excuses.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:08 pm

Ricco wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:45 pm
It's league 1 FFS, and with the players we've had at our disposal, it's not rocket science is it. Recruit a high quality balanced squad (easy when you have championship caliber players already at the club and more pulling power than just about any team in the division), pick a team and a style of playing, keep the players fit, happy and motivated.

There. Done. A plan that I've just pulled out my arse and it trumps whatever they've managed in the 18 months or whatever it's been that we've been a league 1 club. 3 years plans, building for the future, bullshit, it's football, just stick 11 decent blokes on the pitch, light a fire under their arses and away you go, more success than the sh*te we've had to endure, Ipswich have been truly apaling at times, no excuses.
Exactly. Sort of what I was talking about with the behind the scenes mock “plan” conversation between Mevans & Lambert.

STFU about plans and just get it done.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:08 pm

There. Done. A plan that I've just pulled out my arse and it trumps whatever they've managed in the 18 months or whatever it's been that we've been a league 1 club. 3 years plans, building for the future, bullsh*t, it's football, just stick 11 decent blokes on the pitch, light a fire under their arses and away you go, more success than the sh*te we've had to endure, Ipswich have been truly apaling at times, no excuses.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:34 pm

Ricco wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:08 pm

d.

There. Done. A plan that I've just pulled out my arse and it trumps .......... whatever they've managed
Sorry but I did laugh at that line :lol:

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:03 am
Bluemike wrote:
......it reads like a plan is in place....
What are they all about with their plans and 5 point plans etc? If a plan is in place then these people must've sat around discussing stuff and that, for me, is sounding like a scene from "Life of Brian".

ME: Right, so that's it settled then, the plan is complete. You all know what to do.
PL: I'll make it a part of the plan to look at how formations work.
ME: What? You've been here two years?
PL: Aye. And?
ME: I extended your stay until 2025?
PL: Aye, because I played for Dortmund, your point is?
ME: My point is, you should know about formations. I don't ask you to do my VAT return do I?
PL: Why would you do that?
ME: I DON'T do that because you don't know how to do it. I pay you to know formations!
PL: Aye, And I'll know more about formations when I've finished reading about tactics on Wikipedia
ME: WHAT? You don't know about tactics either?
PL: Well apparently they coincide with formations and I can only read one wiki at a time.
ME: I don't believe this.
PL: Naw man, it's true. If I play a 5-3-2 and Cole is.......
ME: I MEAN........ I mean I don't believe you're still learning this. That's NOT part of the plan for Gods Sake.
PL: Aye ah know that. What is the plan by the way?
ME: Well the NEW plan is I go out to the media and make up sh*t about "a plan" that's going well.
PL: Tell them I know stuff and played for big teams like St Mirren & Dortmund.

Love this Marko :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:12 am

Saw this post on TWTD and found it completely uplifting because I think he’s probably actually spot on . Thought I’d share it here .......

It’s from the poster Budgieplucker:

“I would suggest that it’s the senior players that need to perform

This is really good news.

I have been watching the U23 games for a number of years before the pandemic and to be honest it’s been an absolute pleasure seeing some of those games and watching the development of the young players.

Yes they have to be good enough and whilst I am a great fan of players like Idris and Dobs, I do agree with PL there are times when they have to go out on loan to prove they can cut it at a lower level. Dobs is nowhere near ready for regular first team action, that’s not the lads fault, but I somehow think his inclusion the other night was a subtle token gesture from PL to the fans to say well OK given the circumstances I will let you make your judgement. He was no worse than Alan Judge has been.

But going on to the other youngsters, Downes was arguably our best and most consistent player Last season. Bish at times has been outstanding this season. Andre has been given a run in probably his best position and showing great promise to silence his critics. The talent is there but Andre hasn’t always been given the right opportunities, he played a similar role for the young England side, so for us now a round peg in a round hole..

So I am thrilled with this news.

I don’t share all the doom and gloom at the moment, yes I may not be PLs biggest fan and am as frustrated with him as many are. I never believe that there was much wrong with the player development side of things with the excellence of Bryan Klug and his team.

As a lifelong fan of some 60+ years I have been privileged to have seen the very best of this football club. Seeing our own youngsters improve and play in the first team is one of the most enjoyable aspects of supporting this club.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and in this tough game managers do have to be accountable for their results as many supporters have to make choices whether the are getting value for money or would it be better spent for the benefits of their family.

However, if it takes a little longer to get out of this league then so be it if our young talent is improving.

We do though have to allow our youngsters to make mistakes. Young McGuiness although not ours was being criticised in recent weeks. This reminds me so much of watching a young Terry Butcher who at times was so raw I really didn’t think he was going to make it but with perseverance he turned out to be one helluva defender. I have no doubt McGuiness will go on to be a damn good player. Everyone loves Woolfie, me too but he has not been faultless and can be blamed for the goal against the other day (as well as others) but hey I think he will go on to become another great player. PL is right in not letting him get too carried away and do I think he is ready for the premiership, No.

Tristram Nydam, never let us down whilst playing in the Championship and when recovered will be another real good talent who I believe can at develop into at least a good championship level player.

I think we may have also hit upon something with young Aaron “Shefki” Drinan. This lad is like a double dose of Duracell. Fans will always warm to tireless levels of effort and this lad gives this in abundance.

Then there is young Jack Lankester, a bit hit or miss but give him time blood him carefully and he will be another.

I have been one of MEs biggest critics, I am not necessarily convinced by PL, but given what his brief is I do have sympathy with a manager who clearly works hard and did so much to try and get fans back on side. Reintroducing the Community Trust.........that needs to be applauded.

ME’s business has probably been hit harder than most by this pandemic, but getting Andre signed up is not the sign of an owner who does not care about this club. You or I may not like the fact that Ipswich Town is effectively a subsidiary of the ME group which must be having hard times at the moment but it also does have some advantages at this moment providing a level of security that many other clubs would die for. We should stop dreaming about being bought by an Arab sheik to become a play thing that an owner gets bored with after a couple of years and having wanted to change our name to the Ipswich Oiler’s

I will continue to moan and be frustrated but in a reserved way, I look at the Derby’s and Forest’s of this world, Clubs that I compare ourselves with and throwing Loads of money at it rarely buys you sustainable success..

We don’t have a divine right to success on our size and past history, we should be very respectful to all clubs in this league who are having a bash at making a go of it and survive. I think the recent Jimmy Walker comment was out of order. I take my hat off to Wimbledon supporters who have helped their club back from the long haul of falling into the abyss. I felt emotional for them that they have now returned to be able to play home games in their home town in Wimbledon at a new ground in Plough Lane so close to the site of their previously demolished stadium.

I for one will not be calling for the Managers head until I see how the rest of this season plays out. I did that once before when the great Bobby Robson was in charge and boy was I made to eat my words.

Oh and on a final note, Andre my son that was a silly tackle to attempt the other night - but I am sure you now know that and will have learnt another exoerience that will hopefully allow you to go on developing into a better player.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:47 am

An excellent post by a very knowledgeable poster for a change.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:25 pm

Fantastic comments and certainly food for thought for all of us, especially the "Bobby Robson" paragraph.
If we can hold on to our better younger players, perhaps in a season or so we can start to benefit from them playing together as a team?
In fairness, a lot of perceived issues come via players who should have the experience and desire to be better; Huws, Judge, Sears, three players who have not done anything particularly outstanding this season! While it has been said "you won't win anything with kids", i will not be sorry to see these 3 players ushered out of the door at (or before) the seasons end (sadly, as i have always liked Freddie).

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:38 pm

Yep, credit where credit is due and that was a decent post by that person, Hallam. Made me feel bad about the level of criticism I’ve personally been heaping on Lambert. But in my own defence; it’s only ever been press conference based...... not the actual football.

Marcus....... get Lambert a media coach. Fking sorted. 👍👌

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:39 pm

I have also read this more rhan once agree that injuries have decimated the squad, which let's be honest, must have a knock-on affect on the pitch. I also can understand & support the long term plans for the club. I am however always mindful that despite his c*ck-ups, Marcus Evans saved this club from probable extinction & has the right as owner to do things, rightly or wrongly, his way.

All achievement of the above is only possible however with the right manager to implement things.
This appears to be not happening at present with the relationship between manager & fans rapidly worsening.

So here is a suggestion (for which I expect criticism). As ME has made it clear that Lambert will not be sacked why don't all fans accept the reality of the affect of injuries on results, stop slagging off tactics & openly support the manager.

It's a bit barmy, but surely anything is worth a try.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:43 pm

Problem with that Billy is when a tactic ain’t working and a manager clearly replaces a player which can be deemed “like for like”, effectively changing no tactic whatsoever when under the cosh, (Doncaster game springs to mind) ——-> very difficult to openly “support”.
Great to support, always is....... but a stadium full of happy clappers would be absolutely HORRIFIC.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:56 am

Really enjoyed that quoted post. And strongly relate to large parts of it.

I would just add that in defence of the 'happy slaggers', those who are in my view far too quick to slag off the manager or owner and express an opinion that may well be backed by zero actual knowledge or experience, we are living though difficult times and the effects are not always so easy to recognise. None of us have been able to watch ITFC in the flesh for well over half a year now. We are being forced to endure iFollow (if we can afford it) or just read other opinions on here or elsewhere.

This narrow focus on our team and in our lives in general is bound to increase frustration and reduce considered analysis of multiple factors. The quoted post opens up more perspective and we would all do well to take a few deep breaths and approach our support of the club this way.

PL is a perfectly capable and competent manager. He's not a Klopp or a Mourinho but he knows the job and is doing it effectively at the moment. You might want to nitpick about this or that tactic but we are third and with the players we have had available and the disruptions (sometimes self inflicted - yes I'm looking at you Andre) that's not half bad.

I'm with Barmy Billy, we really need to refocus on the long term plan, that is working to bring forward a young and exciting side and see what we can achieve with it over the next few years. If we get some success this year then that will be great.

I really hope that when we get back into the grounds and see how some of our youngsters are performing we might see things a little differently.

Let's make sure that Lambert feels like Klopp did after their first game with a crowd. Then we really can be (at least 2000 of us) a 12th man. If I see or hear protests at the Pompey game at the weekend I will truly be disillusioned by what being a football fan is all about.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:19 am

Great Post Dubai, sadly I have been led to believe that some form of protest is planned for Saturday, I sincerely hope it's nothing more than gossip.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:20 pm

Yes I half expected this tbh , and its really not what we need right now is it .And the ting is , it'll only be a half dozen or so of that 2k that will make , unfortunately the most (wrong) noise.

NB very good post DB and I do agree with it , even if I am frustrated by Town's hit and miss performances this season. But like you say ...were 3rd even with the big injury list , so PL cant be doing that bad , can he ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:49 pm

Ok. I’m on board with all this cozy cuddling.
Let’s hope he continues with Alan Judge in midfield until next May....... AND NO COMPLAINING!!!......., or Lambo may become despondent in pressers.

Unbelievable. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

But am on board...... onto Pompey and praying 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏, for the three points.

Cue the post:
“Who’d you replace judge with?”

No idea at all. But I’d replace your worcester with an Ideal Logic max c30 complete with magnetic filter to comply with 10 years warranty. 👌

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:30 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:49 pm
Cue the post:
“Who’d you replace judge with?”
Easy. Dobra. :wink: