Paul Hurst

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tinytown

Paul Hurst

Post by Tinytown » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:39 pm

Has returned as Grimsby manager where he started. If only he had never left via Shrewsbury and ended up at Town we we would not be in the position we are in now. ME must regret ever employing him. And let's be honest who in there right mind, because there were Town fans who think they know everything, thought he was the Messiah. They must cringe everytime they here his name..Those Town fans obviously know nothing about football.
Last edited by Tinytown on Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

barmy billy

Re: Paul Hurst

Post by barmy billy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:32 pm

And you clearly do!!

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:49 pm

No not at all Billy.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:01 pm

It’s wind up from a non Town fan who we should rename Tinytit.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:20 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:39 pm
Has returned as Grimsby manager where he started. If only he had never left via Shrewsbury and ended up at Town we we would not be in the position we are in now. ME must regret ever employing him. And let's be honest who in there right mind, because there were Town fans who think they know everything, thought he was the Messiah. They must cringe everytime they here his name..Those Town fans obviously know nothing about football.
I disagreed with MM getting pushed out by fans and for me that is the root of the issue with Ipswich.
Hugely unpopular on this forum for saying it but be that as it may why do you say Hurst was a poor appointment.
His record for a young manager was impressive and no worse than many young managers who have went on to be a resounding success.
Evans has been very unlucky in his choice of manager. He has went with tried and tested, guys who have won the Championship and it didn't work out.
He appointed Hurst as an up and coming young manager who had done a superb job at Shrewsbury.
Signing policy was the issue not the appointment in the first place ?

Would really like to see Paul Hurst get up and running again. I'm sure he will.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:23 am

Whilst I’m reasonably confident we’d still be in the Championship playing boring football had MM stayed, it was he himself who chose to p*ss off the fans who did little more than retaliate to his disparaging comments. I was a long time supporter of him but even I was glad to see the back of him in the end.

As for Paul Hurst, in my opinion he was a one season wonder at Shrewsbury and a shocking appointment. The Championship is one of the most difficult leagues in the football world to gain promotion from and not a place for rookies to learn their trade. Paul Hursts experience was Ilkeston Town, Boston United and Grimsby Town (all non league), followed by a few games in League Two with Grimsby before his couple of years at Shrewsbury. That in my opinion was nowhere near enough preparation or experience to take over a struggling Championship club which soon became apparent given his almost ridiculous signings which on their own signalled his naivety.

Paul Hurst may well bounce back and I wish him well, however zi don’t expect to see him managing at Championship level anytime soon.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:38 am

Hurst had all the credentials many fans were looking for, myself included. A young, up and coming manager seemed the right choice to help reboot the club after MM’s reign came to an end. Unfortunately it all went horribly wrong mostly due to Hurst’s clear out of experienced players, but later reports suggested many of them wanted to leave. As valleyroad says, ME has been incredibly unlucky with manager appointments and as a result he tightened the strings on transfer money. Underachieving managers with little money created the accelerated down fall we now find ourselves in. I’d still take our current position for the great history and successes of ITFC over the yellow sh*t down the road any day of the fuckin week!

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:00 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:23 am
Whilst I’m reasonably confident we’d still be in the Championship playing boring football had MM stayed, it was he himself who chose to p*ss off the fans who did little more than retaliate to his disparaging comments. I was a long time supporter of him but even I was glad to see the back of him in the end.

As for Paul Hurst, in my opinion he was a one season wonder at Shrewsbury and a shocking appointment. The Championship is one of the most difficult leagues in the football world to gain promotion from and not a place for rookies to learn their trade. Paul Hursts experience was Ilkeston Town, Boston United and Grimsby Town (all non league), followed by a few games in League Two with Grimsby before his couple of years at Shrewsbury. That in my opinion was nowhere near enough preparation or experience to take over a struggling Championship club which soon became apparent given his almost ridiculous signings which on their own signalled his naivety.

Paul Hurst may well bounce back and I wish him well, however zi don’t expect to see him managing at Championship level anytime soon.
So how would you have felt if Frank Lampard had been appointed manager at Ipswich instead of Derby County ? What experience did he have. Every manager appointment has an element of gamble as has every player signed.
Jack Ross was also in the running for the Ipswich job and again for me would have been a decent appointment at the time.
Evans went in a different direction which was demanded by many and appointed someone who had served his time well and was ripe for a chance at the Championship. Unfortunately for Marcus Evans it didn't work out once again.
I actually feel sorry for Evans as I think he has been very pragmatic in his choice of manager but it just hasn't worked out, not quite 100% sure why.
I don't think its all financial either as many of these managers other than MM have struggled at the lower end of the league. Getting out of the Championship is not all about finance as has been proved over the years.
Last edited by valleyroad on Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:07 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:38 am
Hurst had all the credentials many fans were looking for, myself included. A young, up and coming manager seemed the right choice to help reboot the club after MM’s reign came to an end. Unfortunately it all went horribly wrong mostly due to Hurst’s clear out of experienced players, but later reports suggested many of them wanted to leave. As valleyroad says, ME has been incredibly unlucky with manager appointments and as a result he tightened the strings on transfer money. Underachieving managers with little money created the accelerated down fall we now find ourselves in. I’d still take our current position for the great history and successes of ITFC over the yellow sh*t down the road any day of the fuckin week!
Absolutely 9, I too thought he was just what we were looking for given that most Town fans at the time were all in favour of a change in direction and to try something new, Hurst had most of the attributes we were looking for and to take Shrewsbury to the play off final that year when they had been favourites to go down was quite something, I don't for one second believe that anyone though he was the "Messiah" but at the time he was sought after by a fair few clubs.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:58 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:39 pm
Didn't even known Hurst was ever at Grimsby. Came from Shrewsbury and didn't give it much other thought. Yes Yes in retrospect it were a colossal f*ck up bringing him in (here) but many were skeptical when the appointment was made. Got out of his depth in a higher league in a very short space of time. Kind of surprised the owner acted when he did, more often than not (Evans) allows managers here to continue to underperform and turn a blind eye but guess you can make an exception some time, Hurst's record with us was nothing short of appalling I'll allow it that.

Don't believe for one moment any supporter of this club believed the name in question to be a club savior or messiah as mentioned, I think the latter was used for McCarthy's tenure at times and even that now appears absurd. Mind you some still have a hard-on for McCarthy and won't let it go, you got to realize, time to move on.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:48 pm

My God, saw the title, thought he was on his way back. What a fright.

Just out of curiosity, Tinytown..... here in Edinburgh we have HMFC who play at Tynecastle, abbreviated to “tiny” but spelt Tyny.
You a tiny Ipswich jambo?

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:46 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:48 pm
My God, saw the title, thought he was on his way back. What a fright.

Just out of curiosity, Tinytown..... here in Edinburgh we have HMFC who play at Tynecastle, abbreviated to “tiny” but spelt Tyny.
You a tiny Ipswich jambo?
Afraid not sir. Town fan only of just 42 years. Even though that has been questioned by a Moderator who verbally insulted me. Nice way to encourage new posters. The Team in Scotland i always look for results wise is Rangers.....sorry.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:59 pm

Genuinely was sorry to see the demise of Rangers Football Club. They were definitely one of the worlds better known football clubs.

But I suppose if you’re continuing to follow the new Sevco Football Club, you’ll be hoping Stevie G can win their FIRST EVER trophy with the SPL. They’re looking formidable indeed. Lennon may get his jotters today if it turns out embarrassing.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:30 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Dec 31, 2020 10:23 am
A perfect summary of why he had to go. I can understand those who think he should have stayed because he might have kept us up, but the atmosphere was as awful as the football and, as you say, it was largely of his own making.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:28 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:59 pm
Genuinely was sorry to see the demise of Rangers Football Club. They were definitely one of the worlds better known football clubs.

But I suppose if you’re continuing to follow the new Sevco Football Club, you’ll be hoping Stevie G can win their FIRST EVER trophy with the SPL. They’re looking formidable indeed. Lennon may get his jotters today if it turns out embarrassing.
Celtic were the better team today until the sending off.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:21 pm

Yes, they were better going forward obviously, but The Sevco were brilliant in defence and GK, McGregor was in superb form. In fact he was the deciding factor.

Going back to the thread title...... great result for Grimsby. 👍👌👏👏👏👏

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:46 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:21 pm
Yes, they were better going forward obviously, but The Sevco were brilliant in defence and GK, McGregor was in superb form. In fact he was the deciding factor.

Going back to the thread title...... great result for Grimsby. 👍👌👏👏👏👏
:lol: Yes, not surprising though is it.