Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we go for another Burton?

Burton Win
36%
Ipswich Win
45%
Draw
18%

Total votes: 11

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:51 pm

84 lol

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:01 pm

There's only seconds left no need to waste any more time on this. Other results in the top six didn't go our way but nothing new. There you have it the game is over and we won 1 - 0.

Probably not the most convincing display from either side in fact it all sounded a bit messy with fouls and bookings a plenty but just relief to get the win and still in with a very good opportunity of a play-off shot or even automatic promotion but not prepared to get ahead of one's self.

Try and get highlights some time later but guessing there really isn't much to see other than the one goal itself. Another defeat against a bottom three team would have been unacceptable. Lambert has a little more room to maneuver, pleased for him in a way. You may not like him but has been under serious pressure the last few weeks. May have bought a little more time for himself from today.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:03 pm

Thank god for the win! It was always gonna be hard for players coming back. It'll take a few games for them to get 90mins fit again. Good to keep a clean sheet, but we'll have to play better overall if we want anything from Peterborough and Sunderland.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:04 pm

Despite the win, I am off the opinion that there’s only one way we are getting out of the league. I’ve never felt like that before. Shocking

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:09 pm

I feel ashamed, but when that goal went in i just thought “More Paul Lambert” and got no joy whatsoever. After 10 minutes in the second half I’d had enough. Just poured the wine/beers more frequently. Burton brought us down to their level and I’m not sure how far they even brought us down. Awful game where probably no-one deserved to score or win.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:13 pm

Sadly Tang ashamed or not it sounds like he's going nowhere just yet so maybe the best we can hope for is scraping into the play offs but yes we need to do a lot better than that.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:16 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:18 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:40 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:58 pm
Lambert was saying yesterday that he learned - from 5-6 years back - not to change team shape or tactics because it confuses the players.
If Lambert said that, just sack the arsehole before kick off.

And ITNO1........ ye cannae be annoyed ALL FECKIN WEEK???? Life’s too short, dude.
:lol: trust me, it realky REALLY pissed me off last saturday. Didnt want to even think of itfc cos every time i did i wanted to kick the dog, and i dont have one!!!
You returned after a week and said you’ll take the 1-0 ....... it happened. Ok, it sounded an absolutely feckin miserable performance, but, it happened. :lol: 👍👏👏👏

On a SERIOUS note, nice win but Lambert the 100% fk OUT.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:17 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:09 pm
I feel ashamed, but when that goal went in i just thought “More Paul Lambert” and got no joy whatsoever. After 10 minutes in the second half I’d had enough. Just poured the wine/beers more frequently. Burton brought us down to their level and I’m not sure how far they even brought us down. Awful game where probably no-one deserved to score or win.
I’m not sure it wasn’t us dragging them down to our level.
Just heard a joke on a radio Suffolk. It started “If we win our next two against Peterborough and Sunderland....”

Feeling really depressed after watching that. I’m struggling to think of anyone outside the back 4 who had a half decent game.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:22 pm

Just wondering, how many players played having come back from injury?

How many games is that Ipswich played now in last month?

How many players/staff have just came back from Covid?

Yes, shocking game, dreadful but like to feel maybe some can look and see the situation. Burton now played 24 games to Ipswich's 20. We all want to see attractive and wonderful football but I wonder how many times in last month PL has actually taken charge of a training session.
It's not all excuses and yes for any chance of promotion that team has to improve but Ipswich did win. These are just terrible times and quite rightly some people are asking should football still be played? For me I see both for and against playing but I do feel should ask just how many players were actually match/game fit to play today

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:43 pm

Well got the win but that was poor, really poor. What are they doing in training. Same sh*t different game. Headless chicken stuff at times, no obvious gameplan. Wanted to see an improvement today, nowhere close enough to get out of this league. Yes, just keeping touch with a group at the top but its hanging on by fingernail stuff. Dreading the next two results as i feel it will be the slide that starts our mid table finish.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:02 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:17 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Just heard a joke on a radio Suffolk. It started “If we win our next two against Peterborough and Sunderland....”

Feeling really depressed after watching that. I’m struggling to think of anyone outside the back 4 who had a half decent game.
We’ve won , and yet I feel deflated tbh. Can’t honestly say why. Never felt like this in all my born days of being a Town fan.
The win just feels like it’s just prolonging the agony, because I can’t see us making that top six on the basis of what I’m watching over the last two games. We have nothing about us. If the players really are buying into this sh*t by Lambert then they all need to pack their bags and sod off. There’s no urgency about us. No probing passes. No committed runs at opponents defence. Minimal quality crossing into their box. One up front every f**king game . I’m tired of it. I’m certainly bored and definitely totally exasperated by the same sh*t every game. We’ve laboured to beat a rock bottom side that can’t buy a bloody win. We’ve never yet beaten any top six rivals. Nor will we I think. So therefore we won’t be making that top six.

Can you imagine how this Town side would do in the Championship? Jeeeeze I shudder.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:10 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:02 pm
Andym wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:17 pm
tangfastic wrote:

We’ve won , and yet I feel deflated tbh. Can’t honestly say why. Never felt like this in all my born days of being a Town fan.
The win just feels like it’s just prolonging the agony, because I can’t see us making that top six on the basis of what I’m watching over the last two games. We have nothing about us. If the players really are buying into this sh*t by Lambert then they all need to pack their bags and sod off. There’s no urgency about us. No probing passes. No committed runs at opponents defence. Minimal quality crossing into their box. One up front every f**king game . I’m tired of it. I’m certainly bored and definitely totally exasperated by the same sh*t every game. We’ve laboured to beat a rock bottom side that can’t buy a bloody win. We’ve never yet beaten any top six rivals. Nor will we I think. So therefore we won’t be making that top six.

Can you imagine how this Town side would do in the Championship? Jeeeeze I shudder.
Scary isn’t it? Personally I just don’t care😕

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:32 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:22 pm

Yes, shocking game, dreadful but like to feel maybe some can look and see the situation. Burton now played 24 games to Ipswich's 20. We all want to see attractive and wonderful football but I wonder how many times in last month PL has actually taken charge of a training session.
It's not all excuses and yes for any chance of promotion that team has to improve but Ipswich did win. These are just terrible times and quite rightly some people are asking should football still be played? For me I see both for and against playing but I do feel should ask just how many players were actually match/game fit to play today
Couldn't agree more.
Ipswich are bang in this race for top six.
Getting players fit now and recovering from covid but still in the hunt.
2 huge home games coming up which could propel the whole season.
May be coming just a wee bit early but even if lost both still doable.
Good result today however it was achieved, grinding out results and staying in the hunt.
No easy games in League One, especially away from home and Burton are battling for every point.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:04 pm

Wish I had your optimism VR, but sadly I can’t summon it up from anywhere right now. I’d love us to get 6 points from the next two games but honestly can’t see it happening.

We NEED to go on a run of unbeaten games, but there’s no spark in this team. There should be a threat, but it never materialises in any game. It clearly isn’t a threat, us playing one up front. Our wingers are never far enough up the park to offer the loan striker ( whoever it might be), any support. Against better sides , which Posh and Sunderland both are, I don’t think we will be able to match them.

If I was pushed to say which game we might get a point from, I’d say the Sunderland one. Posh will have too much pace for us.
But I’m definitely up for being proved wrong by the players.
Last edited by hallamblue on Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:12 pm

If we win the next 2 against so called promotion rivals we would be right back in the hunt. The trouble is i just can't see it happening and that is what bothers me most. :(

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:06 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:32 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:

Couldn't agree more.
Good result today however it was achieved, grinding out results and staying in the hunt.
No easy games in League One, especially away from home and Burton are battling for every point.
There is a massive difference between being positive, (which I predominantly am) and just blind optimism, Valley. SURELY you MUST realise that being a St.Mirren supporter and the managerial changes made over the years at Love Street? SURELY? (Cue Airplane! quote)
"Two big games which COULD propel........." , true, but deep down, based on evidence, you MUST KNOW its just words and it ain't happening.

In recent years using my other team......., I KNEW early days that Colin Calderwood needed removed from the Hibs job. Had SERIOUS doubts about Lambert the day he started answering phantom questions in pressers in a very defensive manner. Thats when he lost it. He needs removed from office, Lone Ranger & Pronto!

BUT, if he is to remain......., hopefully the result alone today instils confidence in the guys to play better vs guaranteed better opposition.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:45 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:06 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:32 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:

Couldn't agree more.
There is a massive difference between being positive, (which I predominantly am) and just blind optimism, Valley. SURELY you MUST realise that being a St.Mirren supporter and the managerial changes made over the years at Love Street? SURELY? (Cue Airplane! quote)
"Two big games which COULD propel........." , true, but deep down, based on evidence, you MUST KNOW its just words and it ain't happening.

In recent years using my other team......., I KNEW early days that Colin Calderwood needed removed from the Hibs job. Had SERIOUS doubts about Lambert the day he started answering phantom questions in pressers in a very defensive manner. Thats when he lost it. He needs removed from office, Lone Ranger & Pronto!

BUT, if he is to remain......., hopefully the result alone today instils confidence in the guys to play better vs guaranteed better opposition.
Lets see how it pans out but Ipswich are bang in there and there is simply no basis whatsoever for sacking Lambert.
I actually thing Ipswich would make themselves a complete laughing stock if they sacked him and deservedly so.
As I have said all along, Lambert's position will be assessed at the end of the season.
What fans on this forum need to do is 100% get behind the team it is 4 points off an automatic promotion spot with a game in hand.
Many seem to think Ipswich should be 10 points clear playing like Barca but it aint happening and never was going to be.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:59 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:45 pm
Many seem to think Ipswich should be 10 points clear playing like Barca but it aint happening and never was going to be.
Very loose statement. Yes ok, many maybe do re 10 points clear, ......, but MOST want them playing with intent and LOOKING like they deserve their position.

Not sure ANY thought Ipswich would be the Barca of League One.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:28 pm

......” no basis to sack Lambert”...... really ????

Have you seen his record since he’s been at this Club. At just about any other Club. Lambert would have bern sacked a year ago .

His managerial record prior to becoming Town’s manager is utterly abysmal, barely lasting more than a year at three Clubs. We’re they all wrong?

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:41 pm

I don’t think anyone expects us to be 10 points clear out playing like Barca. But I think many of us might expect against the bottom club we might manage a shot occasionally. We won but Burton probably created the better chances. There is a huge difference between playing like Barca and playing the utter sh*te we managed for most of today. There were some good moments but probably totalled about 5 minutes of play. Long high balls, poor passing, just awful.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:19 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:28 pm

Have you seen his record since he’s been at this Club. At just about any other Club. Lambert would have bern sacked a year ago .

His managerial record prior to becoming Town’s manager is utterly abysmal, barely lasting more than a year at three Clubs. We’re they all wrong?
I think you need to do better research on why Paul Lambert has left clubs.

Anyway he is here till the end of the season, like it or not.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:55 pm

Don’t think it matters why he left other clubs,,mate ——-> 30 odd wins in over 100 games at ITFC ——-> tatty bye, Lamb pie.

That was the shittest poem EVER on TB.com

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:00 am

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:19 pm
hallamblue wrote:

You may be right. But unless you have inside information that we don’t, you may be wrong. I really wish you would stop winding up people you don’t agree with. You come across as a very unpleasant person.
I can’t imagine you are in a privileged position to know why he left previous clubs. That is rarely made public. I appreciate you see things differently to some of us. But I’ll state my feelings. I was glad when MM went because his football was shockingly awful to watch. Relegation wasn’t a surprise to me, nor was I unduly concerned. My feelings were that if we had to operate on a league 1 budget, let’s play in league 1. My feelings now are that as we have one of the larger league 1 budgets and a larger squad than most, with some supposedly decent players, we ought to be able to play some reasonably entertaining football. No, not Barcelona, but creating a few chances, making some decent passes, and looking like a team capable of being in the top half of the table. While we are still in the top half, we don’t look like it. After a promising start, this season has gone very wrong. I know we have injuries but we have a big squad. Anyone can manage a successful team. A decent manager can turn things round by adapting. Lambert has failed on that count as he did last season. The quality of football on offer today was Sunday league. That’s why people are fed up. Win or lose, it was sh*te.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:07 am

Andym wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:00 am
Lambert has failed on that count as he did last season.
Yep. Thats really it....., in a nutshell.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:18 am

Didn't even bother wasting £10 watching, this,good we got the win but Lambert still needs the boot.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:17 am

Paul Lambert left other clubs because he were sh*t, lost more games than had victories and in the end the directors / owners wherever you found them had the good sense to get rid. Yes he walked out on a few, can only hope the same happens here before long. Got nothing against him as a standalone individual however he is greatly responsible for the fall into League One and his record with us thus far is simply sub-standard. Fact is the only real success he has on his er, long and distinguished coaching career was with Norwich City, kind of embarrassing in a sense.

Didn't get to see highlights in the end I mean why bother. One goal amid a largely forgettable game and two teams destined to achieve next to nothing this season although the opposition may well see a relegation. In terms of success there is next to nothing.

Read reports and post-game reaction on both TWTD and one of Burton's leading fan forums. Odd thing is there were some substantial mention on the former we actually played well although the general consensus being we were poor and ineffective. Stayed with the game for a majority of today but you don't have the same insight as some others who would be a live witness or possess clearer understanding.

Could find little to no mention of Lambert's opinion after today, maybe there really wasn't much to say. Would have been beneficial to hear a few words particularly on a victory but fair enough if declined to comment. We got some strong opposition coming up after this, worry here (is) if we can't or have significant trouble overcoming teams in the relegation zone how is it going to be against some real opposition or those near the very top. I accept promotion is unlikely despite on verge of the top six but while the opportunity is there you got to remain hopeful.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:40 am

Lots of players coming back from injury, lots of players playing together for the first time since last Autumn. I'll take the three points. Let's hope this is just a step to getting back to the form we had earlier in the season. Maybe we will see some more progress against Sunderland. Let's hope so.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:01 am

valleyroad wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

With the exception of Blackburn ( where he cited lack of funds as his reason for leaving), the rest I believe he was sacked, largely due to his poor results ratio. He has an equally poor ratio since being at Town.

Not sure if you saw the EADT article concerning PL’ s record at other clubs , but here you go . It doesn’t make for good reading, and I certainly wasn’t aware his record was that bad tbh. Evans should have done his due diligence before going after him. All said and done , football is a results business now isn’t it, and even if you think PL is the man for the job here at Town, his results ratio is totally abysmal. Anyway, have a gander .

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... re-6899844

Overall managerial stats.... ( he’s lost almost twice as many games as he’s won)...

https://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/paul-lambert/

And he’s not stunning at Town either ...

https://www.twtd.co.uk/statistics/managers/paul-lambert

And finally for completeness, a nice article from a Scottish source . There’s a lot in this I agree with tbh. But PL seems to have trouble coping with Clubs that have internal issues, and Town certainly ( unfortunately), fit that descriptor. Indeed, PL’s only major success it seems has come with that lot up the A140. I think he’s “ lived” on that success in subsequent appointments. This job with Town really is vital from his perspective to be a success, or I suspect it may well be his last notable job in the game.

https://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/a ... ul-lambert

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:44 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:01 am
valleyroad wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

With the exception of Blackburn ( where he cited lack of funds as his reason for leaving), the rest I believe he was sacked, largely due to his poor results ratio. He has an equally poor ratio since being at Town.

Not sure if you saw the EADT article concerning PL’ s record at other clubs , but here you go . It doesn’t make for good reading, and I certainly wasn’t aware his record was that bad tbh. Evans should have done his due diligence before going after him. All said and done , football is a results business now isn’t it, and even if you think PL is the man for the job here at Town, his results ratio is totally abysmal. Anyway, have a gander .

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... re-6899844

Overall managerial stats.... ( he’s lost almost twice as many games as he’s won)...

https://www.managerstats.co.uk/managers/paul-lambert/

And he’s not stunning at Town either ...

https://www.twtd.co.uk/statistics/managers/paul-lambert

And finally for completeness, a nice article from a Scottish source . There’s a lot in this I agree with tbh. But PL seems to have trouble coping with Clubs that have internal issues, and Town certainly ( unfortunately), fit that descriptor. Indeed, PL’s only major success it seems has come with that lot up the A140. I think he’s “ lived” on that success in subsequent appointments. This job with Town really is vital from his perspective to be a success, or I suspect it may well be his last notable job in the game.

https://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/a ... ul-lambert
But we’re playing really, really well, though.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:01 am

:lol: :lol: