Ipswich Town vs Peterborough United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we kick on after the Burton win?

Town Win
8%
Posh Win
54%
Draw
38%

Total votes: 13

hallamblue

Re: Ipswich Town vs Peterborough United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:04 pm

Since our decent start ,

..... we've played 15 games, won 6, drawn 1, lost 8. We've scored just 13 goals and conceded 20.

That is lower midtable form, and we're pretty much mirroring last season except we were decent for half as long this time around.

Lambert out. Nothing more needs to be said.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:21 pm

Well.......time to turn off radio suffolk before taylor talks bollocks about how we deserved the win blah blah fuckin blah. Bullshit bullshit bullshit. These two have a huge squad full of talent but we never see anything of any quality. What are they doing in training. Its a fuckin circus. Over last ten games on form we sit 15th, 13 points out of 30. Taylor spouting how its half way with games in hsnd etc etc etc. On that form there is no way we will reach top six. Utter shambles. If not for the start of the season we would already be out of contension for top six, unlucky for us the table still looks good. However, we all know how poor town have been , we all know there is only one way we are going. This just delays the end result and gives lambert and taylor justification in the poor selections, tactics they dish up week in week out. When did anyone actually enjoy watching ipswich, and i dont mean when they win, just enjoy watching them. No threat in the team at all, nobody who looks like doing anything of quality, nobody who looks like they might get a goal. I will continue to watch on ifollow for £10, but WHEN we can eventually go back to PR there is no way i will buy a ticket to help fund this crap. Oh and before anyone dares start crap about true supporter, dont bother. Im not paying the best part of 40 quid which evans demands to watch this sh*te any longer. Ive been a fan for over 40 years, season ticket holder for 20. Evans and lambert will move on after this club is totally ruined but i will support them all my life, but i wont be parting with another penny until Evens takes this club seriously. Being a town fan is death by a million cuts for the last 10 years.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:22 pm

26-9 our fouls wtf, overall Lambert can f*ck off as we've had enough of his stupid incompetence 70 mins own goal thanks mac for that charity NOT, then Lambert decides to make changes, TOO F*****G late, one bit of advice to Lambo declare a mass Covid out break and cancel all future games, because as sure as not we aint going to win against The Mackems i can still see a 17th or lower place finish, Not good enough Lambert
Last edited by ashfordblue on Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:28 pm

Peterborough may not have had a shot on target but they were the better side. An even first half, we started brighter but they were better as half time approached. Even then, you always felt that only one team was likely to score. Not sure about the penalty, but we'd been caught square 2 minutes earlier.

First 25 minutes after half time, we weren't in it. Pinned back in our own half, lumping long balls at an experienced and isolated striker who didn't win a ball all game. Why we had to wait until we were losing to make a change, only Lambert will know.

Chambers' passing in the first half was dire. Dozzell had probably his least effective game of the season. Downes still seems off the pace. Drinan isn't good enough.

A couple of decent efforts after going behind but the damage was done. Injuries to strikers don't help, but - and I still think it doesn't matter whether we play 1 or 2 up front -' we have to get players closer. Either the wide men have to come in closer or someone in the no. 10 role has to.

Radio Suffolk tried to say it was a better performance. At the end of the day we lost, and we deserved to. Lost one nil, and we were lucky to get nil.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:45 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:21 pm
Well.......time to turn off radio suffolk before taylor talks bollocks about how we deserved the win blah blah fuckin blah. Bullshit bullshit bullshit. These two have a huge squad full of talent

but we never see anything of any quality. No threat in the team at all, nobody who looks like doing anything of quality, nobody who looks like they might get a goal.
Sorry to quote selectively, but you say we have a huge squad full of talent. Then you say twice that there is no quality.

I'm not being awkward or argumentative. My point is that for 2 years some people have said we have the strongest squad in the division. I have remained unconvinced. I often ask myself the question, "Who would you be really disappointed to lose in the transfer window?" Personally, despite today, I'd be disappointed to lose Dozzell. And maybe Edwards on a good day. Bishop too but only if he can get back to the fitness level at the start of the season. And Downes but only if he can get back to last season's form. That's just one that I'd be really sorry to lose, three others I wouldn't mind keeping. That doesn't sound like a really strong squad to me. We will all have different lists, but instead of playing the "Who would I like to see leave the club" game, try playing "Who is it essential that we keep?" Or play both, and see which list is longer. That will tell you how talented our squad is.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:48 pm

I find it absolutely soul destroying following Town these days and seeing them lose to teams that were once two and three divisions behind us in the football league. Nowadays I can watch League Two sides playing in the FA Cup against Premier League and Championship teams and playing with so must flair and determination I honestly think if our current team were relegated they would struggle to get out of League Two. However you look at it, Marcus Evans period of tenure at Portman Road has been a complete disaster with no sign of improving anytime soon. Where it will end I don’t know, but what I do know is if the trend isn’t reversed we could soon be playing in the same division as Colchester United, Cambridge United, Southend United, Crawley Town, Harrogate Town and Forest Green Rovers. This really isn’t much fun.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:51 pm

What a dismal, dreary & thoroughly disheartening match to listen to: really poor. And as for Lambert's post match comments, the man is a completely deluded tool.

Just how poor do we have to become before our illustrious owner boots the manager out?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:01 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:51 pm
What a dismal, dreary & thoroughly disheartening match to listen to: really poor. And as for Lambert's post match comments, the man is a completely deluded tool.

Just how poor do we have to become before our illustrious owner boots the manager out?
Its become a poisoned chalice. Everything Hurst has touched since being thrown out of PR has turned to sh*t.
Scunthorpe 3 Grimsby 0

Fk knows, but the job seems impossible. Only a certain Mick McCarthy nearly cracked the code but Jambo b*stard useless f*cker Berra ruined it....... but also Mevans was too scared.
Maybe the EPL scared him? Worth a debate? Maybe the EPL demanded more attention from him and maybe take his mind off the fleecing corporate tickets company?

MAYBE MORE FOCUS WOULD’VE BEEN ON MEVANS IN THE EPL.
Tin foil hat stuff!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:10 pm

Will we ever fuckin improve?! :evil:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:14 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:10 pm
Will we ever fuckin improve?! :evil:
Yes.

But not with ex Borussia Dortmund, Paul Lambert.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:16 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:04 pm
Since our decent start ,

..... we've played 15 games, won 6, drawn 1, lost 8. We've scored just 13 goals and conceded 20.

That is lower midtable form, and we're pretty much mirroring last season except we were decent for half as long this time around.

Lambert out. Nothing more needs to be said.
Ditto enough is enough . Wtf does he have to do to get sacked. Can't blame he has not got his best players back. It is purely the style of play which is wrong. Simple as that. Poor management.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:33 pm

This is Lamberts post match interview .

I despair now. Just what planet is he on? I think he’s officially “ lost it”.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... gh-7068266

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:37 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:33 pm

Ok, let’s use the word “officially”........ but he lost it months ago.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:49 pm

Guess who Fleetwood's Man of the match was?

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:51 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:33 pm

My God the bloke is completely wrong on everything he has said, he insults football fans of this club if he thought that was very good. No wonder we are sh*te.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:00 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:49 pm
Guess who Fleetwood's Man of the match was?
Bloody good luck to him . Poor did probably had a massive weight off his shoulders now he’s away from this club which is in free fall and terminal decline.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:26 am

Caught some game highlights but you never get the full picture from what few moments they provide. Didn't dispute their penalty, if wrong fair enough but looked a legitimate decision. Good that they missed it although it took one of our own players to provide them a victory.

We had more possession shots on goal and if fouls were points we'd be clear top of the league by now but for all that we scored zero and writing up on another setback / loss. 6 wins at home to start off the season and we've probably lost more than that number by now, NOT promotion material in fact it'll be little more than mid-league mediocrity from here until the end of season (unless of course there's another cancelation)

I want Lambert gone, another potential three / four years of an existing contract, pity is we got an owner who never seems to realize the severity of what goes on here. Haven't enjoyed a season here, week by week, since Joe Royle was manager. Seriously, its been that long, that sh*t.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:24 am

Just an own goal separating the two sides. I wonder how we would be feeing if there hadn't been an own goal. 0-0 v Peterborough given our current situation would probably have been acceptable to most.

I wouldn't be surprised if we manage to beat Sunderland and with a few players coming up to pace now there is reason to be more optimistic. This is an attritional league.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:47 am

Having had a good night's sleep, I'm trying to be more rational about losing a game that I expected to lose.

I think the nature of the defeat didn't help my mood. Beaten by an unfortunate own goal.

We started as the better side. For 20 minutes or so we were on top. We needed to score in that time but didn't manage a shot. The balance changed and by half time Peterborough were the better side. But a fairly even first half. We had a couple of players regularly giving the ball away and we had no goal threat, defeat even at that point seemed likely but overall it had been pretty even.

The penalty came just a couple of minutes after another scare when they got in behind us. The cause was that we had for once stopped playing out from the back and so were playing with a higher back line. It meant we played more football in the opposition half but we're more exposed at the back. We needed a central defender to drop off a few yards but both tend to play tight on the strikers.

I think what frustrated me most was that again the second half was so different from the first. We either sat back or were pinned back (I'm never sure which) and the ball only left our half when booted long and high to an inexperienced lone striker who might as well have joined the other 10 in our half. It didn't matter to me that the goal was a fluke accident from a harmless position. All the signs were there that we were on the back foot and changes needed to be made. They weren't until it was too late.

We looked a bit brighter after then substitutions. Whether it was a change in personnel, a need to attack or the opposition sitting back I don't know. All I know was it should have happened 15 minutes earlier.

So I don't blame the formation. I don't blame the players even though one or two weren't at their best. The blame in my mind lies with a manager who should have seen that we were struggling and made changes sooner.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:50 am

We’ve got no fit strikers DB.

I watched the game, and I think we were devoid of any goal threat whatsoever until 10 mins from time when Lambert decided to bring on Sear, Thomas and Nolan ( the latter just prior to the strikers).

I don’t think Posh got out of 1st gear the whole game. They didn’t need too.

Let’s be clear here. We are talking about a division THREE level of game, and we are struggling to impose ourselves in ANY game this season.

We’ve lost 5 of the last 6 games at home . Can’t score a goal, can’t create anything of note. And can’t defend.

The Club captain appears to see yesterday’s results far differently to that of his manager,( but I don't expect he’ll be dropped for his post match interview comments , unlike Woolfie was a couple of weeks ago!).

As for Evans, well obviously he’s happy by how things are going, it seems as no action from him until the ST renewals go out I suspect . By which time we will be adrift of the top 6 ( we are already aren’t we?)

What a bloody shambles this Club has now become.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:38 am

I've slept on it too and I still think it was a fuckfest of a shambles in every sense of the word, yet again !!! Trust me this season has gone already, we are mirroring last season all over again, Lambert seems to have long term covid syndrome as his head is pickled, if he sees that as a good performance he really is beyond help, that is dangerous to our club, we are falling and falling and falling.

I would argue all day long that we have individual players who should cruise this division, its when they are put together as a so called team and asked to play the wrong tactics where it all goes tits up, this can only be down to One individual, on this occasion Evans doesn't even come in to it, it's Paul Lambert all day long, he is now taking us to our lowest ever level, other managers have struggled at a higher level, this is Lesgue One ffs, even games we win against the likes of Plymouth and Burton were crap and so uninspiring, I just don't see any way out of this now. Our future is League One at best, our advantage over the other clubs will be gone next season which is scary when you consider we are struggling with a so called bloody advantage.

I've always thought we will never see the Premier league again in my life time, I'm starting to think the same about the Championship!!!! We need Paul Cook and we need him NOW!!! The football would 100 % improve and we may just have a tiny miniscule chance of salvaging something but it needs to happen now, on that basis I am ashamed to say I want Sunderland and Crewe to thrash us, all because I love my club and that's how serious it has got.

Fail to act and its RIP Ipswich Town 😪

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:38 am

No fit strikers as of yesterday Hallam but Norwood and Jackson don't have serious issues apparently so may well be back for Sunderland (thinking optimistically).

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:38 am
I've slept on it too and I still think it was a fuckfest of a shambles in every sense of the word, yet again !!! Trust me this season has gone already, we are mirroring last season all over again, Lambert seems to have long term covid syndrome as his head is pickled, if he sees that as a good performance he really is beyond help, that is dangerous to our club, we are falling and falling and falling.

I would argue all day long that we have individual players who should cruise this division, its when they are put together as a so called team and asked to play the wrong tactics where it all goes tits up, this can only be down to One individual, on this occasion Evans doesn't even come in to it, it's Paul Lambert all day long, he is now taking us to our lowest ever level, other managers have struggled at a higher level, this is Lesgue One ffs, even games we win against the likes of Plymouth and Burton were crap and so uninspiring, I just don't see any way out of this now. Our future is League One at best, our advantage over the other clubs will be gone next season which is scary when you consider we are struggling with a so called bloody advantage.

I've always thought we will never see the Premier league again in my life time, I'm starting to think the same about the Championship!!!! We need Paul Cook and we need him NOW!!! The football would 100 % improve and we may just have a tiny miniscule chance of salvaging something but it needs to happen now, on that basis I am ashamed to say I want Sunderland and Crewe to thrash us, all because I love my club and that's how serious it has got.

Fail to act and its RIP Ipswich Town 😪
As I said yesterday Mike, how low does the Club have to go before something is done. I seriously believe that if things continue as they are we may well end up in Div 2 before too long, with no way out. It's blindingly clear that Lambert has failed. As Rossi pointed out, you cannot play Premiership football with Div 1 players. Lambert insists on it & is too pig-headed or stupid to see that it does not work & even more worringly, heseems supported by Evans. What a bloody awful state for the club to be in.

Sadly though, like you, I hope that we lose against Sunderland & Crewe in the hope that it may bring about Lambert's demise. He is bad for the club & is clearly incapable of getting us anywhere other than down.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:18 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:38 am
No fit strikers as of yesterday Hallam but Norwood and Jackson don't have serious issues apparently so may well be back for Sunderland (thinking optimistically).
I think the list is

Norwood ( hamstring still)
Jackson ( hip/ groin... where did that come from ?🤷‍♀️)
Hawkins ( knee op.... again where did this happen ?)
Harrop ( +ve CoVid ... 10 days out)
Loanee from German club .....( groin)

What’s left of our attacking players?

Drinan .... not unfit ( I hope), but looks waaay off the pace in all honesty .

Sears ..... 🤷‍♀️
Edwards....
Thomas ( a kid and he’s to side : don’t expect too much )
Judge ... ha ha ha ha

But another major problem is Lamberts insistence on playing one up front . It doesn’t work ! But he won’t change it ......

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:51 pm

Still not convinced by the “you can’t play premiership football in league 1”. Crewe played a lovely passing game and were very unlucky to lose against us.
I remember Cardiff under Colin Wanker when they got promotion. Hoofball to team of 6’6” players. Successful but relegated next season. Just suppose Crewe got promoted, they have the basis to stay up. And if they don’t get promoted, at least they are worth watching. Is not about formations. It’s about being able to see and play a pass. It’s about players moving into space. Crewe do it by bringing on their youngsters and coaching them correctly.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:55 pm

Mick Mills on post match phone-in. I think he gets this just about right.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-ne ... s-feet-now

This sums it up for me.

“I know injuries haven’t been helping matters very much but we’re still, for me, a mile away from having a really fluent team. We’re bits and pieces really.”

There’s nothing after more than two years of Lambert to show that we have any kind of fluency as a team. Bits n Pieces sounds about right.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:47 pm

I read that too and thought he was pretty well spot on

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:21 pm

I read it too, and it's really sad. Lambert has had plenty of time to turn things around, but he obviously isn't capable. I still can't believe Evans gave him the extended contract...I mean what did Lambert say to Evans to get such backing? It's almost like Evans has said f*ck it I'm tired of dealing with this football club. He ya go Lambert, do the best you can. I honestly don't know if a new manager would even improve performances that much...the problem lies much deeper. No matter how you look at the demise of our beloved club, it always comes back to one constant: Marcus Evans.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:46 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:21 pm
I read it too, and it's really sad. Lambert has had plenty of time to turn things around, but he obviously isn't capable. I still can't believe Evans gave him the extended contract...I mean what did Lambert say to Evans to get such backing? It's almost like Evans has said f*ck it I'm tired of dealing with this football club. He ya go Lambert, do the best you can. I honestly don't know if a new manager would even improve performances that much...the probleem lies much deeper. No matter how you look at the demise of our beloved club, it always comes back to one constant: Marcus Evans.
Im pretty sure a new manager would not be any worse. We’re not going to get relegated - so why not give it a go? Give ourselves a boost and a chance this season. Why keep on with this slow death? It’s not just killing this season, but the club. So many fans won’t sign up for next season if this continues.

And yes it comes down to ME. I’m just about OK with his financial investment (or lack of ), but his interest in the club and his decision-making are just not there. Still amazed Lambert got that 4 year extension when he should have been fighting to keep his job. Why not only accept mediocrity , but also reward it?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:13 pm

Think since the caption contest has ceased until further notice, going to head out and buy an "essential" trophy for the "turd polishing" contest. Your name is on it, Dubai.
Jaysus H Christ dude? What's going on? You are actually creating doubt in the heads of match report readers!
"Are they wrong?......., could Paul Lambert be the guy?......... Are they close to being challengers?"

The turd has been shined up so much now that it's disappearing and getting so small and completely lost in amongst the large turds that keep dumping down on top of it EVERY FKING WEEK.

Marcus Evans......., you are a disgrace for not seeing that the club (FROM A PLAYING ANGLE) is in decline, which is bad enough......., but to not help out by acting and ejecting the clown is unforgivable. And NO...... The fans DONT KNOW who is an acceptable replacement, that's YOUR fkn job. Try the Cook guy. If he doesn't work, try someone else. Just revert to trying to stumble upon....... But get rid of Lambert because he's taking the club down.