Ipswich Town vs Sunderland AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Whats our respose to Saturdays loss going to be?

Ipswich Win
11%
Sunderland Win
72%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 18

ipswichtownNo1

Re: Ipswich Town vs Sunderland AFC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:49 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:46 pm
Tinytown wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:38 pm
Dozzell at centre half for the goal....unbelievable. Were holding our own till then. Get Dozzell off bring Drinan on go long try and pick up bits and pieces play in the oppenants half.
I don’t blame Dozzell. The central defenders went missing.
I do blame dozzell, looked over his shoulder and just let him go. I know they have been up against it but a lad his age should have the energy to track back.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:53 pm

How on earth does Leadbitter STILL take set pieces?!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:55 pm

(Stats say) They've having twice as much possession as us this is something else. Only got score a moment ago, not going to try for commentary as won't obtain it. Chances on stat report seem about equal. Haven't seen the dismissal but going to be tough to find the goals to get back into this.

Would hope for some recovery from this situation but somehow you know how it's going to be. A change of formation and personnel may work for us second period, pessimist or not it doesn't look too good for us. Always insist there can be change or reversal but how much do the players really want it.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:03 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Dozzell at centre half for the goal....unbelievable. Were holding our own till then. Get Dozzell off bring Drinan on go long try and pick up bits and pieces play in the oppenants half.
Why take Nolan off? Anyway now Drinan on we can play in Sunderland half

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:06 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:03 pm
Tinytown wrote:
I think I’d have done the same

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:07 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Tinytown wrote:
Looking at it, i think it was sub PL could make. At leasr we have an outlet.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:08 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:07 pm
Tinytown wrote:
Tinytown wrote:
Looking at it, i think it was best sub PL could make. At leasr we have an outlet.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:09 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:06 pm
Tinytown wrote:
Tinytown wrote:
Why though Dozzell is a lightweight who can't tackle. And we need bite in midfield You could see Nolan was pissed off.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:09 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:43 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:27 pm
So why wasn’t Winchester given a red card ? He launched himself at Downes , both feet off the ground and went in then through the back of Downes ?
Disagree there. Certainly a poor yellow card challenge, but nothing more.
I’ll let you off ..... we’ve had it haven’t we .

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:11 pm

I know McGuiness scored an own goal against Peterborough on Saturday and was missing for Sunderland’s goal just before half time, but he’s looking one of our best on the pitch tonight. Without him I think we’d be trailing by more than one and he’s certainly in the right place more times than not.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:12 pm

Drinan tried a shot on goal but goalkeeper got to it. Thomas with a chance also so at least we're giving it a go. People say the opposition were fortunate to get ahead. I don't mind losing so long as the players try or make a fight of it. Manager appears to have selected a defensive formation from the start and hasn't altered some way into the second 45. Lambert has to realize a lot of the backlash he receives is often justified.

They do look like going further ahead. Not viewing the game, unable, making do with stat reports as the game remains underway.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:12 pm

I actually prefer the Woolfie : McGuinness pairing

And I’d have had Sears on instead of the much slower Drinan, who frankly is too slow to even catch a cold IMO .

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:20 pm

Actually happy with the substitutions PL has made. Drinan, while no scorer, is a handful. Thomas had run hinself into the ground and Bishop was a like for like sub

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:21 pm

How poor is Tomas Holy’s distribution, so many keepers these days are at the start of forward moves but Holys distribution so often puts our defence under pressure. Is this anything to do with why he can’t keep his place in the team.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:22 pm

Could be worse. Could be recently Premier League Wigan with Parachute payments getting a$$-rammed by Blackpool at home, (if that counts)
So, 🤷‍♂️..... extend lamberts contract? 7 years?

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:22 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:09 pm
Andym wrote:
Tinytown wrote:

Why though Dozzell is a lightweight who can't tackle. And we need bite in midfield You could see Nolan was pissed off.
Disagree. He just played Drinan in beautifully but he (Drinan) didn’t see it

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:25 pm

Under the circumstances I think we have played ok tonight. The substitutes were also the right ones at the right time. We have to go for it nite and could concede more but give credit where it’s due

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:27 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:22 pm
Tinytown wrote:
Andym wrote:

Not bad for being on the pitch for 75 mins :lol: sorry he doesn't do enough. Except get yellow cards because he can't tackle .BOOM.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:27 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:25 pm
Under the circumstances I think we have played ok tonight. The substitutes were also the right ones at the right time. We have to go for it nite and could concede more but give credit where it’s due
Played better tonight with ten men than 90 percent of this season with 11

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:28 pm

Downes looking sharp tonight

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:29 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:27 pm
Andym wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:22 pm
Tinytown wrote:

Not bad for being on the pitch for 75 mins :lol: sorry he doesn't do enough. Except get yellow cards because he can't tackle .BOOM.
Ok you don’t rate him. I do.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:32 pm

Tinytown wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:25 pm
If we lose tonight i think it will be the end of PL at last. It would leave a new manager with 24 games to at least get a play off spot. Maybe Butcher and Dyer as a stop gap untill a new guy, Paul Cook would be my choice could be appointed.
PL will get a reprieve tonight because of the red card. Lose at Crewe he goes..........HOPEFULLY

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:35 pm

I’ve been pretty impressed with tonight’s performance too, much better than I expected, but the fact is clear, if you can’t score goals you can’t win games and herein lies the problem.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:36 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:35 pm
I’ve been pretty impressed too with tonight’s performance too, much better than I expected, but the fact is clear, if you can’t score goals you can’t win games and herein lies the problem.
Agreed. After 10 minutes we got it pretty well right. Unhappy with the result but not the performance

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:37 pm

Just seeing out the closing stages now. People say we're playing well but opposition seem to have created over half as many scoring opportunities as ourselves and dominant with the ball. Don't imagine Lambert will receive the standard vitriol in light of a defeat this time around as we've supposedly played better than late and by way of unfortunate to lose if score remains as it is.

The home record is sh*t though isn't it. Can't even tally up now how many times we've been beaten at PR since the six game winning run came to an end when it did. Stay hopeful someone can rescue it in the time remaining but got to accept it's another missed season in terms of accomplishment.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:39 pm

Town have never had their best 11 players available this season. I put that down to poor training / conditions by snd large and our players far too long to come back k only to get injured again . This has been a massive disadvantage to Lambert ( poor tactics left aside ). And thus will be what Lambert will point too to justify the results .

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:48 pm

I think Paul Lambert will be right to come out and say he is proud (Jackson apart) of his players. They couldn't have done much more than they did, in fact i expected total capitulation.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:51 pm

Says it's over and we lost. Difficult to put across opinion so soon after the end as don't have the full picture of what occurred out there.

Initial reaction one of disappointment but seeing the starting formation and knowing how often we fail to pick up points it isn't really that much of a surprise. Probably around twenty to thirty new topics on TWTD underway right now all with the same content and expectant reaction. No need to view as nothing new. Don't even bother looking at the league table now. Guess we're (still) within reach of a top six position but it's futile. I accept nothing will come of this season. Just old territory, played well today or not can't see any good coming out of the months ahead.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:57 pm

Nice to see some positive comments tonight. Played well and for me there is potential in the team. Got to start getting results though. Not getting breaks but not helped by what Jackson did tonight. Didn't look to me like a team who had down tools or the manager has lost the dressing room.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 pm

Agreed all things considered it was a good battling performance by the 10 players ( and subs),
But whichever way you choose to look at it, Town are very much on the slide and this is undoubtedly pure relegation form from the team.