Ipswich Town vs Northampton Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Winnable Fixture?

Ipswich Win
81%
Northampton Win
13%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 16

lucy

Re: Ipswich Town vs Northampton Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by lucy » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:58 pm

There's a Group on Facebook planning to go Protest down at the Main Gates of Football Ground Tonight

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:02 pm

I'm getting to feel more and more often that I'm done with this garbage until he fucks off, I'm so glad I can't attend games, cold, wet, boring, frustrating, not to mention hundreds of miles every other weekend at no little expense, the pandemic has at least spared me this utter f**king rubbish. We'd struggle in League Two, fact.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:02 pm

That’s surely it now for that tool Lambert isn’t it?

Mick Mills is not holding back on Suffolk radio that’s fir sure .

Come Evans grow a pair and Sack him!

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:03 pm

The only good thing about tonight is it's a step closer to Lambert going, Rubbish utter Rubbish.👎

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:05 pm

Anyone remember this recent post ?

...... after what should be a home win against lowly Northampton who haven’t won away for more than three months we then have a busy month with 9 difficult games.

Sat 20 Feb H Oxford United
Tue 23 Feb A Hull City
Sat 27 Feb H Doncaster Rovers
Tue 2 Mar A Accrington Stanley
Sat 6 Mar A Gillingham
Tue 9 Mar H Lincoln City
Sat 13 Mar H Plymouth Argyle
Tue 16 Mar A Fleetwood Town
Sat 20 Mar A Portsmouth

Well after tonight’s result these games look even more difficult.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:09 pm

Felt compeled to take a look at the TWTD forum but it's as much as you'd expect. May join in later when things are quieter don't think right now is an appropriate time to comment.

Can almost imagine Lambert thinking "at least they didn't score" or "we kept them out, a point is important" or even "we've moved up one place in the league", any kind of crap of that nature. Wonder where our marvellous owner was when this was underway or now over ? Even realize we're playing today. It's dire whichever way you view it. You got to wonder how much is enough before something is done regards this sorry-as* situation.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:11 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:05 pm
Anyone remember this recent post ?

...... after what should be a home win against lowly Northampton who haven’t won away for more than three months we then have a busy month with 9 difficult games.

Sat 20 Feb H Oxford United
Tue 23 Feb A Hull City
Sat 27 Feb H Doncaster Rovers
Tue 2 Mar A Accrington Stanley
Sat 6 Mar A Gillingham
Tue 9 Mar H Lincoln City
Sat 13 Mar H Plymouth Argyle
Tue 16 Mar A Fleetwood Town
Sat 20 Mar A Portsmouth

Well after tonight’s result these games look even more difficult.
I can't see a point out of all these games :shock:

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:18 pm

Matheson, Woolfenden, Harrop, Thomas, Parrot, Sears all terrible. Downes and Dozzell ok in the first half but poor second. Lankester and Bishop did nothing. Judge looked sharp, Norwood threatened. Kenlock the only town player to have at least an average 90 minutes. Never witnessed such an abysmal performance.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:22 pm

Maybe a point at Gillingham. If that were to happen and it realistically could, we would come the end of March be sitting only just above the relegation zone. What a nightmare season this is becoming.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:29 pm

Lambert should be ashamed to take a salary. ITFC sadly are nothing short of a laughing stock. I am so p****d off right now. We need a total clear out. F*****g Billy Smart could do a better job!

TOTALLY HAD ENOUGH!
Goodnight.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:40 pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - this club is rotten to the core.

It doesn't matter if PL is sacked tonight, or tomorrow, or next week - whatever manager we may be able to attract will go the same way.

The fact is that this club started to degenerate the day that ME bought it - I said it at the time and MPB said it also. Since then, there has been a series of terrible managerial appointments (MM excepted, but he was never given any backing by the owner), and a plethora of bad decisions and general lack of ambition.

This club has been/is being slowly suffocated by ME - trust me, the grim reaper beckons

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:53 pm

Lambert actually giving a post match interview now. Sounds as flat as ditch water and acknowledges it’s all not good enough “ all of it is not good enough “..... I wonder if he’s seeing it as his time is up?

Lol he’s managed to get in that he’s “played for huge clubs , Celtic” , etc etc ..... unbelievable!

Giving credit to McCarthy now .... it sounds like a cheerio 👋 to me .

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:01 pm

Let’s hope you’re right Liz 👍, the only problem is we’ll still be owned by Marcus Evans and therein lies the problem. As I said when fans were calling for McCarthys head, there’s no point getting rid whilst Evans remains in charge and the same applies now really. Nothing changed except the name on the managers door and sooner or later prospective managers will come to realise this and steer clear. Our football club had become toxic.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:01 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:53 pm
Lambert actually giving a post match interview now. Sounds as flat as ditch water and acknowledges it’s all not good enough “ all of it is not good enough “..... I wonder if he’s seeing it as his time is up?

Lol he’s managed to get in that he’s “played for huge clubs , Celtic” , etc etc ..... unbelievable!

Giving credit to McCarthy now .... it sounds like a cheerio 👋 to me .
Also sounds like a big f*ck off to Marcus Evans for the way he's run the club in the past and the way he's running it now

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:03 pm

Good, f*ck off now then

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:43 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:01 pm
Let’s hope you’re right Liz 👍, the only problem is we’ll still be owned by Marcus Evans and therein lies the problem. As I said when fans were calling for McCarthys head, there’s no point getting rid whilst Evans remains in charge and the same applies now really. Nothing changed except the name on the managers door and sooner or later prospective managers will come to realise this and steer clear. Our football club had become toxic.
Absolutely agree re Evans .After initially supporting him many years ago I’ve always agreed that he is top of the pile of “ must go “. But I have also always said it’s impossible for Town fans to force him out .... unless the fans vote on mass by not renewing ST’s because the language of money is all he understands. Protests are futile too. It’s like water off a ducks back to him / he’s that remote from the club. And as Rossi states the Club is rotten through and through, and it won’t change until Evans sells up ( and there’s still no guarantee it would get better with a new owner). Mick Mills certainly wasn’t pulling any punches tonight , as he was almost saying Evans bought the club with all good intentions. But knew nothing about the product he’d bought , and was poorly advised throughout / lost money and had lost interest .

It’s all being “said “ now in national nexus snd by those connected with the game , not fans!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:01 am

rossi wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:40 pm

It doesn't matter if PL is sacked tonight, or tomorrow, or next week - whatever manager we may be able to attract will go the same way.

The fact is that this club started to degenerate the day that ME bought it - I said it at the time and MPB said it also. Since then, there has been a series of terrible managerial appointments (MM excepted, but he was never given any backing by the owner), and a plethora of bad decisions and general lack of ambition.

This club has been/is being slowly suffocated by ME - trust me, the grim reaper beckons
And there you have it. 100% spot on
Keep blaming the managers. I was enjoying the football more under David Sheepshanks, yes he made mistakes, obviously some huge but at least he loved the club. Maybe with ME we will never go down that rout as we did with DS as in administration but that is the only plus i can see with ME to Sheepshanks.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:04 am

Slight change of subject

That Referee, Surely he cannot get away with pressing his head into Judge like he did !!.. I thought Judge had a decent game when he came on and like to see the penalty incident again

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:02 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:01 am
rossi wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:40 pm

And there you have it. 100% spot on
Keep blaming the managers. I was enjoying the football more under David Sheepshanks, yes he made mistakes, obviously some huge but at least he loved the club. Maybe with ME we will never go down that rout as we did with DS as in administration but that is the only plus i can see with ME to Sheepshanks.
Say it one last time, at least DS had the best interests of the club at heart. No surprise at all the club has fallen on it's as* since 2007 when Evans took up pitch here, the man is a f**king buffoon. Almost totally devoid of care as to where the club finds itself, just waiting now for the obligatory 'message to the fans' on how bad it is and how 'it pains him'. Or some bullshit.

Don't like to mention McCarthy anymore, he's no longer part of us, what he does elsewhere is of no benefit to what we get up to but saw mention he's now four wins out of four at Cardiff or something. That's not to say it won't end in tears where he's at but extraordinary sometimes how things work out. Guess they've got an owner there that will actually supply something by way of funds for a team to be competitive. Add to that a better class of players than we had when said name was in place here.

Little else to add to tonight's score. It was embarrassing as thought we'd win given the nature and form of the opposition but then you remember which team you root for. Didn't bother to view highlights I mean what is there to really see. A dismissal late on and any incident involving the senior match official and one of our players. Guess can be excused for any non-watch or lack of viewing.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:26 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:04 am
Slight change of subject

That Referee, Surely he cannot get away with pressing his head into Judge like he did !!.. I thought Judge had a decent game when he came on and like to see the penalty incident again
here it is
https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... 220338/ref
If a player did that on the pitch they would get a red card for sure... take a look.
Defo penalty no attempt to get the ball left out a trailing leg to bring Judge down.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:56 am

That also brought about Downes first yellow, not acceptable, oh and I've woke up this morning and the prat is still here.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:06 am

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:26 am
Steve and Jo wrote:
Slight change of subject

here it is
If a player did that on the pitch they would get a red card for sure... take a look.
Defo penalty no attempt to get the ball left out a trailing leg to bring Judge down.
Just watched it and that is shocking behaviour from a referee. The fact that the Northampton player places his hand on the ref, to seemingly usher him away, speaks volumes. He should be facing charges at the FA.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:47 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:06 am
BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:
Slight change of subject

here it is
Just watched it and that is shocking behaviour from a referee. The fact that the Northampton player places his hand on the ref, to seemingly usher him away, speaks volumes. He should be facing charges at the FA.
It also speaks volumes that PL didn’t make excuses about the penalty decision or the ref. No mention of calling Mike Jones. He sounds as if the fight has left him and he’s waiting for Marcus to make that call.

The ref will surely get in trouble, but as long as he hasn’t got previous for that, I hope he doesn’t get banned. These days there’s too much outrage over small things and wanting people to be banned. No one got hurt. Could have been years and years of receiving abuse from players and he finally snapped.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:04 am

Sadly for the Ref he will be punished, I actually thought he was very good tbh, and let's be honest he only did What I wanted to do, only I'd have headbutted all the useless tools.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:05 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Slight change of subject

Oh, I'm not sure I blame the ref for anything.

I have never met Judge: but from various comments I have heard him make on pitch, from his continual moaning to his team-mates, from his general demeanor on pitch, he strikes me as being an arrogant nasty little sod, and I'm sure that if I ever met him then I, too, would want to square up to him.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:24 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:47 am
AzzurroMark wrote:
BLUEBLOOD wrote:

here it is
It also speaks volumes that PL didn’t make excuses about the penalty decision or the ref. No mention of calling Mike Jones. He sounds as if the fight has left him and he’s waiting for Marcus to make that call.

The ref will surely get in trouble, but as long as he hasn’t got previous for that, I hope he doesn’t get banned. These days there’s too much outrage over small things and wanting people to be banned. No one got hurt. Could have been years and years of receiving abuse from players and he finally snapped.
I hear what you say but if that was a player, he wouldn't just get a red card for pressing his head against a referee, he would get the book thrown at him. It works both ways, they say respect officials and I agree, players should respect officials as should managers etc.
However to earn respect you do not do what that referee did, yes maybe just pressing his head against Judge but look at the rage on his face. It taken players to pull him away. No way should an official act in that way. Referees should also set standards, what message does that give?

It was a penalty, the ref made a bad call and then to make matters worse he booked Judge for simulation diving and all this lead to Downs dismissal. Not defending Downs for not sure what happened. No doubt refs get abuse and that goes from the local grass roots football on a Sunday to non league and all the way up but he chooses to official, he gets paid, it's his choice. I bet refs lower down get more abuse. I was no saint either at letting the ref know my opinions at my lowly standard. A well known player of 30 or so years ago in Norfolk used to swing his elbows around, He later manage Wymondham Town and Attleborough, I remember him letting a ref know his difference of opinion and then the Ref snapped. So many cases can recall but this Ref was wrong and no doubt right now he totally regrets his actions

One thing the ref doesn't deter from, it was an absolute stinker of a performance from Town though

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:42 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:24 am
tangfastic wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:47 am
AzzurroMark wrote:

I hear what you say but if that was a player, he wouldn't just get a red card for pressing his head against a referee, he would get the book thrown at him. It works both ways, they say respect officials and I agree, players should respect officials as should managers etc.
However to earn respect you do not do what that referee did, yes maybe just pressing his head against Judge but look at the rage on his face. It taken players to pull him away. No way should an official act in that way. Referees should also set standards, what message does that give?

It was a penalty, the ref made a bad call and then to make matters worse he booked Judge for simulation diving and all this lead to Downs dismissal. Not defending Downs for not sure what happened. No doubt refs get abuse and that goes from the local grass roots football on a Sunday to non league and all the way up but he chooses to official, he gets paid, it's his choice. I bet refs lower down get more abuse. I was no saint either at letting the ref know my opinions at my lowly standard. A well known player of 30 or so years ago in Norfolk used to swing his elbows around, He later manage Wymondham Town and Attleborough, I remember him letting a ref know his difference of opinion and then the Ref snapped. So many cases can recall but this Ref was wrong and no doubt right now he totally regrets his actions

One thing the ref doesn't deter from, it was an absolute stinker of a performance from Town though
I’m sure he will get punished and he was unprofessional. I just don’t get the outrage. It might be good for players to see a ref fight back once in a while. It might make them think a bit more.

I thought the ref had a decent game up to that point. I’ve got to the point where I couldn’t care less whether it was a penalty or not. It was a dire performance and the match rightly ended 0-0. If Downes was sent off as a result of the ref losing his head then hopefully they might rescind the sending off.

J4ck22

Post by J4ck22 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:33 am

This is just so depressing at this point. Everything about the club is completely borked right now. Even the players have become ill-disciplined tools, Downes in particular has been embarrassing. How can Evans allow this to continue? It's clear from Lambert's presser last night that he's completely lost control, it only makes sense to get rid now.