Evans & Lambert to meet next week

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Evans & Lambert to meet next week

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:29 am

Under-fire boss Paul Lambert says he hasn’t spoken to owner Marcus Evans since Tuesday’s 0-0 home draw with Northampton but is due to meet with him face-to-face next week.

The expectation among fans since Tuesday has been that Evans would finally end Lambert's tenure but he remains in place and will be in charge for tomorrow's game against Oxford at Portman Road.

However, he says the two have a meeting next week, where it seems certain his position will be discussed.

“I haven’t actually, but that’s not unusual, that’s not unusual because his schedule is incredibly busy as well,” Lambert said when asked if the two had spoken since the game the other night.

“Owners are all different. I get on well with Marcus, I’ve always said to you. I’ve got a good relationship with the guy. I’ll see him face to face next week and we’ll discuss things from there.

“It’s like Mr [Peter] Coates at Stoke, he would come in every Friday and have lunch with me and I’d have a chat with him, but everybody’s different. It’s not unusual.

“I’ve spoken to [general manager of football operations] Lee [O’Neill] loads of times since Tuesday night. Marcus, no problem, I’ll speak to him next week at some point face to face, I guess hopefully, or through one of these things [computer].”

Lambert made a number of critical comments regarding the structure of the club following Tuesday’s match and also in his talkSPORT interview.

Pressed further on that, asked who he meant with a few people in the club having wondered whether it was them he was talking about when spoken to, he asked who had been talked to: “Who have you spoken to then?”

When told several people but that he wasn’t going to be told who they were, he responded: “I'm not going to answer your question then.”

Is it recruitment, the academy, communication that you were talking about? Which areas are wrong at the football club?

“You're a football journalist and you understand what a structure is, I guess,” he said. “Maybe you don’t. I think you do.

“I've seen it and as I've said before, I've been to the top level and the structure for me here at this moment is not right.”

Asked to elaborate further, he said: “I won't do it the now because now’s not the time, the time’s [for talking about] Oxford.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Evans & Lambert to meet next week

Post by Bluemike » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:30 am

Let's just hope to God Evans acts instead of coming out in support of his manager, the season is defined next week, not to mention our long term future.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:31 pm

Maybe my thoughts are airing on the side of caution and some may read as negative, but I have horrible fear that Evans will give him till the end of the season to turn things round. I just can’t see him willing to fork out compensation and I can’t imagine our league position will trigger any get out clauses. The quality of our football or his relationship with fans are unlikely to be mentioned in his contract. When it comes to break clauses these will be linked to objective measurements and hard numbers whether it be % of games won, points or simply league position.

If he does give him the boot I will be one of many delighted fans however I’ll put the celebration party on hold until somebody or a consortium buys Evans out and pledges to invest in our once great football club.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:44 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:31 pm
Maybe my thoughts are airing on the side of caution and some may read as negative, but I have horrible fear that Evans will give him till the end of the season to turn things round. I just can’t see him willing to fork out compensation and I can’t imagine our league position will trigger any get out clauses. The quality of our football or his relationship with fans are unlikely to be mentioned in his contract. When it comes to break clauses these will be linked to objective measurements and hard numbers whether it be % of games won, points or simply league position.

If he does give him the boot I will be one of many delighted fans however I’ll put the celebration party on hold until somebody or a consortium buys Evans out and pledges to invest in our once great football club.
I think Mike may have mentioned it the other day Andy, but I think he will only take action when the playoffs are a mathematical impossibility.

On the ME side, with the world full of economic pain, I still err on the side of caution and would rather have his ownership at present. The risk is that he sells it to the first person that comes along ie the Stuart Donald/Sunderland type example which I don’t think will effect any great change to the club.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:08 pm

Wouldn't we like to be a fly on the wall, I hope it's to discuss his pay off.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:20 pm

I would be absolutely delighted to see the back of PL.

However, it will solve nothing - the club will still be rotten to the core and IMHO that is entirely down to ME.

How many more scapegoats is this bully going to make - every manager he has appointed has been his scapegoat, and whilst it's true that some deserved it others did not.

The only long-term answer for the future of the club is for Evans to somehow no longer be the owner.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:39 pm

Frosty wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:44 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:31 pm

I think Mike may have mentioned it the other day Andy, but I think he will only take action when the playoffs are a mathematical impossibility.

On the ME side, with the world full of economic pain, I still err on the side of caution and would rather have his ownership at present. The risk is that he sells it to the first person that comes along ie the Stuart Donald/Sunderland type example which I don’t think will effect any great change to the club.
Agree 100%.
The relationship with fans for ME and PL is toxic to the point of untenable.
Both ME and PL need out of the club on a personal basis and the club needs a fresh start.
That's not a criticism of either but just sometimes something just doesn't just work out and change is needed.
Need to be patient and find the best owners going forward or its back to square one or worse.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:54 pm

I think the change to the rules on salary cap will mean that Lambert is here until the end of the season. Even with a new manager, play-offs are our best hope (albeit unlikely) so given we can all see another season (at least) at this level, what act now? I want him to act but just can't see it. If he was not driven to do so by Tuesday's performance, what will?

Now Lambert choosing to walk... thats a more likely one in my view. Lets see as this week is indeed very defining for us.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:22 pm

This is how I see it:

I seriously doubt Evans is going to sell the club anytime soon considering the current financial climate. If he has any desire to sell, it will come post Covid when/if football becomes profitable again. Fans in stadiums will certainly help that cause. He'll still be looking to make up some of that debt which means he'll want to sell to the highest bidder. He'll also want to figure how he can boost season ticket sales for next season.

As far as Lambert goes, I think if Evans has any balls he'll tell Lambert "Not to let the door hit his arse." What a petulant way for Lambert to cover up his own failures by blaming Evans for everything. Of course we've all criticized Evans and most of us would like him to sell, but he's done a hell of a lot more for this club than Lambert ever will. And don't be confused, I'm not backing Evans at all because I still think (like many) he doesn't have the ability to run a football club.

So don't be surprised if Evans does finally pull the plug on 'the former Dortmund football player' at the meeting. Think about it, what a great way to generate renewed interest from the season ticket holder fan base for next season.

When it all falls into place, we'll be promoted next season without Lambert...and the green shoots of success will begin to grow again for ITFC.

COYB!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:02 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:54 pm
I think the change to the rules on salary cap will mean that Lambert is here until the end of the season. Even with a new manager, play-offs are our best hope (albeit unlikely) so given we can all see another season (at least) at this level, what act now? I want him to act but just can't see it. If he was not driven to do so by Tuesday's performance, what will?

Now Lambert choosing to walk... thats a more likely one in my view. Lets see as this week is indeed very defining for us.
Yes, these recent comments by Lambert seems to show he wants out. It could be part of the negotiating process next week to settle his pay off. Maybe Lambert and Evans can meet in the middle with his pay off without any clauses being triggered. Sounds like the presence of Lambert around the club is causing lots of problems behind the scenes and his mud slinging isn’t helping.
Maybe he’ll be put on gardening leave and he can do his job via Zoom - just like our fitness coach.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:05 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:22 pm
This is how I see it:

I seriously doubt Evans is going to sell the club anytime soon considering the current financial climate. If he has any desire to sell, it will come post Covid when/if football becomes profitable again. Fans in stadiums will certainly help that cause. He'll still be looking to make up some of that debt which means he'll want to sell to the highest bidder. He'll also want to figure how he can boost season ticket sales for next season.

As far as Lambert goes, I think if Evans has any balls he'll tell Lambert "Not to let the door hit his arse." What a petulant way for Lambert to cover up his own failures by blaming Evans for everything. Of course we've all criticized Evans and most of us would like him to sell, but he's done a hell of a lot more for this club than Lambert ever will. And don't be confused, I'm not backing Evans at all because I still think (like many) he doesn't have the ability to run a football club.

So don't be surprised if Evans does finally pull the plug on 'the former Dortmund football player' at the meeting. Think about it, what a great way to generate renewed interest from the season ticket holder fan base for next season.

When it all falls into place, we'll be promoted next season without Lambert...and the green shoots of success will begin to grow again for ITFC.

COYB!
Not sure if that was serious or sarcastic.
The strange thing is, we started the season playing better as well as getting results. I suppose we still didn't look lime world beaters, we weren't dominating teams, just scoring. The injuries to key players (i.e. those scoring) and the lack of a striker who can score more than 3 a season started the decline, but PL failed to see that and change his style of play. For things to improve, we may need a new owner; we definitely need a new manager; and most of all someone who can keep the players fit and prevent a lot of the injuries. That has been a challenge this season with a longer than usual break followed by relentless matches, nut I still guess we are faring worse than most teams.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:30 am
Let's just hope to God Evans acts instead of coming out in support of his manager, the season is defined next week, not to mention our long term future.
I think Lamberts last game with us will be this coming Tuesday and he’ll depart after his meeting with Evans ( probably on Wednesday). I can see no way back for Lambert at this Club now. Every day there seems to be yet more unrest / revelations and after his less than disguised pop at the owner this week, there’s no way back for him now, IMO.

NB: or put another way, Lambert appears by his actions / words this week , to be almost creating his own constructive dismissal.
Last edited by hallamblue on Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:44 pm

Not sarcasm Andym: Hope. We’re not getting promoted this season, so I’m looking forward.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:26 am

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:08 pm

Great News !!!!! Today is his last game in charge reading that, I do wonder if he'll even be there today ???
It appears inevitable that Lambert’s time at Town will come to an end within a matter of days and it may be that the terms of that anticipated exit were discussed at the meeting.

However, as it stands, the Scot remains in charge for this afternoon’s home game against Oxford United.

TWTD understands no new manager is currently close to being appointed, however, as previously reported, at least preliminary contact has been made with a number of potential replacements, including Paul Cook, Danny Cowley, Nigel Pearson and Neil Harris.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:26 pm

Knowing our luck Evans will have told Lambert that he has found a buyer for the club but not to worry as he has negotiated with the new owner for him to stay as manager.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:47 pm

Now being reported that yesterday was just their normal weekly catch-up and the face to face meeting is still scheduled to take place next week. So it looks like he won’t be going anywhere in the next few days at least.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:53 pm

Well if I know he is going in the next week or so I can live with him still being in charge on Tuesday but a good thumping today should do the job.

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:56 am

Sounds like someone stoking the fire. Doesn’t hurt that he would get a nice payoff due to his long contract.

If I was Evans I would get rid of manager and director and become more involved with every person at the club. Do that for a year, make some decent decisions on staff and then you can relax back into that comfortable ‘let everyone else do it, aliases faire attitude’ which has gotten many an owner a spiral into mediocrity. After that you can sell the club for millions more than if you just continue to ignore problems for a year, which is essentially what he did since he bought the club.

We obviously need someone motivated to bring higher standards to this club than allowing a mediocre manager to throw mud in transfer window in the hope it will stick and have a bad signing to hide behind.

Taking responsibility starts at the top otherwise it filters down and everyone who was working hard can’t be bothered because the person next to them isn’t trying either.

Sorry I’ve been away for so long and return with a long rant, which has probably been ranted many times before during that time, but it’s so painful to see, I just can’t bear to watch this club disintegrate due to neglect, so I will make time and do my part however tiny.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:40 am

Nice to see you posting again buddy

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:50 am

Yes, good to see Wilnis & KHurst post again.

Did kHurst disappear when a certain Paul took over? Maybe diving for cover!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:07 pm

I know it’s only two games, (Oxford and Hull)
4pts from 6 and two good performances.
How does that meeting go now?

Bloody hard job being a chairman. On seeing last night, I’d be like, “Well, just keep asking the players to do this, Paul 🤷‍♂️.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:27 pm

It really should change nothing, Lambert has lost most of the fans and that is never turned around.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:35 pm

Totally agree with that...... but 3pts and another decent performance v Donny......, that really would be creating a definite conundrum. Because any action done while on a run, some people will be like, “Your timing baffles, Marcus!”
If the fans do just want Lambert gone...... a performance like the one v Hull just cannot happen.
It’s a proper conundrum.
As chief fence sitter....... can’t help but hope for a thumping win v Donny. More for players confidence leading into the final third of the season.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:46 pm

I can’t see anything changing this week - if Evans has decided to sack Lambert he should have done it after Northampton. Why give your manager you’ve decided to sack another couple of games so they might scratch a win or two and make you look like a complete tw*t?

It doesn’t make any logical sense to support a manager for so long doing badly and then sack him after a couple of decent performances. On the other hand, wasn’t Magilton sacked straight after we beat Norwich?

Hard to work out it all out. I have a feeling there’s going to be a lot of fans waiting and speculating on the outcome of this meeting this week... and nothing happens.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:00 pm

Or just maybe it is Evans on the way out and Lambert staying ? Hence his apparent jovial body language lately.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:00 pm
Or just maybe it is Evans on the way out and Lambert staying ? Hence his apparent jovial body language lately.
Yep. Didn’t even think of that if I’m honest. Was Lambert going or both going with the recent rumours.
But Mevans going and the new regime keeping Lambert could be something.

Certainly, every time the camera was on the touchline, we didn’t witness a pissed off, down and out Lambert. He seemed interested.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:29 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:22 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:00 pm
Yep. Didn’t even think of that if I’m honest. Was Lambert going or both going with the recent rumours.
But Mevans going and the new regime keeping Lambert could be something.

Certainly, every time the camera was on the touchline, we didn’t witness a pissed off, down and out Lambert. He seemed interested.
Could there be TWO owners in the world who’d want to keep Lambert? If someone took over a struggling business - would they want to keep on a senior manager or CEO who’d overseen the demise?

Could be Lambert is happy because he’s got more support from ME... or he’s been told he’s leaving with a bumper pay off ... or he’s putting on a brave face.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:33 pm

I’d disagree only with the brave face part. Any of the other things; certainly a possibility.

He’s unable to let things wash over him, (IMO of course) Seems huffy. Purely based on pressers ——> brave face not available. Again, IMO.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:31 pm

Now there's a vacancy in East Glasgow Lambert may have his sights set on it. Actually wouldn't be such a step back as you're stuck in a tinpot league with little to nothing in the way of competition. Got Europe maybe but be realistic its not really a factor. He has to do better back there than his time with us, could hardly be much worse.

Lambert may have adapted a new demeanor or attitude in recent games but make no mistake he's been garbage here and outstayed welcome some time back. One or two upbeat scores in as many weeks is encouraging but can't forgive or overlook the multitude of sh*t that comes before it. One or two replies imply the manager has transformed overnight from failure to competent, best leave it there its an opinion that's tough to subscribe to.