Wilfried Zaha: Crystal Palace forward will stop taking the knee before matches

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Wilfried Zaha: Crystal Palace forward will stop taking the knee before matches

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:39 pm

Thank god for that, let’s hope many more follow and stop this enforced ritual before games.

Blue Wilf

Re: Wilfried Zaha: Crystal Palace forward will stop taking the knee before matches

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:43 pm

Totally agree - it causes more problems than it solves as people who wish to express their beliefs in other ways (or choose to keep them to themselves) feel intimidated into doing it for fear of being brandished a 'racist'.

Ricco

Re: Wilfried Zaha: Crystal Palace forward will stop taking the knee before matches

Post by Ricco » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:17 pm

Aye it's an impossible subject to get right and even more impossible to talk about without be branded a racist, but I just don't know what good strong protests or statements do. I imagine racists view such things as almost combative, hence why there was a retaliation by the pondlife at Millwall and elsewhere. The mind of a racist is going to be strengthened in opinion by such things, the general population may like it and get behind it, but the racists (which I believe are the ones we're trying to get through to!) are just going to become stronger in their opinion, I could well be wrong, but I'm pretty sure of that.

Education is very very subtle and takes patience, takes a hell of a lot of time. I can see the frustration, but really it is the only way things get better (and look how much better it has gotten over the decades), having 'education' shoved down throats has the opposite effect and can set a process back years.