Hull City AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will we get any points from this one?

Hull Win
78%
Town Win
17%
Draw
6%

Total votes: 18

hallamblue

Re: Hull City AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 pm

Marko can’t tell you HOW MUCH BETTER that display by Town was tonight .... in fact two games on the trot now.
Played on the front foot
Got the ball forward early
Played the game in opponents half

Norwood returning to fitness makes a massive difference.
Solid in defence
Miles Kenlock looking like the player I skyways hoped he would be

Midfield look very effective first half - Downes who?

I reckon Lambert will make lots of changes for Doncaster now - shame if he does !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:16 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:11 pm
Cannot compare the game against Northampton to this one

Chalk and Cheese, two totally different teams and tonight, that team looked to me as playing for Ipswich. They wanted it and showed unity

Well most of the players did anyway
I actually wondered how this team couldn't beat Northampton while watching tonight. Thought, "Wow, Northampton must be SOLID in defence!"

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:21 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:15 pm
I reckon Lambert will make lots of changes for Doncaster now - shame if he does !
I really hope he doesn't. Bennetts aside, they all deserve their place v Doncaster. Even Parrott after glimpses in the second half. He has vision. Might be shyte at finishing but he could provide a vital pass for Norwood. Probably open to debate that one.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:24 pm

Parrott has the game, he's a kid and needs to fine tune a few things but he makes things happen and I think he'll be a player

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:24 pm

Norwood and Parrott seem to compliment each other don’t they. And I wouldn’t change the team other than Bennett’s either marko. 👍

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:27 pm

Yep got that outcome right😁😁Totally agree Andy Norwood allows us to play the long ball and creates enough havoc for us to get the second ball. Very effective. Was even more so against Oxford
Unfortunately can be easily countered by setting up to be ready for the second ball. We got fewer tonight than playing Oxfotd. They had done their homework. Great defense for us. Dozzell very good.. Onwards and upwards

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:29 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:24 pm
Parrott has the game, he's a kid and needs to fine tune a few things but he makes things happen and I think he'll be a player
Yep, after seeing him second half, made me think he was trying too hard first half. Maybe the Champions League winner had a word at half time and maybe said, just bring it down a few, look up etc etc......, there were easily 4 very good passes he saw and made second half but for decent Hull defending or Norwood / Judge not being on the same page. I'd be keeping him in the team for Donny. See what happens.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:32 pm

What a pleasant surprise! Wish I could have watched that. Three clean sheets in a row!

COYB!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:35 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Miles Kenlock looking like the player I skyways hoped he would be
You want him to go on Holiday?? Nooooo! The team need him, Hallam. And its lockdown anyway, so he can't. :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:38 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:32 pm
Three clean sheets in a row!
Yes, 9. Guilty of overlooking that.

Although I can't remember Holy having to make a save. Hull were THAT bad. Tomas did let the ball slip out his hands first half, no danger about, but pounced on it quite dramatically. :lol: I thought the Golden Globe was going to be awarded.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:42 pm

Simple. Get Marko to watch and Azzurro not to... and we play well and win.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:57 pm

Didn't expect to win not only that we managed to shut them out from scoring. Only got score a moment ago, saw five pages of replies and thought a big loss had occurred, Lambert fired at last. No it were just a regular game and we got a victory. League table shows two wins and we can reach the top six. Its the hope that does you in. Been a number of dropped points recently against poor opposition, would be damn irritating if those lost chances mean missing out by end of season. Being a realist you got to believe that ship sailed some time back.

Hull were poor ? Too what extent, only just getting in information. All said it were a surprise victory one that I believe we've left too late in the season but another issue being this will buy Lambert more time. You can argue that's a negative from today but for now just savoring a rare victory.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:05 pm

:shock: There's got to be a F******g conspiracy here, we playing out our socks, This has all the hall marks of a takeover of our club, Lambert pushing for excellent results, he's trying to f*****G impress someone of the new owners, it has to be this as the players playing well except Bennetts.

Nope you don't F*****g fool me Lambert you cunning little sh*t, your up to no good, :evil: you know what information is waiting at the meeting with Mr Evans, otherwise why have we suddenly :shock: shocked all the fans with this result, well push all you like Lambo we still want you out FACT

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:11 pm

Thing is we have only played 28 games. Maybe late in the season as in last week of February, but still have 18 games to go

Not saying we will get in the playoffs, got to believe we can though and so have the players and coaching staff

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:13 pm

Is it fair to say Woolfenden and McGuinness are not up to the task?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:14 pm

Yes we are, I've always felt Toto is our best CB, despite his errors

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:19 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:13 pm
Is it fair to say Woolfenden and McGuinness are not up to the task?
Yes. Woolfy doesn't cut it without experience covering for him. And he was playing as the more experienced in that pairing, it would ever work.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:20 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:42 pm
:( You might have a point there Tang :lol: Sod all this Lambert out stuff, A free i-follow pass for Marko and Azzurro OUT! :P :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:21 pm

As I said pre match Hull had struggled to score in a few games recently and I thought 0-0 would be a good result for us, never did I dream of 0-1 win. By all accounts we’ve played well and with a string of demanding fixtures coming up it couldn’t have been better timed. Not sure it will help us see the back of Paul Lambert but it may help Marcus Evans sell a few season tickets.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:22 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:05 pm
:shock: There's got to be a F******g conspiracy here, we playing out our socks, This has all the hall marks of a takeover of our club, Lambert pushing for excellent results, he's trying to f*****G impress someone of the new owners, it has to be this as the players playing well except Bennetts.

Nope you don't F*****g fool me Lambert you cunning little sh*t, your up to no good, :evil: you know what information is waiting at the meeting with Mr Evans, otherwise why have we suddenly :shock: shocked all the fans with this result, well push all you like Lambo we still want you out FACT
:lol: :lol: :lol: An Ashford Rant. Superb.

The conspiracy would need to involve a non existent Hull City midfield, Ashford.

Seriously though......, you gotta give credit where its due.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:22 pm

marko69 wrote:
Andym wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:05 pm
I think part of it is Norwood. People moaned about the tippy tippy playing out from the back, bug we couldn't play the more direct footy of the last 2 games without Norwood. He can win it, be a bloody nuisance and we can pick up the second balls. We have no other striker who can let us play that way.
Bluemike wrote:
Marko that was light years ahead of out usual garbage, we looked so up for it throughout the game, but again I look at Lambert, tonight it was by and large a 4-4-2 and the prat says we are useless playing that formation.
Well guys, let us hope that James Norwood remains fit....., I'll lay off the steak bake insinuations......, although I am thinking he has read a whole host of weight related posts and thought, "I'll show them"..... and he done very well tonight. Kenlocks ball was great but still needed to be brought down and slotted and the fat bstd done well!!

Lambert did look animated tonight. Clapping encouragement etc etc. Could it be a turnaround? I see no reason why this PERFORMANCE cannot be studied, discussed and built on for the next game. If its two wins in a row with a decent performance......., business would be back on.

OR...... Hull were just shyte!! :lol:
My question marko is WHY has there been such a marked change in Lamberts demeanour?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:23 pm

As you say Marko give credit where credit is due and it’s certainly due tonight, that was a big win.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:24 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:20 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:42 pm
:( You might have a point there Tang :lol: Sod all this Lambert out stuff, A free i-follow pass for Marko and Azzurro OUT! :P :lol:
Tell you what, Azz....., if Herr Lambert could guarantee and "inspire" that sort of urgency every week ----- >> the tenner would be getting spent.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:24 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:05 pm

Ha ha ha love it Ashford ! Love it !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:26 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:11 pm
Thing is we have only played 28 games. Maybe late in the season as in last week of February, but still have 18 games to go

Not saying we will get in the playoffs, got to believe we can though and so have the players and coaching staff
Are we this seasons Dark Horses, and late runners for top 6 ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:26 pm

Who knows what goes on behind closed doors, we know there’s been a recent clear the air meeting between Evans and Lambert, maybe the owner has finally told him it’s improve or out and put him on borrowed time rather than keep supporting him. Certainly something has happened to change his demeanour.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:30 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:22 pm
My question marko is WHY has there been such a marked change in Lamberts demeanour?
No idea, Hallam but I really don't see him on the touchline ever....., tonight he was being very encouraging. Maybe news of a takeover and a big pay-off and knowing he's getting out, BUT it is still speculation.

Maybe its just something as simple as he's been able to finally visit the Champions League medal shiner uper-er shop.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:48 am

Great result and by all accounts a great performance too. Hull fans must be going through a difficult time right now, they might be in 3rd but 31 games played - they are likely to sink in the coming weeks.

We have a score to settle with Doncaaster and what better time......

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:07 am

marko69 wrote:
Andym wrote:
I think part of it is Norwood. People moaned about the tippy tippy playing out from the back, bug we couldn't play the more direct footy of the last 2 games without Norwood. He can win it, be a bloody nuisance and we can pick up the second balls. We have no other striker who can let us play that way.
Bluemike wrote:
Marko that was light years ahead of out usual garbage, we looked so up for it throughout the game, but again I look at Lambert, tonight it was by and large a 4-4-2 and the prat says we are useless playing that formation.
Well guys, let us hope that James Norwood remains fit....., I'll lay off the steak bake insinuations......, although I am thinking he has read a whole host of weight related posts and thought, "I'll show them"..... and he done very well tonight. Kenlocks ball was great but still needed to be brought down and slotted and the fat bstd done well!!

Lambert did look animated tonight. Clapping encouragement etc etc. Could it be a turnaround? I see no reason why this PERFORMANCE cannot be studied, discussed and built on for the next game. If its two wins in a row with a decent performance......., business would be back on.

OR...... Hull were just shyte!! :lol:
Yes, that was miles better than we normally play. Hull have been stumbling of late and are not at their best. So I’m sure we’ve hit them at a good time, but it was a very good performance. As Andy says, Norwood makes a difference - he makes long, speculative balls stick or harries the defenders into make half-clearances which we can run onto. In the past, we’ve struggled to find any space in the final third with too much slow possession. And Kenlock has been a revelation since he’s returned - uses the ball very well. Wilson and Toto look solid. Just a lot more energy throughout the team.

Doncaster next who are on an even worse run of form.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:37 am

Doncaster are currently 16th in last 6 games form table and Accrington 18th. While we are in 10th. Let's hope that is reflected in next two results...

Hull are in 20th by the way.

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=3