Evans looking to sell up / Club Sold ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Re: Evans looking to sell up / Club Sold ?

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:41 pm

Were thinking earlier it's a shame now that tems seem dependent on a takeover or rich ownership in order to compete or be successful. I think SKY tv in the early 90s is a lot to blame, things have progessively got out of hand regards money and commercial enterprise. We put together a team 40, 45 years ago that was able to challenge Europe's elite and deserving of a league championship, not through investment or foreign owners, just a damn good manager and owners in the Cobbolds who put together a highly motivated team of individuals that brought together their own unqiue parts and attributes. It's not so much living in the past for times that may never be replicated, just proving a point success can come from within.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:34 pm

Mark MacAdam ( Sky sports), tweet

I asked Paul Lambert about his future at Ipswich, this was his reply:

“When there’s a takeover, 99.9% of the time they bring in a new manager.”

Looks like his days at #itfc are coming to an end, despite their brilliant recent form.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:52 pm

saint jude wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:41 pm
Were thinking earlier it's a shame now that tems seem dependent on a takeover or rich ownership in order to compete or be successful. I think SKY tv in the early 90s is a lot to blame, things have progessively got out of hand regards money and commercial enterprise. We put together a team 40, 45 years ago that was able to challenge Europe's elite and deserving of a league championship, not through investment or foreign owners, just a damn good manager and owners in the Cobbolds who put together a highly motivated team of individuals that brought together their own unqiue parts and attributes. It's not so much living in the past for times that may never be replicated, just proving a point success can come from within.
Couldn't agree more with this. Gone are the days when Manchester United could be relegated also.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:44 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:52 pm
saint jude wrote:
Couldn't agree more with this. Gone are the days when Manchester United could be relegated also.

VR I’ve long berated Sky involvement with the game . I think they’ve ruined it tbh but there’s a whole generation now that know no other way about the game . It’s plastic with a glass ceiling for those outside of the PL. if you’re lucky enough to get promotion you’re then in a Sky financially supported bubble which is in essence a PL 2 which is half the championship now. With clubs not good enough to make a go of it in the PL but artificially made “ good” in the Championship due to the massive Sky hand outs ( largely for “failure “/ a Mick McCarthy view btw) .

Anyway : here’s Lambert dropping Evans in it again potentially..,,

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... rt-7795148

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:22 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:44 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:52 pm
saint jude wrote:

VR I’ve long berated Sky involvement with the game . I think they’ve ruined it tbh but there’s a whole generation now that know no other way about the game . It’s plastic with a glass ceiling for those outside of the PL. if you’re lucky enough to get promotion you’re then in a Sky financially supported bubble which is in essence a PL 2 which is half the championship now. With clubs not good enough to make a go of it in the PL but artificially made “ good” in the Championship due to the massive Sky hand outs ( largely for “failure “/ a Mick McCarthy view btw) .

Anyway : here’s Lambert dropping Evans in it again potentially..,,

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... rt-7795148
Yep spot on agree 100%

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:36 pm

PAUL COOK WAS SITTING IN HIS OFFICE????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tell you what..... WHATEVER happens. Ipswich Town Football Club (from my personal point of view) better get their f**king act together (not just long term on the pitch) but OFF IT. Every Cnut and their dug are laughing at this Shyte show and it’s embarrassing.

Pre Doncaster game, Cook is in the building?? Get your f**king sh*t together. :twisted:

......... sure it’ll all be OK after the yan....... sorry, .... the “Americans” take over. 👍🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:17 pm

If all goes well and we do get new owners I don't expect it to happen any time soon these things always drag on.☹️

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:13 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:17 pm
If all goes well and we do get new owners I don't expect it to happen any time soon these things always drag on.☹️
I imagine if it is what some think that it may or may not be then it's probably might or might not have been going on a while already... 'Next month' has been mentioned a lot, I hope that means March.

My worry is what happens if Town sneak in to the playoffs places, what does that do the value of the club, or more scarily, Evans' desire to sell?! Hopefully not a lot, because if we do somehow scrape a playoff place, then we would still have to somehow scrape promotion and even then we'd be a very weak team in the Championship with no funding potential from Evans. So I hope I've answered my own question, just sell now for the love of god!

wilnisfan

Post by wilnisfan » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:27 am

Any investor looking for a bargain would look for a recently relegated league one club looking for investment and the owner is pressured into selling due to bad performances.

This pretty much describes our situation and i guess Evans was trying to make it look more attractive for buyers during the ill fated Hurst era by selling off players and making the bank account look rosey but it backfired and all investors needed to do was bode their time until Evans appetite to keep going broke.

However just because someone buys us doesn’t mean they are rich, they will also look to get into premiership but probably over a longer period.

I would expect evolution and not revolution, and I think I don’t mind us taking a step by step approach as long as the decision making was on point.

The most telling thing will be how many low quality loans and free transfers we take on come summer

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:02 am

wilnisfan wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:27 am
Any investor looking for a bargain would look for a recently relegated league one club looking for investment and the owner is pressured into selling due to bad performances.

This pretty much describes our situation and i guess Evans was trying to make it look more attractive for buyers during the ill fated Hurst era by selling off players and making the bank account look rosey but it backfired and all investors needed to do was bode their time until Evans appetite to keep going broke.

However just because someone buys us doesn’t mean they are rich, they will also look to get into premiership but probably over a longer period.

I would expect evolution and not revolution, and I think I don’t mind us taking a step by step approach as long as the decision making was on point.

The most telling thing will be how many low quality loans and free transfers we take on come summer
I agree

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:00 pm

No offer to buy the club on the table and Evans expects to be here at the end of the season...... hmmmmm

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:33 pm

Take a moment to wonder what kind of return a potential investor could expect from buying the club. When Evans took control 13 years back the club name wasn't in too bad a condition having been adequately nurtured by Sheepshanks and two capable managers before it i.e. George Burley and Royle. With it a recent appearance in European competition once again. (Not quite the years of before but a win over Inter Milan all the same)

On to present time and you're looking at a team that has fallen into the third league of 'football', a succession of tried and failed managers and last true domestic trophy going back to 1978. Point being right now we're not an attractive proposition and Evans like it or not has left the club in a far worse state than when he found it. I'd be real cautious of making an offer if I were to invest or put time money and faith into a venture that isn't as viable as some would believe. While fresh and new investment and ownership seem imperative given the way time has gone the past decade, kind of feel nervous as to what the club could be letting itself in for. Someone comes in again like Marcus Evans and treats the club like another hobby-horse or side interest to other more pivotal business interests, feel it may not work for us again and just a continuation of the past 10 years and before. It's not knowing what to expect or being disappointed and let down over enough time, kind of gets to you in the end, feel apprehensive about what could be out there or coming in.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:00 pm
No offer to buy the club on the table and Evans expects to be here at the end of the season...... hmmmmm
I saw that too, but I'm not sure I believe it. There's been too much media speculation for this to be fake news. Maybe Evans means there's been no official offer?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:56 pm

This guy might be right here ....what do you think ?

If Lee O'Neill says it then it must be true !

Don't panic - once a sale has been agreed then its normal procedure to enter into a non disclosure agreement - which means nobody admits anything until it's a done deal.

When asked directly Evans / O'Neill can either admit it and break the agreement or deny it ... thats all they CAN do .... remember we've not heard anything from the Americans either !!!

Just sit tight - i'm very confident this will still happen !... all these people with all their sources can't all be wrong :)

In addition Phil Ham has just stated this ....

That the deal is with the EFL for ratification. I assume that process takes a while and probably gets under way when stuff's still ongoing. Not an expert though. Got to call someone but really not had any time!

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:15 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:56 pm
This guy might be right here ....what do you think ?

If Lee O'Neill says it then it must be true !

Don't panic - once a sale has been agreed then its normal procedure to enter into a non disclosure agreement - which means nobody admits anything until it's a done deal.

When asked directly Evans / O'Neill can either admit it and break the agreement or deny it ... thats all they CAN do .... remember we've not heard anything from the Americans either !!!

Just sit tight - i'm very confident this will still happen !... all these people with all their sources can't all be wrong :)

In addition Phil Ham has just stated this ....

That the deal is with the EFL for ratification. I assume that process takes a while and probably gets under way when stuff's still ongoing. Not an expert though. Got to call someone but really not had any time!
I think you are right. I'm mnot sure how any manager wold come in unless they knew what was happening regarding the ownership of the club.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:45 pm

Nick Ames
@NickAmes82
I understand Ipswich takeover remains bang on track, whatever else is going round today. Could be days, could be a few weeks, but it's not far off at all. #ITFC

To which Phil Ham simply says ,” he’s right”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:49 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:45 pm
Nick Ames
@NickAmes82
I understand Ipswich takeover remains bang on track, whatever else is going round today. Could be days, could be a few weeks, but it's not far off at all. #ITFC

To which Phil Ham simply says ,” he’s right”......” It'll happen in a matter of a few weeks as I understand it”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:06 pm

hallamblue wrote:
.....remember we've not heard anything from the Americans either !!!
That in itself makes me think it could all be BS. They can never keep their traps shut.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:46 pm

... and more takeovers collapse at the final hurdle than those that complete. We’ll soon have a better idea when we see how quickly or not Paul Cook is appointed. If Marcus Evans is staying the appointment can go through swiftly, if Evans is selling Paul Cooks appointment will most likely be delayed until the takeover has been completed.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:32 pm

Source Phil Ham :
Re the sacking of Lambert ....
“ I think it would have happened anyway. But I find it difficult to believe there hasn't been some liaising on the matter and from what I'm told there has been contact between the incoming consortium and Cook.”

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:35 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:06 pm
hallamblue wrote:
.....remember we've not heard anything from the Americans either !!!
That in itself makes me think it could all be BS. They can never keep their traps shut.
A lot of journos will loose their credibility if this is all BS Marko!
Just to much noise for it not to happen I hope.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:53 pm

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:27 am

Assuming this takeover goes ahead, I really hope the new owners modernise the way we operate as a football club behind the scenes. It shouldn’t be a case of let’s just get a hot shot manager in and hope for the best. We always seem behind the curve when it comes to the business and recruitment side. For example, we seem to stockpile too many injury-prone and mediocre players who seem to go backwards in their careers. I wouldn’t be too upset if we can sell players like Downes or Dozzell at the right time for the right price as long as we’ve got replacements lined up in advance. A club like Brentford are really shrewd in their recruitment and we seem archaic in comparison in the way we operate. I can’t believe Bowman is still here as director of football/ chief scout after Mick left. Do we ever anything about him?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:27 am

The journalist who broke the news of a takeover bid from a consortium involving USA businessman Brett Johnson has explained further details of his investigation.

The Athletic's Matt Slater, a former BBC reporter, appeared on the Talking Town podcast on the fan media Home Dressing Room YouTube channel last night to offer further insight into his article.

He was interviewed by Home Dressing Room network owner and Talking Town host Martin Lambert – who is taking over as SuffolkNews' new Ipswich Town columnist this week from Joey Sadler – as well as his regular contributor Matt Phillips.

Earlier in the day, Town's general manager of football operations, Lee O'Neill, told a press conference, following manager Paul Lambert leaving, "there isn’t an offer on the table" and that he was confident owner Marcus Evans would still be in charge come the end of the season.

“I am confident. Marcus is (as) driven (as) ever, I’ve spoken to him a few times over the last few days," he said.

But Slater disputed that, telling Talk of The Town's Extra-Time show: "Not only is there one offer on the table, there is more than one more on the table!

The Athletic's Matt Slater has claimed to have lifted the lid on discussions surrounding a potential sale of Ipswich Town FC to a USA-based consortiumPicture: Steven Gardiner

"Lee O'Neill is either out of the loop and just doesn't know what is going on or he's fibbing, and I don't mind either to be honest as they are both plausible and credible in that Marcus Evans is selling this and he doesn't have to tell his staff if he doesn't want to.

"And everyone has signed NDAs (non disclosure agreements) in these things and Lee O'Neill isn't party to the conversation, or, he's fobbing off the local paper.

"Either is fine, but to say there is no offer on the table is, I am sorry, nonsense. I know of two, because how I find out about the Americans is by the other party.

"The other lot have been talking to Evans as well for months and didn't get it or changed their mind.

"They were the ones that filled me in with a lot of the gaps and I was able to then, once I had the name, reach out to American colleagues and contacts to go 'right, who are this lot', so that was it."

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:18 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:32 pm
Source Phil Ham :
Re the sacking of Lambert ....
“ I think it would have happened anyway. But I find it difficult to believe there hasn't been some liaising on the matter and from what I'm told there has been contact between the incoming consortium and Cook.”
Of course there has. Wouldn't you want to talk to them before accepting the job? And wouldn't you want to be negotiating severance clauses &c if you were taking over the club.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:22 pm

just passing on the comment really DB

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:28 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:27 am
Assuming this takeover goes ahead, I really hope the new owners modernise the way we operate as a football club behind the scenes. It shouldn’t be a case of let’s just get a hot shot manager in and hope for the best. We always seem behind the curve when it comes to the business and recruitment side. For example, we seem to stockpile too many injury-prone and mediocre players who seem to go backwards in their careers. I wouldn’t be too upset if we can sell players like Downes or Dozzell at the right time for the right price as long as we’ve got replacements lined up in advance. A club like Brentford are really shrewd in their recruitment and we seem archaic in comparison in the way we operate. I can’t believe Bowman is still here as director of football/ chief scout after Mick left. Do we ever anything about him?
but this underlines the whole problem at this Club doesn't it tange: Communication.....or lack of it!! Evans runs his business like this it seems .

I appreciate there will be a non disclosure thingy insitu right now, but through Evans whole tenure her at this Club , there has been a constant lack of information , or transparency from him . Even his staff don't know what's going on!

Hopefully he Evans era is soon to come to an end, and we move onto a new plain with the new owners ….but if this take over doesn't happen , then I am fearful for the long term prospects of ITFC( as I've always been tbh ) but can see no hope if the owner refuses to sell.
I'm hoping that Covid has forced his hand in his global empire to finally offload a non profit making part of it

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:08 pm

Thank God that first paragraph ended well, Mike. I thought it was going to be.......

“The journalist who broke the news of a takeover bid from a consortium involving USA businessman Brett Johnson has been found shot and killed by US Marine style marksmen.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:14 pm

:lol:
The guns were supplied by the mercenary that is ME.