Ipswich Town vs Doncaster Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Back to Back wins?

Town Win
47%
Donny Win
40%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

Ipswich Town vs Doncaster Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:50 pm

ImageIpswich Town v Doncaster Rovers Image

Saturday 27th February 2021– 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

I Think We've All Been To Hull And Back Lately........

What a pleasant change to be writing a preview with a little bit of the feelgood factor having returned, for weeks now I have struggled to find anything positive to write about at all and it has hardly made for good reading but sadly that has been the reality of it as I have seen it. Thankfully this One is being written after what for me was probably our best performance of the season, it looked like we got the game plan spot on and in doing so made Hull look very ordinary indeed, I say "made Hull" because I think the way we about our game plan restricted their better players to bit part roles, our closing down was first class as we hunted in packs at times, there seemed to be far more Grey shirts on the pitch than the Gold & black ones, the work rate was good to see and we seemed to ooze belief and confidence at a time when you would think we had zero of either.

There is one or Two suggestions as to what the formation was but for me it was pretty much a 4-4-2 at times and it worked a treat, as has been said already having James Norwood back to lead the line makes a massive difference and his cool control and finish was what we have been lacking all season, not to mention the sublime pass from a certain Myles Kenlock which put him through on goal. It makes Paul Lambert's comments of a few weeks ago even more bizarre in that we are crap when trying to play with two up front, he will probably say it wasn't Two up front but it's a s near as damn it.

I think some of the returning players have stepped in and tightened us up no end, the already mentioned Kenlock has been superb lately while the CB duo of James Wilson & Toto Nsiala have come back in and for the most part have looked assured and solid and in doing so have kept two clean sheets against good opposition. Toto has his critics and we all know why but he has a lot of good attributes too, none more so than the bravery he shows at putting his head in where it hurts, once last night was reminiscent of Luke Chambers who goes in where Angels fear to tread, I don't for One second believe we would see pretty boy Woolfenden doing the same thing, I just hope we stick with what we have stumbled upon now and see where it takes us.

While quite a few Town players had good games I think it right to single out Andre Dozzell who for me was superb on the night, as the home commentator repeatedly said he was, along with Teddy Bishop running the game throughout, I thought Andre oozed the class we have known is in there all game, offering himself at every opportunity, looking for the ball and spraying passes around the pitch to get us on the front foot and thankfully they were all pretty much forward thinking passes for a change, he looked the real deal. It has largely been accepted that Flynn Downes is the jewell in our crown but I would hope we stick with this Midfield pairing for the next game too and see if they can really start to build up a good relationship.

The win sees us climb to the giddy heights of Tenth place in the League table and a mere Five points off the play off places where Doncaster Rovers, our next opponents find themselves. With so many games to go we are still clearly in the mix and could we be that team that every season comes from the pack to gatecrash the play offs ? While we musn't get ahead of ourselves as it is only a couple of games since we were dire it isn't beyond the realms of possibility. February has seen us take Eight points from a possible Fifteen so far but we have now kept Three clean sheets in a row and are at least creating more openings, the win at Hull will have given us confidence and that is everything in Football, getting the monkey off our back of not being able to take a point off the top teams has now been lifted too and we don't need to keep mentioning that little stat anymore.

So what of Doncaster Rovers, Three defeats and a draw in the last Four games is hardly play off form and it could well be we go there at the right time, they have also conceded Eleven goals in the last Four games so defensively they look suspect, defeats to Fleetwood, Accrington & Sunderland have been anything but impressive so we should go there in confident mood for a change, it's amazing how a couple of good results can change the mentality and belief, a win would really have us all thinking have we turned a corner ? It would see us close to a mere Two points behind Donny who a couple of weeks ago were looking like league One winners, as Lambert has repeatedly said there is still a lot of Football to be played, not sure where I sit on him being right to be honest, does this change the behind the scene situation at Portman Road, I really do hope not. As for the outcome of this One, it could go either way but I am expecting Town to come back to Suffolk with something. COYB'S

The Opposition – Doncaster Rovers

The club was formed in 1879 by Albert Jenkins, a fitter at Doncaster's Great Northern Railway works. He gathered together some friends to play a match against the Yorkshire Institute for the Deaf and Dumb in September 1879. On walking back from the game, the team took a rest at the Hall Cross, and had a discussion in which they decided to play more and called themselves Doncaster Rovers.

They were first elected to the Football League in 1901, as a replacement for New Brighton Tower. Their first season in the League was in fact the one when Doncaster achieved their highest position ever (7th in the Football League Second Division). They only lasted two seasons in the league before being voted out in favour of local rivals Bradford City, having finished the 1902 season in the bottom three.

They spent the subsequent season in the Midland League, only managing 11th place out of 18 but were elected back to Division 2. This time, in 1904–05, Doncaster finished bottom with W3 D2 L29, adrift by 12 points, gaining only 8 points – an unfortunate still standing record. They were voted out once again.

They remained in the Midland League until they were again accepted into the Football League Division 3 North for 1923–24 to replace Stalybridge Celtic.

The next few seasons saw them rise towards the top of the table, then decline towards the bottom, before in the early 1930s finishing consistently near the top and finally becoming Champions in 1934–35.

Rovers spent two seasons in Division 2, before being relegated in 1936–37.

Doncaster Rovers were involved in the longest ever competitive football match, against Stockport County at Edgeley Park on 30 March 1946, in a Division Three (North) cup tie. The match was deadlocked at 2–2 at 90 minutes, and after two 10-minute periods of extra time there was no further score. The rule at that time was that the game would carry on until one team scored. However, after 203 minutes, and with darkness closing in, the game was finally stopped.

In 1946–47 Doncaster set a record for the most games won in a league season (33), when they won the Third Division North title. The following season saw them relegated from the Second Division, but two years later, they won the Third Division North again. This time they stayed in the Second Division for eight seasons, their most successful period to date.

During the early 1990s, Ken Richardson, who was later described by detectives as "the type that would trample a two-year-old child to pick up a 2p bit"took over as the majority shareholder of the club. He ploughed a lot of money into Doncaster Rovers with one thing on his mind, a new stadium. When he was refused a new stadium by the council he soon lost interest. Richardson hired three men to torch Belle Vue and planned to sell the ground to developers. The attempt put Richardson in jail for four years. In 1998 Rovers dropped out of the league with a −83 goal difference.

The Westferry Consortium took over the Club just before the beginning of the 1998–99 season with a commitment to invest heavily in the club. They also brought in John Ryan as a non-executive chairman and he took over at the end of this season. Having aspirations of returning it to the second tier where he had seen them when he was a boy, he stated he would build a new stadium within ten years, both of which he went on to achieve within the ten years. Doncaster found their best form in 50 years in the 2000s.

After five seasons in the Conference League, under the helm of manager Dave Penney the club returned to the fourth tier (known at the time as Division Three) after winning the 2003 Conference Play-Off final.

In 2003–04, the first season they were back in the Football League, Rovers achieved promotion to the third tier as Champions.

A new stadium was completed in December 2006. Doncaster's first game at the new Keepmoat Stadium was against Huddersfield Town on New Year's Day, 2007.

On 1 April 2007, Doncaster Rovers travelled to the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff to play Bristol Rovers in the Football League Trophy final which they won 3-2 to claim their first major trophy.

2007–08 proved to be one of the most exciting seasons in Doncaster's history. Defeat on the final day of the season cost them automatic promotion but they won their semi-final playoff to advance to the League One play-off final at Wembley on Sunday 25 May 2008 where they beat Leeds United 1–0 to move into Football League Championship after a half century absence.

The first half of the 2008–09 season saw Doncaster struggling to adapt to the Championship despite a promising start which saw them bottom of the Championship on 20 December 2008. Rovers managed to turn things around and ultimately ended their first season in the Championship comfortably in 14th position.

Doncaster finished two places higher in 12th in the 2009/10 season, however the 2010–11 season proved to be Doncaster's most trying season in the Championship thus far finishing in 21st place.

Doncaster Rovers struggled in the 2011–12 season and were relegated to League One with three games still to play.

The squad was rebuilt for the 2012–13 season with 19 players leaving. Expectations were low, but after an average start, Doncaster finished the season one point above Bournemouth as Champions.

Following promotion to the Championship for the 2013–14 season, Paul Dickov was brought in as manager. To boost support for their chosen charity, Bluebell Wood Children's Hospice, the club signed Louis Tomlinson of boy band One Direction on a non-contract basis.

On 9 November, John Ryan gave an emotional farewell and stepped down as Chairman of the Club after 15 years, amid reports of boardroom disagreements following a proposed takeover bid by a hedge-fund consortium lead by Sequentia Capital.

On 3 May 2014 Doncaster were relegated back to League One after just one season following a defeat to Leicester City on the final day of the season.

Rovers finished the 2014–15 season in 13th place, before being relegated to League Two after finishing 21st in 2015–16 with new manager Darren Ferguson.

The 2016–17 season saw them being promoted back to League 1 at the first attempt in 3rd position.

Darren Ferguson left his post in June 2017 and was replaced by another former Peterborough boss in Grant McCann ahead of the 2018/19 season. Under McCann, Rovers finished sixth in League One, qualifying for the end of season play-offs where they faced Charlton Athletic over two legs. A 2–1 defeat in the first leg and an early Krystian Bielik goal in the second left Rovers with a mountain to climb at The Valley, but goals from captain Tommy Rowe and Andy Butler forced extra time. John Marquis put Rovers ahead for the first time in extra time, only for Darren Pratley to equalise a minute later. Rovers lost the penalty shoot-out 4–3 with misses coming from Rowe and Marquis as they fell just short of making the Wembley Stadium showdown.

McCann left in the summer for Championship side Hull City and was replaced by former defender Darren Moore ahead of the 2019/20 campaign.

Last season Doncaster finished League 1 in 9th place

The Manager – Darren Moore

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 10th place with 44 points

9 Feb Peterborough 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

13 Feb Shrewsbury pp. Ipswich Town

16 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Northampton

20 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Oxford Utd

23 Feb Hull City 0-1 Ipswich Town

Doncaster Rovers Last 5 Matches – Currently in 6th place with 49 points

9 Feb Fleetwood 3 - 1 Doncaster

13 Feb Sunderland 4 - 1 Doncaster

17 Feb Doncaster 0 - 1 Accrington

20 Feb Doncaster 3 - 3 Hull City

23 Feb Blackpool pp. Doncaster

Match Referee – Martin Coy

IPSWICH TOWN 1 DONCASTER ROVERS 0

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Doncaster Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:16 pm

Good preview........ and is there an intentional mistake in there?
Or is it a “are you reading my previews” test? :lol:
*whispers* .... very very last sentence.

Won’t be able to watch this one but certainly hoping Azzurro can take over “watching” duties and it’s entertaining! Don’t jinx it!! :D

Not even going to predict. Just play as well and prove to the fans that a corner has been turned.

Ref caption:
Player: “Hey ref? Can you be arsed today?”
Ref: (picture)

Darren Moore caption:
Reporter: “Did you see Ipswich v Hull, Darren? How do you prepare?”
Darren: (picture)

Doncaster picture caption:

Where’s wally?
There he is.
No, sorry. There he is.
Wait. No. There he is.
No, no no, sorry. There he is.

Portman Road caption:
Guy in black coat, black trousers, ginger hair, speaking with guy in green cargo shorts:

“No mask, pal? You been vaccinated?”

Just a taste of post Covid football. 🤦‍♂️

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:56 pm

Deja Vu, Balls? Half correct last night. 👍 :D

Certainly wouldn’t bet against that this coming Saturday. Steak bakes crossed ..... sorry, 🤦‍♂️, fingers crossed.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:47 pm

Have we finally turned the corner? 2-0, and one step closer to the playoffs. Believe.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:00 pm

Yes Marko lol, I wrote it thinking we were away for some reason !!!! But I am pleased someone reads it haha.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:32 pm

I’d noticed the references to an away game but was too polite to mention it 😂😂

My fear is that we will think we are world beaters and forget that our recent good performances owe as much or more to effort and closing down the opposition than to ability. If we work as hard we will win. Otherwise we won’t.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:33 am

They got Apollo Creed's trainer as team coach ? Hope they don't beat the sh*t out of us but voted for the home team victory.

Team has improved in recent games but once again you got to believe its too late once again for a play_off opportunity. Lambert could soon be on a plateau with Jock Stein and Bob Paisley for managerial greatness if further results go our way. f**king hell some will insist on legendary status with another impressive score. Think we'll win this one, the opposition concede a lot of goals and are in something of poor form. Seems like a good a time as any to take them on.

Town 2. Doncaster 0

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:51 am

What a load of rubbish! We win one game against a poor Hull, and now we’re gonna beat every team? We’ll be lucky to get a draw against Doncaster. Donny will be looking to pounce on our puttering season. True test will be can we win?

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:36 am

Yes this is a test for sure. Donny are on a worse run than us at the moment and were lucky the Blackpool game was postponed as 'Pool are right near the top of the form tables right now.

PL has some difficult decisions to make about levels of fitness. Especially Chambers in my view. I think the rest of the 11 should be able to play 3 games in 8 days as long as they didn't pick up any knocks at Hull. Personally I hope he sticks with the same starting 11 but the physios know best. What's clear is that at some point we will have to rotate players out to rest them since it's Sat/Tues for some weeks ahead now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:26 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:51 am
What a load of rubbish! We win one game against a poor Hull, and now we’re gonna beat every team? We’ll be lucky to get a draw against Doncaster. Donny will be looking to pounce on our puttering season. True test will be can we win?
Come on, 9! :lol: What’s that all about? No one is saying Ipswich are going to beat everyone.
What do you expect after the previous 180 minutes of football? Continued doom?? It’s an observation that COMPARED to previous match reviews, there is a shift. Something has got better.
If f*cked 3-0 by Donny...... some will definitely jump on the “rubbish” bandwagon. Nothing surer. Might join you on there! 👍

You got to recognise progress if it happens however minuscule. Jaysus H, dude.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:58 pm

:lol:

Ok....... putting a tenner on that!

The fudge donut better have his shooting boots on! :D

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:00 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:16 pm

Won’t be able to watch this one but certainly hoping Azzurro can take over “watching” duties and it’s entertaining! Don’t jinx it!! :D

Working Saturday, the superstitious amongst us will be pleased to know :lol: . Hoping to tune in to Radio Suffolk in the van instead.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:13 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:00 pm
marko69 wrote:

Working Saturday, the superstitious amongst us will be pleased to know :lol: . Hoping to tune in to Radio Suffolk in the van instead.
Van?

What’s the trade , Azz?

Please don’t tell me you’ve added your name to the several million new dog walkers. 🤦‍♂️

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:55 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:13 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:00 pm
marko69 wrote:

Van?

What’s the trade , Azz?

Please don’t tell me you’ve added your name to the several million new dog walkers. 🤦‍♂️
Fortunately, I chose to have a career change in 2018. Had spent most of my working life in the coach industry, mainly driving them, but applied for a job as a supermarket delivery driver. Knowing what I know now (Covid), it has turned out to be a fantastic move for me, keeping me very busy doing what I love - driving.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:53 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:55 pm
Fortunately, I chose to have a career change in 2018. Had spent most of my working life in the coach industry, mainly driving them, but applied for a job as a supermarket delivery driver. Knowing what I know now (Covid), it has turned out to be a fantastic move for me, keeping me very busy doing what I love - driving.
Great stuff. 👍 You bloody street blocker you! :lol:

But I can see this Saturday clearly now, Azzurro.

Commentary in van after a delivery:

“Ball is out, Ipswich throw, Edwards looking for some urgency......”

Guy opens front door, starts walking down path....

“Edwards takes quick throw....., Parrott flicks it onto Bishop who’s raced through the middle......”

Guy shouts, “HOI, driver......”

“..... picks up the ball, sees Norwood, Doncaster keeper slips on the wet.....

“DRIVER.......”

“...... ball carries onto Norwood, open goal, HE SHOOTS...... “ radio off

“WHATS THIS? MUSHROOM SOUP? I ASKED FOR CHICKEN!!! THIS ISNT AN ALTERNATIVE!! HATE MUSHROOMS!”

Get out van, sort the issue.

Radio back on.

“..... and we have no idea at all how that donut missed. That would’ve been the brace for a lot of bets across the country.”

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:09 pm

"street blocker" :lol: :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:46 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:26 pm
number 9 wrote:
Come on, 9! :lol: What’s that all about? No one is saying Ipswich are going to beat everyone.
What do you expect after the previous 180 minutes of football? Continued doom?? It’s an observation that COMPARED to previous match reviews, there is a shift. Something has got better.
If f*cked 3-0 by Donny...... some will definitely jump on the “rubbish” bandwagon. Nothing surer. Might join you on there! 👍

Where were you when I was being Mr Positive a few weeks ago? :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:11 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:46 pm
marko69 wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:26 pm
number 9 wrote:

Where were you when I was being Mr Positive a few weeks ago? :lol:
Was busy being negative! :lol:

Tellin ye man....... if it’s performances like vs Hull ..... it’s a tricky situation re Herr Lamb.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:05 am

Hope this isn’t the post of doom, but I think Town might just be about to go on a mini run of wins 👍. So I’ve gone for a 2-1win.

Uppa Towen 💙

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:11 pm

Well I've voted a loss to Donny at home, with just the mere fact we always lose to a team that's on a bad run of form, also too much of a good thing is not good for the Ipswich fans, we need that sombre, pissed off looking face attitude that we are all so accustomed to, where we can all rant and rave to our F*****K hearts content at 5pm Saturday :lol:

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:37 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:11 pm
Well I've voted a loss to Donny at home, with just the mere fact we always lose to a team that's on a bad run of form, also too much of a good thing is not good for the Ipswich fans, we need that sombre, pissed off looking face attitude that we are all so accustomed to, where we can all rant and rave to our F*****K hearts content at 5pm Saturday :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Will the uncertainty of a takeover and change of manager have a positive or negative impact on the team I wonder.

Will Lambert throw his toys out of the pram at the prospect of being sacked, and field the under 12s?

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:37 pm

Went for Town win on Tuesday night so same again 3-0 Town providing same team is fielded. COYB

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:45 pm

Andym wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:37 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:11 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Will the uncertainty of a takeover and change of manager have a positive or negative impact on the team I wonder.

Will Lambert throw his toys out of the pram at the prospect of being sacked, and field the under 12s?
You could be right Andy with the takeover and players will be pumped up, hope your right buddy

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:01 pm

Town unchanged 👍👍

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:56 pm

Unchanged side, great to see. Let's see if they fly out of the traps again. All these rumours of a take over my be distracting but it all honesty it should be business as usual for the players, one game at a time etc.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:06 pm

Is this a record for Lambert, the same starting team for three consecutive games, Wow !

If the defence can play another blinder and there’s no reason why the shouldn’t, I think we can nick this 1-0 although it won’t come easy as Donny usually score when on the road.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:07 pm

Wtf was Judge doing

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:07 pm

judge - pure crap

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:25 pm