LAMBERT GONE !

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: LAMBERT GONE !

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:46 am

saint jude wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:40 am
Timing doesn't make sense, team has a decent run of last few games, one of the better spells of the season thus far, Lambert's demeanor was believe improved, even looked half-competent, lo and behold he quits although guess it were something inevitable. Just didn't imagine he would walk away at this very point in time. And what of the five year contract extension provided to him say a year or year an a half ago, Lambert's tough to figure out at the best of times, got to be relief there's been some resolution.

I got nothing against him personally but hell he's been a near disaster here. Largely at fault for the club falling into the Third League of English 'football' and his record of wins to games ratio with us is simply sub-standard. Or now what is the past tense, was.

Wonder who will take him on now. Might have some renewed interest after the last month here regards other employers but keep away from East Glasgow, hope they have the sense to avoid that mistake. Cook may be favorite to replace the name but in truth I don't know enough about him. People seem encouraged and say good things, worry is that were (initially) true of a number of other appointments made during the Evans ownership. As for the latter, sure as hell hope he follows the manager out the exit. A lot going on here at present time but a big step was made today in the right direction without question.

Saint I’d suggest timing might make more sense if you put it into the context of this potential take over context. Evans would have to clear the decks ( pay off Lambert), so the Consortium can bring their man in. It’s poignant that Cook hasn’t taken any jobs we’re clubs have been linked with him, suggesting perhaps that he has been in talks with members of the consortium for several months (when they sounded him out?). A lot of this take over discussions would have been going on for months behind the scenes. But things always “get out “in the end don’t they .

Lambert is a VERY wealthy man having got pay offs from Norwich and now us and no doubt all the other Clubs he’s stayed at for far less time than he has at Town. He’s free to pursue the Celtic job if he wants to now, and they’d have no compensation to pay either. But seriously doubt they even consider him. Either way all parties concerned are now free to move on.

Let’s just wait and see if this much required take over actually materialises .....

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:53 am

Far from being a mess I think! We might have people coming in who actually know what they are doing.👍

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:00 am

Not sorry to see him go but I think injuries made a big difference to his season. Bishop has struggled since returning, Edwards was a loss, particularly while Norwood was out. The greatest loss was Norwood, and he (PL) had to rely on cheap replacements. Without Norwood we could not have played football the way we have for the last 3 games, we have no other striker who can hold the ball up. Lambert’s error was not playing 2 up front when we didn’t have one who could operate in that way, but the passing it from the back was the right approach when you haven’t got a striker who can make it stick.

Like Saint, I don’t know enough about Cook to comment. I try not to comment on players or managers until I’ve seen them and can form an opinion over a few games. Cook certainly got results, but so did McCarthy in the early days. Hopefully he can entertain AND get results.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:43 am

Our last three results almost suggest that the team did it for Lambert’s farewell. It’s funny how sometimes players can raise their game for a manager and at other times appear not give a sh*t. I have a feeling that players don’t really like managerial changes, and maybe they thought upping their game would keep him in post.

I don’t know much about Paul Cook but his appointment doesn’t excite me, maybe I’m of an age where I still expect Town to attract a higher quality manager. It appears to me each Managerial appointment during Marcus Evans reign is a notch down on the previous incumbent, probably because each manager has taken the club down to a lower place than when he arrived.

Whoever the new man is Paul Cook or another we just have to give him a chance and see what happens, I just hope he has a Plan B when Plan A isn’t working and can see how to change things mid game. I’m also hoping he won’t want to give everyone a chance by rotating the team for the next month or so taking us back to where Paul Lambert was until recently.

With the right motivation and tactics the “New Manager” has an outside chance of making the play offs and even getting promotion in his first season at the club, what a massive uplift that would give all us Town fans.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:37 pm

The fact that Cook is willing to come to Ipswich for me means that a takeover is a cert.
Would be very surprised if he would have taken the job under Evans.
Play-off are a distinct possibility for Town now as Cook for me is a quality appointment.
Mind I've thought a lot of the previous appointments were fine at the time !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:37 pm

I do think things are going on behind the scenes regarding this potential take over.... there’s too much being said outside of the Club for it not to have some substance.

Anyway this little thread about the clubs discussion with Cook.... make of it what you will guys

https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/501586/paul-cook/#5

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:41 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:37 pm
The fact that Cook is willing to come to Ipswich for me means that a takeover is a cert.
Would be very surprised if he would have taken the job under Evans.
Play-off are a distinct possibility for Town now as Cook for me is a quality appointment.
Mind I've thought a lot of the previous appointments were fine at the time !
Lol , he’s there is always a risk in any decisions being made 8n football it seems. But IF this consortium are leading these recent events ( Lamberts removal, Cook being identified and then interviewed etc), this is actually NOT Evans making the decisions for once. Because with all due respect , he hasn’t got a lot right so far has he bless him ! Cook appears to have declined approaches from other clubs in recent weeks . Why? Maybe because he was already in talks with this consortium?

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:56 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:24 am
I agree with all that Tang and I too don't get the "what a mess thing" at all
I was referring really to the way it appears to be being done. I'm not unhappy about the change. It just looks messy. But it can be that other events over the next few days bring it all into context.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:06 pm

Big appointment for Paul Cook.
Done very well in the lower leagues and did a superb job at Wigan in Championship.
I'm confident he can get Town out of League One, be interesting to see what he can achieve in the Championship as the expectation will be promotion.
His track record at every club he has been at is strong. No nonsense and animated type.
Bit of hope now for Town fans

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:12 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:43 am

Whoever the new man is Paul Cook or another we just have to give him a chance and see what happens, I just hope he has a Plan B when Plan A isn’t working and can see how to change things mid game.
That, I think, is crucial. Not only for results but also to keep the fans on side. A willingness to change and try something different mid game is an essential part of good management.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:15 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:06 pm
Big appointment for Paul Cook.
Done very well in the lower leagues and did a superb job at Wigan in Championship.
I'm confident he can get Town out of League One, be interesting to see what he can achieve in the Championship as the expectation will be promotion.
His track record at every club he has been at is strong. No nonsense and animated type.
Bit of hope now for Town fans
Agree with this, I too think if people delve a little deeper they will see he has a strong track record.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:18 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:56 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:24 am
I agree with all that Tang and I too don't get the "what a mess thing" at all
I was referring really to the way it appears to be being done. I'm not unhappy about the change. It just looks messy. But it can be that other events over the next few days bring it all into context.
We’ll have to wait and see, but this looks anything but messy. It feels as if all ducks have been put in a row and things are falling into place as per planned. Maybe the messy part was when - not if - Lambert was going to leave, hence the heated discussions between him and ME.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:18 pm

If I was Town and were about to be taken over I’d definitely be trying to speak to Eddie Howe for the managers post . If funded by consortium he might consider the project 🤷‍♀️

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:20 pm

I just don't see him ever dropping into League One, and besides the job's Cooks lol.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:25 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:18 pm
If I was Town and were about to be taken over I’d definitely be trying to speak to Eddie Howe for the managers post . If funded by consortium he might consider the project 🤷‍♀️
He’s currently favourite to be Celtic manager... only just holding off Lambert who’s closing in fast.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:05 pm

Good news about Lambo going,do we really have to get another bloody Paul in charge.
Last edited by Magicmark on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:31 pm

Magicmark wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:05 pm
Good news about Lambo going,do really have to get any bloody Paul in charge.
We've had more Pauls than a Gregorian Monastery! :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:48 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:47 am
Sky saying Paul Cook in advanced talks and hopes a deal can be sorted in time for him to attend the Accrington game Tuesday evening.
Yep BM Paul Cook will be installed Wednesday ready for Saturdays game at Gillingham :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:50 pm

Ash...... you part of the consortium?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:06 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:50 pm
Ash...... you part of the consortium?
That’s what I’m thinking

At last Thursdays showdown meeting between Lambo and ME

Ash getting Lambo in headlock and saying “ YOU WILL GO YOU USELESS F*****G TW*T”.

Is Ash perhaps ME and he uses this site to get rid of his anger?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:14 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:25 pm
hallamblue wrote:
He’s currently favourite to be Celtic manager... only just holding off Lambert who’s closing in fast.

I can’t see Eddie Howe going to Celtic, I was thinking more like Crystal Palace as Roy Hodgson’s replacement when he retires anytime soon.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:19 pm

If there is a takeover and I’ve no reason to believe there isn’t, I just hope it’s imminent as many takeovers collapse at the final hurdle. This would leave Paul Cook employed by Marcus Evans and nothing else much changing other than the name on the Managers door. To be honest most would have taken that a week or two back, however I find the prospect of Marcus Evans being replaced far more attractive for the future of our football club.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:22 pm

Yep, no way would Celtic be a good move for someone like Eddie Howe who has done a job (and a great job) in the EPL.
Even Stevie G won’t get proper recognition for what he’s done at The Sevco.
His first big test will be in England and with results like 1-1 @ Fir Park a few weeks ago, he may struggle.

So no, Eddie Howe, bad move.
Lambert, GREAT move. Even if it’s just to p*ss off their fans.
What about Lambo and Keane as assistant? :lol:
Magic ! 👍👍

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:24 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:14 pm
tangfastic wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

I can’t see Eddie Howe going to Celtic, I was thinking more like Crystal Palace as Roy Hodgson’s replacement when he retires anytime soon.
Palace could be a lot of trouble soon they have 12 players out of contract at the end of the season.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:25 pm

tangfastic wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
My mate Glen is a Celtic/Nog supporter😅he's going to be stoked if he takes over,he's always said Lambo was a secret weapon sent to Ipswich to destroy the club.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:26 pm

Would love to see Eddie Howe coming to Ipswich but we will end up with another Paul.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:36 pm

I see Mick McCarthy is quoted at 26/1 to return to Ipswich 👎☹️😮😧🤔👎

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:07 pm

Not a hope in hell would that happen lol :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:41 am

The chances of McCarthy returning here are so remote its hard to put in practice how absurd or minimal it ever seeing the light of day. Slotted himself in nicely with Cardiff, kind of pleased for him in a way but that's about any and all adulation I'll allow it.

Tired of the Paul Cook issue at present time, seems to be dragging on longer than it should. Wouldn't be surprised if someone else comes in and snaps him up, say again if the name is so revered why hasn't he found employment since leaving his last job. Howe was mentioned with previous appointments here, Got to believe that name has lost its flavor now, time has moved on. Looks to be headed for the SPL anyhow, if he gets in ahead of some other candidates I've read up on, it won't be such a bad thing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:28 am

Dragging on ? Lambert's only been gone a day !!