LAMBERT GONE !

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

LAMBERT GONE !

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:39 pm

I've heard it on good authority that Paul Lambert was sacked yesterday, not saying I necessarily believe it but will be interesting to see if it proves to be correct, where I've heard it has had info before which has proven to be correct so we'll see.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Lambert gone?

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:43 pm

Hearing it should be announced tomorrow. If we can keep it on here please, just in case its crap but sounding genuine.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:45 pm

I hope your right, could it be that Cook has said I want the job now or I'm off to Sheff We'd, just a thought.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:07 pm

This would be odd wouldn't it? Scenarios??

8pts from 4 games, so isn't performance based, maybe Evans didn't like all the crap Lambert has been spouting?

Evans to sack and clear managing position in preparation for takeover? Caretaker until then?

What does this mean?!! :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:12 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:45 pm
I hope your right, could it be that Cook has said I want the job now or I'm off to Sheff We'd, just a thought.
I think this might be closer to the mark ...plus Lambert probably did say far too much in his last post match interview. More than he should have done considering the Club statement just 24hrs earlier ,.....

Interesting week ahead guys

Edit Cook now 1/3 betting is that good or bad ? 🤷‍♀️
Last edited by hallamblue on Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:28 pm

Lambert was sacked today along with assistant Taylor Probable Pay off £2 million making way for the buy out of the Brett Johnson consortium.

Probably P Cook will be installed within next 2 weeks, Temporary charge could be Burcher and Dyer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:28 pm

Official he has gone by mutual consent on sky now.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:29 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:43 pm
Hearing it should be announced tomorrow. If we can keep it on here please, just in case its crap but sounding genuine.
H'ES GONE TODAY BM SUNDAY

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:48 pm

Better still Ash, at least its true

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:50 pm

Maybe the fact that Gill seemed to be taking charge on Saturday during the match Lambert already knew it was his last game.🍾🍾🎉🎉

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:53 pm

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... leave-town

Looks like it had happened after heated meetings between Evans and Lambert regarding the infrastructure at the club.

My big worry now is, is this just another sacking or is it in preparation for take over ?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:57 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ves-closer

Saying it could go through this week

Can this happen don't they have to be seen to be fit and proper which I assume takes time.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:02 pm

The end of another false dawn under a manager who promised so much & achieved so little. Was it all Lambert's incompetence, or did Evans reluctance or inability to invest further play a part? We'll probably never know.

Anyway, it's in the past now & we move on. I fervently hope that this takeover goes through and that the club can go forward with renewed hope under a good manager.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:11 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:57 pm
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ves-closer

Saying it could go through this week

Can this happen don't they have to be seen to be fit and proper which I assume takes time.
I suspect this has been going on behind the scenes for months, and would fit with Ashfords info re the Companies house filing for a new business in June 2020 which has the American as one of four shareholders.

hallamblue

Lambert GONE ......by mutual consent

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:25 pm

Just wanted to see it in a headline lol , sorry

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Lambert GONE ......by mutual consent

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:36 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:25 pm
Sorry Liz, had to merge this else we’d have different conversations going on over two threads. 🙏

AzzurroMark

Re: LAMBERT GONE !

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:46 pm

New Season ticket application forms being sent out this week? :wink: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:50 pm

Only official when things are edited @ Wiki.

That’s been done...... so, yep. He’s gone.

Thanks for the efforts, Lambo.

Captain Cook to “discover” a new bright future?
Certainly will be putting zero pennies on it but the prospect is quite exciting.
Interesting times ahead. 👍

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:40 am

Timing doesn't make sense, team has a decent run of last few games, one of the better spells of the season thus far, Lambert's demeanor was believe improved, even looked half-competent, lo and behold he quits although guess it were something inevitable. Just didn't imagine he would walk away at this very point in time. And what of the five year contract extension provided to him say a year or year an a half ago, Lambert's tough to figure out at the best of times, got to be relief there's been some resolution.

I got nothing against him personally but hell he's been a near disaster here. Largely at fault for the club falling into the Third League of English 'football' and his record of wins to games ratio with us is simply sub-standard. Or now what is the past tense, was.

Wonder who will take him on now. Might have some renewed interest after the last month here regards other employers but keep away from East Glasgow, hope they have the sense to avoid that mistake. Cook may be favorite to replace the name but in truth I don't know enough about him. People seem encouraged and say good things, worry is that were (initially) true of a number of other appointments made during the Evans ownership. As for the latter, sure as hell hope he follows the manager out the exit. A lot going on here at present time but a big step was made today in the right direction without question.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:14 am

Yep I find the timing strange too. But that's probably because I have no idea what has been bubbling under the scenes for some time now. Let's hope that the players settle down quickly with Matt Gill, continue things the way they have set up and trained over the last month or so and continue the run. It's crucial to achieve the playoffs this season, regardless of who the owners are.

People are saying that ME has lined up Paul Cook but I find it hard to believe. If I were PC or any other valid potential manager I would want to talk to the new owners not ME. It seems to me more likely that we will have Matt Gill as caretaker until the ownership situation is resolved enough for the new owners to interview permanent candidates. Of course this could just be a matter of only a week or two.

And by the way, what if Gill gets us promoted? Is he a suitable candidate for Manager?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:47 am

Sky saying Paul Cook in advanced talks and hopes a deal can be sorted in time for him to attend the Accrington game Tuesday evening.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:53 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:47 am
Sky saying Paul Cook in advanced talks and hopes a deal can be sorted in time for him to attend the Accrington game Tuesday evening.
Looking around and seeing managers out of work, it does seem Paul Cook is top of the tree or damn close to it as possible best managers.

Paul Lambert certainly must of told Marcus certain amount of home truths, or how he sees them anyway

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:35 am

Bluemike wrote:
I wonder who Paul Cook is in advanced talks with?

If you were the new owners would you want the old owner to appoint a new manager? Maybe the takeover is not as close as some seem to think. Maybe PC will join on a short term deal subject to approval by the new owners.

What a mess.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:46 am

Lambert already said that Cook was in the building when he (Lambert) arrived for the Doncaster game, Dubai.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:50 am

Yes I read that also, although I assumed he was joking or speaking figuratively.

I guess we will find out some of the answers very soon.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:52 am

He was joking that Cook was in his office obviously......... but not joking that he was in the building. Meaning “talks” I’d think.
Wouldn’t imagine Cook would just attend an Ipswich Doncaster game.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:06 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:35 am
Bluemike wrote:

If you were the new owners would you want the old owner to appoint a new manager? Maybe the takeover is not as close as some seem to think. Maybe PC will join on a short term deal subject to approval by the new owners.

What a mess.
I don’t understand the ‘mess’ comment? We weren’t exactly going in any positive direction for years. It’s been a ‘death by a thousand cuts’ downward trend for years. Change is needed - it’s been a controlled, directionless mess for years.

It could be that both ME and the other party have been in advanced talks for a long while and could have been both talking to Cook and other managers. I think Lambert knew he was gone a few weeks ago - hence the sudden national media interviews and comments about ME. He was looking for a soft exit and it’s better for him now to leave after back to back wins (by mutual consent) than if we slipped to 12th place and he was sacked. He was sacked, but for the outside world, this is a manager who’s leaving because of disagreements with the owner and a takeover, rather than because he was unable to get a very well funded L1 team to win enough matches.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:24 am

I agree with all that Tang and I too don't get the "what a mess thing" at all

hallamblue

Re: Lambert GONE ......by mutual consent

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:26 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:36 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:25 pm
Sorry Liz, had to merge this else we’d have different conversations going on over two threads. 🙏
No problem with that Andy ....just a happy bunny right now, just siting for take over confirmation now. Fingers firmly crossed because that’s what’s needed most I think.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:33 am

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:06 am
Dubai Blue wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:35 am
Bluemike wrote:

What a mess.
I don’t understand the ‘mess’ comment? We weren’t exactly going in any positive direction for years. It’s been a ‘death by a thousand cuts’ downward trend for years. Change is needed - it’s been a controlled, directionless mess for years.

It could be that both ME and the other party have been in advanced talks for a long while and could have been both talking to Cook and other managers. I think Lambert knew he was gone a few weeks ago - hence the sudden national media interviews and comments about ME. He was looking for a soft exit and it’s better for him now to leave after back to back wins (by mutual consent) than if we slipped to 12th place and he was sacked. He was sacked, but for the outside world, this is a manager who’s leaving because of disagreements with the owner and a takeover, rather than because he was unable to get a very well funded L1 team to win enough matches.
I’d agree with all of that . I know many on here don’t like twtd , but I pm’d Phil Ham after the news broke last night re Lambert and the take over and of my fears re this just being another Evans sacking and that a take over might not actually happen. He’s replied that his sources in the Club ( which he still has despite Lamberts ban ), indicates the take over is very close and has being going on for some time.

If this is correct then Lamberts removal is all part of these negotiations and frankly everyone wins. Lambert by £2m, Consortium by acquiring ITFC, and Evans maintaining a 5%stake in the club to get his money back when the Club is rebuilt and sold on, and Cook for getting a new project fully backed financially.

We shall see won’t we 🤞