Accrington Stanley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Will the momentum keep going?

Accrington Win
28%
Ipswich Win
50%
Draw
22%

Total votes: 18

Frosty
Forum Owner

Accrington Stanley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:28 am

Image Accrington Stanley v Ipswich TownImage

Tuesday 2nd March 2021 – 19:00

Crown Ground

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

Game On !!.......................

In the wake of Saturday's win over Doncaster Rovers I think it is fair to say that we really are back in the race, I don't think many of us expected to take Six points this week from games against Hull City & Donny but that is exactly what we have done and against all the odds it has put us right back in the mix which is quite something when we think back to the drab goalless draw at home to Northampton Town when it has to be said we looked clueless but Ten days is a long time in Football and with the topsy turvy nature of this division and all the surprise results we have given ourselves a chance again.

Suddenly we seem to have stumbled upon a system that suits us better, not to mention a starting Eleven that has now started Three games in a row and that is reaping rewards, most of us have always felt the chopping and changing of players is counter productive as is the insistence on the manager to go with One up front but it is clear to see that with two strikers on the pitch we look far more likely to score and are creating chances again. As has already been said James Norwood being available to us again is massive and he looks pretty sharp right now, while Dozzell & Bishop weren't quite as effective Saturday as they were at Hull they still look to be building up a good partnership in the centre of the pitch, Flynn Downes was available again but fair play to Paul Lambert he resisted the temptation to bring him back in.

I think the obvious change is style has also had a positive effect on our performances, gone is the playing it out from the back mentality which in truth never really worked, apart from the first Two or Three games of the season maybe, while none of us are overjoyed at direct hoofing style Football I do think kicking it long from the keeper etc is far more effective for us as an attacking unit and having Norwood up there helps it to stick and keeps us on the front foot. It just seems strange that all this change and improvement seems to have come right at the end of Lambert's tenure at the club, if the latest rumours are to be believed he won't even be in charge Tuesday evening against Accrington Stanley, time will tell on that one however but I am confident this is the case.

The win has seen us move up to Eighth in the table with 47 points, a mere Two points off the coveted play off places and most importantly we now have some momentum while the likes of Hull, Doncaster, Portsmouth and Accrington begin to stutter, while the top Two are definitely a step to far for us the play off's are very much a realistic target again, providing of course we continue the form of the last Two or Three games.

March looks to be a key month and by the end of it we will almost certainly know if we are in the play off picture or consigned to another season in this dreadful league, Seven games means Twenty One points are up for grabs although Five of those games are on the road,a good haul of points are there for the taking with Gillingham, Fleetwood, Plymouth & Wigan all definitely beatable, that leaves games against Three teams currently above us in Accrington, Lincoln & Portsmouth but as stated some of those are in erratic form at present.

First up are the Milk guzzlers from Lancashire who it has to be said are the surprise packages of the season so far, many expected a relegation battle but Stanley currently sit in Seventh place despite a poor run lately that has seen them win only One of their last Five games, it could be they are now finding it tough to maintain their push and this could well be a good time to meet them. A win here would get this important month off to the best possible start and in doing so would keep our good run going, ti is definitely within our capabilities of winning this, I just hope the off the field talk and rumours etc don't have a detrimental on the team which in fairness it hasn't done so far. With games coming thick and fast I am expecting a change or Two in this One which will be a shame but if we keep the upheaval to a minimum it will hopefully not have to much of a negative effect. I'm gonna be brave and go for another Town win against One of the top sides who we seem to beat with ease these days !!! COYB'S

The Opposition – Accrington Stanley

The original town club, Accrington, was amongst the twelve founder members of the Football League in 1888, before resigning from the league after just five years. A team called Stanley Villa already existed at the time, named as such because they were based at the Stanley W.M.C. on Stanley Street in Accrington. With the demise of Accrington, Stanley Villa took the town name to become Accrington Stanley.

Accrington had been without a football team following the collapse of the original Accrington Stanley in 1966. The original team had been formed in 1891 and played in the Football League from 1921 to March 1962, but had spent its final four seasons in the Lancashire Combination. At a meeting at Bold Street Working Men's Club in 1968 the revival was initiated, and in August 1970 the new club played at a new ground, the Crown Ground. Eric Whalley, a local businessman, took control of the club in 1995 and began the development of the club's ground. After the club was relegated in 1999, Whalley appointed John Coleman as manager.

The club's rise to the Football League is attributed in part to the windfall of hundreds of thousands of pounds reaped by the sell-on clause in the December 2001 transfer of former Stanley star Brett Ormerod to Southampton, which paid Blackpool over a million pounds for his contract. Stanley had taken £50,000 from Blackpool in 1997, with the agreement that Blackpool would pay Accrington a quarter of what it might have received if it in turn transferred Ormerod to another team. The 2002–03 championship of the Northern Premier League followed quickly on Accrington's getting the cash.

Following the 2002–03 win of the Northern Premier League, the club was promoted for the first time in its history to the Football Conference. The club's first-ever game in the league was away to another re-formed club, Aldershot Town, on Sunday 10 August 2003. The game was shown live on Sky Sports and resulted in a 1–2 loss. The season was a success, with a final league position of 10th being achieved. The highlight of that first season in the 5th tier was a sensational run to the FA Cup 3rd round, only losing in a replay away to League One side Colchester United.

The following season saw the club become a full time professional outfit. The 2004–05 also resulted in a 10th-place finish.

The 2005–06 season saw the return of Stanley to the Football League. Finishing on 91 points, the club went on a 19-game unbeaten run stretching from October to March, leaving the club an easy passage to League Two after 46 years away.

The club was involved in a relegation battle throughout its first season in the 4th tier. A run of 5 wins in the last 9 games of the season led to a 20th-place finish and was enough to save the club from relegation in its first season back in the Football League.

The 2007–08 season produced more of the same, with the club involved in another relegation battle.5 wins in the final 12 games were enough to secure a 17th-place finish and another season in the 4th tier of English Football.

Performance during the 2008–09 season improved, with the club achieving a modest 16th-place finish in League Two.

The 2009–10 season was far better, with the club pushing for a playoff place at the turn of the year. A run of 9 wins in 10 League games saw the club with a chance of making the playoffs, only for this to fade in March/April.

The club reached the Football League Two play-offs during the 2010–11 season, one of the most successful in its history. A run of 1 loss in 19 games, from February till May, saw the club finish in a best-ever 5th position, eventually losing to League Two newcomers Stevenage in the Playoff Semi-finals.

2011–12 was a season of transition for the club. The loss of no less than six of the playoff-chasing side of the previous season was a tough act to follow. Following a shaky start to the season the arrival of Bryan Hughes in October transformed the club's fortunes. A run of 6 wins in 7 games over the Christmas period saw the club briefly enter the play-offs. However, following the sale of club captain Andrew Procter to Preston North End in the January 2012 transfer window, the third-longest serving management team of John Coleman and Jimmy Bell departed for Rochdale.

Former Burnley and club favourite Paul Cook was brought in as manager, along with the promotion of Leam Richardson from caretaker manager to full-time assistant. Only 3 wins in the final 17 games of the season was a pretty poor finish the season. However, this meant the club achieved a solid mid-table finish in 14th position.

On 18 September 2014, Coleman was confirmed as manager of Accrington Stanley for his second spell with the club.

On 17 April 2018, they were promoted to League One following a 2-0 win over Yeovil Town.

Last season Stanley finished in 17th place.

The Manager – John Coleman

Form Guide

Accrington Stanley Last 5 Matches – Currently in 7th place with 47points

14 Feb Lincoln City 2 - 2 Accrington

17 Feb Doncaster 0 - 1 Accrington

20 Feb Accrington 1 - 1 Shrewsbury

23 Feb Crewe Alexandra 2 - 0 Accrington

27 Feb Fleetwood 1 - 1 Accrington

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 8th place with 47 points

13 Feb Shrewsbury pp. Ipswich Town

16 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Northampton

20 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Oxford Utd

23 Feb Hull City 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

27 Feb Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Doncaster

Match Referee – Robert Madley

ACCRINGTON STANLEY 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

arana peligrosa

Re: Accrington Stanley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:50 am

Hard to say what will occur. Lamberts 'demise' today or however you view it will impact the players for sure, it's just a question will they redouble their efforts from before and play with a liberated theme or freeze on the occasion. Often when a manager leaves particularly one that has been constant as ineffective, they win their next game and pick up a few points from thereon. The manager leaving could cause a problem maybe, we got an opportunity to get out this league with games remaining, (now we've) upset the balance a little at a critical time of the season, you just hope the players can see the benefits of now and rise to a challenge.

Accrington 2 Ipswich Town 3

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:21 am

3-1 Town. Parrott, Norwood and Edwards to score. Lambert gone, sounds like new US owners. Not asset strippers-we have none to strip!!
Optimism returns. COYB

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:01 am

saint jude wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:50 am
Lamberts 'demise' today or however you view it will impact the players for sure, it's just a question will they redouble their efforts from before and play with a liberated theme or freeze on the occasion.
Yep, spot on, Saint and exactly what many will be thinking. The game will be a gauge on how the players viewed Lambo. Is it a defeat, a cagey draw or a nice win? Arguably the hardest game to predict so far this season. Going to go for the 2-0 ITFC win...... and will be watching as well. Be good to compare both this and Hull performances.
A “BallsBrace” ??? Might chuck a wee fiver on that!

Nice preview and like the “March” part. Massive month ahead. Things could look entirely different in 31 days time. It is extremely bloody exciting.
Again, must put the hands together in this gesture 🙏 that whoever takes over has success. And whoever it is, must wish them all the very best.

Ref:
Judge: “REF, HOW MUCH MORE INJURY TIME? WE’RE STRUGGLING TO HOLD ONTO THIS 1-0 LEAD.”
Ref: “FK KNOWS YA WEE pr*ck. WASN’T KEEPING TIME.”

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:14 am

Can’t see us getting anything out of this one. Defence apart I want over impressed on Saturday; great result but I think we were fortunate to win. Accrington have recently drawn with Lincoln and beaten Doncaster so I’m not convinced they are on a bad run.

2-0 defeat.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:57 am

One win on their last Five ain't great when chasing play offs

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:06 pm

Accrington Stanley caption:

Who knew Boris Johnson’s love-child was a Stanley supporter?

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:57 am
One win on their last Five ain't great when chasing play offs
Very true. Only one defeat though too.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:19 pm

Over a season thats relegation lol but I take your point.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:59 pm

I'm sure the starting 11 will remain intact under the caretakers, Gill and Klug. Gill and Klug almost sounds like a comedic duo, but hopefully the joke will be on Accrington Stanley. With that said, I'm not sure the players will have enough in the tank to get the win. Defensively we've improved considerably, so I'll go with a draw 1-1.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:40 pm

I’ve gone for a draw against an in form AS ( in so much as they e picked up very decent points against top 6 sides recently ) , mainly because I’m struggling to see who will score the goals when Norwood is missing, he brings so much to the team and I think we’re going to miss him badly.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:34 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:40 pm
I’ve gone for a draw against an in form AS ( in so much as they e picked up very decent points against top 6 sides recently ) , mainly because I’m struggling to see who will score the goals when Norwood is missing, he brings so much to the team and I think we’re going to miss him badly.
Yes, what’s this aw aboot, Hallamski? Is Norwood out? Need to know before doing the prediction league thing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:41 pm

I haven't see Norwood as injured, have I missed something here ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:42 pm

OH YES !!! The prat has a court appearance for drink driving.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:55 pm

🤦‍♂️

Be presentable, James. No flakey pastry down the suit jacket.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:08 pm

Some are saying he can play? Anyone got a bloody clue ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:12 pm

Wouldn't mind my Prediction League scorer changed to Norwood if he is playing. That was not easy what he did from Kenlocks pinpoint cross last week, so.... thumbs up for Norwood first goal if he plays.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:13 pm

It's March 16th - he misses the Fleetwood game

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:13 pm

I'm thinking the same, let's see what happens tomorrow Marko, we have till 5pm tomorrow

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:14 pm

Ok I'll change it for you Marko

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:42 pm

With the developments over the last week, with Lambert gone, and with a few decent recent performances I think we have really turned a corner. I expect us to win this one and have high hopes that we will be in the playoffs at the end of the season.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:14 pm
Ok I'll change it for you Marko
Cheers Mike. 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:50 pm

Incredibly stupid question coming up...... genuinely asking though...... Cook have any input tonight or still paying the tenner for the Gill & Klug Show?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:12 pm

I suspect the latter but who knows 🤷

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:39 pm

Wouldn't expect Cook to have any involvement on the next game event. Any capacity in providing team assistance so soon after arrival is surely not to occur. Be in the hands of Gill to oversee team matters tonight and possibly Gillingham also. Just relief and exciting in a sense to look ahead to what will occur now Lambert has vacated his position. Takeover issue and play-off opportunity ongoing at same time, just hope it doesn't conflict each other and best outcome resides.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:09 pm

Norwood is in the team 👍👍🤞 not sure how he’s dodged his court appearance, but glad he has lol

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:12 pm

Court appearance is the Fleetwood game, Town unchanged again tonight.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:50 pm

I live in the sticks along from Queensferry, bad Wifi and the Mrs on an important work zoom thingy. No Stanley game for me. Not forking out a tenner for buffering.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:06 pm

Cook-Out.

Isn't that an american barbeque?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:08 pm

p*ss poor from Holy and Chambers