Portsmouth' fan review of Paul Cook

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Portsmouth' fan review of Paul Cook

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:49 am

Portsmouth fan review of Paul Cook 01:16 - Mar 1 with 1100 views pointofblue

His favourite formation is 4-2-3-1 (joy) and he gets snippy with the media.

“There can be no disputing that Paul Cook is a good manager. After all, he won Portsmouth the League Two title by sticking to his principles and winning games in the right manner. However, it should be remembered that he delivered this league title when Pompey were favourites to win the division on goal difference from Plymouth and including an inexplicable collapse by Doncaster who lost all four of their final matches when they required just one.

Cook will have your team playing attractive, possession football and his preferred 4-2-3-1 formation means that the back four are well protected whilst the attacking midfield trio are free to attack and create chances for the lone striker. He is also an excellent motivator as rarely did Pompey lose more than a single consecutive game under his management and any bad performance was usually followed by a good one.

His record in the transfer market was mixed. He has the eye for a quality player as proved in his first season with the Blues as he virtually rebuilt a poor squad and moulded it into a good one with signings like Christian Burgess, Enda Stevens and Gareth Evans proving to be shrewd. However, his second season saw him sign many players who either couldn’t get into the team or had their stays abruptly ended by either having their contracts terminated or being shipped out on loan. Milan Lalkovic must be secretly delighted that Cook has gone.

The negatives of Cook’s management is that whilst Plan A can work extremely well, he doesn’t have a Plan B. His stubborn attitude meant he would rarely stray from his 4-2-3-1 formation and when he did, the results and performances were worse! He also struggles to work out how to break down teams that will “park the bus” and play for a draw on home turf. Thus, you should prepare yourselves for grating post-match interview soundbytes such as “All credit to Shrewsbury, they’re an excellent team and had a gameplan which stopped us scoring. We go again next week.”

Whilst he may be good enough to get a squad of Wigan’s quality back up to the Championship, there is a feeling amongst people that he isn’t tactically smart enough or indeed professional enough to succeed at a higher level.

Cook also seems to struggle under pressure as he felt the heat with 16,000 expectant Pompey fans constantly scrutinising him as he occasionally lashed out at the media whilst having indirect digs at them. The crowds at the DW Stadium may be half the size of what he was used to at Fratton Park, but the expectation will be exactly he same and he may well feel the heat if the Latics fans aren’t happy with performances next season.

In a nutshell, it should speak volumes that the reaction of Pompey fans is anger at the manner he left rather than any kind of sorrow that the event even took place. He’s a good manager but there are arguably even better bosses that Portsmouth can attract to replace him with Kenny Jackett rumoured to take his place.”

https://threeamigoswigan.com/2017/06/01 ... paul-cook/

Very interesting thoughts anywone?

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Portsmouth' fan review of Paul Cook

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:57 am

Lone striker is pleasing. That is currently working f**king beautifully at Portman Road so 👏👏👏👏👏. Excellent. 🤦‍♂️
Should just stop reading about him and see what happens.
🙏 praying he’s not another Hurst.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:21 am

Fans will always find fault with a departed manager, no exception

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:22 am

Except Sir Bob of course :wink:

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:27 am

4-2-3-1? No thank you. Isn't there anybody else that could manage us? Worried that this appointment is too similar to PH.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:55 am

I'm happy if we get Paul Cook but he has only played and managed small clubs but should be ok for now and hopefully get Town promoted and I think it's unlikely we could get someone like Eddie Howe.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:58 am

We'd have more chance og getting Eddie Large

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:25 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:58 am
We'd have more chance og getting Eddie Large

Yes I agree Mike and he passed away not long ago, I see Moore has left Doncaster to go to Sheff Wednesday maybe the Cowley's will go to Doncaster, and Sky saying Cook will be in the stands tomorrow night.👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:31 am

I think cook has been a done deal for weeks tbh.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:40 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:31 am
I think cook has been a done deal for weeks tbh.
And with the approval of the new owners I assume.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:09 pm

Decided to read a bit more about the 4-2-3-1 system, mainly for fear that it would leave us in the same "lone striker' position we currently have.
It appears that it is the favoured formation in many International teams and all the recent Champions League finalists (Barcelona and ManU apart) have employed it. Yes, this is League 1 we are talking of, and seeing that "1" up front for us is worrying. For me however, by having the 2 in front of defence, surely this allows the line of 3 to take a higher position (than that of a 4-3-3), offering greater support to that lone striker.
Personally, I feel my fear of the 4-2-3-1 may well be unfounded, and if PC is indeed the new man, then I look forward to see what he can do with it and the players at his disposal, between now and the end of the season!

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:16 pm

I’ve said for a long time formations don’t matter, it’s hire you play it. One up front doesn’t work without a rather man or without others getting close in support. But it can work well if you do.

I’ll say it again, the way to get promotion is to attack. The way to stay up is to tighten the defence.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:18 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:09 pm
Decided to read a bit more about the 4-2-3-1 system, mainly for fear that it would leave us in the same "lone striker' position we currently have.
It appears that it is the favoured formation in many International teams and all the recent Champions League finalists (Barcelona and ManU apart) have employed it. Yes, this is League 1 we are talking of, and seeing that "1" up front for us is worrying. For me however, by having the 2 in front of defence, surely this allows the line of 3 to take a higher position (than that of a 4-3-3), offering greater support to that lone striker.
Personally, I feel my fear of the 4-2-3-1 may well be unfounded, and if PC is indeed the new man, then I look forward to see what he can do with it and the players at his disposal, between now and the end of the season!
Probably mostly to do with the players at the manager’s disposal and if they’re able to fit into the system. Norwood can do it - Jackson can’t. And I’ll never understand why we kept Jackson this season as he can only really play as one of two upfront if Lambert wanted to play the one up front.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:13 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:18 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:09 pm
Probably mostly to do with the players at the manager’s disposal and if they’re able to fit into the system. Norwood can do it - Jackson can’t. And I’ll never understand why we kept Jackson this season as he can only really play as one of two upfront if Lambert wanted to play the one up front.

Agree completely Tang

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:17 pm

The thing is Cook maybe played a certain formation because it suited the squad of players he had at his disposal, he may play something completely different here, assuming he comes here that is.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:23 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:17 pm
The thing is Cook maybe played a certain formation because it suited the squad of players he had at his disposal, he may play something completely different here, assuming he comes here that is.
That may well be true, I certainly hope so.

It is true that many of the top teams play this formation, but I think to make it work you have to have top players. For me, every manager who has tried to play it at Ipswich over the past few years has failed with it, I just do not think it works at this level.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:35 pm

I agree and tbh I hope we revert to either 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 the latter for me would suit our current squad perfectly

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:35 pm
I agree and tbh I hope we revert to either 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 the latter for me would suit our current squad perfectly
3-5-2 works for me every time