We have another Paul

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

We have another Paul

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:07 pm

Paul Cook confirmed as Ipswich Manager signing a deal until the summer of 2023 👍🎉🎉

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: We have another Paul

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:11 pm

Can only really say a sort of muted “yay!”

Last time a guy took over with largely lower league experience, it ended with Ipswich Towns worst run of defeats in its history.

On his side though, 100%, giving him FULL backing ....... but let’s see results, Cookie.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:12 pm

Good news, pleased with that appointment. Welcome Paul Cook, just get it right on the pitch with tactics, selections, effort and entertainment, we ask no more.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:16 pm

Not a five year deal? Great news.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:18 pm

Cook moved into management with Southport in June 2006 but departed Haig Avenue the following January.

In April 2007 Cook took charge of League of Ireland side Sligo Rovers. Having guided Rovers to fourth and a European place, he left by mutual consent in January 2009 only to return 13 days later.

Despite tight finances, Cook saw Sligo to the 2009 FAI Cup final but they were beaten 2-1 by Sporting Fingal.

However, in 2010 they did carry off some silverware, the League Cup, then they followed that up by an on-penalties victory over Shamrock Rovers in the FAI Cup the same season and retained the trophy the following season via another win on spot-kicks against Shelbourne.

In February 2012 Cook took charge of Accrington but having finished 14th in League Two in 2011/12 he departed in the October when he took charge at Chesterfield.

Cook took the Spireites to the League Two title in 2013/14 and then the following year to sixth and a play-off place in League One.

That success led to his move to Pompey in May 2015 and two years later he guided the Hampshire side to the League Two title.

In May 2017, Cook was named manager of Wigan following their drop into League One and led them to the title in 2017/18 as well as FA Cup shocks against Premier League West Ham, Bournemouth and Manchester City as they reached the quarter-finals.

He resigned in July last year following the Latics’ administration, resultant 12-point deduction and relegation to League One. Without the points deduction they would have finished 13th.

Overall at his six clubs as a manager Cook’s win percentage stands at 43.1.

After leaving Wigan, Cook had been linked with a number of jobs in the Championship, among them the positions at Cardiff City, which he is understood to have turned down, and Sheffield Wednesday.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:21 pm

This is Good news as Paul Cook can get started with organising his squad, will probably be at Accrington for tonight's game, so this is evidence that what reports come out of O'Neill's gob are F*****g crap, next will be the Gamechanger 20 Ltd appointed as the new owners within this month, and again bullshit report from Evans again.

I mean FFS its been banded around for bloody weeks of this takeover, and all Evans can say is I'm not actively seeking to sell Ipswich Town FC :shock: Yeh right :lol: :lol:

So the sooner we don't hear or see any more lifeless reports from this idiot and his side kick the better. :x

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:25 pm

Bluemike wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:12 pm
Good news, pleased with that appointment. Welcome Paul Cook, just get it right on the pitch with tactics, selections, effort and entertainment, we ask no more.
Your a happy bunny now then BM :lol: :lol: and rightly so, as I was getting very concerned for your mental well being :shock:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:28 pm

marko69 wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:11 pm

Last time a guy took over with largely lower league experience, it ended with Ipswich Towns worst run of defeats in its history.

On his side though, 100%, giving him FULL backing ....... but let’s see results, Cookie.
Next news i want to hear is a Jags takeover, any news on this front Marco??? any rumblings from the boiler department, apart from your wind :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:42 pm

ashfordblue wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:25 pm
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:12 pm
Your a happy bunny now then BM :lol: :lol: and rightly so, as I was getting very concerned for your mental well being :shock:
My mental well being is as fine as it can be mate, its only ITFC that ever impacts on it lol.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:17 pm

Gary Roberts confirmed as his coach.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:24 pm

Do you think we might play 2 upfont
4-4-2 .
I wonder if Roberts will come back in a Taxi.?
TAXI FOR ROBERTS.. :lol:
K L Blue wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:00 pm
i hope the door doesn't hit his @rse on the way out!

TAXI FOR ROBERTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by BLUEBLOOD on Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:27 pm

Welcome Paul....You clearly like a challenge !!

GOOD LUCK in your new role at this Club.

COYBss

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:34 pm

Right appointment at the right time.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:49 pm

I hope it is the right appointment - time will tell.

I am praying it will not be the case that a Cook is only one letter away from being a c*ck

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:55 pm

ashfordblue wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:28 pm
marko69 wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:11 pm

Next news i want to hear is a Jags takeover, any news on this front Marco??? any rumblings from the boiler department, apart from your wind :lol: :lol:
MY wind??? :lol: :lol: :lol: The trees sway in Scotland after an Ash rant! Long may they continue..... I do like Ash rants.

Regarding the Theeee-sell....... no idea. Not seen Uncle Don (the family jag) for over a year due to the Rona and lack of Rona jag so finger off the pulse in that area.
But L1 & 2 are off at the moment so 🤷‍♂️
Mike will be better placed with Forfar being in that league.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:57 pm

Tinytown wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:34 pm
Right appointment at the right time.
Right appointment but wrong time it should have been done long ago IMO.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:59 pm

I can't pinpoint why, but I am not overly enthusiastic about Cook's appointment & side with Marko with a muted 'Yay'.

He does however have my full support in hopefully pulling ITFC up once again to the Championship & perhaps even higher.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:11 pm

Time will tell ... but I do think he’s a good appointment. Very Good record in the lower leagues and a decent one in the Championship. In fact, wigan were one of the top form sides the second half of last season and would have finished 13th if it wasn’t for the points deduction. I can’t see any real failures on his CV - and there’s 3 promotions at three different clubs.

I am surprised he wasn’t picked up by a championship side. I don’t see anyone really better we could realistically get. And I’d even prefer him to Eddie Howe who was heavily bankrolled by a Russian owner and has only success with Bournemouth. I don’t think we’re going to be flush with money even if we get new owners so we need someone who can work on a budget.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:18 pm

tangfastic wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:11 pm
Time will tell ... but I do think he’s a good appointment. Very Good record in the lower leagues and a decent one in the Championship. In fact, wigan were one of the top form sides the second half of last season and would have finished 13th if it wasn’t for the points deduction. I can’t see any real failures on his CV - and there’s 3 promotions at three different clubs.

I am surprised he wasn’t picked up by a championship side. I don’t see anyone really better we could realistically get. And I’d even prefer him to Eddie Howe who was heavily bankrolled by a Russian owner and has only success with Bournemouth. I don’t think we’re going to be flush with money even if we get new owners so we need someone who can work on a budget.
Yep. Good informative post. I’m sure all will be at his back from the “off”...... and “on” his back if mammary glands go north.
Good luck, Captain.

The biggest conundrum is why a Russian chose Bournemouth? 🤷‍♂️
Drove along the sea front there in 96, .... kept driving.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:33 pm

I'm with Tang, I will nail my colours to the mast (I know I know Hurst was f**king dire) and say Cook is a very good appointment, a good CV at lower league level with promotions X3, I think he has been approached by Championship clubs, notably Cardiff and Sheffield Wednesday but he turned them both down, it could just be he sees potential here with the impending changes?
No sitting on the fence from me, I'm pleased about this and happy to say so.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:51 pm

Was hopeing for Paul Daniels, good luck Paul Cook your going to need it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:56 pm

Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:33 pm
I'm with Tang, I will nail my colours to the master (I know I know Hurst was f**king dire) and say Cook is a very good appointment, a good CV at lower league level with promotions X3, I think he has been approached by Championship clubs, notably Cardiff and Sheffield Wednesday but he turned them both down, it could just be he sees potential here with the impending changes?
No sitting on the fence from me, I'm pleased about this and happy to say so.
One day it might be more than just yer colours nailed to that mast ! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:01 pm

Magicmark wrote: ↑
Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:51 pm
Was hopeing for Paul Daniels, good luck Paul Cook your going to need it.
Need to settle for Dobra McGee, Magic.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:12 pm

One thing we do need is a magician :D

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:24 pm

maybe Cook comes highly recommended but how many f**king Paul's does this club need. Jewell, Hurst, Lambert ... believe one of the caretaker names was Paul also at one time or another just for good measure. Name like Paul Cook sounds like a caterer, should be at Norwich helping Delia with one of her recipes. Just the name, bland and unimaginative, shame we didn't go for Heston Blumenthal or Anthony Worall-Thompson at least it's a name you can get excited about.

in on the skeptical group here, don't want to p*ss on Cook's parade even before it's begun but just feel a little underwhelmed about the appointment. Anything seems an improvement on Lambert right now, guess we'll allow the new coach time to fit in and find a winning formula. Success if it comes will not arrive overnight. I think the two year deal is about right, anything less wouldn't seem worth coming on board, anything further it's going to cause problems if things don't go ahead as some would envisage. Not the name I or some others would hope for, but as fans of the club you don't get to pick and choose. One last time Marcus Evans is the overriding problem at this club, you can bring in the best or worst of candidates however it's the owner that is and remains the root cause of holding the team name back for as long as it has. Takeover still to happen, it's a turbulent time at the club right now, maybe we won't get the answers that all will require but team is looking to find itself back on track if nothing else.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:14 pm

Given how far we have fallen as a club in the last few years I think we are really lucky to have attracted a manager with Cook's CV. I feel very good about his arrival and think much better times are ahead for us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:24 pm

Snap JD, we aren't the Ipswich of 40 years ago with anywhere near the same pull

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:32 pm

Paul jokes aside,I'm pleased he's replaced Lambert, being a scouser the players should at least be able to understand him :lol: :wink:

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:23 pm

Gary Roberts as his No 2. Left Stanley yesterday by mutual consent.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:44 pm

Seems like Lambert really wanted out, and his memorable outburst about the structure of the club was the final nail in the coffin. I think I said, after that outburst Marcus wouldn't be able to continue a tenable relationship with Lambert.

I honestly hadn't even heard of Paul Cook before I posted a list of available managers when Lambert's exit was still speculation. Based on his resume, Cook seems to have the ability to motivate players...a trait not seen here since Mick McCarthy's days. Love Mick or hate him, he certainly had the team playing for him. Now with an emphasis on quality football coupled with a manger who can get the best out of the players could be the long awaited improvement we've needed. I don't believe our fortunes will change over night, but I do hope losses will be turned into draws and draws will be turned into wins...eventually. If Cook can create some consistency in performances, I don't see any reason why those improvements won't happen. I don't want to be negative, but I did read reports that Cook lacks a Plan B during matches. I also hope he'll get that straightened out because that will attract certain criticism in a hurry.

Another chapter begins in the history of Ipswich Town FC.

COYB!