Gillingham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

New Manager - can he keep the wins coming?

Gills Win
7%
Town Win
80%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

Gillingham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:40 pm

Image Gillingham FC vs Ipswich Town Image

Saturday 6th March 2021 – 13:00

Preistfield Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

What A Week It's Been..............

Well I have to say even by Ipswich Town standards it has been quite a week, the departure of One manager, the arrival of another almost immediately, in fact they probably passed each other on the way in & out ! Then we've had talk of takeovers, One minute it's a done deal due to land registry applications and all that jargon, the next minute we have Marcus Evans telling everyone there is no such deal even on the table and not to believe everything we read, coming from him that' s a classic for sure, so all in all it's been very eventful but quite what the truth of it all is will only be revealed in the coming weeks/months.

For me the biggest thing in all that is the arrival of a manager that I was really keen to see at Portman Road, he ticks most if not all of the boxes required for where we are as a club right now and already I have thoroughly enjoyed his first interview, frank and to the point and forthright in his intentions and expectations for the club, no fence sitting and a refreshing honesty about what he wants, and yet he also manages to keep the wise cracks flowing throughout, something we rarely got from Paul Lambert in all the time he was here, yes indeed it was a refreshing change.

Paul Cook is making it quite clear it is Top Two and promotion which is the target, albeit a very unlikely one but that is what I want to hear, failing that he says we will be in the play offs and looking to win them, none of this take each game as it comes and see where we end up nonsense, you have to aim big and be positive, so welcome to ITFC Paul Cook and all the very best to you, give it your best shot and the support you receive in return will be phenomenal, once we can return to grounds again that is.

Mixed in between all the off field stuff is the small matter of another vital Town win and with it Three more crucial points which has seen us close up further to the play off places, sitting in Seventh place and just Two points off the top six is not something we envisaged a couple of weeks back but Three wins on the bounce has made the world of difference and while we have been picking up the points those around us have been slipping up, our form now is very good and it could be just the right time to go on a really good run, we have certainly put to bed the theory that we cannot beat the top sides in the division as we have now doubled Accrington and beaten Hull and Doncaster too, oh how it would be looking now had we not slipped up at home to Swindon & Northampton but that is gone and we need to carry on the good work of the last week or so.

We still have some of the big boys to play but looking at the fixture list we also have a lot of winnable games too, the likes of Wimbledon Twice, Shrewsbury Town, Fleetwood Twice, Plymouth Argyle, Wigan Athletic, Bristol Rovers, Rochdale, MK Dons, Northampton & Swindon are all games we should be going into believing we can and will win, that's Twelve games that don't look beyond us when we are on it, Paul Cook needs to make sure we are on it !!!

First up is One of the games I didn't highlight, a visit to Gillingham for a 1.00pm kick off, again we can go into it with confidence high, not to mention the bounce of a new man at the helm, all the players should most definitely be out to impress what with the slate wiped clean for everyone, all the shirts are up for grabs and that has to be a positive for us, nobody can afford a bad performance or they will be out of the starting line up, I for One cannot wait to see Cook's first starting Eleven but with the team unchanged in recent games and on a winning run I doubt very much he will tinker with it too much at first, those players have pretty much earned the right to start.

Although Gillingham away can be a tricky game I am in a bullish mood about our chances and am going for a Town win to make it Four in a row and quite possibly a place in the Top Six come Saturday evening, how good would that be ! I just hope and pray that should it now go as we all hope and probably expect it to that the morons don't come out in force and start the "I'm not sure about this guy Cook cobblers" Rome wasn't built in a day. Town Win for me. COYB'S

The Opposition – Gillingham

The local success of a junior football side, Chatham Excelsior F.C., encouraged a group of businessmen to meet with a view to creating a football club which could compete in larger competitions. New Brompton F.C. was formed at the meeting, held on 18 May 1893.

The founders also purchased the plot of land which later became Priestfield Stadium. The new club played its first match on 2 September 1893, losing 1–5 to Woolwich Arsenal's reserve side in front of a crowd of 2,000. New Brompton were among the founder members of the Southern League upon its creation in 1894, and were placed in Division Two. They were named Champions in the first season (1894–95) going on to defeat Swindon Town in a test match to win promotion.

In the seasons that followed, the club struggled in Division One, finishing bottom in the 1907–08 season, avoiding relegation only due to expansion of the league. Whilst the club's league performance was disappointing, the side did manage a famous cup victory over Football League First Division Sunderland and held Manchester City to a draw before losing in the replay. In 1912 the directors passed a resolution to change the club's name to Gillingham F.C., and the team played under this name throughout the 1912–13 season, although the change was not officially ratified by the shareholders until the following year. The team finished bottom of Division One in the 1919–20 season but for a third time avoided relegation, due to the subsequent elevation of all Southern League Division One clubs to form the new Football League Division Three.

In the first season of the newly created Football League Division Three, the 1920–21 season, Gillingham again finished bottom, and in the years to follow there was little improvement on this, the club continually finishing in the lower reaches of the bottom division.

In 1938 the team finished bottom of the Third Division (South) and were required to apply for re-election for the fifth time since joining the league. This bid for re-election failed, with Gillingham returning to the Southern League and Ipswich Town being promoted in their place.

Gillingham quickly established themselves as one of the stronger sides in the league, winning a local double of the Kent League and Kent Senior Cup in the 1945–46 season. In the 1946–47 season the team won both the Southern League Cup and the Southern League championship, during which they recorded a club record 12–1 victory over Gloucester City. The Gills also won the league title in 1948–49.
In 1950, plans were announced to expand the Football League Division Three (South) from 22 to 24 teams and, taking into account their local success in the interim, Gillingham were re-elected to the Football League with a landslide vote.

The team spent eight seasons in Division Three (South) before the restructuring of the league system for the 1958–59 season saw them placed in the newly created Fourth Division. They remained in this division until 1964, when manager Freddie Cox led them to promotion, winning the first championship in the club's history. The team finished the season level on 60 points with Carlisle United, but with a fractionally better goal average (1.967 against 1.948), which was the tightest league title finish in Football League history.

After relegation back to the Fourth Division in 1970–71, the Gills were soon promoted back to the Third Division in the 1973–74 season. After this the club seemed to find its level in Division Three, regularly mounting a challenge for promotion which ultimately fell short each time, never more so than in 1986–87 when they reached the play-offs only to lose in the final to Swindon Town. During this period the club produced future stars Steve Bruce and Tony Cascarino, who was famously bought from non-league Crockenhill in exchange for a set of tracksuits.

In 1987, the Gills hit the headlines when, on consecutive Saturdays, they beat Southend United 8–1 and Chesterfield 10–0, the latter a club record for a Football League match. Just a few months later, however, manager Keith Peacock was controversially sacked, and within 18 months the club had fallen into Division Four. The ensuing spell in the lower division brought little success, and in the 1992–93 Division Three campaign the Gills narrowly avoided relegation to the Football Conference.

Beset with financial problems, the club went into administration in January 1995, and by the end of the 1994–95 season faced the threat of being expelled from the Football League and closed down. In June 1995, however, a London-based businessman, Paul Scally, stepped in and bought the club. He brought in new manager Tony Pulis, who led Gillingham to promotion in his first season, finishing second in the old Division Three (now Football League Two).

In 1999 the Gills made the play-offs but lost in the Division Two play-off final to Manchester City. The Gills were 2–0 up with less than two minutes left only to see City score twice, the equaliser in injury time, and go on to win 3–1 in a penalty shoot-out. Soon after the play-off loss, Pulis was sacked for gross misconduct, and Peter Taylor appointed manager. In the 1999–00 season Gillingham qualified for the play-offs again, where they faced Wigan Athletic in the final at Wembley Stadium. The game finished 1–1 after 90 minutes, but, thanks to goals in extra time from substitutes Steve Butler and Andy Thomson, the Gills won 3–2 and were promoted to Division One for the first time.

Taylor then left to manage Leicester City, and Andy Hessenthaler was appointed as player-manager. He led the club to their best ever league finish of eleventh in the 2002–03 season, but the following season saw the club narrowly avoid relegation on goal difference. Hessenthaler resigned as manager in November 2004, and new boss Stan Ternent was unable to prevent the Gills' relegation to League One.

At the end of the 2007–08 season the club was relegated again, this time to League Two, but an immediate return to the third level was secured via the play-offs after beating Shrewsbury Town.

In the 2009–10 season, however, the Gills slipped into the bottom four on the last day, and were relegated back to League Two, having failed to win a single away game in the league all season. This resulted in manager Mark Stimson having his contract terminated, and Andy Hessenthaler was appointed as manager of the club for the second time. At the start of the 2012–13 season Hessenthaler was replaced by Martin Allen, who led the club to promotion as League Two champions in his first season in charge. However, shortly after winning League Two, Martin Allen was sacked in what many saw as a "surprise sacking" after a poor start to the season.

Peter Taylor returned for a second spell in charge, but following his sacking in December 2014 he was replaced by Justin Edinburgh which saw the Gils finish in 12th place.

The 2015–16 was his first full season in charge, Edinburgh led the Gills to a second-place position at Christmas, after a 3–0 victory against Millwall. Gillingham had also managed to defeat League favourites Sheffield United, with a 4–0 victory on the first day of the season. However, after a run of bad injuries to crucial players, Gillingham slipped to a ninth-place finish in League One, after losing on the last day of the season, against Millwall.

Edinburgh was sacked on 3 January 2017, along with his entire coaching team, with the club placed 17th in League One.

On 21 May 2019, Steve Evans was announced as the new manager of Gillingham and began his role on 1 June 2019.

Last season Gillingham finished one place above Town in 10th place.

The Manager – Steve Evans

Form Guide

Gillingham Last 5 Matches – currently in 14th place with 44 points

16 Feb Gillingham 1 - 3 Peterborough

20 Feb Gillingham 2 - 0 Bristol Rovers

23 Feb AFC Wimbledon 1 - 0 Gillingham

27 Feb Portsmouth 1 - 1 Gillingham

2 Mar Gillingham 3 - 2 Milton Keynes

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – currently in 7th place with 50 points

16 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Northampton

20 Feb Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Oxford Utd

23 Feb Hull City 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

27 Feb Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Doncaster

02 Mar Accrington 1-2 Ipswich Town

Match Referee – Graham Salisbury

GILLINGHAM 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

JOHN DEERE

Re: Gillingham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JOHN DEERE » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:40 pm

Has to be a win. Let's keep the run going. Good to see my grandad reffing this one!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:25 pm

Your Grandad ? Seriously?

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:39 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:25 pm
Your Grandad ? Seriously?
No! It was a feeble effort at humour. He looks old enough to be one.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:50 pm

Talking of referees, was that the Robert Madley refereeing our game at Accrington on Tuesday night. Didn’t he used to be one of our top Premier League referees a few years back and I believe on the FIFA list too. Strange if he was taking charge of a League One game although I don’t recall seeing him on the tv for a few years. Maybe he’s been a naughty boy, or have I got the wrong Robert Madley.

Back on thread my fingers are crossed for a flying start for Paul Cook and another Town win.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:04 am

Good preview........ and not to put any pressure on Cookie AT ALL........ but it’s got to be a win. Can’t be a draw. WINNING start.
In fact I’d give advice to the players to forget who’s in charge. He wasn’t in charge from Oxford until now when you’ve all pulled your fingers out and hauled in 10 points from 12 ——>> Promotion form at this stage of the season.
Stick to the task.

Weird situation in that a new manager is employed to turn around results because the most recent boss was on a complete downward spiral results wise. (Hurst springs to mind) ..... usually praying that the fans see a win.
And even though a win is sought after,..... there have been THREE wins in a row.
It’s a different variety of pressure for Paul Cook in this. Hopefully he sticks to what he says in his opening interview.... “no massive changes”. Don’t tinker from the off.
Im sure he will reinforce the confidence the players already have.
Who knows........ Bennetts might be world class in this.
🤔, maybe not. Too far.

Ref caption:
(In a thinking trance)
“Did I tell Agnes at the sheltered housing office that I’d be late tonight?”

Gillingham boss caption:

Reporter: “What do you think about the “Evans out” chants, Steve?
SE: “ :twisted: I’m doing the best I can, FFS!”
Reporter: “Woah, Woah, Woah, Steve, calm down. I meant from the Ipswich fans outside at the gate.”

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:08 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:50 pm
Talking of referees, was that the Robert Madley refereeing our game at Accrington on Tuesday night. Didn’t he used to be one of our top Premier League referees a few years back and I believe on the FIFA list too. Strange if he was taking charge of a League One game although I don’t recall seeing him on the tv for a few years. Maybe he’s been a naughty boy, or have I got the wrong Robert Madley.

Back on thread my fingers are crossed for a flying start for Paul Cook and another Town win.
Yes, one in the same.

Blew his career a few years ago when he made an inappropriate video. Bailed over to Norway while the dust settled and is back this season. Maybe not allowed to officiate higher divisions, I don’t know?

Funnily enough I had to do some checking too as I thought maybe there were two Madleys. I think previously he may have been known more as Bobby Madley.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:36 pm

I'm actually quite optimistic about our chances in this game, and not just because the players will be busting a gut to try and impress the new boss.

PC comes across to me as a 'salt of the earth' type and somebody with good footballing knowledge - hopefully he will recognise that we don't have any class in the squad and will therefore pick the team and tactics to reflect that. I expect him to make a couple of changes - Edwards for Judge and Downes for Bishop. I think he might persevere with Bennets as sooner or later he will stop falling over he ball.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:15 pm

Frosty wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:08 pm
....as I thought maybe there were two Madleys.....
One nicks bottles of wine I think? Maybe not, different spelling maybe.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:16 pm

rossi wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:36 pm
I think he might persevere with Bennets as sooner or later he will stop falling over the ball.
:lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:18 pm

We created numerous chances against Stanley, so surely we'll do the same against Gillingham. At some point we'll start taking those chances and start putting the ball in the back of the net. We seem to be finding a bit of consistency in performances, so hopefully that will translate into more goals. I don't think Cook will tinker with the side leaving the starters the same unless there's injuries. What will be interesting to see is how Cook reacts if we have one of those stinky ponkers and play like...in Saint's words, "Horse sh*t!".

I'm going for Ipswich winning 2-1 and Bennett's getting an assist. :oops:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:26 pm

That's got to be the most senior match official to referee our games this season although mistakes and oversights can still just as much occur. Years back in Rochester would make the short trip over to try and attend every fixture there although it were often a mixed bag. Unable to see beyond a win here for us, the "revival" has been encouraging but as much as Evans likes to say it we don't have the most competitive / strongest team in the division. 3 points here would aid any promotion cause but one last time think it's too late now to plan ahead for what most likely won't occur.

Gillingham 1 Ipswich 3

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:13 pm

saint jude wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:26 pm
That's got to be the most senior match official to referee our games this season although mistakes and oversights can still just as much occur. Years back in Rochester would make the short trip over to try and attend every fixture there although it were often a mixed bag. Unable to see beyond a win here for us, the "revival" has been encouraging but as much as Evans likes to say it we don't have the most competitive / strongest team in the division. 3 points here would aid any promotion cause but one last time think it's too late now to plan ahead for what most likely won't occur.

Gillingham 1 Ipswich 3
48 points up for grabs? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ How is it too late? Jaysus H, Saint, thank the sweet mother o the good Lord you ain’t boss OR in the HT team talks! :lol:

“Listen, great first half, loving the pressing, the urgency..... but obviously all for nought. You’re all fkd for this season and it’ll be League One next season. So, (rubs hands together) ... who’s been vaccinated for summer? Going anywhere nice? Ibiza? Majorca?”

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:24 pm

Not sure how much the manager can change the team after 3 days and 3 wins.

2-1 defeat. They have goals in them. We need to take our chances to get anything out of it.

And a 1 o’clock kick off. What’s that all about?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:15 pm

New manager . New system . Weary legs. Bedding on process right now. Therefore going for hard fought draw against another “ no mugs” league one side .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:25 pm

5-0 Ipswich.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:49 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:15 pm
New manager . New system . Weary legs. Bedding on process right now. Therefore going for hard fought draw against another “ no mugs” league one side .
My legs are weary after seeing that pic of the female golfer! Maybe we should have an adults only section on the forum? :D

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:02 am

Nice to drop in here and read some optimism. PC has a great record in similar situations to which we find ourselves - I wouldn’t bet against his motivational and man-management skills getting this flawed, patchy but promising squad out of league 1 this year, starting with a win at Gillingham. Beyond that someone’s going to need to open their wallet if we are to hold our own in the division above. Let’s hope the new owners are that way inclined

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:31 am

number 9 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:49 pm
hallamblue wrote:
My legs are weary after seeing that pic of the female golfer! Maybe we should have an adults only section on the forum? :D
Lol.... I reckon more of a “boys only section” .... then I won’t get that feeling , oooooh maybe not a thread for me ha ha

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:37 am

Paul Cook on strength of Town squad:

"Whilst we want to keep making hay while the sun is shining, the reality is that if we have to change the team at some point, we have strong players looking to get in"

Looks like he’s going to make some changes today then.

Bennett’s out for Edwards?

Downes in for .....?

Tbh I wouldn’t change too much more .

What do you guys think?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:03 am

I don't think he'll change anything today but will tinker Tuesday. Personally I would have Bennetts out and Edwards in today.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:41 am

Why the 1pm Kick Off?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:54 am

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:02 am
Nice to drop in here and read some optimism. PC has a great record in similar situations to which we find ourselves - I wouldn’t bet against his motivational and man-management skills getting this flawed, patchy but promising squad out of league 1 this year, starting with a win at Gillingham. Beyond that someone’s going to need to open their wallet if we are to hold our own in the division above. Let’s hope the new owners are that way inclined
Welcome back Johnny, missed your input mate. I share your thoughts on PC, I just hope there is something in this new ownership malarky cus am not convinced anymore. Make sure you hang around mate.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:19 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:37 am

"Whilst we want to keep making hay while the sun is shining, the reality is that if we have to change the team at some point, we have strong players looking to get in"

Downes in for .....?

What do you guys think?
Well for me, I would want to start building something with what we have got. I see very little point in giving loan players too.much game time, except for injury cover and reducing the toll of fixture congestion.

So for me, regardless of how Bennetts quality is questioned, he isn't the future, so a place on the bench at best. Same with the other loan signings. Let the players out of contract at the end of the season prove they are worthy of a new one. Let the youngsters stake a claim too. That said, I would expect minimal changes initially.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:49 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:19 am
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:37 am

Downes in for .....?

What do you guys think?
Well for me, I would want to start building something with what we have got. I see very little point in giving loan players too.much game time, except for injury cover and reducing the toll of fixture congestion.

So for me, regardless of how Bennetts quality is questioned, he isn't the future, so a place on the bench at best. Same with the other loan signings. Let the players out of contract at the end of the season prove they are worthy of a new one. Let the youngsters stake a claim too. That said, I would expect minimal changes initially.
Ok, if we get to a stage where we can’t get promoted, then I would agree. But Seeing as we’re back in the mix - we have to give ourselves the best chance. That means pick the best players - both our players and loan players. At the moment, though, the only loan player who we need in our first eleven is Parrott. I think Bennetts will make way for Edwards at some stage.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:52 am

I agree about Parrott, apart from One game I've been very impressed with the lad.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:59 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:54 am
JohnnyB wrote:
Welcome back Johnny, missed your input mate. I share your thoughts on PC, I just hope there is something in this new ownership malarky cus am not convinced anymore. Make sure you hang around mate.
Ah cheers Mike! I still keep an eye on things but my wife and I moved to Vietnam last August so now part of the ex-pat blue contingent. On the fortunes of the team, I’m always an optimist but I feel like we’ve gone past rock bottom and may be on the up again. A win against the Gills would only increase the feel-good factor. 🤞

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:59 am

number 9 wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:49 pm
hallamblue wrote:
She had a rum owd pair of thighs. Magnificent.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:12 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:59 am
Bluemike wrote:
JohnnyB wrote:
Ah cheers Mike! I still keep an eye on things but my wife and I moved to Vietnam last August so now part of the ex-pat blue contingent. On the fortunes of the team, I’m always an optimist but I feel like we’ve gone past rock bottom and may be on the up again. A win against the Gills would only increase the feel-good factor. 🤞
Oh wow, good for you mate, new beginnings and all that, once a Tractor Boy always a Tractor Boy !!!!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:48 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:59 am
Bluemike wrote:
JohnnyB wrote:
Fantastic stuff, Johnny. Youngest son done a month long Asian tour a few years back before heading on to his two year stint in Oz,......, was in Thai, Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam. And Vietnam topped his list. He'd definitely go back.
Massive move for you guys and well done.