Gillingham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

New Manager - can he keep the wins coming?

Gills Win
7%
Town Win
80%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

Tinytown

Re: Gillingham FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Tinytown » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:58 pm

Hopefully this result will make PC ditch this one up front sh*t ASAP.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:59 pm

So he was frustrated from the first couple of minutes ? He must have issues that need resolving

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:01 pm

Once again Paul Cook, welcome to Ipswich Town football club, supposedly the best squad in the division

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:01 pm

Commentary team spot on...."their (Gillingham's) keeper has hardly dirtied his gloves!

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:02 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:01 pm
Commentary team spot on...."their (Gillingham's) keeper has hardly dirtied his gloves!
He didn't make a save. Only one attempt on target and that was the goal.

When both teams have a passing accuracy of about 60%, you know it's been a sh*te game,

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:04 pm

We didn't lose today because of Norwood, we were poor as a team, full stop. No class all over the pitch

Second goal summed it up. Sears gives ball away then bang brilliant move by them and score. It was not just because of one player but 11. Only player for me who maybe comes out okay is Toto

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:04 pm

A win today would have put the team in the top six at least until other games went ahead. That's the frustrating sh*t here, opportunity is there but we do ourselves no favors sometimes. That's reason why I doubt we'll make it, too inconsistent, not enough cohesion in the team, attention and focus to other events away from the field. If Cook has been installed back in the summer maybe we'd be good for a promotion place now but all hypothetical.

Game is over it seems and we've lost 3 - 1. Frickin' annoying, recent scores did improve but missed an opportunity today. Just hope it's won't effect the team too much by end of season. New manager but same sh*t performance by and large. Cook has a task on his hands on no mistake, don't want to make judgments at this time but disappointed right now.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:04 pm

Trouble with losing an early kick off in that manner, it's 2 extra hours of feeling miserable! :(

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:07 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:04 pm
Trouble with losing an early kick off in that manner, it's 2 extra hours of feeling miserable! :(
and not even Marko to try and cheer us up :(

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:08 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:07 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Too true. :lol: :lol:

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:13 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:08 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
AzzurroMark wrote:
Can't even say lets meet up in the Cross Keys or the Feathers for a pint :x

Could do with a pint or two now

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:15 pm

Well at least today's performance puts more of an emphasis on the players, rather than the manager. I'm confident Cook will get it sorted, but the claims of us having the strongest squad are rubbish.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:16 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:13 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Steve and Jo wrote:

Could do with a pint or two now :lol:
Me too. Drown the sorrows of being a Town fan . :lol: :lol:

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:20 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:16 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:13 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:

Could do with a pint or two now :lol:
Me too. Drown the sorrows of being a Town fan . :lol: :lol:
Plate of bangers and mash with thick gravy and few pints of Adnams broadside would help to cheer me up

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:31 pm

I would say aside from Toto and Wilson the rest should hang their heads in shame cus it wasn't acceptable and some really shouldn't be near our first team based on that crap, Harrop, Bennetts, Edwards, Sears, Bishop, Dozzell and Parrott all looked absolutely garbage today while Norwood really needs to work on his discipline and reading the bloody offside rule, if any other player gave away as many fouls as he did we would hammer them.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:42 pm

Portsmouth losing 3-0 at Northampton :shock:

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:44 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:42 pm
Make that 4!!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:48 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:44 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Make that 4!!
It's a sh*t league with sh*t teams! :roll:

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:31 pm
I would say aside from Toto and Wilson the rest should hang their heads in shame cus it wasn't acceptable and some really shouldn't be near our first team based on that crap, Harrop, Bennetts, Edwards, Sears, Bishop, Dozzell and Parrott all looked absolutely garbage today while Norwood really needs to work on his discipline and reading the bloody offside rule, if any other player gave away as many fouls as he did we would hammer them.
Not disagreeing with you Mike, but i'm not hammering just Norwood but all as a team, useless. Yes I thought Toto came away with credit. Wilson also but blimey. Ipswich were poor today but it seems we will still be only 2 pts off top six place :astroll:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:05 pm

Well that was an eye opener for cookie, BUT he can now see what the problem is and he can start to list the ones for the exit door, personally I wasn't expecting any result here today as Gillingham have been picking up steady wins, and we have been awfully lucky with some recent results.

So lets not push for promotion this season, but let Paul Cook sort the whole bloody mess out, and I'll guarantee now if Evans is still here he wont back Cookie with bringing in some decent players that will get us up and away out of this sh*t league.

I'm too numb to even do some cussing, I can see Cookie phoning Lambert up tonight saying what the F**K have you left me player wise didn't you ever teach them where the F*****g goal is.

I blame Evans, all the time he's still here its like a voodoo curse on our club, so Marcus FFS take Gamechanger 20 Ltd offer and please just go.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:18 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:49 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:31 pm
Not disagreeing with you Mike, but i'm not hammering just Norwood but all as a team, useless. Yes I thought Toto came away with credit. Wilson also but blimey. Ipswich were poor today but it seems we will still be only 2 pts off top six place :astroll:
Mate I know you're not, I'm not either , what I am is a little bit shocked and a lot disappointed, I was expecting just a little bit of a new manager bounce but jesus christ is that it !! It was just shambolic from start to finish.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:25 pm

I'd like to see Dobra given another chance, hopefully on Tuesday. Who else should start?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:30 pm

Despite conceding 3 I don't believe our issues were in defence, Holy needs to calm down but for me the keeper and back Four should remain, the issue was Midfield, Downes has to start, I think Dozzell made need a break so stick with Bishop, I also think we should go with Jackson up front with Norwood and push Parrott out wide, probably Judge or Dobra on the other wing if available, where the hell is this Luke Thomas geezer ?

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:39 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:44 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Make that 4!!
Enough beer, open the whisky. Town lost and my £5 8 fold bet for 550 quid is winning apart from bloody Portsmouth. Feck football

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:40 pm

Great interview from Paul Cook, no bullshit, no excuses just honest assessment that we were not good enough and deserved nothing.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:44 pm

I know Mike and feel the same, so does rest of us fans.

The midfield had no bite nor somebody to take the game by scruff of its neck. The midfield was not one thing or the other. No playmaker, no class

Yes of course we need solid defence and also goal power but the midfield is the engine and today it was stalling..
We are in league one, not playing against the Liverpool's or Man City's, not even playing against Luton Town or Barnsley. No disrespect intended here but we are playing the Crewe's, the Doncaster's, the Fleetwood's and still not convincing. Why play these formations? We need to score goals yet we carry on with just one upfront. Norwood is not a lone striker type, for me push two up front, lets give the opposition pace and a guy who can hold up and play along side each other to trouble them. It was too easy for Gillingham today. Snuff out Norwood, watch him give fouls away and it worked

Football is not complicated, Just feel so obsessed with formations sometimes forget the principles still are to score and not concede

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:45 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:40 pm
Great interview from Paul Cook, no bullshit, no excuses just honest assessment that we were not good enough and deserved nothing.
Really do feel at last Mike we got a decent manager

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:49 pm

Ditto

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:56 pm

“We have too many players. You can’t coach too many players, you can’t have too many players happy, so certainly going forwards, we’ll lick our wounds from today and we’ll look forward to the Lincoln game on Tuesday night.”
Interesting statement from Cook.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:30 pm
Despite conceding 3 I don't believe our issues were in defence, Holy needs to calm down but for me the keeper and back Four should remain, the issue was Midfield, Downes has to start, I think Dozzell made need a break so stick with Bishop, I also think we should go with Jackson up front with Norwood and push Parrott out wide, probably Judge or Dobra on the other wing if available, where the hell is this Luke Thomas geezer ?
I agree to some extent. The defence wasn’t to blame for the first two goals at least. They were down to Dozell and Sears. They should have been told not to give away free kicks against a team that relies on high balls into the box - although all 3 were scored from the ground. And ehff Ed n you push players forward, you cdd sad by afford the dirt if awful pass that Sears made.

However I would say that although the midfield were poor, and I agree with you about Norwood giving away free kicks from the first minute, the defence didn’t help in the first half hour trying to play turn at their own game with hopeless high long balls. The midfield was bypassed by both teams for that half hour.

As I said earlier, when both teams have a passing accuracy of 60%, it’s Sunday league football. Whether our players are better than that or not I’m not sure, but we got sucked into playing that game. And it started from the defence.