Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

What's our response to the Gillingham result?

Town Win
7
39%
Imps Win
11
61%
Draw
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 18

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2181
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by rossi » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:07 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:04 pm
rossi wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:59 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:56 pm
I’d say a good point tonight . Well played lads .... in parts . A few players for me not cutting it....
sorry Liz but I cant agree there - I was totally bored with our game, gone back to sideways and backwards passing
Well lol yes I do actually agree Gary. I know I said well played but I think I meant that it terms of getting a point . I was bored , and frustrated by how we play the ball around it’s so bloody slow and laboured .
well of course getting a point is a plus, however undeserved :)

but I really was bored by our style and play and it gives me a quandary for Saturday - do I waste a tenner on ifollow and get bored shitless again, or do I have a quick flick?

Tinytown
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:11 pm

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Tinytown » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:08 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:00 pm
rossi wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:59 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:56 pm
I’d say a good point tonight . Well played lads .... in parts . A few players for me not cutting it....
sorry Liz but I cant agree there - I was totally bored with our game, gone back to sideways and backwards passing
Nutshell
Spot on. Very boring play no quality very pedestrian no goal threat. If we make the play offs it will be a total surprise.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19481
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:10 pm

I have a choice Saturday. Ipswich v Plymouth or count the rawl plugs in the van. The latter sounds appealing.

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4812
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:14 pm

I think after the first few minutes we started to play ok even of we were second best. But once we conceded and Lincoln sat back, we were clueless. We have no idea how to play against a side who sits back. It's not just the sideways football, so many passes go behind players which stops any forward momentum.

Back 4 did ok. But you can wee what's happened. We have swapped the young central pairing who could play the ball but can't defend for two more experienced players who can defend but aren't at all constructive. But we look tighter at the back with them.

I don't think Lankester and Downes are fully back up to speed since injury; but they won't get there without being given games. It's a difficult one.

I like Dozzell but he can't tackle and he isn't creating enough. Not a good game from him again.

A point we didn't deserve. Deadly slow but still better than the hoofball of Saturday.

JOHN DEERE
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:25 pm

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JOHN DEERE » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:15 pm

Very very lucky point. Still, that's a point more than I expected from the game.

Its still too early to see the impact of Cook's arrival so let's look at the positives: we are just outside the playoffs with games on hand over Portsmouth who are going through a really bad patch.

I am very confident we will end the season in the top six and anything can happen in the playoffs. Keep the faith!

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4812
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:16 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:10 pm
I have a choice Saturday. Ipswich v Plymouth or count the rawl plugs in the van. The latter sounds appealing.
And £10 cheaper. Think how many rawlplugs you could buy with that tenner.

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4812
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:17 pm

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:15 pm
Very very lucky point. Still, that's a point more than I expected from the game.

Its still too early to see the impact of Cook's arrival so let's look at the positives: we are just outside the playoffs with games on hand over Portsmouth who are going through a really bad patch.

I am very confident we will end the season in the top six and anything can happen in the playoffs. Keep the faith!
I lost the faith about 4 years ago, but I admire your optimism.

Tinytown
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:11 pm

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Tinytown » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:21 pm

I would be very happy if the following players never kick a ball again for Ipswich Town this season because they are crap.

Bennetts
Dozzell
Lankerster
Holy
Cornell
Judge
Harrop
James
Parrott.

I would like to see Dobra have a run of games and obviously two up front out of Norwood, Hawkins or Jackson.

Good night

hallamblue
Posts: 26089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:26 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:07 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:04 pm
rossi wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:59 pm


sorry Liz but I cant agree there - I was totally bored with our game, gone back to sideways and backwards passing
Well lol yes I do actually agree Gary. I know I said well played but I think I meant that it terms of getting a point . I was bored , and frustrated by how we play the ball around it’s so bloody slow and laboured .
well of course getting a point is a plus, however undeserved :)

but I really was bored by our style and play and it gives me a quandary for Saturday - do I waste a tenner on ifollow and get bored shitless again, or do I have a quick flick?
Fork out a £10 now Gary , every game ..,, we stand a good chance ( deservedly or not) of making those play offs .., then who knows , PC may have started to impose himself on this team/ squad ...,,

User avatar
Steve and Jo
Posts: 992
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:27 pm

Just would be nice to get out of first gear

I would be very disappointed if i was Lincoln fan. I thought Ipswich looked static and there for the taking

Pleased with the point and who knows, we might kick on but we need a midfield to actually have intent. I thought Bishop was better than Dozzell and unlucky to be taken off.. Bennetts is waste of space. over paid clapped out run and lose it winger. Edwards is better for me out of the two.

Again I ask, we lack goals so why not play two upfront. All these different formations for me just complicate the issue

Sheeeeesh i am ranting when before game be pleased with a point

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9235
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by saint jude » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:28 pm

Only got score a moment ago been too busy to participate et cetera. Viewing some of the responses hot off the press seems we were ineffective once again, game was crap by and large, maybe we were fortunate to take a point from it. In defense still getting information, can sort out the right and wrongs when time permits it. No sense in putting any blame Cook's way, only two games in, you can't berate a new name this soon after coming in but fact is it's one point from available six. This is nowhere near form for a promotion push, you got to realize - if not already - the team is unlikely to feature at end of season.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19481
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:28 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:16 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:10 pm
I have a choice Saturday. Ipswich v Plymouth or count the rawl plugs in the van. The latter sounds appealing.
And £10 cheaper. Think how many rawlplugs you could buy with that tenner.
:lol:

hallamblue
Posts: 26089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:29 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:14 pm
I think after the first few minutes we started to play ok even of we were second best. But once we conceded and Lincoln sat back, we were clueless. We have no idea how to play against a side who sits back. It's not just the sideways football, so many passes go behind players which stops any forward momentum.

Back 4 did ok. But you can wee what's happened. We have swapped the young central pairing who could play the ball but can't defend for two more experienced players who can defend but aren't at all constructive. But we look tighter at the back with them.

I don't think Lankester and Downes are fully back up to speed since injury; but they won't get there without being given games. It's a difficult one.

I like Dozzell but he can't tackle and he isn't creating enough. Not a good game from him again.

A point we didn't deserve. Deadly slow but still better than the hoofball of Saturday.
I agree about being clueless and imps sitting back . But you know this is where Dozzell should be earning his corn.... but does he? No he doesn’t , anywhere near . I actually prefer Bishop. Different type of footballer , but he makes things happen coz he runs st the defence and is a very clever player imo .

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23556
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:29 pm

I think we have to realise there is absolutely no Paul Cook influence just yet, been here a week with very little time on the training ground, it will take time and he will get us there, albeit possibly not this season.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19481
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:30 pm

saint jude wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:28 pm
Only got score a moment ago been too busy to participate et cetera. Viewing some of the responses hot off the press seems we were ineffective once again, game was crap by and large, maybe we were fortunate to take a point from it. In defense still getting information, can sort out the right and wrongs when time permits it. No sense in putting any blame Cook's way, only two games in, you can't berate a new name this soon after coming in but fact is it's one point from available six. This is nowhere near form for a promotion push, you got to realize - if not already - the team is unlikely to feature at end of season.
Saint....... can you elaborate on what you do JUST prior to games finishing.

You always JUST get the score.

Is it bath time? Rubber ducks?

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2181
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by rossi » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:32 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:29 pm
I think we have to realise there is absolutely no Paul Cook influence just yet, been here a week with very little time on the training ground, it will take time and he will get us there, albeit possibly not this season.
I hope you are right, Mike - but I think that to achieve that in this division he will have to play 2 up front and I'm not convinced he's the type to bite the bullet

User avatar
Steve and Jo
Posts: 992
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:33 pm
Location: Norfolk

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:32 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:30 pm
saint jude wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:28 pm
Only got score a moment ago been too busy to participate et cetera. Viewing some of the responses hot off the press seems we were ineffective once again, game was crap by and large, maybe we were fortunate to take a point from it. In defense still getting information, can sort out the right and wrongs when time permits it. No sense in putting any blame Cook's way, only two games in, you can't berate a new name this soon after coming in but fact is it's one point from available six. This is nowhere near form for a promotion push, you got to realize - if not already - the team is unlikely to feature at end of season.
Saint....... can you elaborate on what you do JUST prior to games finishing.

You always JUST get the score.

Is it bath time? Rubber ducks?

OMG Marko, you crease me up :)

hallamblue
Posts: 26089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:33 pm

saint jude wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:28 pm
Only got score a moment ago been too busy to participate et cetera. Viewing some of the responses hot off the press seems we were ineffective once again, game was crap by and large, maybe we were fortunate to take a point from it. In defense still getting information, can sort out the right and wrongs when time permits it. No sense in putting any blame Cook's way, only two games in, you can't berate a new name this soon after coming in but fact is it's one point from available six. This is nowhere near form for a promotion push, you got to realize - if not already - the team is unlikely to feature at end of season.

Yes Saint that’s about the crux of it.... 👍

Cook will paddle his way through this largely lethargic squad and identify who will stay and who will go .... these players don’t seem to get it that they are playing for their jobs here. If sack 95% of the senior pros tbh . Utter dross the lot of em

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9235
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by saint jude » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:44 pm

What you want a dossier of what I get up to, nothing to tell although attempted to catch the last quarter of it, damn thing was just about over. Seems didn't miss much.

Say it once only but McInnes left Aberdeen a day or two back. Been impressed with him actually and makes you think if we had held out a while longer for a new manager could have been an area to explore. Wasn't hot on Cook coming in to begin with although now the decision was made you got to provide support for the individual whether you're with or against it. Point being would have been interesting to see how McInnes would have done with us, it's a f**king buffalo stampede in the SPL if you're not a Glasgow club side but an opportunity in the lower leagues of England ? Just think would could have been, got the experience and no two unmovable objects to stand in your way. Prepared to give Cook a chance although hasn't been the start he our any one of the fanbase would have wished for.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19481
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:47 pm

1 goal in NINE games at Aberdeen, Saint. The sheep are suicidal. You want McInnes at Portman Road? Nae danger in my opinion.

User avatar
Dubai Blue
Posts: 4617
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Dubai, UAE

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:34 am

Great result. Now we have to beat Plymouth to make it count. At this stage of the season it's just about points. I'm not going to judge PC for some time yet.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19481
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:46 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:34 am
Great result. Now we have to beat Plymouth to make it count. At this stage of the season it's just about points. I'm not going to judge PC for some time yet.
Really? A "great" result? At Portman Road?

I guess that's what makes sports forums so entertaining I suppose. The diversity of opinion.

Not just sports forums though, ........, cooking forums as well and their mustard in the macaroni BS. No. Wrong!!

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23556
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:00 pm

I think looking at Lincoln's away form this season and how bang average we were for much of the game I suppose it was a decent point gained, One small thing that did please me was the way Cook made the triple substitution and it definitely had an impact as we finished the game stronger and on the front foot.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19481
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:08 pm

Yes, definitely go along with decent. More mediocre if tied in with performance.

But "great"? At full time last night, "great" wasn't in the vicinity of my vocab.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 19481
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:39 pm

"GREAT" result v Lincoln City........ but for the love of the Most High, the club need to aspire to MORE.


Or .......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ACMcjbmniC8

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 23556
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:46 pm

Bloody hell Marko, Seven of those teams are not even in the Football league now !!!! :shock:

User avatar
rossi
Posts: 2181
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:18 pm
Location: Broomfield

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by rossi » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:58 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:14 pm
I think after the first few minutes we started to play ok even of we were second best. But once we conceded and Lincoln sat back, we were clueless. We have no idea how to play against a side who sits back. It's not just the sideways football, so many passes go behind players which stops any forward momentum.

Back 4 did ok. But you can wee what's happened. We have swapped the young central pairing who could play the ball but can't defend for two more experienced players who can defend but aren't at all constructive. But we look tighter at the back with them.

I don't think Lankester and Downes are fully back up to speed since injury; but they won't get there without being given games. It's a difficult one.

I like Dozzell but he can't tackle and he isn't creating enough. Not a good game from him again.

A point we didn't deserve. Deadly slow but still better than the hoofball of Saturday.
ah, that's where we differ on opinions Andy: because I would rather watch hoofball all day than watch the negative, tentative, mind-numbingly boring, slow, sideways and backwards passing game that we employed last night - that's not the way to score goals. At least with hoofball the ball spends a bit of time in the last third of the pitch

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9235
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by saint jude » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:36 pm

One final mention of this then allow to move on to next fixture/s. Haven't seen highlights as yet, by all reports it wasn't up to much and two goals to offer. Had it been a higher scoring game or showed a bit more determination most likely would have viewed by now but by nature still time.

Caught the seemingly obligatory response from TWTD and while respect people's opinion don't like how some get shot down or castigated for what seems fair or innocuous observation regards team performance. You can pretty much encapsulate the status or things by saying last night was regular as what you could expect. Cook has been in position two games, any solution or improvement is going to take time and effort here, there is no overnight fix to what the club requires. There's so many factors causing problems out there, the virus pandemic, no crowds in attendance, the takeover business, a new manager once again, it's going to be tough for the players out there. I'd like to think a corner has been turned since the end of year and when Evans does finally get his as* out and away from the club set-up, with the right investment and new ownership progress can hopefully once again be made.

As a last, caught view of subject on the Pink Un forum today about how they've progressed the last 20 years ahead of us with multiple promotion championships, success in junior competition, and while it wasn't necessarily mentioned, the ability to sell out to capacity Carrow Road most match days when it were possible / owners and directors that actually care and have the very best intentions to the team and something to be envied. Point being you can't fault them for it. Seems while they're on way to add another league championship and promotion in a few weeks time, we ourselves as stuck in a league below trying for a promotion push than in all truth may not happen. Miss the East Anglia derby games you know, Yes we haven't beaten those fucks for 10 years or more now, but if you're not in the same league to try and better that record, what us is it.

User avatar
Dubai Blue
Posts: 4617
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Dubai, UAE

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:26 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:08 pm
Yes, definitely go along with decent. More mediocre if tied in with performance.

But "great"? At full time last night, "great" wasn't in the vicinity of my vocab.
Marko, 'great' because I'm only concerned with the result. A point against Lincoln is great from my point of view given where we are and what we want to achieve. Along with some other solid results recently we must be building up the players' belief nicely now. Look where we were only a few weeks ago.

PC will sort out performances in time and he needs time to do this but right now, as I said in the original post, it's only results that matter.

hallamblue
Posts: 26089
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Ipswich Town vs Lincoln City Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:49 am

100% agree with you there DB! Lets hope we can start to build up some momentum no going into these last 14 games. Its in our own hands isn't it .

Post Reply