Ipswich Town vs Plymouth Argyle Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

PC's first win?

Ipswich Win
63%
Plymouth Win
25%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 16

Steve and Jo

Re: Ipswich Town vs Plymouth Argyle Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:15 pm

Been more said if loss I think

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:27 pm

Accepting mediocrity just because we won was the start of McCarthy's downfall. Of course I'm glad we won but really was unimpressed. Our early dominance was down to some of the worst opposition play I've seen for years, they did nothing but pass the ball to us or out of play. I'm not expecting miracles. Our keeper was rooted to the goal line, the left half of defence was poor, the midfield struggled once Downes went off, the front players showed a complete inability to score, and the only effect of the substitutions was to replace like with inferior like or make us play even deeper and more defensively. That leaves very few players who played well. Like I say, pleased we got three points but it was not entertaining. I know, it's a results-based business, it's put us back in the playoff positions, but it wasn't a performance that would suggest we could win a play-off match.
Hopefully given time things will improve.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:34 pm

This site was getting much better for a few months, ....... it’s sort of sliding back into people bothering about what peoples opinions are other than discussing the football itself.
Hopefully that doesn’t continue as it’s boring and no one wants to read it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:40 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:20 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:14 pm
saint jude wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:04 pm
I got a full-time score in that we won.
The pigeon arrived a little later than usual, Saint?
Was it a Pigeon or a Parrot ?
You’d think it was a pigeon carrying a parrot at the lateness of finding out the results.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:40 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:27 pm
Accepting mediocrity just because we won was the start of McCarthy's downfall. Of course I'm glad we won but really was unimpressed. Our early dominance was down to some of the worst opposition play I've seen for years, they did nothing but pass the ball to us or out of play. I'm not expecting miracles. Our keeper was rooted to the goal line, the left half of defence was poor, the midfield struggled once Downes went off, the front players showed a complete inability to score, and the only effect of the substitutions was to replace like with inferior like or make us play even deeper and more defensively. That leaves very few players who played well. Like I say, pleased we got three points but it was not entertaining. I know, it's a results-based business, it's put us back in the playoff positions, but it wasn't a performance that would suggest we could win a play-off match.
Hopefully given time things will improve.
Spot on ,couldn't of put it better myself. Pleased with the win but if we continue playing like that,we are not going anywhere this season.

Superchef1

Post by Superchef1 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:50 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:34 pm
This site was getting much better for a few months, ....... it’s sort of sliding back into people bothering about what peoples opinions are other than discussing the football itself.
I have to agree with you on that one Marko! I don't post much, but do read the comments.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:52 pm

Playing like that and winning!
Hay ho can only get better eh?

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:54 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:34 pm
Well they can always go onto that other site and take on the mafia there😀

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:48 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:52 pm
Playing like that and winning!
Hay ho can only get better eh?
I completely agree! If you can win when you’ve played poor, it’s only positive. Save the negativity for losses.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:03 pm

I’m just taking each game as it comes from now until the end of the season. Paul Cook is having to work with a large and largely dysfunctional squad, that has until PC’s appointment been poorly coached IMO. A new manager can’t just undo all of that in a couple of games. He will frankly take the remainder of this season , just to start to get know the players names...there’s over 40 players in this squad, utterly ridiculous!

If PC get us into the playoffs at the end of the season on the back of “a 16 game PC season”, Id be ecstatic, because until he walked through that door we were dead and buried for yet another season. So atm we have a glimmer of hope. I don’t care HOW we get there. Now is (IMHO), not the time to be worrying about the aesthetics of how we play....thats for PC and his coaches over the summer pre season and any new players he brings in to sort out. And he will. ATM it ONLY about 3 points per game, and getting over that PO line.

So are we all with him and the team for these last 13 league games, or not guys?

Let’s make it happen. COYBs 👍

Superchef1

Post by Superchef1 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:13 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:03 pm
I’m just taking each game as it comes from now until the end of the season. Paul Cook is having to work with a large and largely dysfunctional squad, that has until PC’s appointment been poorly coached IMO. A new manager can’t just undo all of that in a couple of games. He will frankly take the remainder of this season , just to start to get know the players names...there’s over 40 players in this squad, utterly ridiculous!

If PC get us into the playoffs at the end of the season on the back of “a 16 game PC season”, Id be ecstatic, because until he walked through that door we were dead and buried for yet another season. So atm we have a glimmer of hope. I don’t care HOW we get there. Now is (IMHO), not the time to be worrying about the aesthetics of how we play....thats for PC and his coaches over the summer pre season and any new players he brings in to sort out. And he will. ATM it ONLY about 3 points per game, and getting over that PO line.

So are we all with him and the team for these last 13 league games, or not guys?

Totally Agree Hallamblue :)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:30 pm

Anyone overcome with negativity........, Imagine being Salford fans. Holders of the EFL Trophy for 24 hours. :lol: :lol: :lol: Dear oh dear. This Covid thing really created some weird scenarios.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:34 pm

hallamblue wrote:
.....because until he walked through that door we were dead and buried for yet another season.....
Good post Hallam, but that particular part isn't accurate. When he walked through the door, Ipswich were unbeaten in 5 games, 11 points from 15......., forget the play-offs ----->> that's promotion form.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:11 pm

Very confused by some of the above comments. It sounds as if some here don’t want dissenters from their opinion

I’ve always been honest about my views. I want to watch a team trying to play well. Off I think we have played well I’ll say so. If I think we were poor, I’ll say so.

I watched two matches today. I watched Luton lose 1-0 to Swansea. Swansea went 1 up after 3 minutes. Luton took them apart for much of the rest of the game but lacked a cutting edge. They probably deserved to lose because of that but it was (apart from the result) great to watch. But just because Luton landed a cutting edge it didn’t mean Swansea deserved to win. They were poor. According to the commentaries they have crept into the top 3 after getting points from a series of poor performances.

I think the parallels with Ipswich are quite striking. I won’t say any more. But if you want a forum of happy clappers with no dissenting voices, I’ll leave you to it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:19 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:34 pm
hallamblue wrote:
.....because until he walked through that door we were dead and buried for yet another season.....
Good post Hallam, but that particular part isn't accurate. When he walked through the door, Ipswich were unbeaten in 5 games, 11 points from 15......., forget the play-offs ----->> that's promotion form.
Problem is marko, we’d had these false dawns under PL last season, I’d out very much we’d have maintained it. And whose to say this upturn in form for a few games didn’t coincide with the breaking news/ rumours of take over talks and Cooks name being mentioned. The players don’t appear to be sorry that PL has gone. The upturn in form was a complete turnaround, as was Lamberts demeanour ( I’d commented on this at the time).....all seems very odd to me .

If we make those POs I will consider it a really good turnaround given our form over the last 2-3 seasons. But the squad needs to be dismantled over the summer. It’s poor. Underperforming, and stale.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:22 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:11 pm
Very confused by some of the above comments. It sounds as if some here don’t want dissenters from their opinion

I’ve always been honest about my views. I want to watch a team trying to play well. Off I think we have played well I’ll say so. If I think we were poor, I’ll say so.

I watched two matches today. I watched Luton lose 1-0 to Swansea. Swansea went 1 up after 3 minutes. Luton took them apart for much of the rest of the game but lacked a cutting edge. They probably deserved to lose because of that but it was (apart from the result) great to watch. But just because Luton landed a cutting edge it didn’t mean Swansea deserved to win. They were poor. According to the commentaries they have crept into the top 3 after getting points from a series of poor performances.

I think the parallels with Ipswich are quite striking. I won’t say any more. But if you want a forum of happy clappers with no dissenting voices, I’ll leave you to it.
I suppose that just kinda supports my recent post that it’s about the points now , rather than how a team plays.

Not sure about the post regarding different opinions...maybe I haven’t been reading all the posts closely enough to notice if I’m being honest. But keep posting Andy please x

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:27 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:11 pm

Nothing to do with happy clappers! But to say we will get nowhere with performances like today doesn’t ring true does it?
We won not playing well so stands to reason IF Cook can get us playing better who knows where we will finish.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:51 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:19 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:34 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Problem is marko, we’d had these false dawns under PL last season, I’d out very much we’d have maintained it. And whose to say this upturn in form for a few games didn’t coincide with the breaking news/ rumours of take over talks and Cooks name being mentioned.
Yep, very true.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:59 pm

Btw I’ve just seen Chris Wilder has just been given the order of the boot at Sheffield Utd .....wonder if Lambo will apply for the job?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:26 am

Don't care what Lambert does now if honest, he's yesterdays man here. Caused enough havoc, if someone else has him it's their misfortune (or carelessness)

Seen highlights now from today and as always if never shows enough to gain an understanding of what occurred but better than nothing at all. The goal came from a defensive error, Parrott first goal away from Tottenham for all his loan appearances if correct but if three points today makes a difference by end of season he would have made a worthwhile contribution.

Looking at the games ahead there appears real opportunity to do something. Fleetwood, Bristol Rovers, Rochdale, a triple-feature with Wimbledon and Wigan Athletic also. The latter maybe improved last few weeks but still beatable and then some.

Not often you could look at the league and see us in a top six position. We got no divine right to be promotion material : you knew when dropping in to the third league it were going to be tough. The Evans issue of the ownership carousel remains in motion, you kind of wish for some settlement but at such a pivotal part of the season when players need to stay focused could cause more problems than solution with what games remain. We'd be a much more appealing proposition for new ownership as a Championship / Second League club name. Go full out for it now and resolve the issue in the summer.

Caught a section of Cook after todays game where he showed vigor and motivated to the task ahead. Getting that first win was paramount but it's ours to miss out now what with the games ahead already listed. The game at Portsmouth coming up is critical, could be winner takes all regards promotion. Win that, and the rest should take care of itself.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:15 am

I think there’s a real chance of promotion. Teams who hit the play offs at this stage of the season often seem to do better than those who’ve hung about in the zone all year, and PC seems capable of organising the players well and building espirit de corps. It might not be pretty but results can be ground out.

But, new owner or not, how many of the current squad have the quality to succeed in the championship?

Downes yes, maybe Dozzell, possibly Bish and perhaps some of the younger players coming through. Anyone else?

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:16 am

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:15 am
I think there’s a real chance of promotion. Teams who hit the play offs at this stage of the season often seem to do better than those who’ve hung about in the zone all year, and PC seems capable of organising the players well and building espirit de corps. It might not be pretty but results can be ground out.

But, new owner or not, how many of the current squad have the quality to succeed in the championship?

Downes yes, maybe Dozzell, possibly Bish and perhaps some of the younger players coming through. Anyone else?
Not sure what players would cope in Championship as it depends much on how they are set up and motivated but for me, the opportunity to find out would be a great problem to have! Add to this the small question of any takeover and potentially new funds (a long shot and wishful thinking at present, I know) and you never know. Lets get this season done and next season will start to shape up COYB's!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:49 am

I can almost guarantee that if / when Town do get promoted, the players that achieved that will play very little football for Town in the Championship. PC will be brining in a new breed of player - and if we are taken over, expect the quality of that player to be several steps higher than what’s currently in this squad . These players are playing for their futures, or unemployment!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:52 am

hallamblue wrote:

Bang on, sadly it seems playing fantastic football but losing is more acceptable, 3 bloody games Cook has been here, who gives a toss that we didn't get 90 mins all our own way ? Some say Norwood is crucial to us, well he was missing, we then lost the linchpin of our Midfield, we had Jackson playing his first game after returning from the salt mines of Siberia, and no time on the training ground to change much at all.

It always riles me how we have to accept reading the negative sh*te but mustn't be positive about a win just because it wasn't in the style of Barcelona, maybe just maybe some were happy after the full time whistle yesterday and really don't want to read all doom and gloom straight away again, it works both ways.

We won ffs, who cares how ? Who cares if it was deserved or not, we won !!! All I know is some watch a different game to me at times, they had nothing on target, nothing !!!!! Their keeper made Three good saves from Judge's free kicks and one on ones against Parrott and Jackson, I guess some missed them along with the good piece of play Skuse did that everyone chose to miss because it was Skuse, who has been out a year by the way, but I suppose in the heads of town fans, or at least some of them he should have returned playing like Steven Gerrard or something, watch the bloody game and then comment if you miss bits of a film you have no idea of the real storyline, same thing here.

Tinytown

Post by Tinytown » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:04 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:10 pm
I kind of agree ITFCNo1
Which bit? The question if I am actually a Town which is insulting or the fact I said we got 3pts let's move on? There is history on this site of individuals having a go about people being a Town fan or not. I noticed Valley Road seems to get it and now me. Sad really, probably why it only gets 10 regular posters. :roll:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:21 am

Nothing to do with you or your comments, they are irrelevant to me.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:42 am

Isn’t there a bit of an over-reaction about how everyone feels about the game. Why should there be just one point of view allowed?

Very happy with the 3 points, but it’s a talking point about how we can’t impose ourselves more often in a game. If the first 20 minutes is hopefully Cook’s influence, then that’s encouraging - lot more energy and high pressIng. We can’t do that for ninety minutes, but, even so, we have got to get more on the front foot at times and not play so deep. We can’t rely on backs to wall defending all the time. I think Toto and Wilson have probably had the biggest influence over the recent improved results. They got dragged around yesterday, but they headed, cleared and put the tackles in, with Kenlock assisting well. But if they’re our best players, then that says something about the rest. Even though Dozzell and Bishop might be our most talented players - not sure they’ve ever controlled the midfield before in a game of football. Bursts of magic here and there- but luxury players and too lightweight if they’re playing together. Downes will be a big miss if he’s out for long. For all the midfielders we’ve got- Downes is the only one with bite who can drive us forward. I would hope Cook will be looking at getting another midfielder during the summer like Downes.

I’m pleased for cook that he got this win. I think he’s a great appointment, but he’s likely to have a real influence over time, especially when he can bring his own players in. This takes the pressure off him a bit and keeps us in the hunt. Not sure where we’ll get the goals from, but the back four are just about holding up.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:50 am

hallamblue wrote:

Spot on Liz - we all know the problems that PC has inherited, namely a huge squad devoid of quality.

For me, it's enough that we managed to get 3 points at home yesterday. Sure we ought to have wrapped it up before half time, and would have done so but for some woeful finishing, but I thought we made hard work of it second half and a better team than Plymouth would have scored at least one. But 3 ;points is 3 points.

Things are certainly looking a bit better than they were 4 weeks ago, so onwards and upwards.

We have at least a good chance of making the play-offs but a lot will depend on whether or not we can start scoring more goals. That's a worry, because to me Jackson once again looked crap yesterday, Norwood needs 10 chances to convert 1, Drinan and Hawkins not exactly prolific in front of goal, so I'm still wondering where the goals are going to come from

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:51 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:42 am
Isn’t there a bit of an over-reaction about how everyone feels about the game. Why should there be just one point of view allowed?

Very happy with the 3 points, but it’s a talking point about how we can’t impose ourselves more often in a game. If the first 20 minutes is hopefully Cook’s influence, then that’s encouraging - lot more energy and high pressIng. We can’t do that for ninety minutes, but, even so, we have got to get more on the front foot at times and not play so deep. We can’t rely on backs to wall defending all the time. I think Toto and Wilson have probably had the biggest influence over the recent improved results. They got dragged around yesterday, but they headed, cleared and put the tackles in, with Kenlock assisting well. But if they’re our best players, then that says something about the rest. Even though Dozzell and Bishop might be our most talented players - not sure they’ve ever controlled the midfield before in a game of football. Bursts of magic here and there- but luxury players and too lightweight if they’re playing together. Downes will be a big miss if he’s out for long. For all the midfielders we’ve got- Downes is the only one with bite who can drive us forward. I would hope Cook will be looking at getting another midfielder during the summer like Downes.

I’m pleased for cook that he got this win. I think he’s a great appointment, but he’s likely to have a real influence over time, especially when he can bring his own players in. This takes the pressure off him a bit and keeps us in the hunt. Not sure where we’ll get the goals from, but the back four are just about holding up.
Exactly, there should never be just One point of view allowed, never have or would say that but I think it is lost at times as to how long Cook has been here, we are gong through change and yes we all know we aren't very good right now, there are a lot of things to improve upon but it would be nice to just enjoy a win for a little while at least. For me Hallam was bang on, these next 14 games should juts be about winning them, it doesn't matter how, lets just all get behind Cook, take One game at a time and see where it goes. Next season we can talk about formations, style of play, squad depth and all that because Cook's influence will warrant it along with any praise or criticism that comes his way, for what it's worth I thought his post match interview was superb, honest and accurate.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:54 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:50 am
hallamblue wrote:

Spot on Liz - we all know the problems that PC has inherited, namely a huge squad devoid of quality.

For me, it's enough that we managed to get 3 points at home yesterday. Sure we ought to have wrapped it up before half time, and would have done so but for some woeful finishing, but I thought we made hard work of it second half and a better team than Plymouth would have scored at least one. But 3 ;points is 3 points.

Things are certainly looking a bit better than they were 4 weeks ago, so onwards and upwards.

We have at least a good chance of making the play-offs but a lot will depend on whether or not we can start scoring more goals. That's a worry, because to me Jackson once again looked crap yesterday, Norwood needs 10 chances to convert 1, Drinan and Hawkins not exactly prolific in front of goal, so I'm still wondering where the goals are going to come from
Spot on Gary, Gary that is an interesting point you make about Jackson cus I was about to post how I thought he did ok alone up front and for me we created more yesterday with him in that position, you disagree ? he had a great chance early doors, also was involved when Parrott had a good chance and ran the channel well to set up Judge who flunked a great chance, I thought that was the best he's ever led the line lol.